• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Andrew.

Banned
Loving those water levels :) probably my second favorite theme so far after level 2. Count me as one who really likes the swimming.....and those levels, the music and graphics have really stuck with me, I find myself sitting in bubble stacks and just letting the game run often :)

I came home from work yesterday, turned on the U, turned on DK, went to Amiss Abyss and jumped into the water but floated to the top so I wouldnt lose air, and then pumped up the volume and smoked a bowl.

Bliss.

Darryl

Banned
It's like a 2.5D version of SM3DW. Huge amount of gimmicks. Never re-using the gimmicks. It's hard to not just play one more level when each level is so radically different from each other. I wanna keep playing just to see what kinda crap they're gonna pull next.

I came home from work yesterday, turned on the U, turned on DK, went to Amiss Abyss and jumped into the water but floated to the top so I wouldnt lose air, and then pumped up the volume and smoked a bowl.

Bliss.

That sounds like an awesome time! I really need to hook my surround sound back up to really listen to all the music but I've just been so lazy lately.

Andrew.

Banned
That sounds like an awesome time! I really need to hook my surround sound back up to really listen to all the music but I've just been so lazy lately.

Yeah Im getting into a vicious habit of doing that lately with Alpine Incline (ground) and Busted Bayou also

Greatest damn soundtrack of all time

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Why Funky doesn't let me buy figurines? Last time I played he didn't either. Is it another bug?
Anyone with the same problem?

You have all the figurines you can currently buy. If you buy more they'd just be duplicates. Figurines unlock the more you play the game.

But I don't even have the opportunity to buy them. Also I have only 4 figurines (DK, Funky, standard penguin and standard walrus), and I've seen several more characters, like the owls or the penguins with spears. I don't even have the Diddy, Dixie or Cranky figurines.

Andrew.

Banned
But I don't even have the opportunity to buy them. Also I have only 4 figurines (DK, Funky, standard penguin and standard walrus), and I've seen several more characters, like the owls or the penguins with spears. I don't even have the Diddy, Dixie or Cranky figurines.

Damn boy, what are you spending all those banana coins on? Are you even stockpiling them?

Kinsei

Banned

The Diddy and Dixie figures unlock after you beat the first world, and the Cranky figure unlocks after you beat the second (Or was it third? I forget which.).

When you try and select the figurine machine Funky will tell you that he is sold out and to come back later.

Yeah Im getting into a vicious habit of doing that lately with Alpine Incline (ground) and Busted Bayou also

Greatest damn soundtrack of all time

Yes it is! The Snowmad Theme is my favorite. I could just sit around and listen to all the music all day though! I wish it was available to purchase.

FUCKING 200%
I have become KONG!
Ktm2ffj.gif

Top five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen favorite tracks:

Busted Bayou
Big Top Bop
Alpine Incline (Ground)
Scorch 'n' Torch
Amiss Abyss
Current Capers
Harvest Hazards (and Underwater)
Jam Jam Smash
Frosty Fruits
Homecoming Hijinxs
Forest Folly
Frozen Frenzy
Oh and Seashore War

God damn this soundtrack is good.

Andrew.

Banned
Top five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve favorite tracks:

Busted Bayou
Big Top Bop
Alpine Incline (Ground)
Scorch 'n' Torch
Amiss Abyss
Current Capers
Harvest Hazards (and Underwater)
Jam Jam Smash
Frosty Fruits
Homecoming Hijinxs
Forest Folly
Frozen Frenzy

No Seashore War?

You have no soul =P

The fifth boss is kicking my ass on hard mode. DK is not cut out for him at all.
Who did you use?

I cheesed out and used everyone but DK except for a select few stages like Bopopolis where Donkey just felt right.
For the most part it was Dixie, mainly because she's my favourite side character and fortunately she also comes with the most cheesy of abilities which certainly eases the pain but in a checkpoint free single hit death world, I'd like to think it balances things out.
I used Cranky for a fair amount of stages as well but for the last two worlds it was all Dixie.

For bosses I stuck with Cranky for all but World 3 (diddy) and World 4(dixie), pogo cane can be really useful in boss battles but boy did the final boss beat the lives right out of me, 45 minutes of grief later I finally won out. I was surprised that aside from the final boss most bosses went pretty smoothly for me, I was expecting these guys to be the thing that prevented me from beating hard mode.

Wouldn't mind going back through a bunch of the stages on hard some day as Donkey Kong because there was something really satisfying about besting stages despite Donkey's lack of an extra ability in Returns Mirror Mode, then jagged jewels killed my dreams dead as did the bosses.

lewisgone

Oh man....picked the game up today after a week of indecisiveness. Traded in GTA V to get it (don't tell me that was a mistake, I wasn't a fan of the game unfortunately) - TOTALLY worth it. This game is amazing! I'm halfway through World 3 and putting it down for the night because I don't want to rush through, but wow. I think this might be the best game on Wii U so far. I enjoyed Pikmin 3 and 3D World, but not to this extent.

Every level is so clever and the game is great looking. I love how natural the levels look too - the backgrounds are so detailed. I don't know what there is to say about the soundtrack that hasn't been said but man it's amazing. I normally have my games on quite low volume, but I can't help but turn the TV up for this game. I don't really want this game to end I'm enjoying it so much...luckily collectables will keep me busy for a while. Even then though, I was still sad that the game was only gonna be 6 worlds or so, and I'm halfway through. That is, until I played the time trial mode.

It's incredible. I love that you can see other people's runs, and they all look so effortless when you watch them. Then you go and try and replicate them and get a bronze and there's a 30 second gap between the two of you. I'm amazed at how much skill it takes to get a gold medal, at least in the levels I've tried. I'm so happy that there's a mode in this with real longevity - and I'm looking forward to trying to get better at the game so I can get more than a bronze medal. It's also really cool how well the levels work when you are speed running them.

The original DKC games have been on my "to play" list for years. I really need to get on that.

Something I've considered: was there really a need to have "secret exits"?

Let me qualify that. So far most of the secret exit paths I've encountered are hidden side paths with alternate level exits. Couldn't they have just had you pick up a key instead (hidden in the same place) that opens up a new path on the world map once you finish the level? Forcing repeat level playthroughs just seems unnecessary.

5-6 Frosty Fruits is amaaaaazing and now I want ice-cream.

Also a Classic Sonic level in disguise.

Let me qualify that. So far most of the secret exit paths I've encountered are hidden side paths with alternate level exits. Couldn't they have just had you pick up a key instead (hidden in the same place) that opens up a new path on the world map once you finish the level? Forcing repeat level playthroughs just seems unnecessary.

Eh, lifting something from SMW is always welcome. I wouldn't mind if the next game made the overworld more like it too.

Agreed, DK does well enough with puzzle pieces as a secret hunt, at least it never reaches SMW levels.
Odder still is how some of them like those in world 1 aren't so much alternative routes as they're adding another level to your progression to the boss which is just kind of weird.
Considering Zip Line Shrine introduces the zip line mechanic it should have been a mandatory stage.

Bright Savannah is the only instance where I felt the addition of secret exits had been set up in an interesting way.

atbigelow

This game is amazing. It's probably too early to make this call since it's best to sit on a game first and reflect on it, but I think I'm going to rank this up there with SMB3 and SMW when it comes to platforming bliss.

I hope this game gets ported to the 3DS even if the framerate isn't stable because more people need to play this game.

The 3DS has nowhere close to the processing power to run this game as it is. More likely you'll see it on the next portable where that power gap would be much narrower.

Not big on the secret exits, either. Doesn't help that I was one of the bitter few jumping down pits and dismantling that Rambi level piece by set piece for that hidden exit that wasn't there. Don't think that really added anything but tedium to the game. Just put the levels on the map, like DKCR.

Mlatador

Banned
I fucking love this game! It's so so good. I'm really taking my time. Still in world 2, because I've spend way too much time with time trials in world 1, as well as getting all puzzle pieces. I actually had to buy Squawks because some of them are hidden extremely well!

Good thing about time trials is that they teach you so much about the games' mechanics, it's amazing. I've leared stuff I didn't even know was possible, just by watching other people's replays. Rolling on water for example, lol.

I'm 66th wordwide in 1-1 right now, btw, and I think I'm gonna stop it there. I don't think I can get get much faster in that level. The competition on 1-1 is too huge! It's probably the level that's been "time-trial'd" the most in this game.

In 1-2 I'm 28th wordwide and quite happy about it. However, the trick that the top 10 playes for this level pull off with Diddy at the very end of the level is just INSANE!! I've tried it so many times --- I just can not replicate that. How the fuck are people doing this shit?? :D

Koren

The gamepad has generally had less input lag than modern TVs when streaming so yeah I doubt that'd happen. I'm definitely thinking something iffy is going on.
He's not talking of a larger input lag on U Pad compared to TV. He's talking of a larger input lag using the U Pad as input compared to Wiimote+nunchuck, both used on TV (don't know if it's understandable)

Which is even MORE weird (and it's not obviously visible for me, even if I'm usually very picky with input lag).

Reached 5-K in the road to 100%. I finished the game without much difficulties, but those K-levels are indeed challenging. I'm not perfectly happy with those, because I find bothering to do the beginning of a level 30 times just to be able to go farther each time using trial and error (there's many places you can't successfully pass unless you exactly know what you're doing). Not exactly my taste (or at least put checkpoints for learning, eve if you can't use them if you want to get the reward). But still a very good game.

Andrew.

Banned
You know a game soundtrack is GOAT material when the girl you're dating who is mostly a non gamer comes over and says "Who is this? What is this? This is really good."

People weren't kidding when they said the final boss was the low point of the game, jesus.
After every other boss felt fantastic, was great fun in multiplayer and was vastly more memorable than most of Returns', this guy's just the K. Rool fights of all three of Rare DKC's mixed into one long fight with ice gimmicks that's fucking hell when you're playing with a partner who isn't that great at games but doesn't want you to finish the game without them. :T

If it was K. Rool (as pointless fan-pandering as that'd be), at least there'd be a nostalgic element there. Really only the part that's seriously bummed me out so far though, even the final rocket barrel stage on DK Island was great with a nice twist near the end.

phanphare

Banned
Growing up in the alps, that level and song made me laugh throughout. The owls blowing the alp horns is just the cutest thing I've seen in a game ever, also the jazzy arangements of alpine horns, while the Tuba keeps the Polka rhythm, is just an amazing interpretation of alpine folk music.

yeah that's a really great one. that level is probably my favorite right now tbh. the music, level progression, and especially the ending sequence. good stuff.

but yeah that song is great. it also has some nice samba rhythms going on in the percussion. david wise man.

Bliss.
haha my man! I did the same with Irate Eight before jumping into the water. that bass tone is glorious. so warm.

bodine1231

Just played 3-1,wow! It's been a long time since a level put a smile on my face like that one did. The music brought back memories of watching The Lion King as a kid,just pure joy.

I love the on rails sections of this game,THIS is what next gen Sonic should have been.

Zing

Banned
Just got the game. I wish Nintendo would let us install games to the Wii U because those loading times, while manageable, certainly aren't what I'm used to from a Nintendo game.
Benchmarks for the Samsung flash used and the optical drive show almost equivalent throughput. The load times for the downloaded and disc version will be almost exactly the same. Everyone is seeing the same stuttering and long load times. The only time I have seen a proven detectable decrease in load time is when using a very high performance external SSD.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
daaaamn 2-A

like, really, daaamn. That last puzzle piece is driving me NUTS, where is it, WHEREEE

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

edit: amazing work MYE

TEJ

Just got to world 3. The game isn't that hard if you pay attention to your surroundings.

I can't wait to try out hard mode :D

Kinsei

Banned
daaaamn 2-A

like, really, daaamn. That last puzzle piece is driving me NUTS, where is it, WHEREEE

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

edit: amazing work MYE

You're probably missing the one near the end in the section where you have multiple choices of which barrel to shoot to. Keep going for the highest one and you will reach a bonus barrel.

It's not a design choice, it's a game-breaking issue. When playing in co-op, the only way to switch characters for the second player (which is required to access some secrets and such) is to follow a mind-numblingly painful 10-step process of dropping and re-adding the second player. It makes us want to stop playing co-op altogether.

"Game breaking" implies that you cannot progress forward, which is not at all what you are describing. I'm not saying it was a good design choice, but it was a design choice nonetheless.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You're probably missing the one near the end in the section where you have multiple choices of which barrel to shoot to. Keep going for the highest one and you will reach a bonus barrel.

yes it's definitely that one! I'm so stubborn to look for guides, but when posing on Gaf I just cant help asking for advice, hah

also, FUCK that bonus level with the bouncing platforms. I lost 17 lives on it, fuck that shit

gotoadgo

I know this has been answered before but I can't find it for the life of me. How are people picking up barrels and instantly breaking them in time attacks? An example is the Diddy barrel in shipwreck shore.

Top Bottom