• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

maxcriden

I'm enjoying the game, but it's so absolutely unfun to be stuck on the world two boss and be unable to advance at all, just try to beat it for the sixtieth time. Yes, I'm a noob and this is the easysauce early worlds and you've got mad skillz, spare me.

No, that was a very hard boss! You won't find any haters here. I would definitely try the advice posted above. Good luck!

Oidisco

I'm enjoying the game, but it's so absolutely unfun to be stuck on the world two boss and be unable to advance at all, just try to beat it for the sixtieth time. Yes, I'm a noob and this is the easysauce early worlds and you've got mad skillz, spare me.

You're not alone. I watched a stream the other day where these 2 people spent over 40-minutes trying to beat that boss. He's pretty damn tough.

Timeaisis

Use those items. No shame in that. +Heart, Banana Juice makes it easier.

Just want to say I LOVE the bosses so far in this game. Very challenging and rewarding. Completely different from your typical platformer boss.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You can actually stock up to three Partner Barrels.

Get Dixie in another level, and bring her with you. Basically, you'll have FOUR Dixie's to burn through with the boss.

Kinsei

Banned
Where's the last puzzle piece in 2-4
I found the secret exit and thought it was up the wall, but that led to the regular exit, did I miss it or what?

You're probably missing the bonus room that you have to enter while riding the log. After the N go underneath the next Puffton (Big owl) and you'll go through a passage in the wall to a bonus room. It might be the one after that though, so if you die then just go to the next one.

The lack of an Iwata Asks is really grinding my gears. C'mon Iwata, take a break from trying to save Nintendo and have a nice laughing session with your friends at Retro Studios.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
heh, I never even thought of using items or stocking up on barrels. would have saved me a good couple of tries on the level 2 boss. He was pretty rough.

But at least now I can brag about my mad skillz :p

Kriken

You're probably missing the bonus room that you have to enter while riding the log. After the N go underneath the next Puffton (Big owl) and you'll go through a passage in the wall to a bonus room. It might be the one after that though, so if you die then just go to the next one.

That sounds about right, never hit a bonus room and all the other pieces were clearly visible

Deku Tree

I need to remember to turn up the volume on my Wii U Pad when I get home. Been playing with the U Pad volume off this whole time...

God, I can't stop thinking about this game.....and I've already finished it!

That's the mark of a true classic right there. I'm dying to play through the entire thing again!

Bravo Retro, bravo.

jts

...hate me...
Because Iwata is under a lot of stress these days and some laughing would do him good. He should do Pikmin 3 too so he can get double the laughs.
Considering recent events and results, he probably thinks that doing a new Iwata Asks, light-hearted as it is, wouldn't be very honourable or well taken at the moment.

Kinsei

Banned
I took a few screenshots, there shouldn't be any spoilers in them though, just a scene from the first trailer, an Easter egg, and an enemy figurine.

wAtWj2d.jpg

This was a scene in the first trailer but it looks so good that I had to take a screenshot of it.

If you hang out in the water at the very stat of Amiss Abyss for a while some whales will swim by in the background.

Best enemy in the game. I love how the fishes eyes are Xed out.

Neiteio

I took a few screenshots, there shouldn't be any spoilers in them though, just a scene from the first trailer, an Easter egg, and an enemy figurine.

This was a scene in the first trailer but it looks so good that I had to take a screenshot of it.

If you hang out in the water at the very stat of Amiss Abyss for a while some whales will swim by in the background.

Best enemy in the game. I love how the fishes eyes are Xed out.
Awesome shots, Kinsei. :) A few thoughts on them:

- The giant creature in Amiss Abyss is such a marvelous bit of creature design... that we only see for a few seconds! Seriously, yet more proof of the mind-boggling artistry and attention to detail in this game. So many unique assets!

- In addition to the whales in the background of Amiss Abyss, I recall seeing submarines, as well. Add to that the sunken pirate ships, the kelp forests, the schools of fish, the bioluminescent barnacles and seaweed... It's quite a place!

- Chum Chucker Charlie is indeed an instant classic. :) I seriously dig all of the Snowmads, especially Waldough, Tuff Tucks and Harold. :)

Why would Iwata do an Iwata Asks, Retro's DKC is just a side series next to the canon Paon games.
Oh no, this makes those new kremling disasters of barrel blast/jet race canon!

Because Iwata is under a lot of stress these days and some laughing would do him good. He should do Pikmin 3 too so he can get double the laughs.
Yes, why wont you ask about the best games on your console Iwata?

If you hang out in the water at the very start of Amiss Abyss for a while some whales will swim by in the background.

They have the same shape as the ones from Returns I think, continuity.

While we're on about this stages background elements, you don't have to wait around for them but there's a group of patterned sea horses that swim by at one point, only noticed it on my last run.

Neiteio

It's amusing to think of Snowmad directives.

"You there! You will walk around with a pointy hat!"

"...and you will walk around with a not-so-pointy hat!"

"...and as for you... you will throw fish at people."

2-K done, finally. Fucking hell, fuck those penguins.
3-K was easy by comparison. Much slower pace, I had time to think through my next move, etc.
Only took about 10 tries, if that.

On to collecting the KONG letters in world 4!

There are a couple sharks in Shoal Atoll. The most annoying one being by the yellow chest, forcing you to constantly swim in circles while the door is opening. I can see why he'd want to use Cranky for that level.

Yep. I used Cranky for 4-1, 4-3, 4-B, 4-6, 5-Boss and 6-Boss. Dixie for everything else.

Two more thoughts as I continue advancing through the game:

5-K is utterly delightful. Best K level yet in my opinion. It's not even that hard, but the game just makes you feel like such an accomplished badass for completing it!

6-2... holy shit, I was not prepared for this. The serene visuals combined with David Wise's nostalgic, melancholy score combine to create unrivaled atmosphere. In a soundtrack full of incredible music, this one is easily my favorite so far. Just crazy good.

It still blows my mind how it seems that Retro can just do no wrong. They're maybe the most talented game development studio out there right now, and if they're not, they're certainly among the best.

So I picked both this and the Prime trilogy up today (I've never played the prime games). So far I love it, stuck on the second level of world two though. By the way...

That background and it's music made me cry it's so good.

Linkhero1

So I pick both this and the Prime trilogy up today (I've never played the prime games). So far I love it, stuck on the second level of world two though. By the way...

That background and it's music made me cry it's so good.

Goodness. Wait until you boot up Metroid Prime and realize that it was a GC game.

I want MP4. :(

mcfrank

Just started this and am playing solo. Can someone explain what the combine move does? I press the bumper and my guys high five each other in a little animation and then nothing happens. What is this used for?

Allow me to take a moment and congratulate you for this fine decision.
Lol, thanks.
Are you ready to have a new favorite game developer?
Well, I played Returns and loved it, I've just really wanted to get into the Metroid series sense I've only played Other: M. It's gonna be hard to best the Zelda team and EAD in my opinion though.
Goodness. Wait until you boot up Metroid Prime and realize that it was a GC game.

I want MP4. :(
I know what they are, just never played them since I for the logest time hated first-person games.

Gartooth

Just finished completing World 2 and all its hazards. 2-K was a monster, I died so many times that I eventually decided to just gun it for the puzzle pieces even if it meant my death. At the very least I would have them all and wouldn't have to worry about making my way through it again.

Just started this and am playing solo. Can someone explain what the combine move does? I press the bumper and my guys high five each other in a little animation and then nothing happens. What is this used for?

Kills all enemies on the screen and they turn into powerups depending on what character tagteams with Donkey.

Mature

I haven't spent much time in this thread, but I just beat the game recently and wanted to say how much I loved the environments narrative of the Juicy Jungle and this guy. Was playing with a friend watching and we were trying to understand what was going on through each level, until we finally
got to the guy above and he's just lounging eating a Popsicle.
So clever and fun.

Linkhero1

Lol, thanks.

Well, I played Returns and loved it, I've just really wanted to get into the Metroid series sense I've only played Other: M. It's gonna be hard to best the Zelda team and EAD in my opinion though.

I know what they are, just never played them since I for the logest time hated first-person games.

Oh, I mean in terms of visuals. Not that you didn't know that it was a GC game or anything :p

So for the purposes of this soundtrack DKC3 seems to have been conveniently forgotten? :(

That's not true at all. Isn't the music for the Lost Mangroves mine cart level a remix of the Brothers Bear theme?

And I thought the loading screen theme was a loose remix of DKC 3's overworld map theme, but I guess it could be something else.

Andrew.

Banned
Bear with me dudes/dudette as I just was freed from a brief ban. For the past week Ive been experiencing this masterpiece and been reading the thread and I must say, it’s quite refreshing to see such a large in unison love circle regarding the title. It’s something that really doesn’t happen often on the forum; so when you witness it, you know that the game being played by all of us is something truly special. 3D World had a much bigger pool of vocal haters within the thread and this is very much the opposite which is totally awesome.

For starters this game has very dream-like quality to it. Whoever was worried about a lack of grim environments and that feeling of lonliness we all gravitated towards in the old SNES games, I feel Retro really delivered the same feelings waiting to be evoked in spades (Scorch n Torch and Alpine Incline for example). At the same time, levels are thrown in to give the user feels on the complete opposite end of the spectrum (Hello 3-1). While Ive only made it World 4 since the 21st (Im taking my time collecting each letter and puzzle piece before I move to the next level) I don’t think Ive ever played a 2D platformer that was so atmospherically engaging and pleasing to the eye. It really is on a whole other level compared to what else is out there and what has come before. As someone said in the “DKCTF is the better than the Mario U’s” thread: “It’s the best Nintendo 2D platformer since SMW.” Im going to have to agree with that.

The Wise One’s soundtrack alone propels the game to extreme heights in a way that it made me re-realize how much a soundtrack can change, let alone shape a game experience for the user. The difficulty level has been difficult at times, but it’s as fair as fair can be for me. When I die, I know it’s my own fault and Ive never once gotten flustered to the point of raging. Even then when I start making dumb moves and dying over and over (most recently in 4's minecart stage), I know to walk away for a moment and take a breather. That’s what happens with these games that are 100% reliant on precise control and timing for success: As soon as you start screwing up over and over again stupidly, you just take a step back and let your brain and reflexes reset and then go back to it later. Youll most of the time end up nailing it pretty easily. It is exactly what has happened to me not only for a few of the levels, but for the boss battles as well. I ended my play session on Saturday night at Skowl and he wiped the floor with me a good half dozen times before I shut the system off. I awoke the following morning and beat him on my second try.

I introduced the DK to my friend last night and after witnessing his ears melt off due to the ground section music of Alpine Incline and Aquatic Ambience within Deep Keep, he wanted to give it a shot. He ventured over to Scorch N Torch and once again was blown away by the soundtrack. He caught onto the controls quickly (Pro C with analog is the way Im playing and I love it), had numerous deaths but with a constant smile on his face and enjoying every minute of it. In the end his words were: “This is Aggravatingly Awesome.”

Ill be posting a bunch more, but Im at work. Just wanted to post some immediate semi stream of consciousness thoughts.

Ah so nice to be back

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone know the locations of all puzzle pieces in 3-A (This one is supposedly right by a barrel cannon) and 4-A? Squawks ain't helpin too much. I'm missing one in each and it's clearly pretty well hidden. I've got (or at least thought I had) all of the tricks down with the shady rotating banana bunches, pulley rings and breakable walls.

I love throwing Tuff Tucks!

Neiteio

Does anyone know the locations of all puzzle pieces in 3-A (This one is supposedly right by a barrel cannon) and 4-A? Squawks ain't helpin too much.
In 3-A, I bet you're missing the one where
there is a Ferris wheel-like set of platforms.
What you have to do is
leap into the blast barrel, then hold the "cling" button as soon as you shoot out of the barrel -- you'll grab a vine hidden behind the canopy as you fly through the air.
I had to look this one up online, it had me stumped like none other.

Andrew.

Banned
In 3-A, I bet you're missing the one where
there is a Ferris wheel-like set of platforms.
What you have to do is
leap into the blast barrel, then hold the "cling" button as soon as you shoot out of the barrel -- you'll grab a vine hidden behind the canopy as you fly through the air.
I had to look this one up online, it had me stumped like none other.

Whaaaaaat. Thanks man! Headin there now!

Linkyn

Referring to MP as an FPS really does not do it justice. FPAction Adventure comes closer I think.

Edit: Nevermind that, I misread your post.

To validate my post, I finally managed to beat a few more time attacks on gold (after much jumping past ledges or running into obstacles), but so far, I'm still having my ass handed to me for the most part.

Andrew.

Banned
I dont think Ive ever wanted to own a video game soundtrack so much in my life.

I hope for the love of god it gets released. I'll buy it at a high price.

Top Bottom