• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Kinsei

Banned
I know this has been answered before but I can't find it for the life of me. How are people picking up barrels and instantly breaking them in time attacks? An example is the Diddy barrel in shipwreck shore.

Roll as soon as you grab the barrel.

saska

I was bored so I made something for you oldschool DKC fans :p

jboLxN6GBe7ARj.png

I think the contrast in original art was perfectly fine. Why fiddle with it at all?

Neiteio

So I finally jumped into the Amiss Abyss...
RO9WZa3.jpg

And wow. Just WOW!
qDWkJeW.jpg
I just played this level. Every bit as amazing as I had hoped based off the music! The density of detail is on a level all its own -- I plan to replay it soon and take pictures of various details in the background (submarine, seahorses, etc).

Deep Keep, High Tide Ride, and Rockin' Relics were all great, too. Next up -- Irate Eight!

I just played this level. Every bit as amazing as I had hoped based off the music! The density of detail is on a level all its own -- I plan to replay it soon and take pictures of various details in the background (submarine, seahorses, etc).

Deep Keep, High Tide Ride, and Rockin' Relics were all great, too. Next up -- Irate Eight!

Well, you're in for a treat. The music in that level is pretty outstanding, even in comparison to the rest of the game's music.

Gartooth

The placement of the "G" Kong letter in 5-4 was evil, took a ton of lives and time to get it. I eventually resorted to bringing in Dixie with a green balloon just in case to snag it.

Roll > jump worked for me! Timing is hard but it's a nice challenge. :D

Yeah, it took me a lot of tries as well but I eventually managed to snag it by rolling, then jumping over so that I snagged it and landed in the pool of water. I had been trying to roll + jump and land on the platform but that proved way too tough. Just rolling and jumping full speed made it significantly easier, at least for me.

That feeling when finally finishing 2-K...

gbEwGKE.gif

However difficult, I really enjoyed this level. The music helped.

edit: I am suddenly aware that it's almost 2pm and I am starving.

Neff

I know it's impractical, and I know the modern receptacle is way more durable and convenient, but I dearly wish Nintendo would go back to cardboard boxes for game packaging.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I know it's impractical, and I know the modern receptacle is way more durable and convenient, but I dearly wish Nintendo would go back to cardboard boxes for game packaging.

NES and SNES boxes were the best: uber charming, solid, they made you feel you just bought a GAME. none of the aseptic plastic crap we get today

Marjar

Banned
Ugh I fucking DESPISE this final boss. His hitbox is one of the worst ones I've ever encountered. It seems way too small considering how massive he is.

Honestly, the rest of the game is fine I think. It's just these bosses that really slow the game to a crawl. I much prefer the simpler, quicker boss battles in the Mario games.

Kriken

So far 2-K is really making me wish there was a Diddy or Dixie barrel at the beginning, getting progressively further with each attempt though

On the plus side though, I will never need to grind for Banana coins again lol

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Finally made it to the final temple! Woah, that was really hard, and the temple levels are also pretty nefarious... Is there something else after I complete these 3 levels?

Deku Tree

Just spent two hours beating 6-4 and 6-5, and spending some time running around collecting lives. Wonder how long 6-6 will take me?

Neff

NES and SNES boxes were the best: uber charming, solid, they made you feel you just bought a GAME. none of the aseptic plastic crap we get today

The size and weight of them was great. The cartridge already contributed pleasingly and substantially, but the package was also stuffed with framing card, a thick glossy manual, and all kinds of paraphernalia in the form of promotional flyers and other bits of junk you never looked at. You're right, it really felt like you'd gotten something for your money as soon as you had it in your hands.

gotoadgo

I much prefer the simpler, quicker boss battles in the Mario games.
Those aren't even boss battles, they're just normal enemies you need to hit a few more times and are completely stupid.
I wish more games would employ longer, more difficult boss battles. You feel way better for having bested a hard boss than to have wasted 1-2 minutes on a pointless 'boss' in a Mario game.

maxcriden

Just spent two hours beating 6-4 and 6-5, and spending some time running around collecting lives. Wonder how long 6-6 will take me?

Ah dude, you are in for such an awesome level. And, it's definitely not one of the hardest in that world. You'll be able to handle it without too much trouble!

Seik

Banned
Those aren't even boss battles, they're just normal enemies you need to hit a few more times and are completely stupid.
I wish more games would employ longer, more difficult boss battles. You feel way better for having bested a hard boss than to have wasted 1-2 minutes on a pointless 'boss' in a Mario game.

Not only this, Retro made the boss battle long enough to savor each bosses unique themes.

Zing

Banned
Just tonight, I realized that there is no run button. I decided to try the nunchuck combo to see if it was superior to the Wii Remote alone. I immediately noticed that the analog stick behaved as digital. I can't believe that this whole time I have been playing as though I needed to hold down a run button. I haven't verified the controls for DKCR, but I'm sure I held a "run" button then as well. Hilarious.

It took about half a stage to acclimate to the nunchuck. I'm not sure if it is overall superior to the remote. I am able to roll more easily as I can waggle hands alternately, where I used both hands simultaneously with the remote. It would be interesting to see how much better I perform with the remote now that I would not hold the 1 button the entire time.

Only now starting to finish world 2. Haven't had a ton of time to play and i'm getting the time trial golds as I go. Going to tackle the boss before 2-K (you all have me scared of that level). Level design and presentation continue to amaze me. This game is one hell of a treat. GOTY material.

Despite being difficult it is easy to get lost in the time trials.
edit: Rocket barrel level one was pretty great. Jarring at first but it feels good once you get into it, unpopular opinion but there should probably be more of them so each encounter doesn't require so much re-learning.

Just tonight, I realized that there is no run button. I decided to try the nunchuck combo to see if it was superior to the Wii Remote alone. I immediately noticed that the analog stick behaved as digital. I can't believe that this whole time I have been playing as though I needed to hold down a run button. I haven't verified the controls for DKCR, but I'm sure I held a "run" button then as well. Hilarious.

Retro's DK games don't use a run button in an analog control scheme. You can both walk and run with the analog depending how far you move it.

I hated 6-4 actually. It was the worst Rocket Barrel level in the whole game. I really hate the rocket barrel levels. Just don't like them at all. Wouldn't miss them one bit.

While playing it I thought about all the people who hate the rocketbarrell levels and smiled to myself at how much they probably hate this level :p.

jnWake

Just finished 3-K. Fun level, can't imagine how to speed run it!

I also entered the top 8 for 2-1, but my run has a lot of mistakes haha, I'll fix it tomorrow.

gotoadgo

I actually play with my thumb holding down the run button despite not needing to. It feels more comfortable for me and every time I try to play without doing it, it feels awkward.

Top Bottom