• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Island 2 boss finally down after around 40 deaths throughout the last couple of days. Towards the end I realized that I did better when I was going quickly through with more aggression and not being so cautious. It's patterns seemed to really match up with this approach. Normally I would be frustrated and angry, but it makes me happy to see bosses test my skill in such a manner. Can't wait to see what other bosses are coming up from Island 3 and beyond. If the second one gave me this much trouble I see much death on the horizon.

Het_Nkik

Any tips for 1K? Can't quite get the gold on it yet.

Use Dixie. On the second ball rolling platform (after the vines) you can roll jump through the floating spikes. Do it before the platform comes to a stop and you'll keep your momentum even with Dixie's spinning hair and you can land all the way on the first platform with the burning vines. If you can't quite make it, you can land on the owl (I think it'd be the third owl) and bounce off his head to make to the platform. From there, skip jumping up to the higher platform with the burning vines and do a rolling low jump onto the owl to your right. Don't do high jump off him or the following owl and you'll bounce right to the next vine with a lot of speed.

On the next vine section (after another rolling platform), you don't actually have to grab a single vine. Rolling jumps and Dixie's hair will clear all the gaps. The last gap in this section is a little tricky. You have to do a rolling big jump but let go of the jump button before Dixie's hair activates, and then when you're close to crossing the gap, hold the jump button again to activate her hair and you'll just clear the jump.

On the part with the spikes that come out of the wall, you should be able to roll jump up past the first set of spikes on the right and grab the vine. From here, just keep climbing straight up and let the second spikes on the right hit you. You'll blink long enough to go through them and also through the next set of double spikes on your right. Then drop straight down (you can try to fit between the owl and the spikes or you can just take the owl out) and then activate Dixie's hair and float to the platform on the right.

On the last rolling platform in the level, just roll jump off it a couple seconds after it gets moving to save some time and get to the vines a little faster.

That should get you through without having super duper skills like the first place run. You only need super skills instead :p

daydream

Banned
The boss of W2 is harder than most final bosses.

Really? What's giving you trouble?

I actually think the progression in terms of boss difficulty is really well done. Beat W1 boss on my first try, W2 on my second, W3 boss on my second, W4 boss on my first (got lucky I guess), W5 boss on my fourth or fifth and the final boss on my 7th or 8th try.

mr stroke

Man this game is hard. W2 is killing me :(

This game is nothing new, but damn it's polished as hell. Might be the best donkey kong game ever.(maybe country 2 is slightly better?)

Andrew.

Banned
If youre having trouble with a boss just equip an extra heart and two banana juices. On top of your Kong buddy health, with that setup you're pretty much solid. It's not like your game percentage gor anything gets penalized if you use items.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just finished the fourth world. Overall probably my favorite one yet. Loved Irate Eight (and its music ggggggggggggg).

Just beat the fifth world and I can safely say that world 4 is the only world I've disliked. I hate the water stages in this game so much. So, so much. Boss fight was surprisingly fun though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only boss fight I did not enjoy mechanically is world 5.

Most of the other bosses have advanced tactics that can be used to shorten them. But the fifth boss is a real grind.

Serick

Married Member
Well, this game in combination with Best Buy's $25.00 giftcard promo finally pushed me over the edge to buy a Wii U.

Happy to say I have been surprised with the system and DKCTF so far.

Nintendo's still got it.

Kinsei

Banned
I finished Sea Breeze Cove on hard mode! Now it's time for my favorite island.

The following two images are concept art from levels that are not in the game. I do not consider this spoilers, however if you do then I apologize in advance and will remove them from my post if you ask me to.

4BHvMRi.jpg

OJYZXT3.jpg

I really wish these two levels made it into the game. They look great.

Screenshot of 4-K that I took: http://i.imgur.com/qs2OBC2.jpg

Effect

Are the pigs the toads of the DK universe?

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence or impressions on how the game has been selling so far?

Why not? I think it is quite fun.

I hate the music and I don't want to rush through levels (but you're forced to rush). There's no atmosphere at all. And there are no checkpoints, right? So they're basically new K- Levels. I expected more :/

Welp. Ran out of lives on the third level of World 5.

This game is hard. why does it have to be this hard gahhh

World 6 is hard, World 5 is not easy.

:D

Andrew.

Banned
Welp. Ran out of lives on the third level of World 5.

This game is hard. why does it have to be this hard gahhh

Whats your average life count? Ive only dropped to the 70's twice, otherwise Im always at a full 99 (damn life cap). Only at World 4 though so maybe the supreme ass kicking is on the horizon.

Oidisco

I haven't finished the game yet, but does it keep track of how times you lose a life at any point? I loved that little feature in 3D World.

emb

Whats your average life count? Ive only dropped to the 70's twice, otherwise Im always at a full 99 (damn life cap). Only at World 4 though so maybe the supreme ass kicking is on the horizon.
World 4 was the point where it started turning around for me. I was at about 50 when I got there, and before that, it felt like the count was always going up. During late 4/early 5 the number sort of hovered in the same spot, then a few levels into 6 I finally ran out. :\

That feeling when you preview your finished game impressions post and it's entirely too much text, EVERY TIME! curse my need to touch on nearly every aspect of a game.
My self appointed Gaf rival basically said just as much as I've got here earlier in the thread with half the text.

I hate the music and I don't want to rush through levels (but you're forced to rush). There's no atmosphere at all. And there are no checkpoints, right? So they're basically new K- Levels. I expected more :/

The music was such a let down, I think the stages are solid if a bit too much at times for checkpoint lacking runs.
Really I wish they did something different to the abstract golden temple in the sky thing once again, these stages feel more like what Retro wanted to have follow on from Returns Golden Temple stage if it actually had more than one stage. I was hoping for something much more visually different.

Are the pigs the toads of the DK universe?

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence or impressions on how the game has been selling so far?

When I bought it last saturday, they were sold out at one Gamestop. He said they had 10 copies, but they were all gone by 5pm or so when I got there. The other Gamestop down the road had sold out of their original shipment, but had another one that arrived earlier that day and of that they had 6 left.

So from my own hassle finding one, it seems to be selling very well.

The following two images are concept art from levels that are not in the game.
I really wish these two levels made it into the game. They look great.

I've been looking at all the concept art just now and it's amazing just how many great ideas they left out of the game. I know this is usual for a lot of game development, but some of these really make me wish for a final trilogy game by retro.
Sadly because of all the hate nintendo and retro received about not working on a metroid title i very much doubt we will see donkey kong country for a while...
Please retro, ignore the hate or at least send a bunch of your team to work with monster games on another dkc title.

Yeeeaaahhhh I don't think I'll be able to complete this level. DK's simply not precise enough for me (the way he slides after a jump kills me).

I'm stuck at 5-3, and I think this as far as I'll go. I get to the end where you jump on the fruit pieces above the whatever – you go past the barrel, why can't they just get you to the fucking barrel? – and I think I've had enough. I really wish this game was easier cause it's gotten to the point where it's as frustrating as it is fun.

Back to the earlier worlds for me!

Kinsei

Banned
Yeeeaaahhhh I don't think I'll be able to complete this level. DK's simply not precise enough for me (the way he slides after a jump kills me).

I'm stuck at 5-3, and I think this as far as I'll go. I get to the end where you jump on the fruit pieces above the whatever – you go past the barrel, why can't they just get you to the fucking barrel? – and I think I've had enough. I really wish this game was easier cause it's gotten to the point where it's as frustrating as it is fun.

Does falling there count as falling into a pit? If so bring some green balloons and if not then bring some Dixie barrels

I've been looking at all the concept art just now and it's amazing just how many great ideas they left out of the game. I know this is usual for a lot of game development, but some of these really make me wish for a final trilogy game by retro.
Sadly because of all the hate nintendo and retro received about not working on a metroid title i very much doubt we will see donkey kong country for a while...
Please retro, ignore the hate or at least send a bunch of your team to work with monster games on another dkc title.
I agree with you and I still think that Monster Games will handle the next DKC with part of the Retro team. But even if I'm one of the biggest Metroid fans out there, I would like to see them working on something else (Starfox? Because something new is IMPOSSIBLE) or at least a "fresh" Metroid because their vision with the Prime series feels just done.
Whatever, I want my "fucking donkey kong" 3 now!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

No shame in using items gurrl. I'm sure you can do it! (use dixie barrels)

emb

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Was a pretty frustrating fake out at the end. Once you finish the level though, it's just funny to look back at. I'd say just make sure you have which spots to jump to memorized. If you don't want to go for that, there's a decent bit of time where the fruit is bubbling up to show where it's going next. If you're sliding off platforms, press back for a moment before you land. You got this.

How can you spoil things that are not in the game?

I really like the second image. This one:

http://i.imgur.com/OJYZXT3.jpg

I bet it would have made for an awesome level !!!
That seems pretty different from most of the locations we've seen in these games. Curious how it would have played out. (The other one too.)

Try some green balloons!

JoeFenix

Started going for Shiny Golds yesterday after hearing about how bad 2-2 was from a friend who was trying it at the time.

He wasn't kidding, this level is HARSH! I couldn't make any siginificant progress after more than 2 hours yesterday. I never had to spend this much time on any single level in the original game...

But I finally did it, man does it feel good!

91WoaQj.gif

That skip with the turbo pogo up those 2 moving crates.... Holy shit you feel like a wizard when you pull it off!

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Was a pretty frustrating fake out at the end. Once you finish the level though, it's just funny to look back at. I'd say just make sure you have which spots to jump to memorized. If you don't want to go for that, there's a decent bit of time where the fruit is bubbling up to show where it's going next. If you're sliding off platforms, press back for a moment before you land. You got this.

This is a perfect example of how the game telegraphs to you the information you need to know yet people still bitch an moan. You can clearly see the fruit dust particles indicating where your next jump needs to be. And this was taught to you earlier in the level as well.

Top Bottom