• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Madouu

I'm super bad at platformers but after a bit of practice I've been finally able to do a sub 1:40 run on 1-1, feels good, I've been using ElTopo's time as a motivator for the last thirty minutes, thanks bud haha. Next objective is top 100!

Also slowly making my way through the different worlds both in single player and in coop with the girlfriend, and it's pretty damn great. I will post some more detailed thoughts about the game when I am close to finishing it.

On a side note, I think the major achievement of the Retro DK games is that I always leave with a smile even after dying twenty times in a row to the same level. Compare that with a particularly bad game of dota 2 for example that will leave me fuming for a long quarter of an hour even after the game is finished.

2-1 literally made me yell at the game in frustration and disappointment in myself. Rage inducing. Boss of W1 did as well. I'm glad Best Buy was out of Bravely Default, for the moment at least.

W1 Boss is keeping me from making much progress through the game.
Because I keep going back to it to listen to the music track

Kud Dukan

I've been spending a few days reading this thread, and I have a feeling I'm going to be buying a Wii-U tomorrow solely to play this game. It just looks and sounds like an absolute blast to play. And that soundtrack...

Neiteio

I've been unable to play the game the past couple days. You guys need to post more 720p screenshots to soothe my urge to play!

Andrew.

Banned
This soundtrack is seriously going into my personal best of all time. Right next to Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, Megaman 2 & 3, The Last of Us, Killer7, etc.)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Playing this solo is fun, but multiplayer, while complete and utter chaos, is even more fun. I was going through the first two worlds earlier with my brother and we were laughing our asses off at some of our deaths.

This game is pure bliss.

I am indeed. It was a very very fun stream!

Fraser is usually a bitch about everything but he knows good games and they seemed to REALLY like playing this one.

That was one of the most entertaining Let's Plays I have seen of theirs and I have seen a bunch.

I hope they revisit the game because that was pure gold.

Kriken

So I just beat the boss of World 2, I got tired of accidentally rolling/falling off to my death while trying to avoid his attacks. So what do I do? I grab 3 green balloons and enter the fight, didn't need them in the end

competition is harsh, TF is monstrous, but its too early to tell imo

I think reactions like this are exciting but way premature.

It's that "new fresh game" exaggeration.

That's not to say it's a baseless and blind reaction but it's too early as you said.

However, the game has been really well received here for the most part and that's a turn around from when it was announced and for a while following that.

It's top tier stuff though.

Remember when it was said that ANYONE could have made this game???

Kelbaugh: ~laughs~

So I just beat the boss of World 2, I got tired of accidentally rolling/falling off to my death while trying to avoid his attacks. So what do I do? I grab 3 green balloons and enter the fight, didn't need them in the end

Just knowing you had the insurance probably made you more confident.

I think reactions like this are exciting but way premature.

It's that "new fresh game" exaggeration.

That's not to say it's a baseless and blind reaction but it's too early as you said.

However, the game has been really well received here for the most part and that's a turn around from when it was announced and for a while following that.

It's top tier stuff though.

Remember when it was said that ANYONE could have made this game???

Kelbaugh: ~laughs~

Agreed. I don't even know how I rank it next to DKCR. I know that it's been an absolute blast and thats good enough for me. We'll see how it stands the test of time.

Agreed. I don't even know how I rank it next to DKCR. I know that it's been an absolute blast and thats good enough for me. We'll see how it stands the test of time.

I recenty replayed Returns and was a bit surprised at how much I loved it all over again despite playing the hell out of it when it came out.

With that said, I haven't thought too hard about it but I'd say the two games are about on par with each other, this one just seems more fun because of the settings and characters and of course the music.

I can't agree with those that say it's way better than Returns but I can understand if some think it is better.

It feels like a proper follow up and I would like to see another one whether it's next or down the road.

The elements that Retro borrow from Rare's work are so well done that I think they could make more animal buddies play exceptionally and design some great levels around them.

Linkyn

Ok I basically just figured out that time attacks are way easier on the guided levels (which I guess I should have realised to begin with). Managed to get gold with heart on Sawmill Thrill, Rodent Ruckus, Wing Ding, Twilight Terror, High Tide Ride and Reckless Ride in a matter of about an hour. With the regular levels, I just can't seem to get the timing with chain jumping quite right.

Andrew.

Banned
You gotta compare it to the DKCR soundtrack too.

That game had no soundtrack as far as I'm concerned.

I was completely unimpressed with it for what I had played. Only that beach level with the waves crashing that you had to dodge between rocks (first world right?) had Wise-ish music that I can remember. Everything else felt flat as hell to me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I think it's the "not David Wise" bias that doomed it from the start.

I mean, it's nothing spectacular but it's definitely not as poor as many would lead you to believe(I don't think they believe it themselves).

yep it's great but Wise is truly on another planet, and you know nostalgia really does nothing for me. I'm not even halfway through the game and find myself humming Busted Bayou like crazy, it's already ingrained in my memory under the label "classic". I can't honestly say the same about any track from DKCR, while they're all perfectly serviceable they lack that spark of genius that make them instantly memorable

Haines

Banned
Only made it halfway through world 5 but wow I had no idea retro was still this good of a dev. Just amazing everything.

What is wrong with people who buy a wiiu and not games like this. I'm sorry but this game is an instant mega classic

For the past week Ive been experiencing this masterpiece and been reading the thread and I must say, it’s quite refreshing to see such a large in unison love circle regarding the title.

You're in an OT thread of a recent released game. This is standard protocol unless the game is complete dog shit. Go read the OT threads on how magical and amazing Luigis Mansion & KI: Uprising was or even the reactions in the Ryse and Knack threads. It's mostly an echo chamber of people who have already made up their minds long before the game came out.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You're in an OT thread of a recent released game. This is standard protocol unless the game is complete dog shit. Go read the OT threads on how magical and amazing Luigis Mansion & KI: Uprising was or even the reactions in the Ryse and Knack threads. It's mostly an echo chamber of people who have already made up their minds long before the game came out.

LM and KIU *are* magical and amazing

Andrew.

Banned

You're lucky I love Pearl Jam as much as I do

And my mind was made up the night before release after hearing Seashore War

Deku Tree

Go read the Halo 4 OT and try to say that again... I didn't make up my mind before the game came out...

Saying that people have made up their minds is way too strong and condescending. More like if you're anticipating a title, enough so too buy it day 1 and pay full price than you're more likely going too come away with a positive view more so than a negative one.

Haines

Banned
Haha I figured it was just going to be another dkc at best and didn't know if I wanted more.

Hell the first couple levels I enjoyed but it was just more dk

Than you find yourself lost in the bliss of it and proclaiming your love for dk and retro

Can someone who's played BOTH this game and Mario 3D World draw comparisons between the local co-op experiences of both.

My GF loves playing 3D world with me, and she's steadily getting better with the controls. I'm not sure if the hardcore pace of Donkey Kong (the swinging, the pitfalls, the frantic jumping and soaring) would agree with her novice skillset.

Someone please put my concerns to rest.

Andrew.

Banned
Saying that people have made up their minds is way too strong and condescending. More like if you're anticipating a title, enough so too buy it day 1 and pay full price than you're more likely going too come away with a positive view more so than a negative one.

I buy it because I can afford it and I wanted to support Ninty and Retro. I pretty much hated Returns and have only really been a true fan of the original DKC.

I know my games. I know my 2D platformers. Been playing them since before Wood overdosed. I know my shit. My view is positive and true and not because of my immediate purchase. The game is the best true piece of platforming perfection to come about in the past 20 years in my opinion.

Astral Dog

The only song that i find somewhat dissapointing on this great soundtrack is the final boss, unfortunately, i think its somewhat dull, what do you guys think of that part?

I buy it because I can afford it and I wanted to support Ninty and Retro. I pretty much hated Returns and have only really been a true fan of the original DKC.

I know my games. I know my 2D platformers. Been playing them since before Wood overdosed. I know my shit. My view is positive and true and not because of my immediate purchase. The game is the best true piece of platforming perfection to come about in the past 20 years in my opinion.

he got you to explain yourself

you lost

forever

I wanted to say to all those that are wailing on about "poor level design"

The fact that Retro has created such levels that are instantly able to be played through sluggishly and carefully to full on burst super speed mode in a perfecto rhythmic fashion is a fucking testament to the level design.

Poor level design? Bland?

Go watch some YT vids and get knocked on your Kong ass.

I only just discovered that thread like two hours ago and didnt even bother.

Game is too good.

4lo5aVs.gif

Boy, it's weird to come to a different thread completely and still be slammed.

Can someone who's played BOTH this game and Mario 3D World draw comparisons between the local co-op experiences of both.

My GF loves playing 3D world with me, and she's steadily getting better with the controls. I'm not sure if the hardcore pace of Donkey Kong (the swinging, the pitfalls, the frantic jumping and soaring) would agree with her novice skillset.

Even people who absolutely adore this game agree that its multiplayer isn't its strong suit. You both would have a much better time with 3D World. Complete freedom in your character selection, more control over the pace you progress through the levels, and the added presence of another player doesn't complicate the gameplay by any means. DKCTF has a lot of clutter going on, and a second dynamic character really only adds to the chaos there (which can be fun in its own regard, but also very, very frustrating).

Haines

Banned

I think 3d world is the much better coop game for casual play. Dk coop is very challenging.

But she can jump on your back and let you do the work too lol

Source I only play these dk games coop with girl

I don't believe your opinion or others in this thread is any less valid or wrong just giving an impression I notice in most OT threads of recent releases.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

My girlfriend beat Super Mario World (with the some co-op help on certain levels alongside using the golden raccoon suit on others), and she made it through the first world of Tropical Freeze by herself before starting to have some trouble. Playing cooperatively, we have made it halfway through world 3, but she struggles to keep up at times. I was really surprised at how well she picked up on the grabbing and whatnot though, tropical freeze is a bit more button extensive then SM3DW in that regard and she grasped it like a champ.

All in all I would say that Tropical Freeze ramps up in difficultly MUCH quicker then SM3DW, and can be pretty darn tough for novices. But if your girlfriend is willing to stuck it through the hard times, she will probably end up loving Tropical Freeze just as much as Super Mario 3D World (like my GF has). Also she can always hop on your back during the tough parts and hop back off when it settles down, so that is pretty cool.

Top Bottom