• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

phanphare

Banned
Well, Jungle Beat is the best DK game ever, so....

well maybe. I just thought it was interesting. it seems that many reviewers are reviewing the opportunity cost of Retro making DKC:TF instead of the game itself. I expected some salt about Metroid but not about Jungle Beat

69wpm

well maybe. I just thought it was interesting. it seems that many reviewers are reviewing the opportunity cost of Retro making DKC:TF instead of the game itself. I expected some salt about Metroid but not about Jungle Beat

I read through a few reviews and came to the same conclusion. One reviewer even said that he played all DK games and was expecting something else. He basically didn't score the game for what it was but set the bar way too high from the beginning.

Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad
Dull, derivative level design
Employs some cheap and frustrating platforming tricks
Harsh checkpoints during boss battles

Anyone with the game agree?

LOL!!!!! This is just laughable! They shoudn't even be there in first point ( and I'd be glad if hard mode removed them). Next rant will be no auto-play button?

Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad

-I disagree (only through 2.5 worlds, though) with the level design. I've had some new trick pretty much every level. The word is vibrant, colorful and fairly detailed.
-I don7t think there's been anything so far as frustrating as even Returns in terms of 'cheap' tricks, but maybe we have different opinions.
-The check point system for bosses is the same as Returns. I just don't think it's an issue.

kubus

LOL!!!!! This is just laughable! They shoudn't even be there in first point ( and I'd be glad if hard mode removed them). Next rant will be no auto-play button?
There literally are no checkpoints during boss fights (at least I didn't notice them), so I can't even see how they're "harsh". But yeah this is pretty laughable...

mf luder

It seems to me reading the bad/average reviews that they had taken against the game going in and were just looking for reasons to mark it down.

Jackano

May be able to get the game at the end of this workday. Not very hyped personally, but this is the only retail thing to play in months.

MrBadger

There literally are no checkpoints during boss fights (at least I didn't notice them), so I can't even see how they're "harsh". But yeah this is pretty laughable...

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't think there would be checkpoints during the boss fights and wondered how them actually being there could be considered harsh.

Velcro Fly

Praises the challenge of boss battles while whining that it is harsh to not have checkpoints during boss battles. If that isn't contradicting I don't know what is.

MaGiKLauDe

Neo Member

I can confirm, in the review code I played there were no checkpoint during boss fights.

My digital copy anyway have got some slowing down and even small freezes during loading screens. Anyone else noticed them?

I can confirm, in the review code I played there were no chackpoint during boss fights.

My digital copy anyway have got some slowing down and even small freeze during loading screens. Anyone else noticed them?

I got that in the retail Japanese release too. I noticed it on a much smaller scale in Returns on 3DS.

deleted

Since Gametrailers mentioned some things they can't talk about yet...

Just so my hopes don't drift anywhere they shouldn't: No King K. Rool, right?

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone?

I'm sure this is asked all the time but if I order this from Amazon (I have Prime) when will it get here? Am I better off going to Target on Friday to pick it up if I want it for the weekend, or will Amazon ship it to arrive Friday? Thanks!

So we obly trust reviews with huge Nintendo bias? I'm buying mine soon so I'll see but I get general "it's okay" vive from tge game

GameXplain's probably one of the least biased reviewers ironically. I don't think they've given any other Wii U game 5 stars; they gave Pikmin 3 like 3.5, and Sticker Star a 2.

The Boat

So we obly trust reviews with huge Nintendo bias? I'm buying mine soon so I'll see but I get general "it's okay" vive from tge game
There isn't a general "it's OK" vibe, most reviews have been largely positive. Honestly, I will immediately disregard any reviewer's opinion about platformers if they think it's just OK.
Edit: I misunderstood your post, I thought you said the overall opinions were that it was OK.

zroid

Banned

Not necessarily agreeing about the supposed Nintendo bias, but I'm pretty sure MrBadger just said he trusted them, not that everyone should. If he's a Nintendo fan and his thoughts usually line up with GameXplain's why is it wrong for him to trust their reviews?

Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad

I stopped taking gamespot seriously after the whole GB shift. Too many reviewers there who don't like what I like, so I stopped visiting there.

Game looks and sounds like its gonna be amazing

MrBadger

'we'? I don't remember speaking for anyone but myself when I said I trust Andre's reviews. Anyway, I thought he was spot on when he slammed Sticker Star, which happens to be a Nintendo game he didn't love. Just because GameXplain's biggest focus is Nintendo, it doesn't mean they're biased towards all their games. If anything, it just means they're reviewing them from a perspective that people who mostly play Nintendo games will understand better.

Not necessarily agreeing about the supposed Nintendo bias, but I'm pretty sure MrBadger just said he trusted them, not that everyone should. If he's a Nintendo fan and his thoughts usually line up with GameXplain's why is it wrong for him to trust their reviews?

yh basically this

If anything, it just means they're reviewing them from a perspective that people who mostly play Nintendo games will understand better.

Exactly. They even posted a discussion where they laid into the Wii U pretty hard a few weeks ago, Despite their Nintendo-focus, they really do seem like some of the most level-headed reviewers.

Gamespot's Bad points

The Bad

Not every level does something wonderfully inventive, but there are plenty of levels that do.

Disagree on the cheap tricks point.

There are no checkpoints in the boss battles I've fought and they are reasonably long. Is that frustrating? Yes. Have I yet to stop playing because of it? No. It's a challenge that I am failing at because I suck. I just have to try sucking less.

Zavvi just despatched my copy of DKCTP!!! Also quite a deal with last month's -15%!!!

zavvidruo6.png

Hope to get it soon!

emb

Snow days last week made me forget all about this. It's so close all of the sudden!

I'm extra psyched. DKCR would probably be in my top few favorite games if not for the shake roll/blow. This game seeming to have better music doesn't hurt either. I hope the levels are as fast paced and satisfying.

kunonabi

has there been any word on classic controller support? I'll be using the wiimote/nunchuk but it might be nice for coop.

Top Bottom