• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Banjo didn't come from DKC3. If you remember, Banjo Kazooie was originally Project Dream and starred a human.

Banjos debut was DKR too.

I think what he meant is that Banjo is supposed to be from that same race of bears from DKC3 and that it might have been Rare's intention for Banjo to be apart oft he DKC universe.

Canon

Banned
It really pisses me off that the score might turn off some potential customers just because he didn't know how to play this game or wanted Metroid instead.

There's no way it's worse than DKCR, and that is in no way a 6.

It really pisses me off that the score might turn off some potential customers just because he didn't know how to play this game or wanted Metroid instead.

There's no way it's worse than DKCR, and that is in no way a 6.

(a) You haven't even read his justification for why he scored the game the way he did.

(b) You're already making the same lame excuses for the score that we hear for every low-scoring game ("The reviewer sucks!" or "They didn't see the game for what it really was!")

(c) You haven't even played it yourself.

This is everything bad about review comments in one single post.

(a) You haven't even read his justification for why he scored the game the way he did.

(b) You're already making the same lame excuses for the score that we hear for every low-scoring game ("The reviewer sucks!" or "They didn't see the game for what it really was!")

(c) You haven't even played it yourself.

This is everything bad about review comments in one single post.

I agree, but with the history of reviewers and reviews being what they are, I understand people's reactions. The problems concerning reviews in general are complex and involve everyone... Gamers, reviewers, review sites, developers, publishers, etc.

Reknoc

clicked on the spoiler track on the first page expecting it to be the same as the spoiler track in the jp website thread... i was not prepared omg

david wise :bow :bow :bow

I'm sitting here listening to the DKC remixes from DKCR and am just frothing at the mouth waiting for the new game. I've been on total blackout when it comes to the soundtrack for the new game. So excited.

W1-1 Record is
1"34'61
, and nothing in the top 7 is over
1"40'.
Of course, the partner character used was
Cranky
. Watching the video I was in complete awe.

My record is
2"11'07
right now using
Diddy.
, which is close to the cut off for a silver medal at
2"10'

EDIT: Same player has the 1-2 record. That video was even more impressive.

Already reserved my nephews wiiu for next week as huge DK snes fan. They get to keep the game offcourse, it's not something they would buy themselves I think, so everybody wins! I will give them a snes with the trilogy afterwards, little gamers also need education. ;)

That music is amazing by the way.

Kid Ying

The loadings arent as bad as they looked, but when You enter the game and when You start the game are pretty awful. The loading between the map and the levels are not tha bad... Normally. Some levels take a while, but they are pretty rare.

I think this is the only complaint i have. Also, for those who like, You can play on the wiimote.

I kind of wish there was a way to share the videos on your Miiverse profile. Maybe I'm missing it, but it seems that you can't, nor can you scroll through the full leader board, only the Top 8 (7 if you have your own record). You can filter by your friends, and the 6 people closest to you (usually 3 people faster and 3 slower than you),but you can't scroll through the whole thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm kind of confused by the prospect of a game like this receiving low scores.

All indications point to this being a sequel which manages to solve all of the problems of the original game which was already incredible. No more waggle, a David Wise soundtrack, and some interesting new level themes seem more than adequate to me.

Seems like it's going to be a stellar platformer. I don't think it's fair to subtract points based on the fact that it's nothing new. That's just insane.

rjc571

Banned

All indications point to this being a sequel which manages to solve all of the problems of the original game which was already incredible. No more waggle, a David Wise soundtrack, and some interesting new level themes seem more than adequate to me.

Seems like it's going to be a stellar platformer. I don't think it's fair to subtract points based on the fact that it's nothing new. That's just insane.

I stopped paying attention to mainstream reviews once I realized that 99% of reviewers were either incompetent or intentionally wrote controversial reviews to incite fanboy wars and generate hits. You should do the same.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

If this is one reviewer, it's ok. If this will be common among the reviewers it would be more worrying. But let's see, at what hour the embargo will be lifted?

Phazon

Embargo is over now for press. Reviews are going up. I'll toss ours in the review thread once there is one :p

(we gave it 82/100)

JoeM86

Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad
Dull, derivative level design
Employs some cheap and frustrating platforming tricks
Harsh checkpoints during boss battles

Anyone with the game agree?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad

So, is it 5/10? (I have no access to gamespot from work)?

Practically because it's difficult? (as a sequel to the best and most difficult platformer of the last gen) Great!

kubus

Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad

We had a review copy for a couple of weeks and um, no.

Harsh checkpoints?

Learn to play the game. Yeah the bosses are tough, if you can't deal with that, buy some extra balloons or a heart.

Cheap platforming tricks? The one thing I praise the game for is that while the game is hard, it never feels unfair. Only the minecart and rocket levels felt a bit like trial and error, but you can still beat those in one go if you can get into the 'flow' and have good reflexes.

I hate to play this card, but to me it sounds like the reviewer just sucked at the game and instead of resorting to items to help him, he blames the game for having bad game design.

I haven't finished reading it though, maybe he has some valid points.

edit: finished reading the review. I disagree with almost everything. Like we played completely different games.

Top Bottom