• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Andrew.

Banned
he got you to explain yourself

you lost

forever

I'm vaping with Master Kush, so yeah Im going to think more thoroughly when someone is gonna come rustle my nuts.

Boy, it's weird to come to a different thread completely and still be slammed.

We like games

I don't believe your opinion or others in this thread is any less valid or wrong just giving an impression I notice in most OT threads of recent releases.

Im personally doing ejaculatory gushing because all of this has been pent up inside me since Ive been banned.

jnWake

I'm speedrunning 1-K now. The boosts you get by rolling off the moving platforms are crazy, you can skip huge parts of the level haha. I imagine the WR for this level is crazy (I don't like to watch the replays until I figure out my own way of getting shiny gold!).

^Thank you, Xtortionist for linking spoiler images!

Anyway, got a question for those of you who've beaten and experienced 3-K. I just finished it:

Was anyone else absolutely terrified at the last platform?

It's just sitting there. It's a moving platform that was jammed or malfunctioning, so it's just still. Unlike every other danger in the level, it seems so safe. It has to be a trap. I didn't even want to jump to it, so I sat on my safe platform for a while. And waited. And waited. And finally decided to go for it. Once I landed on the non-moving platform, I noticed that I could pull up the plug on the ground. And I didn't want to do that either. I had made it so far, and I didn't want to die. So I just sat on the non-moving platform for a minute... and waited... and finally decided to pull up the plug. And then it flings me to the end of the level. HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF.

Anyone else experience this?

Oidisco

Can someone who's played BOTH this game and Mario 3D World draw comparisons between the local co-op experiences of both.

My GF loves playing 3D world with me, and she's steadily getting better with the controls. I'm not sure if the hardcore pace of Donkey Kong (the swinging, the pitfalls, the frantic jumping and soaring) would agree with her novice skillset.

Someone please put my concerns to rest.

I would say 3D World is far far more novice friendly than DK since it requires far less precise platforming and the difficulty curve very slowly increases.
The 1st World of DK might be ok, but the difficulty ramps up so fast it'll be really hard for anyone who doesn't play platformers like this regularly.

On the other hand though, for the more difficult sections you can always let you're co-op partner jump on your back and be more of an assist character. Should make it less frustrating.

Basically I'd say give it a try but don't get you're hopes up. You could spend extra time on the 1st few levels finding all the secrets so that she could get used to the feel of the game.

Neiteio

ku-xlarge.gif

Oh man, you delivered. The first and last shots are probably my favorite, but I'm cracking up at all of the shots with DK poking his head out of a barrel, and those
popsicles
look absolutely delicious!!

Thank you so much for sharing these. :)

Can someone who's played BOTH this game and Mario 3D World draw comparisons between the local co-op experiences of both.

My GF loves playing 3D world with me, and she's steadily getting better with the controls. I'm not sure if the hardcore pace of Donkey Kong (the swinging, the pitfalls, the frantic jumping and soaring) would agree with her novice skillset.

Someone please put my concerns to rest.

Mario is more manageable, and far easier. To be honest I have a much worse time playing co-op with my brother in TF (and he's not particularly bad). I just get stressed out when I want to take my time and enjoy everything the game has to offer and instead I find myself worrying about what he's doing. No one ever moves at your pace, which is frustrating on its own. Add to that the already difficult, precise platforming, and if you're not on the EXACT same page, you're going to have rough go.

My plan is to beat it single player, then do some co-op so that I can relax and enjoy it

Timeaisis

Just finished World 4. God damn the music is amazing. Loved how Aquatic Ambiance is integrated into lots of levels. Also, freaking loved
Irate Eight
and
Rockin' Relics
. Probably my two favorite levels so far. That music, too! I wasn't expecting
Lockjaw's Saga
! This game makes me feel so nostalgic.

EDIT: How could I forget
Amiss Abyss
! Brilliant! Is that a new song? I can't really tell, it works so well with the rest of the soundtrack. It's starting to get hard to tell which songs are new and old, they all are bringing me back. It's weird, but in a very good way. Can I call this soundtrack of the decade yet? I'm not even done yet...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
End of 5-2 was hilarious.
I laughed hard when I saw the penguin get eaten in the background after parachuting down

paile

Banned
I'm in world 5 now; game is sure not easy...but it does seem to evoke a lot of the same feelings as those SNES games all those years ago. It's much better than Returns in that regard...in fact it is much better than Returns period and that was a very good game.

It is right up there with DKC2 as best in the series. This is one of the best platformers ever made.

Sickbean

Fuck you 2-K, I thought I had you then :mad:

Can't stay mad though cause the music is my favourite track in the game :D

I'm forcing myself to do it without a buddy for some reason. Tried it with Dixie in a moment of frustration a minute ago at it made it worse instead of easier.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think it's the "not David Wise" bias that doomed it from the start.

I mean, it's nothing spectacular but it's definitely not as poor as many would lead you to believe(I don't think they believe it themselves).
I think part of the problem lies with the instrumentation used. The music sounds cheap and tinny most of the time.

The best songs are just themes ripped from the original games and sound worse due to poor the above problem.

Kenji Yamamoto has done some amazing work, but DKCR is not one of those. He was trying too hard to duplicate the original Rare games and just couldn't pull it off.

-Setsuna-

Well, that fifth boss was weirdly easy... The poor guy didn't even hit me a single time. o_O

As a matter of fact, I have to admit that DKTF is not as hard as I thought it would be. The reviewers were exaggerating, as often happens...

Well, that fifth boss was weirdly easy... The poor guy didn't even hit me a single time. o_O

As a matter of fact, I have to admit that DKTF is not as hard as I thought it would be. The reviewers were exaggerating, as often happens...

The game is hard enough in my opinion. I have died nearly 10 times on a few levels so far and I'm on World 4.

Retro did an excellent job of teaching you without tutorials; you can see what you need to do usually, it just takes practice and memorization. I love one of the first Rocket Barrel levels where when you die you are greeted with nice soothingly calm music before it puts you back in harms way. Nice job.

Anth0ny

I've died more times in DKCTF (and I just finished World 3) than I've died in all of NSMBU and 3D World combined.

I'd say for a platformer, especially by today's standards, the game is pretty hard. And that's a good thing.

RhombusPrime

Neo Member
After playing all of the levels, the only real complaints I have are:

-The bonus rooms still present no challenge and are repetitive. Every entrance to one should have just been replaced with an invisible wall that reveals a puzzle piece, imo.

I totally second this. Amazing game and my favorite DK game by a mile, but why they chose to do them like they did makes no sense. Even in DKC2, as far as i remember, a lot of the bonus rooms involved getting to the end of a challenge or something rather than grab every banana. Plus, the old bonus room music was way cooler..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62AX1_HTkA

comadorcrack

Neo Member
Okay Just finished the last boss. Can I just say the bosses in this game are too damn long!

Especially the last boss. There is no challenge to any of it until the last segment. Which I died on a fair few times, and had to do the piss easy, time filling first two segments. It just got boring towards the end, which really sucked the fun out of the end for me.

Apart from that though, I had a blast! I'm no where near done with it, now I gotta find all the secrets.

leroidys

I've died more times in DKCTF (and I just finished World 3) than I've died in all of NSMBU and 3D World combined.

I'd say for a platformer, especially by today's standards, the game is pretty hard. And that's a good thing.

I beat it today and thought it was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY easier than Returns. Maybe that's just because I played through returns first. There were only maybe 4 levels (including bosses) that I died more than 5 times just trying to beat. Most of the game I had 99 lives.

Alright, I have World 1 100% Gold Shiny'd. I think my best Global Rank is 13th in 1-K.

Trying to do a few levels a night.

Any tips for 1K? Can't quite get the gold on it yet.

dock

This is my first time playing Donkey Kong Country since the SNES game (unless completing my sister's Gameboy DK Land counts?). I was fully not prepared for how complex the levels or the controls would be.

Played some multiplayer with my girlfriend. We had to stop the game and check the manual (!) because we couldn't figure out how the controls of how to detach the two characters once they connected. We thought player 2's controls were broken.

I think I'm liking the game, but it's been a while since I was exposed to a game with so many currencies and items. When I visited Funky Kong I had no idea what the red, green or blue balloons were for, so didn't buy any.

Peru

I think part of the problem lies with the instrumentation used. The music sounds cheap and tinny most of the time.

The best songs are just themes ripped from the original games and sound worse due to poor the above problem.

Kenji Yamamoto has done some amazing work, but DKCR is not one of those. He was trying too hard to duplicate the original Rare games and just couldn't pull it off.

I disagree - I think he went for a different thing and largely succeeded, giving the levels atmosphere and not so much in terms of hooks. Different thing, that's all. Wise's soundtrack is one of a kind and obviously a greater work but I really enjoyed DKCR's sound.

Neiteio

I think I'm liking the game, but it's been a while since I was exposed to a game with so many currencies and items. When I visited Funky Kong I had no idea what the red, green or blue balloons were for, so didn't buy any.
Red balloons are 1-Ups. Green balloons lift you up if you fall down a pit. Blue balloons replenish your oxygen under water.

You have to equip them on the Inventory screen before entering a level, and confirm your selections with the + button.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Two hidden exits in one area
.. MIND = BLOWN

I love how the difficulty isn't at all gradually increasing, but takes random leaps and jumps back and forth. 2-K is ten times harder than 3-K. Level 2 boss is also arguably much harder than level 3.

kiryogi

Banned
I get the impression 2-k was the only truly nightmarish K level, and yeah it's funny coming out with a surplus of lives from it.

Deku Tree

I'm guessing that you skipped the post game content on the Mario games.

Nezumi

Started playing yesterday and so far I'm really loving this game, even though I'm only in world 2 and have already yelled at the tv in rage quite a few times.
But I'm currently at level 2.4 and I'm kind of stuck.

After the minecart changes to the log of wood there is this sequence were you slide on water and can jump out of the water and dive under it. It is just that it seems to me totally random, when I'm able to jump high enough so I can dive and not crash into the poles for that matter. I'm guessing I'm missing some rule of timing here, but I can't figure it out for the love of me :(

Edit: OK, like 40 tries later I finally got it. Feels good!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone feel as if some of the levels are just a bit too long for their own good?

First time through, not a big deal, but I find myself not really wanting to replay a lot of the stages due to just how long they are. I've realized that all of my very favorite platform games all feature levels which can be finished in 1-2 minutes during normal play. I'd rather have more shorter levels than a handful of long stages.

This applies doubly to boss fights which are WAYYYYY too long for their own good. Most of the patterns are simple enough but you spend so much time waiting that retrying after failure becomes tedious.

Still great, of course, but just the one small thing that has been annoying.

Sickbean

World 5 boss was the easiest so far - in fact I think everything has been easy since 2-K!

Home straight now!

Not really been putting much time into them yet, but I think my main purpose in the time trials is to ensure the rest of you aren't bottom of the leaderboards.

Top Bottom