• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Yonafunu

This has probably been discussed anyway in here but for Gamepad users which control scheme are you going with?

After one day of playing, one completed island and some switching back and forth I can't work out if I prefer the control stick or d-pad set-up.

I'm going with analogue stick + Y/X grab. That feels the most natural to me.

gotoadgo

I need this game so much, all of your positive impressions is making it worse! :D
Broke at the moment, but at the end of next month it will be mine!

Damn that Wise is a genius, this is my favorite track.
I just finished this level and came to post about it, amazing guitar in this one. I died once and said to myself "I'm not even mad, I get to listen to the music again".

Last boss down.

...but where's hard mode? Can't find it.
Did it mention you'd unlocked it? I think you need to 100% everything before it unlocks.

Nullgradkelvin

Neo Member
David Wise should also make the OST to Mario Kart 8....remember Diddy Kong Racing? yeah

Yes, I love that idea.

It would be a dream, if all the former Rare employees of the glory old days join once again to build a new development studio in England led by the Stamper brothers.
So Nintendo, it's time to take some money from your warchest and make my pipe dream come true! ;D

I just finished this level and came to post about it, amazing guitar in this one. I died once and said to myself "I'm not even mad, I get to listen to the music again".

Did it mention you'd unlocked it? I think you need to 100% everything before it unlocks.

Uh alright, thanks!

Getting all KONG letters in 4-3 is a pain in the ass

Kouriozan

Wasted 30 lives in 2-K yesterday but I did it!
I had trouble bouncing off ennemies after the canons, but I figured you had to press the button long before even touching them
#Imtoofastforthisgame

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wasted 30 lives in 2-K yesterday but I did it!
I had trouble bouncing off ennemies after the canons, but I figured you had to press the button long before even touching them
#Imtoofastforthisgame

Yes, the timing on these are a bit weird. You can press the button a looong time before you hit, (but not too long though, you can't just hold it). If you press just before you hit, you'll just lamely drop off into the abyss.

It's kind of similiar with vines (you can hold y all day long before you grip them)

Yeah. The Wii U pad has a volume slider.

nGyeE1W.jpg

Feindflug

this game makes me cry how much it's good

it's insane. I cant stop replaying every level and 100% it. I'm already at 10 hours and still in world 2

it's...too good

I can understand you man, I've played over 15hrs and I just got into World 4 (the first two levels were amazing btw)...I try to find everything on my own so it takes long sometimes (I'm looking at you evil puzzle piece of 3-A) I even go as far as replay levels even though I 100% them just to admire the visuals, hear the music and of course have fun. I'm taking my sweet time with this game, I just don't want it to end.

And yeah the game is too good. <3

Zing

Banned
Nintendo needs to keep the 60fps games a priority. From the moment the intro begins, everything is like butter. Mario 3D World was also great at 60fps. It makes 3D Land look choppy.

Glass Joe

I did 2-K last night, man it took some doing. But in reality there's only a couple of tough parts -- mainly where you have to launch off those flying penguins onto that seal. Once you know what you're doing through repetition, it is more of a battle of concentration rather than pure difficulty. As long as you're holding down jump right before you land on an enemy, you're mostly fine. As soon as I beat it, I decided I should do the time trial while it was fresh in my mind and I completed it second try. Probably not a gold medal, but I'm only a mere human.

Nintendo needs to keep the 60fps games a priority. From the moment the intro begins, everything is like butter. Mario 3D World was also great at 60fps. It makes 3D Land look choppy.

That reminds me, has anyone gotten any choppiness during gameplay on the pad? I encountered a couple of weird moments last night when replaying the same stage over and over (2-K, and also time trialing the owl boss). It acted slightly weird after so long, like I was getting an interfering signal. Similar stutter as the load screens but less intense I never really had that problem with any other game including this one so far, and I was right by the console. It has been acting normal since then and in other levels. Therefore, the choppy loading screens got me thinking that maybe it was the game instead of the pad signal.

Pila

This has probably been discussed anyway in here but for Gamepad users which control scheme are you going with?

After one day of playing, one completed island and some switching back and forth I can't work out if I prefer the control stick or d-pad set-up.
I like the d-pad for these games. You always run at full speed and you need accuracy.

Is this better than Donkey Kong Country 2? If it is I am buying it ASAP!
Hard to say, they are not the same thing. You can't throw your buddie away in this game, level design is different. I do have DCK2 vibes when I'm playing :) but that's because this game is better than the Wii one, just like DKC2 was better than the first one.

(buy the thing dude, it's great)

Sickbean

Nintendo are the only people who seem to understand this.

2-K is evil.

There's no room for error at all, a single fuck up and it's back to the start. Tried it about 30 times no, i'm a slither from the finish but those penguins on the merrygoround platforms keep fucking me up.

kizmah

So, what's up with that portal
underwater at the bottom of the end of 3-5. The current is keeping me from entering.

The Boat

2-K is evil.

There's no room for error at all, a single fuck up and it's back to the start. Tried it about 30 times no, i'm a slither from the finish but those penguins on the merrygoround platforms keep fucking me up.

I've posted this before, but it's pretty simple once you get the timing right. Tip:
If you're playing with DK only, all you need to do is hold the jump button once DK starts descending in his jump arc.

CoolS

2-K is evil.

funny enough I never had any problems with the penguins. What always made me die was that stupid big enemy after them because I kept bouncing only once on him before plumetting to my death...

Timeaisis

2-K is evil.

That's like the one part of the level where I actually waited a split second before jumping so I could hit the first penguin. Also, as others have said, hit (and hold) "A" before you come in contact with an enemy. DK has something like half a second of give for his super bounce (what you are doing the entire level). Once you know get that timing down, it's easier, but still obviously challenging. It's a lot of trial and error on what exactly works.

The general rule is to keep moving. If you hesitate, you will die. There's only a couple of instances where you have to wait (the merry-go-round penguins for me, the owl part where you have to jump on his head a few times before the platform arrives, etc.). Everything else you literally want to jump immediately when you get the chance.

3-K was a lot easier for me. Still challenging, though.

Top Bottom