• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

You know what would be really good? With all the recent hirings by Retro, the studio gets big enough to work on two projects, with no quality loss in either: a third DKC game (with soundtrack by David Wise) and new Metroid Prime (with soundtrack by Kenji Yamamoto)

Shame it won't happen :(

Deku Tree

I've been using the WiiMote + Nunchuck today. IMO it is actually a superior control scheme to the controller. I am enjoying the waggle to ground pound etc. Also I have noticed no lag in comparison to the Wii Pad where I noticed lag.

EDIT: Although they could have easily mapped the ground pound to the z button or the b button rather than using both for the grab.

My wish for Retro goes in this order: New IP > Another Nintendo franchise > DKC > Metroid.

I'm loving Tropical Freeze, and I'm fully on board with the idea that only Retro could have made this great game. That said, I see no reason for them to rush into another one. If they did this good a job on DKC, let's see what they can do completely unleashed or with another franchise revival.

Nintendo could use some new experiences, and Retro can always come back to DKC later.

If Tropical Freeze doesn't sell well on WiiU, Nintendo won't interpret that as "Oh, DKC doesn't sell." They'll interpret it as, "Oh, DKC didn't sell well because WiiU isn't selling well -- same reason as 3D World not selling well -- and a Metroid would've likely done worse" (which is not without precedent -- Returns outsold fellow Wii title MP3: Corruption by a wide margin, IIRC).

While you're correct that this is probably how Nintendo will interpret it, the reality is not that cut and dry. They can't just look at each title and bemoan the fact that these games would've sold better if the hardware sold better. It's up to the software itself to move the hardware.

So while they'll probably blame the Wii U hardware for sales of games, they need to equally blame their line-up of games for not making the Wii U a desirable enough purchase.

What would you guys think of the next DKC on 3DS? It would be hard going back to that after TF.

It's happening. Holiday 2015. By Monster Games. Considering the quality of their levels on DKCR 3D and after that getting to work with Retro on Tropical Freeze, I'd say we are in for a treat. It won't be as crazy as the console versions, but I think it will be great.

Darryl

Banned
Huh? I beat him on my second try. It's just a matter of memorizing his pattern. Which part is giving you the most trouble?

Edit: All this talk about 5K is turning me on. I can't wait to get there.

it's more of an insult to how easy most final bosses are nowadays. it was a good, fun fight. nothing in particular gave me trouble. it just tests patience constantly and i was impatient because it's the fucking 2nd boss fight.

Appleman

Retro should do one more DKC because:

1) They're at the top of their game now, delivering the finest platforming ever. They've perfected the formula.
2) The producer said in an interview they still have lots of ideas for a new one (and specifically noted Animal Buddies).
3) Returns sold better than the Metroid Prime series. And however Tropical Freeze does, Nintendo sure wouldn't have expected Metroid to do any better.
4) A third installment would complete a trilogy, and create symmetry by mirroring Rare's trilogy.
5) This in turn would allow for a sweet three-in-one collection at some point!

Just inviting so much NeoGAF backlash if they do... A single sequel 3 years later had some folks up in arms about it, just imagine a third one instead of new IP/Metroid

Ethranes

Donkey Kong guya, can you remind me, was there some dark lore behind Donkey Kong written somehwere? Or was I dreaming this, only vaugly remember something like that existing

Linkhero1

it's more of an insult to how easy most final bosses are nowadays. it was a good, fun fight. nothing in particular gave me trouble. it just tests patience constantly and i was impatient because it's the fucking 2nd boss fight.

Understandable. I was saying earlier in this thread how much of an improvement these boss fights have been over the previous iteration. In fact, there much more fun than most of the other 2D platformers I've played in recent years.

Haines

Banned
If Tropical Freeze doesn't sell well on WiiU, Nintendo won't interpret that as "Oh, DKC doesn't sell." They'll interpret it as, "Oh, DKC didn't sell well because WiiU isn't selling well -- same reason as 3D World not selling well -- and a Metroid would've likely done worse" (which is not without precedent -- Returns outsold fellow Wii title MP3: Corruption by a wide margin, IIRC).

Doesn't matter. None of the games are selling so this is prob the last gen we get of great classics like tr. Nintendo knows they have made good games but they are not going to follow what isn't selling any more.

So another terrible 5.1 audio mix from Nintendo.

What's the trick to get the best audio for this game? Set the system to stereo, or have the receiver convert the "5.1" mix to All-Channel Stereo?

I'm missing out in some David Wise in the current terrible 2.0 channel 5.1 mix

Andrew.

Banned
Any idea on where that final puzzle piece is in Irate Eight? (God that level was good. And the music...mother of god).

I know it's in the final section of the chase because I used Da Bird, but Im in such a panic mode especially with that darkness following behind me.

My preference for their next project would be in order:

1) New IP - Single player, gameplay focused with the same strategies they've used for "storytelling" with their games so far.

2) 3D Zelda - I know they flirted with that Sheik game after Corruption and would love for something similar to be resurrected.

3) 2D Metroid - I think the backlash would be as big as it was for Tropical Freeze (buh buh buh I wanted teh Metroid Primeeeeee!). But with their expertise in Metroid games and 2D game design I have no doubt this project would be incredible.

4) 3D Donkey Kong - My first request would be for Retro to NOT play DK64. I liked the game but I want their imaginations to run wild. Make it as grand as Galaxy was to Mario.

5) 3D third person Metroid - I would love a collaboration with Sakamoto to make the ultimate Metroid. Hell even use Other M as a structural blueprint.

6) Some other Nintendo IP... Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, or some original Mario spinoff would be cool.

7) Metroid Prime - I would love the hell out of it for sure, but I want Retro to break new ground.

8) Donkey Kong Country - Same as #7.

My preference for their next project would be in order:

1) New IP - Single player, gameplay focused with the same strategies they've used for "storytelling" with their games so far.

2) 3D Zelda - I know they flirted with that Sheik game after Corruption and would love for something similar to be resurrected.

3) 2D Metroid - I think the backlash would be as big as it was for Tropical Freeze (buh buh buh I wanted teh Metroid Primeeeeee!). But with their expertise in Metroid games and 2D game design I have no doubt this project would be incredible.

4) 3D Donkey Kong - My first request would be for Retro to NOT play DK64. I liked the game but I want their imaginations to run wild. Make it as grand as Galaxy was to Mario.

5) 3D third person Metroid - I would love a collaboration with Sakamoto to make the ultimate Metroid. Hell even use Other M as a structural blueprint.

6) Some other Nintendo IP... Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, or some original Mario spinoff would be cool.

7) Metroid Prime - I would love the hell out of it for sure, but I want Retro to break new ground.

8) Donkey Kong Country - Same as #7.

I was with you up until this point. Why in the world would they use the worst Metroid game as a structural blueprint? The flow of this game was so "un-Metroid" it's offensive.

Zing

Banned
Do you Wii remote & Nunchuck users really see a benefit over just the Wii remote? I didn't see a benefit to having analog stick, so I just use the remote alone.

Deku Tree

Do you Wii remote & Nunchuck users really see a benefit over just the Wii remote? I didn't see a benefit to having analog stick, so I just use the remote alone.

I prefer the analog stick. I just like it. It is particularly good on the water levels.

Het_Nkik

Any idea on where that final puzzle piece is in Irate Eight? (God that level was good. And the music...mother of god).

I know it's in the final section of the chase because I used Da Bird, but Im in such a panic mode especially with that darkness following behind me.

You can
swim through one of the walls I think on the right side of the screen. Should be somewhat obvious if you're looking for it. You swim in from the bottom and come out the top

Andrew.

Banned
You can
swim through one of the walls I think on the right side of the screen. Should be somewhat obvious if you're looking for it. You swim in from the bottom and come out the top

Ok Ill keep a lookout. So it's basically the same method as getting the one before that then? (Except for that one I went in from above rather than below).

I was with you up until this point. Why in the world would they use the worst Metroid game as a structural blueprint? The flow of this game was so "un-Metroid" it's offensive.

Perhaps I should have explained. Other M had some things going for it. A team like Retro would be able to capitalize on it's strengths and eliminate it's weaknesses. The fusion of 2D and 3D gameplay was a great idea and Other M executed it well at times. Samus was fast, and agile for the first time in a 3D space. Obviously you correct the wrongs like substandard (especially for Metroid) art direction, level design, music, and story, all which of course Retro has strengths in all those areas. Make the combat system deeper. I think it could be badass... Team Ninja fucked up the game as much as Sakamoto. Hell even have Tanabe keep an eye on Sakamoto so he doesn't get out of hand and along with Retro, it could be amazing.

Zalman

I haven't had time to finish the game, but can someone tell me if the awesome Jungle Hijinx remix I heard at E3 is in the game? I'm at World 4 and I haven't heard it yet.

I haven't had time to finish the game, but can someone tell me if the awesome Jungle Hijinx remix I heard at E3 is in the game? I'm at World 4 and I haven't heard it yet.

It's in
2-K, 4-K, and 6-K. To unlock the K levels you must collect all the KONG letters on each island.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm thinking it's the one
in the beginning. You have to use Dixie to make your way up the collapsing bridge.

That is correct. SCORE

Also, Twilight Terror is not only the best place to score coins, but it's also the quickest way to get a Kong of your choice and exit the level it seems. On top of that you get those two bonus coins immediately beforehand from bouncin on Waldough and rolling through the patch of grass he was walking in ON TOP of hearing the Stickerbrush remix.

sogood

Andrew.

Banned
re post cause 100th

I'm thinking it's the one in the beginning. You have to use Dixie to make your way up the collapsing bridge.

That is correct. SCORE

Also, Twilight Terror is not only the best place to score coins, but it's also the quickest way to get a Kong of your choice and exit the level it seems. On top of that you get those two bonus coins immediately beforehand from bouncin on Waldough and rolling through the patch of grass he was walking in ON TOP of hearing the Stickerbrush remix.

sogood

It takes mere seconds compared to the Mario games where...well, nevermind because you cant exit the levels with the shit you need. Why the series has abandoned this is baffling to me.

Kriken

Just finished Twilight Terror and got the secret exit
Please tell me that they use the remix at the beginning in later stages

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished Twilight Terror and got the secret exit
Please tell me that they use the remix at the beginning in later stages

I dont believe Ive heard it yet but man, wait til you hear that Bramble Scramble music remixed throughout Cannon Canyon and Rickety Rafters. Hoooooly shit.

leroidys

Use Dixie. On the second ball rolling platform (after the vines) you can roll jump through the floating spikes. Do it before the platform comes to a stop and you'll keep your momentum even with Dixie's spinning hair and you can land all the way on the first platform with the burning vines. If you can't quite make it, you can land on the owl (I think it'd be the third owl) and bounce off his head to make to the platform. From there, skip jumping up to the higher platform with the burning vines and do a rolling low jump onto the owl to your right. Don't do high jump off him or the following owl and you'll bounce right to the next vine with a lot of speed.

On the next vine section (after another rolling platform), you don't actually have to grab a single vine. Rolling jumps and Dixie's hair will clear all the gaps. The last gap in this section is a little tricky. You have to do a rolling big jump but let go of the jump button before Dixie's hair activates, and then when you're close to crossing the gap, hold the jump button again to activate her hair and you'll just clear the jump.

On the part with the spikes that come out of the wall, you should be able to roll jump up past the first set of spikes on the right and grab the vine. From here, just keep climbing straight up and let the second spikes on the right hit you. You'll blink long enough to go through them and also through the next set of double spikes on your right. Then drop straight down (you can try to fit between the owl and the spikes or you can just take the owl out) and then activate Dixie's hair and float to the platform on the right.

On the last rolling platform in the level, just roll jump off it a couple seconds after it gets moving to save some time and get to the vines a little faster.

That should get you through without having super duper skills like the first place run. You only need super skills instead :p

Thanks!

Lexxon

OK, beat game. No spoilers. Just incredibly stupid question.

How the hell do I switch between worlds? I want to go back to World 1. Is it via Funky? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Feeling mighty dumb...probably need sleep...

rawktapus

OK, beat game. No spoilers. Just incredibly stupid question.

How the hell do I switch between worlds? I want to go back to World 1. Is it via Funky? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Feeling mighty dumb...probably need sleep...
Just keep pressing b on map, should let you move lefy and right between worlds

Top Bottom