• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Linkhero1

World 3 has been a blast so far. The music gradually gets better and the difficulty gradually increases. I'm loving it so far. I think it's my favorite world yet. One thing I miss from the previous games was the doom and gloom stages. I'm hoping we get a few in this game.

These bosses need to go. They're just an exercise in frustration.

I love these bosses. They're challenging and probably the best I've fought against in a 2D Platformer.

Which one are you having trouble with?

I love the bosses.

I love these bosses. They're challenging and probably the best I've fought against in a 2D Platformer.

I can't agree with this. The bosses are some of the most creative ones in any 2D platformer.

If you have trouble, use Cranky Kong.

Pretty much all of them, sans Triple Trouble. I think my main problem is with the tedium of defeating them, which ticked me off with Returns last boss. Dying makes you go through all the basic attacks, boss gets ticked, stronger attacks, boss gets angrier, still stronger attacks. I've switched between Dixie and Cranky and they're still frustrating.

Continuing my praises of all things Dixie she's really good for underwater stages in hard mode, propeller hair propulsion is a joy when you get a handle on it activating and deactivating it to maneuver around hazards with such grace, Irate Eight wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Plus any Kong that isn't Donkey gets that slightly smaller hitbox.
I know Xtortionist swore by Cranky for hard mode water stages but I can't see why unless there's more to the cane attack than meets the eye, maybe he can swat those spiny buggers in Current Capers.

These bosses need to go. They're just an exercise in frustration.

As someone who would happily shit on the bosses of the previous game, nope, at least I see their attacks as being much more telegraphed among other things that make them more enjoyable.

If anyone is struggling with the bosses here's a nice reminder that Kong Pow is still a thing you can do, enemies that join in boss battles are prime fodder for it and Dixie Kong gives you the golden heart bonus.

Kinsei

Banned
Continuing my praises of all things Dixie she's really good for underwater stages in hard mode, propeller hair propulsion is a joy when you get a handle on it activating and deactivating it to maneuver around hazards with such grace, Irate Eight wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Plus any Kong that isn't Donkey gets that slightly smaller hitbox.
I know Xtortionist swore by Cranky for hard mode water stages but I can't see why unless there's more to the cane attack than meets the eye, maybe he can swat those spiny buggers in Current Capers.

I think the reason he swore by Cranky is because he can kill the urchins and sharks.

I think the reason he swore by Cranky is because he can kill the urchins and sharks.

Ah killing the urchins would make sense, my current capers run was ended foolishly barrelling into one when going for a switch.
Fortunately Sharks don't turn up in the fully underwater stages.

I also now have all the capsules, they saved the most loved Kong family member till last, the Rocket Barrel!

Kinsei

Banned
Ah killing the urchins would make sense, my current capers run was ended foolishly barrelling into one when going for a switch.
Fortunately Sharks don't turn up in the fully underwater stages.

I also now have all the capsules, they saved the most loved Kong family member till last, the Rocket Barrel!

There are a couple sharks in Shoal Atoll. The most annoying one being by the yellow chest, forcing you to constantly swim in circles while the door is opening. I can see why he'd want to use Cranky for that level.

My final figurine was Professor Chop. I thought for sure the last Kong figurine was going to be Sqwaks but I was wrong. Sqwaks is way more deserving of a figurine than the pig.

There are a couple sharks in Shoal Atoll. The most annoying one being by the yellow chest, forcing you to constantly swim in circles while the door is opening. I can see why he'd want to use Cranky for that level.

My final figurine was Professor Chop. I thought for sure the last Kong figurine was going to be Sqwaks but I was wrong. Sqwaks is way more deserving of a figurine than the pig.
We've gone from Squawk's Shaft to Squawks getting shafted, at least I still use him to round up the one or two remaining puzzle pieces in a stage.

Forgot all about Shoal Atoll and its middling design, yeah that's a good candidate for Cranky even if every attempt I've made on a Sharks life had me eating a hit to finish them.

Kinsei

Banned
I just had a crazy thought about the pictures you get when you reach 200% Xtortion posted. What if they aren't concept art from this game but rather DKC6? We know Monster Games was involved with Tropical Freeze so they might have put in some concept art of the DKC game they are making

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The boss fights are challenging, but you should be able to learn their attack moves after a couple of tries, and react accordingly. Use dixie if you're having too much trouble, and farm the smaller enemies for golden hearts

Every boss I have faced so far has been able to be beaten faster once you learn their patterns.

After a few tries, World 2's boss took like two minutes to get to his final form.

One of my favorite atmospheric levels from the original Donkey Kong Country is the Northern Hemispheres level. The level starts out with cloudy skies, and then light snow, and before you know it, you're in a blizzard.

Level 3-4 where you eventually end up in the tornado
reminded me of that. So much fun. Actually all of the third Island has been fantastic so far.

The bosses in this game are fantastic. Shoal Atoll and Current Capers need to go for being the worst levels in the game. Current Capers is particularly excruciating in hard mode.

Yeah, Shoal Atoll was pretty terrible. I actually would have liked a level like the Returns level where you had to hide behind rocks to avoid the massive waves.

Kinsei

Banned
Man, some of these secret exits are really well hidden. I'm still scouring level two of the second island.

.... There is no secret exit there. Notice how the level that a secret exit would lead to is on a stone square platform? That means it is a K level that opens up after you get all of the Kong letters on that island.

Gsnap

One of my favorite atmospheric levels from the original Donkey Kong Country is the Northern Hemispheres level. The level starts out with cloudy skies, and then light snow, and before you know it, you're in a blizzard.

Level 3-4 where you eventually end up in the tornado
reminded me of that. So much fun. Actually all of the third Island has been fantastic so far.

I think island 3 might be my favorite as far as the variety of ideas within one seemingly limited aesthetic. That said I haven't gotten to world 5 or 6 yet.

Man, some of these secret exits are really well hidden. I'm still scouring level two of the second island.

There's no secret exit on 2-2. The level you see has a square around the dot, which means it unlocks 2-K with the KONG letters. I made the same mistake.

edit: beaten... twice

--

I think island 3 might be my favorite as far as the variety of ideas within one seemingly limited aesthetic. That said I haven't gotten to world 5 or 6 yet.

Yeah, I'm just up to 3-4, but Island 3 has been amazing. The theme comes across well, and each of the four stages have been very creative so far. Lion King, rolling spiky fruit, brush fire, and tornado.

Sendou

You guys playing with the gamepad or pro controller?

Pro Controller all the way baby.

Did anyone else have problems with activating Kong POW by accident with Pro Controller? Those L/R buttons are so easy to hit if you're not careful. Luckily the game is very good. If it wasn't I might have gotten frustrated that one time accidental Kong POW ate my jump and lead to my death.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

You know, I'm wondering if when developing Donkey Kong Returns, Retro already had it planned that the second game would involve snow and ice as the main theme.

Because I find it interesting that despite Returns pretty much using all the biomes of the original Donkey Kong Country, they specifically skipped over the snow levels.

kizmah

I just realized that this guy...
KGdJ0J8.jpg

...seconds later is this guy.
LbRuHD5.jpg

Kriken

Well I just went back and got all the puzzle pieces in World 1, funny enough 1-K wasn't nearly as bad today as when I tried it at first. I just kept mistiming the jump for those series of vines before the end

I've posted this before, but it's pretty simple once you get the timing right. Tip:
If you're playing with DK only, all you need to do is hold the jump button once DK starts descending in his jump arc.

I kinda figured that out. I've been holding down A/B just before hitting an enemy. I noticed using Dixie really screws it.
Them penguins though, fuck those penguins. I can taste the finish line and the only stopping me from reaching it is those fucking penguins.

Kriken

Where's the last puzzle piece in 2-4
I found the secret exit and thought it was up the wall, but that led to the regular exit, did I miss it or what?

Returning briefly to Returns has helped solidify my feeling that Tropical Freeze is the better of the two games, not to take anything away from Returns.
I'm now wondering if there's been two very slight gameplay related changes that I'm not so sure about and might just be making up. The first being that in Tropical Freeze Kong just sort of flops off of vines and grassy walls in a way that's got me killed more times than I'd like to admit, by comparison in Returns he gets a bit more hang time performing either action which I think worked a lot better.
The second being if Tropical Freeze improved upon the high bounce timing window for when you have Diddy Kong, I have the timing pretty much perfect in TF but in Returns I still might flub one or two.

mindsale

I'm enjoying the game, but it's so absolutely unfun to be stuck on the world two boss and be unable to advance at all, just try to beat it for the sixtieth time. Yes, I'm a noob and this is the easysauce early worlds and you've got mad skillz, spare me.

Yeah, Shoal Atoll was pretty terrible. I actually would have liked a level like the Returns level where you had to hide behind rocks to avoid the massive waves.

I liked it. Was definitely unique and cool to get a
non linear exploration based level
There were already a couple of things they recycled from Returns,
the pendulum like movements from Beehive Brawl level where you cling to the grass was taken right from Clingy Swingy for example
and I'm glad the kept reusing stuff to a minimum.

The second being if Tropical Freeze improved upon the high bounce timing window for when you have Diddy Kong, I have the timing pretty much perfect in TF but in Returns I still might flub one or two.

The window is larger in general. In TF you have the ability to hit the jump button a fraction of a second after you make contact with an enemy to get the high jump, but not in DCKR.

I'm enjoying the game, but it's so absolutely unfun to be stuck on the world two boss and be unable to advance at all, just try to beat it for the sixtieth time. Yes, I'm a noob and this is the easysauce early worlds and you've got mad skillz, spare me.

Have you tried stocking up on the various items in Funky's shop? Also try and watch youtube playthroughs to see some good techniques.

Gsnap

Use the items. Or Dixie's Kong pow (I think hers is the one that gives you gold hearts). You have a lot of options.

I finished world 2 last night. The bosses have been a very pleasant surprise so far I must say. I had to work for that win.

Also, fuck Bopopolis. Goddamn. I let out a victory laugh when I finally made it to the end.

Top Bottom