• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

hey guys im just curious and since im at work i cant check myself, what wsa the total level count of this one (including bonus levels and bosses) compared to Returns?

Timeaisis

I was about to say the boss for world 3 was super easy. Then he went ape shit on me.
Still beat them on my first try : p

Same! I don't know if he was an easier boss or I was just better at the game at that point. Still a pretty intense fight. I'm not sure how I survived that last part, tbh.

Sorry but you have to start a new file.
i've seen a lot of people run into this glitch, hopefully retro patch this soon.
It's very unlike nintendo to ship a game in this condition so i assume it will be fixed quickly.
whilst they are at it, they can patch in a restart level option,gamepad jack audio, and also a new world.

Actually, as much as like Nintendo, it's been quite frequent lately for their games to have game breaking glitches. Pokemon XY and Skyward Sword are two games that come to mind. It is really bad to see yet another game with this kind of glitch, and this should get as much attention as possible...but that's for another thread!

Does any one knows what might trigger the glitch, or is does it seems to be random?

emb

Actually, as much as like Nintendo, it's been quite frequent lately for their games to have game breaking glitches. Pokemon XY and Skyward Sword are two games that come to mind. It is really bad to see yet another game with this kind of glitch, and this should get as much attention as possible...but that's for another thread!

Does any one knows what might trigger the glitch, or is does it seems to be random?
No idea what triggers it, but I just wanted to note that Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 2, and Metroid: Other M all have game ending bugs as well.

I forgot about skyward sword, thought it was just pokemon recently.
Hopefully they get it patched, otherwise some poor souls will assume they have to finish 1-k and 2-k with all jiggies to proceed.

Finally got the game delivered by Zavvi, going to start this night!

But what's the matter with audio I'm reading about? I've got a pure two-channel system, and don't want to hear anything from the gamepad. I won't even use the gamepad at all, since I'll play Remote+Nunchuck. I just want to send full game audio including FXs to my stereo system. Is this viable? Have I to turn down gamepad audio and I'm good?

prophecy0

i've seen a lot of people run into this glitch, hopefully retro patch this soon.
It's very unlike nintendo to ship a game in this condition so i assume it will be fixed quickly.
whilst they are at it, they can patch in a restart level option,gamepad jack audio, and also a new world.

Wait, what? The headphone port on the gamepad doesn't work while playing Tropical Freeze? How am I supposed to hear the David Wise tunes properly :( .

emb

Finally got the game delivered by Zavvi, going to start this night!

But what's the matter with audio I'm reading about? I've got a pure two-channel system, and don't want to hear anything from the gamepad. I won't even use the gamepad at all, since I'll play Remote+Nunchuck. I just want to send full game audio including FXs to my stereo system. Is this viable? Have I to turn down gamepad audio and I'm good?
It asks you what controller you're using. I think the audio issue is only a thing if you're using the GamePad. At least I haven't noticed any problem using only the Pro controller.

Don't forget about the stuttering loading screens. Nintendo would be the last company I ever expected to let something so obvious come to pass. The sad part is, the game probably went gold 4 months ago.

Okay, so I just finished the boss of world 6 last night. Did anyone else notice that this fight is very similar to K. Rool from the original DKC? I'd have a hard time believing this wasn't intentional.

Don't forget about the stuttering loading screens. Nintendo would be the last company I ever expected to let something so obvious come to pass. The sad part is, the game probably went gold 4 months ago.

And how about improving those atrocious load times while they're at it?

And fixing the input lag?

And allowing to change kongs at the start of every stage when playing co-op, like in 3D World?

Linkhero1

Same! I don't know if he was an easier boss or I was just better at the game at that point. Still a pretty intense fight. I'm not sure how I survived that last part, tbh.

I lost Dixie and had only one heart left so I'm not sure either, but I managed. Cannot wait to play World 4 this weekend.

Is it me or does World 4 layout look similar to Donkey Kong Country World 4?

Okay, so I just finished the boss of world 6 last night. Did anyone else notice that this fight is very similar to K. Rool from the original DKC? I'd have a hard time believing this wasn't intentional.

The bit with the ice dragons being fired out of the horn towards the player was very Kaptain K,Rool, Lord Frederick is also a rotund but powerful looking leader that acts a bit goofy (occasionally dancing to avoid the thrown penguins) yet still has an intimidating air about him, basically he's kind of reminiscent of K.Rool himself in ways.

Het_Nkik

It is because suddenly the controls feel really sluggish during this part of the level.

Do you know you only have to worry about jumping and ducking? You don't need to press forward to help DK jump over things; he'll stay above the platform on his own.

That was my problem. Once I figure that out it was smooth sailing.

Andrew.

Banned
Put me in the group that abslolutely fucking loves the water levels and swimming controls. With the Pro C analog everything feels just right. Perfect fluidity.

Last few days I was replaying some DKCR in anticipation of TP and for the first time I noticed... You have air control on the mine cart!!! Seriously mind blown... Was always convinced of the opposite.

maxcriden

Beat 6-8 last night. Really satisying level.
Love the mix of fire and ice.

My wife tried the final boss a couple times but it was pretty late so no DKO yet. Cool opening cinematic though!

Lunar15

Put me in the group that abslolutely fucking loves the water levels and swimming controls. With the Pro C analog everything feels just right. Perfect fluidity.

It works because you can actually change direction instantaneously by swimming up and in a circle.

Swimming in games usually sucks because of unstoppable forward momentum: you're locked into a forward moving animation with one thrust. DKC:TF lets you pull up and go into a circle which lets you avoid obstacles so much easier.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished 2K and 3K. 2K was soooooooooooooo good. Got into such a sweet zone. 3K was cool too, if surprisingly easy.

Andrew.

Banned
It works because you can actually change direction instantaneously by swimming up and in a circle.

Swimming in games usually sucks because of unstoppable forward momentum: you're locked into a forward moving animation with one thrust. DKC:TF lets you pull up and go into a circle which lets you avoid obstacles so much easier.

The vertical chases in Irate Eight really shows off how well implemented the controls are. I had zero issues. It was a real blast.

atbigelow

What are the specific gamepad audio issues? I was playing on the gamepad with headphones earlier this week and it seemed to work just fine.

NotLiquid

The K levels are pure genius in terms of level design. I get the sense that these could easily stand as golden examples to be used and analyzed in courses that teach game design.

5-K is easily one of the best comprehensive yet challenging stages out there.
The first stretch introduces the moving, flipping platform that you know you can't jump on since it doesn't have a solid surface, or which you might not even notice first since it's darkened and purposefully blends in with the background a bit. Then it flips near the stretch. lights up and you realize the platform reacts to the shiny parts of the pipes. You immediately follow that up with a platforming challenge where you tackle two of them at the same time. Then the falling platforms on the pipes with cut-off ends are introduced at a height's reach with a visible drop that if the bananas haven't clued you in, you will be moving downward soon enough to react to the platforms below you that are conspicuously close to the pit. Assuming you get too eager and missed that by immediately jumping off of the platform, it will move downward as you already jump to the next one, with you knowing that the next ones will be perilous. Cue more puzzles and stretches that occasionally change the pipe angles, having the platforms fall in different directions, while simultaneously combining the previous elements you experienced, along with visibly perilous gimmicks such as enemies to bounce off on and hazardous spikes. Then the camera pans to show a moving regular platform that you might be eager to jump to but notice you won't be able to, etcetera.

These levels are busting my balls so hard but the amount of thought and testing that must have gone into them is awesome to bear witness to. This might not seem like much but these basics that persist in each new even more challenging level is something so few developers get right.

Gartooth

I'm completely hooked on this game. I can't remember the last platformer I played that I couldn't stop thinking about and I haven't even finished world 4. This is my favorite game on the Wii U and it will most likely stay that way a year from now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I think the reward for most underrated track goes to Horn Top Hop. I hardly hear anyone talking about it but I have a stupid big grin on my face whenever I hear it. Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh for whatever reason.

Kurtofan

I think the reward for most underrated track goes to Horn Top Hop. I hardly hear anyone talking about it but I have a stupid big grin on my face whenever I hear it. Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh for whatever reason.

I agree, this track is one of my favourite yet people don't talk about it so much.

And how about improving those atrocious load times while they're at it?

And fixing the input lag?

And allowing to change kongs at the start of every stage when playing co-op, like in 3D World?

First one is hyperbole, and the third one is a design choice, love it or hate it. The second one is weird... I definitely noticed it when playing with the gamepad, but when I switched to the Wiimote and nunchuck it felt exactly like DKCR. No lag at all.

So are they just supposed to pull a bunch of new levels out of their ass a week after the game was released?

hey guys im just curious and since im at work i cant check myself, what wsa the total level count of this one (including bonus levels and bosses) compared to Returns?

63 to Returns' 72 (or 7 to 8 if you reduce it). The average level in TF seems a tad longer though, so a very similar amount of content.

Linkhero1

The only time I'm annoyed by the loading time is after selecting my file. It takes too long to get the to Island. Load time for levels isn't really as bad as I thought it would be based on complaints.

Deku Tree

I am listening to the soundtrack now. So good.

BTW, the load times could be better. Compare with Mario 3DW, NSMBU or NSLU. I am not sure why they didn't optimize them more.

The only time I'm annoyed by the loading time is after selecting my file. It takes too long to get the to Island. Load time for levels isn't really as bad as I thought it would be based on complaints.

It's a bit bizarre, the game takes an age to load up the title screen and then another chunk of time for the map.
Meanwhile stage loading times seem perfectly fine to me and I'm a guy who doesn't like loading, makes me wonder what the deal is there.

With the map screen I guess maybe having to whip up all the islands at once and their various bits and bobs including Kong himself might take deceptively longer than I'd have initially thought, they're definitely much nicer to look at than their DKCR counterparts, even so it's still a long time for a map.
The title screen though, that one still gets me, no idea what the deal is there.

Linkhero1

It's a bit bizarre, the game takes an age to load up the title screen and then another chunk of time for the map.
Meanwhile stage loading times seem perfectly fine to me and I'm a guy who doesn't like loading, makes me wonder what the deal is there.

With the map screen I guess maybe having to whip up all the islands at once and their various bits and bobs including Kong himself might take deceptively longer than I'd have initially thought, they're definitely much nicer to look at than their DKCR counterparts, even so it's still a long time for a map.
The title screen though, that one still gets me, no idea what the deal is there.

It is kind of odd. I would have assumed that the map used a lot less resources than an average stage. As detailed as the worlds are it's still too long of a wait. I don't think I've played another modern platformer that had map load time issues that TF suffers. Maybe someone with a bit of insight can shed some light on what may be causing the long load times.

daydream

Banned
It's a bit bizarre, the game takes an age to load up the title screen [...].

I actually kinda like that part, lol. Reminds me of the snappy startup of cartridges where you start immediately at the title screen. Sort of a weird illusion when there's not the usual parade of company logos in the beginning.

Finished 2K and 3K. 2K was soooooooooooooo good. Got into such a sweet zone. 3K was cool too, if surprisingly easy.

Been taking my time with the game, but i did beat 2k. I know the sweet zone you're talking about. Its what i like about the game, in general. That is, when you build confidence with a level, and are able to fly past big sections, that you'd normally tip toe through. It feels good.

Linkyn

jbRBDYjCUYmGO.jpg

Finally. Compared to the damn Fugu, Fredrik was way easy.

Linkhero1

2K had a great sweet zone. My favorite thing about 2K was how the difficulty gradually increased the further you got. You start off thinking it's not so bad, but by the end of it you will have cursed your heart out and hands shaking, deep in sweat.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
It is kind of odd. I would have assumed that the map used a lot less resources than an average stage. As detailed as the worlds are it's still too long of a wait. I don't think I've played another modern platformer that had map load time issues that TF suffers. Maybe someone with a bit of insight can shed some light on what may be causing the long load times.

It's not that odd if you think about it from a content perspective. Think about what needs to be loaded at a given time and how big those assets are. Remember the differences in size on disc between Tropical Freeze and 3DWorld/New Super Mario U and combine that with the amount of RAM available and the disc read speed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah. Even if folk think 3D World's levels looks just as much if not more impressive than Tropical Freeze, expansiveness included, the raw data size is what speaks volumes (pun intended) as that's what loading is tied to. Doesn't matter how 3D World looks, if a single level in Tropical Freeze is a measurably larger data quantity of assets (models, textures, audio, animation, etc) then that'll equate to longer load times.

3D World looked gorgeous too though. And it was 3D. And no noticeable load times.

Right, it might look that way to you, but the artistic impression a game leaves is not necessarily indicative of data size. Remember, games are still bound by technology. You could have the aesthetically ugliest game in existence using super ridiculously high poly models and crazy resolution textures, all in an 2D platformer environment while several terrible high bitrate musical samples play in the background all at once. It would look like shit and sound like your ears are breaking, but levels would still load slower than 3D World simple because a larger quantity of data is used in a level. Doesn't matter how good bad Mario/Donkey Kong look. The one juggling more data in a single stage is the one that'll load the slowest.

EDIT: And playable 3D space isn't all that significant, what matters instead is the density. You could have a gigantic empty cube that takes half an hour real play time to walk from one side to the other, and the data size won't necessarily be all that large compared to games much, much "smaller" in level scope yet dense with assets.

Linkhero1

It's not that odd if you think about it from a content perspective. Think about what needs to be loaded at a given time and how big those assets are. Remember the differences in size on disc between Tropical Freeze and 3DWorld/New Super Mario U and combine that with the amount of RAM available and the disc read speed.

I actually didn't into account the size of the other games. I'd assume it's taking a lot of time to load the game data into the RAM due to the size of that data. That combined with the disc speed cause the loading issue. Since the Mario games aren't big in size, it takes a lot less time for the data to be loaded. What's the size of the DKCTF game?

Sendou

3D World looked gorgeous too though. And it was 3D. And no noticeable load times.

DKC:TF is 3D too.

I can't find the Dolphin shot of DKCR where camera was slightly off angle and you could see how everything is actually flat. It's not like that in TF.

I actually didn't into account the size of the other games. I'd assume it's taking a lot of time to load the game data into the RAM due to the size of that data. That combined with the disc speed cause the loading issue. Since the Mario games aren't big in size, it takes a lot less time for the data to be loaded. What's the size of the DKCTF game?

Over 11 gigs and 3D World was under 2.

Deku Tree

Yeah. Even if folk think 3D World's levels looks just as much if not more impressive than Tropical Freeze, expansiveness included, the raw data size is what speaks volumes (pun intended) as that's what loading is tied to. Doesn't matter how 3D World looks, if a single level in Tropical Freeze is a measurably larger data quantity of assets (models, textures, audio, animation, etc) then that'll equate to longer load times.

Not disagreeing with that technically. No doubt, the reason for the noticeable load times is the larger data size being loaded.

Just saying that it could represent software bloat and lack of programming optimization.

The larger size of the game does not automatically represent more detailed textures and higher res backgrounds etc.

DKC:TF is 3D too.

But 2D movement.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

As EatChildren mentioned, it doesn't matter how gorgeous it was. You need to look at the amount of unique textures and geometry in each area. Super Mario 3D World is 1.7 Gb download size. I'm just guessing here, but each level might use 1/20th of that content and be loaded off disc in less than 5 seconds. Note loading could be done for each level as the player approaches each area and finish during the character selection screen.

Top Bottom