• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

daydream

Banned
I dont think Ive ever wanted to own a video game soundtrack so much in my life.

I hope for the love of god it gets released. I'll buy it at a high price.

I've been listening to it for the past hour or so. Time flew by so fast, I didn't notice. Friggin' unreal how good it is.

Andrew.

Banned

Oh yeah I know about those. Was listening to tracks off and on at work today.

Nothing beats Seashore War for me. I even posted it on dumbass Facebook.

As soon as I hit Windmill Hills and heard that music that couldve straight up been out of some Final Fantasy town back in circa 97-2000 I was like "This can't be right. This music is TOO epic."

It's like Ive never played a platformer with music that's so good it's like every level is the last level music of every old game you grew up with. That intense. That memorable. That scarring.

Neiteio

Hey Andrew, the real name of Chilly Coast is actually Seashore War. I think the guy who originally uploaded them was making up names for the tracks he didn't know.

Clockwork5

And again an OT has lightened my wallet. The praise here has gotten too me. Finished the first few levels today and I have to say, I don't regret this impulse buy. The game definitely has that "adventure" feel and this looks to rival Rayman Legends as my top 2d platformer of the past couple years.

Once I make this game my bitch I will be able to make that call. But until then I can at least tell I'm gonna have a good time.

Andrew.

Banned
I wanna feel DK's fur so hard. It just looks so soft to the touch.

And Dixie's face reminds me of Pam Beasley for whatever weird reason.

And is there any way to use the pop guns for each side character with the Pro C? I swear Ive tried everything.

jts

...hate me...
[Sadness intensifies]

I noticed that earlier when I was flubbing around the secret exit wondering why Diddy couldn't get through it. Also if you spin attack into him, his body jiggles.
I must say I still don't know how to get through it... although I don't feel like cheating and not figuring out myself.

Anyone wants to give a clue or spoiler tag the answer?
shame on me :(

Neiteio

And Dixie's face reminds me of Pam Beasley for whatever weird reason.

And is there any way to use the pop guns for each side character with the Pro C? I swear Ive tried everything.
I don't think you can use the side characters' projectile attacks in single-player mode. You might be able to do this in Hard Mode, which allows you to play as the different Kongs in single-player mode.

I must say I still don't know how to get through it... although I don't feel like cheating and not figuring out myself.

Anyone wants to give a clue or spoiler tag the answer?
shame on me :(
Get through what? The secret exit? If you're talking about the secret exit at the very end of
Twilight Terror
, just hold A to swim through the current. However, note there is another secret exit, halfway through that level.
For this one, fly through the second floor of the structure halfway through, then use Dixie or Cranky to reach the upper platform
. You'll know it when you see it. :)

If you mean getting through the level in general, try stocking up on Crash Guards at Funky's shop, which give you extra hits when flying the Rocket Barrel. You can equip multiple Crash Guards at once.

Neiteio

Just wait until you meet Harold

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qtzmb.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
I fucking rocked through Twilight Terror compared to Rodent Ruckus (dem
delicious looking cheese wheels
). Twilight is an incredibly good place to stock up on coins as well as Alpine Incline.

One of the things no one has yet mentioned is the convenience of being able to secure your buddy Kong in the level and then being immediately able to exit out while still keeping your buddy on top of whatever coins and bananas you collected in the moment. This is something that is sorely lacking in the Mario U games, as well as 3D World though at least in 3D the levels were quite short so a 38 second burst through 1-1 to grab two catsuits wasnt THAT big of a deal. Still a semi pain in the ass though. DK just makes it right and keeps it old school with the grand ol' start/select goodness of SMW.

Neiteio

). Twilight is an incredibly good place to stock up on coins as well as Alpine Incline.

One of the things no one has yet mentioned is the convenience of being able to secure your buddy Kong in the level and be able to exit out while still keeping your buddy on top of whatever coins and bananas you collected in the moment. This is something that is sorely lacking in the Mario U games, as well as 3D World though at least 3D the levels were quite short so a 38 second burst through 1-1 to grab two catsuits wasnt THAT big of a deal. Still a semi pain in the ass though. DK just makes it right and keeps it old school with the grand ol' start/select goodness of SMW.
Excellent point. It always was a bit of a pain to farm 1-1 in 3D Land/3D World for Tanooki Leaves/Super Bells. (Although I didn't mind too much in 3D Land -- that game has one of my favorite first levels ever.)

Oidisco

I seriously love this game, I just wish it didn't cause me to be in so much pain with my wrists. Something about the control scheme seriously hurts me, probably got to do with always tapping ZR to roll.
I have to take strong painkillers just to have a long session of playtime!

This isn't a critique of the game by the way, just saying that it really hurts my wrists. Almost as bad as playing PC games with a mouse.

One of the things no one has yet mentioned is the convenience of being able to secure your buddy Kong in the level and then being immediately able to exit out while still keeping your buddy on top of whatever coins and bananas you collected in the moment. This is something that is sorely lacking in the Mario U games, as well as 3D World though at least in 3D the levels were quite short so a 38 second burst through 1-1 to grab two catsuits wasnt THAT big of a deal. Still a semi pain in the ass though. DK just makes it right and keeps it old school with the grand ol' start/select goodness of SMW.
For some reason I had an easier time with the rodent one than with the twilight one. Although I didn't do the rodent one until after I did most of world 6. Although you're correct I gained a lot of coins and I think I went from having 60 something lives to 80 something lives after completing twilight terror.

Neiteio

I seriously love this game, I just wish it didn't cause me to be in so much pain with my wrists. Something about the control scheme seriously hurts me, probably got to do with always tapping ZR to roll.

This isn't a critique of the game by the way, just saying that it really hurts my wrists. Almost as bad as playing PC games with a mouse.
You can roll with one of the face buttons. That's what I do. I only use the shoulder buttons to cling onto vines, moss and ziplines.

Andrew.

Banned

Thats crazy. You using the pad? The Pro makes it so comfy. Everything rolls right since roll is Y and my thumb basically stays on that button the entire time while shifting to B. The fact that A makes your buddy do their move is the perfection. Good thing I have wide thumbs.

Oidisco

You can roll with one of the face buttons. That's what I do. I only use the shoulder buttons to cling onto vines, moss and ziplines.
I know, I tried it when I 1st started playing but I just couldn't get used to it. Felt really unnatural to me.

It's not a huge deal, just today it's worse than usual.

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone else hear dark Phil Collins/Genesis-esque beats or tones in the music on occasion? Similar to stuff like "Land of Confusion" or "In The Air Tonight."

Fuckin Rockin' Relics nails it. As well as the various subtle remixes of Bramble Scramble.

Just getting to the end of world 4... My mind is blown. This game keeps getting better and better. What incredible attention to detail, level design, and atmosphere. The challenge is just right, and I hold myself accountable every time I die. I had heard some slightly negative feedback about world 4's underwater theme, and I'm relieved to say they aced it. The underwater controls started to click for me and soon I was master of the sea. Retro could make an entire game set underwater with these mechanics and it'd be solid. Don't get me started on the visuals and soundtrack...

Having said all this, some of those low review scores seem baffling in hindsight... Even if the game fell off a cliff from world 5 on I'd have a hard time justifying some of them. It's clear to me that I'm playing a future classic and the best platformer made in the last couple of generations. Did they play a different game? It has an 82 on metacritic... Not bad, but... huh?

bart64

Banned
Nice game, and nice to to see a game be ok with being a game. No handholding, no mercy, just one obstacle after another, in rhythm, with flow and variety and art and music all working together. Riding the edge of bliss and hopeless frustration. This is serious 90s kind of stuff.

Oidisco

Thats crazy. You using the pad? The Pro makes it so comfy. Everything rolls right since roll is Y and my thumb basically stays on that button the entire time while shifting to B. The fact that A makes your buddy do their move is the perfection. Good thing I have wide thumbs.
Yea I'm using the pad. Don't have a pro controller since I can't really afford it right now. Normally the gamepad is great though, even better than the 360 or GC controllers since my hands aren't as cramped together and my fingers can lay flat against the back of the controller.
I seriously need to figure what's up with my wrists.

Also World 5 is damn hard!

codhand

on 2nd boss, loving it so far, it definitely has compelled me more than Mario WiiU although i still feel the latter is a better game overall

In 3-A, I bet you're missing the one where
there is a Ferris wheel-like set of platforms.
What you have to do is
leap into the blast barrel, then hold the "cling" button as soon as you shoot out of the barrel -- you'll grab a vine hidden behind the canopy as you fly through the air.
I had to look this one up online, it had me stumped like none other.

I looked for that one for FOUR FUCKING hours before finally giving up and using Squwaks. Even so it still took me an additional half hour to figure it out. It was my only time using him in Retro's games and is a personal mark of shame for me :(. Retro has humbled me. I did like the level though... It kind of reminded me of Weighty Way from DKCR, but not quite as good.

Andrew.

Banned
I looked for that one for FOUR FUCKING hours before finally giving up and using Squwaks. Even so it still took me an additional half hour to figure it out. It was my only time using him in Retro's games and is a personal mark of shame for me :(. Retro has humbled me. I did like the level though... It kind of reminded me of Weighty Way from DKCR, but not quite as good.

If I can't find all the pieces in two runs, I gotta call on the bird. Rickety Rafters though man, even with him sqwawkin I couldnt see....until Neiteio showed the way.

Then I felt like a complete idiot.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man I love the fact there's no time limit. Looking at the spectacular environments is pure joy, and that's why Nintendo has to make a Galaxy 3 sooner or later, I need that feeling in a Mario game again

Andrew.

Banned
I wanted to say to all those that are wailing on about "poor level design"

The fact that Retro has created such levels that are instantly able to be played through sluggishly and carefully to full on burst super speed mode in a perfecto rhythmic fashion is a fucking testament to the level design.

Poor level design? Bland?

Go watch some YT vids and get knocked on your Kong ass.

Just getting to the end of world 4... My mind is blown. This game keeps getting better and better. What incredible attention to detail, level design, and atmosphere. The challenge is just right, and I hold myself accountable every time I die. I had heard some slightly negative feedback about world 4's underwater theme, and I'm relieved to say they aced it. The underwater controls started to click for me and soon I was master of the sea. Retro could make an entire game set underwater with these mechanics and it'd be solid. Don't get me started on the visuals and soundtrack...

Having said all this, some of those low review scores seem baffling in hindsight... Even if the game fell off a cliff from world 5 on I'd have a hard time justifying some of them. It's clear to me that I'm playing a future classic and the best platformer made in the last couple of generations. Did they play a different game? It has an 82 on metacritic... Not bad, but... huh?

You don't have to worry. The final two islands are absolutely incredible.

jnWake

A good stage for farming coins (and lives!) is 2-K, if you're good at bouncing of course. Since you get a coin after 3 straight bounces and a life after a few more bounces, you can really get a bit there!

Andrew.

Banned
Fuck the K levels. Wont even touch them. I want to finish this game without ever being mega pissed off.

I have them all unlocked too so far and I barely scratched 1-K last week. Since then, nope.gif.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
After playing all of the levels, the only real complaints I have are:

-The swimming controls felt awkward to me. The way DK has to rotate around led to me "boosting" directly into a hazard by accident.

-The bonus rooms still present no challenge and are repetitive. Every entrance to one should have just been replaced with an invisible wall that reveals a puzzle piece, imo.

-Boss fights drag on too long.

Fantastic game otherwise. Retro are the kings of 2D platformers as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame that they'll probably be taking a break from DK after this.

Kinsei

Banned
Taking a short break to rest up my wrists, but I'm gonna link this co-op let's play of the 1st 2 Worlds of the game. They absolutely loved it. Even if you don't feel like watching it, I highly HIGHLY recommend ye still watch the start of the video. Becky often makes cosplay-esque costumes for big releases and the costumes she made for Tropical Freeze are AMAZING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuktZegAekk&index=2&list=PLGxCL8JAojANZRnMjjzWoD7sB57T75F3C

Not a fan of VGA but I'm glad to hear they like it. I saw the costumes in a thumbnail in my recommended videos section and it looks like she really outdid herself.

Darryl

Banned
2-1 literally made me yell at the game in frustration and disappointment in myself. Rage inducing. Boss of W1 did as well. I'm glad Best Buy was out of Bravely Default, for the moment at least.

Top Bottom