• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

javac

IobHhSK4

9ZJH0fRW

ZRsusxxX

Haven't taken many screens really since I'm soo enthralled with the gameplay and possible spoilers for you peeps but I just took these.

Just tonight, I realized that there is no run button. I decided to try the nunchuck combo to see if it was superior to the Wii Remote alone. I immediately noticed that the analog stick behaved as digital. I can't believe that this whole time I have been playing as though I needed to hold down a run button. I haven't verified the controls for DKCR, but I'm sure I held a "run" button then as well. Hilarious.

It took about half a stage to acclimate to the nunchuck. I'm not sure if it is overall superior to the remote. I am able to roll more easily as I can waggle hands alternately, where I used both hands simultaneously with the remote. It would be interesting to see how much better I perform with the remote now that I would not hold the 1 button the entire time.

Beaten, but if you were using the remote only, then there is a run button (at least on DKCR, I assume it's the same for TF). It's actually the reason I use the d-pad with the gamepad. Gotta have my run button.

javac

I've only done a time trial for 1-1 and I don't think I even got bronze lol but I only attempted it once when I got the game at launch. I'm on 6-3 now so once I finish the game I'll go and try to do the trails and get gold. So sorry for the guys and girls who've added me thus far!

Marjar

Banned
I hated 6-4 actually. It was the worst Rocket Barrel level in the whole game. I really hate the rocket barrel levels. Just don't like them at all. Wouldn't miss them one bit.

They become significantly better if you just go into every one with 3 crash guards. :p

Kriken

I tried 2-K, but after putting in over an hour into the level and never getting past the jumps with the 4th puzzle piece, I'm done for the night. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe then I'll figure out why my jumps are so weak off the owls

This game is truly a great example of artistic design met equally by it's gameplay. Music fits perfect with the art direction, gameplay is enhanced by both.....

Retro and David Wise, THANK YOU for an Amazing experience!

Oidisco

I'm placed 9th on the Global Leaderboard for Busted Bayou using Cranky!

Now I'm trying to use Dixie since she's faster for the final section, but I'm fuckin cracking up trying to get the timing right for the part where you jump along the chasm on top of those flying guys.

I just can't figure it out, even after watching the replays multiple times! AAAGGGH!

javac

Now I'm trying to use Dixie since she's faster for the final section, but I'm fuckin cracking up trying to get the timing right for the part where you jump along the chasm on top of those flying guys.

I just can't figure it out, even after watching the replays multiple times! AAAGGGH!

I can't do it, it's too hard! It's bullshit! I can't do it! I can't! Oh hi Mark.

To high bounce off enemies with Diddy or Dixie, make sure to tap the jump button right after you bonk the enemy. Tapping it before will kill your momentum. It's unintuitive but it works, trust me.

Oidisco

I probably I should've seen that one coming...

Those are one use items right? If you die then you have to leave the level to go get some more? They seem useless to me then if I'm trying to learn a level.
Instead of trying to anticipate incoming hazards, pay attention to the trails of bananas and coins. They'll guide alobg the right path!

Linkyn

5-K is just cruel. It's by far the most trouble I've had in a K level yet. I just hope 6-K isn't as difficult.

I found 6-K more manageable, but that might just be because you're coming off 5-K and the entirety of world 6 and are already in challenge mode.

Edit: I've had a headache all night long, but listening to some world 5 tunes seems to have taken care of that.

DNAbro

Spent today 100% the first 3 worlds (except for gold medal time trials cause tbh that will probably never be done) plus getting all kong in 4. After beating it, I didn't know how i felt but now I know that this game is absolutely worth every penny.

Oidisco

To high bounce off enemies with Diddy or Dixie, make sure to tap the jump button right after you bonk the enemy. Tapping it before will kill your momentum. It's unintuitive but it works, trust me.
Many thanks, but I still can't get it. I can't even figure out the timing to jump on the bush guy that launches you up to the flying enemies while using Dixie!

I need a break

ChaosXVI

I'll do anything I can to make sure that the good people at Retro know how much I love their games...I own all three Primes and the Trilogy separately, along with both DKC's!

All 5 games are in my top 10 games for the last 10 years! (I didn't play Prime until 2004).

I think this new DKC might be even better than DKCR, even if music isn't in the equation! Cliffside Slide is just so excellent...

Spent today 100% the first 3 worlds (except for gold medal time trials cause tbh that will probably never be done) plus getting all kong in 4. After beating it, I didn't know how i felt but now I know that this game is absolutely worth every penny.

I have the same sentiments. I wrote a little mini-review a while back that had some criticisms, but after going through and starting to 100% it, many of those criticisms have gone away.

I also forgot to praise the boss battles. Man, they're just amazing, aren't they? It's sad that I have to say this, but the lack of "hit the boss 3 times!" is very refreshing.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I also forgot to praise the boss battles. Man, they're just amazing, aren't they? It's sad that I have to say this, but the lack of "hit the boss 3 times!" is very refreshing.

All the bosses I believe are actually divided into three phrases of three hits each. ;)

ZeroX03

Banned
Finally put down LoS2 to play this...

...it's the most beautiful platformer ever made. My God this game looks and sounds amazing. Some of the gameplay is not to my taste, but it's still great fun.

AdanVC

Just finished the second boss... boy it was hard! But I've enjoyed it a lot! It's been a loong time since I had this genuine feeling of achievement in a videogame. This game (and David Wise) just keeps delivering in big proportions!

Randomizer

Getting this on Tuesday for my birthday can't wait to play it :D. So as someone who thought DKCR was the best 2D platformer since the SNES and in the top 5 of all time. Am I right in assuming my mind will be blown?

What's with all the rocket barrel disdain? Is it the controls or difficulty or something? I love them! Once I grasped the controls it became a challenging but fun mini-game for me.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Gamepad battery was low so I took that as a good stopping point. Just have to finish 6-K and the boss and I'm done with world 6. All the other puzzle pieces have been found so far.

RomanceDawn

When returns came out for the Wii I remember thinking it wasn't quite as "realistic" looking as much as I remember the old Country titles trying to be. I don't know if the water levels are whats doing it or what but the environments definitely give me more of a realistic vibe this time around.

These under water stages give me an Ecco the Dolphin feel. Like the lost city of atlantis or something. Very creepy for me to imagine who could have built all that in DK's world.

squid

I'm loving this game overall, but man, world 4 really reminded me that I hate water levels in games. Sure, the DK water levels are better than say Mario water levels, but World 4 is by far my least favourite world so far :-( Juicy Jungle seems much better from the first 2 levels I've played though.

Neiteio

Eric Kozlowsky, the Retro Studios environmental artist who praised MYE's fan art, specified at the link that he did the environmental art for 2-1, 2-3, 2-B, 2-Boss, 5-3, 6-3, 6-8 and 6-B. (He originally said World 3 for the World 2 levels, but he has since clarified). Hats off to him for designing the gorgeous Windmill Hills, Horn Top Hop and Fruity Factory (speaking of which, I just finished 5-3 tonight)!!

On a side note, I showed Amiss Abyss to three different people tonight and they were all like :-O

I'm loving this game overall, but man, world 4 really reminded me that I hate water levels in games. Sure, the DK water levels are better than say Mario water levels, but World 4 is by far my least favourite world so far :-( Juicy Jungle seems much better from the first 2 levels I've played though.
I hate water levels as well, but this game made them awesome. I actually loved the water levels in this game.

octopiggy

Can you only get the last figurine once you have 100%? I only have one left to get (
Chops, the checkpoint pig
) but Funky says he's out of stock for now. I only have
two levels left of world 7
so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Neiteio

The water levels in this game are a joy to play. Making a quick turn upside-down or twirling through the water to bonk an enemy or hit a switch never gets boring. You're surprisingly nimble underwater, and it just feels right from the moment you dive into the water.

I hate water levels as well, but this game made them awesome. I actually loved the water levels in this game.

I have been working my way through four and it has been a struggle. Just have 4k and the boss fight to go, but I agree, enough swimming!

I really hope this is the last of the swimming levels. Game is wonderful but if I were a reviewer world 4 alone would probably knock a point off my score.

Deep Keep... Fucking aye, it took forever figure the secret out! Probably the worst designed secret so far. Although I did feel like a genius when I finally figured it out.

Eric Kozlowsky, the Retro Studios environmental artist who praised MYE's fan art, specified at the link that he did the environmental art for 2-1, 2-3, 2-B, 2-Boss, 5-3, 6-3, 6-8 and 6-B. (He originally said World 3 for the World 2 levels, but he has since clarified). Hats off to him for designing the gorgeous Windmill Hills, Horn Top Hop and Fruity Factory (speaking of which, I just finished 5-3 tonight)!!

Nice guy. I tweeted him the pic of Gloomy Gulch 2.0, among other things, and he said it was a rejected concept for the mangrove world. He also said he put the tank in Frosty Fruits as a SMB3 easter egg. It's cool to have a Retro employee that's open to interacting with fans after their 10+ years of utter silence on everything.

I have been working my way through four and it has been a struggle. Just have 4k and the boss fight to go, but I agree, enough swimming!

I really hope this is the last of the swimming levels. Game is wonderful but if I were a reviewer world 4 alone would probably knock a point off my score.
Yeah, the swimming portions can be tough.

But the way Retro designed the swimming levels was also masterfully done. Every level had something different and a spectacle. It was more beautiful than the land levels, well I though it was.

Gambit

Got the game yesterday and have only played four levels so far, so my impressions are still very early.

- The load times bother me. Especially because the animation during the load time gets stuck frequently. At least I'd want that to look smooth

- the levels seem longer, but a good length. I like it.

- the atmosphere is incredible already! The music plays a big part in it obviously. Loving it!

- Dixie > Diddy. As if that had ever been a question

klier

The water levels in this game are a joy to play. Making a quick turn upside-down or twirling through the water to bonk an enemy or hit a switch never gets boring. You're surprisingly nimble underwater, and it just feels right from the moment you dive into the water.

I agree. I was worried before i got to play them, but they're just.......fantastic.

This game makes sooooo happy! I mean this is the most fun I had in a a game for years.

I´m about to finish the game ( Last boss ) and I decided to go back and collect everything before I beat it. Currently on 2-K and loving it.

Top Bottom