• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

kizmah

The water levels in this game are a joy to play. Making a quick turn upside-down or twirling through the water to bonk an enemy or hit a switch never gets boring. You're surprisingly nimble underwater, and it just feels right from the moment you dive into the water.

I agree. I have no problem with the controls at all. And the levele are so gorgeous and tranquil (at least when you're not being chased by a giant octopus).

Just did Time Trial for the first level. Can't wait to see how many golds I can get before I give up.

I've officially unlocked all the levels and modes. Loving this game more and more.

EDIT: Can't manage to find this online, but does anything happen if you beat all the levels
on hard mode? What about Time Trials?

Neiteio

Just did Time Trial for the first level. Can't wait to see how many golds I can get before I give up.

I've officially unlocked all the levels and modes. Loving this game more and more.

EDIT: Can't manage to find this online, but does anything happen if you beat all the levels
on hard mode? What about Time Trials?
You unlock more art for 200%-ing the game (beating it on Hard Mode). Time Trials doesn't unlock anything.

Neiteio

Nice guy. I tweeted him the pic of Gloomy Gulch 2.0, among other things, and he said it was a rejected concept for the mangrove world. He also said he put the tank in Frosty Fruits as a SMB3 easter egg. It's cool to have a Retro employee that's open to interacting with fans after their 10+ years of utter silence on everything.
Ah, so the tank in Frosty Fruits is an SMB3 Easter egg (your own screenshot, at the link)? Very cool! Also interesting to have some context regarding Gloomy Gulch 2.0. You should ask him about Krem Quay 2.0 while you're at it, though if I had to guess, I bet that was a Lost Mangroves concept, as well.

Andrew.

Banned
Getting this on Tuesday for my birthday can't wait to play it :D. So as someone who thought DKCR was the best 2D platformer since the SNES and in the top 5 of all time. Am I right in assuming my mind will be blown?

It will be blown. Oh yes, it will be blown.

jnWake

I'm placed 9th on the Global Leaderboard for Busted Bayou using Cranky!

Now I'm trying to use Dixie since she's faster for the final section, but I'm fuckin cracking up trying to get the timing right for the part where you jump along the chasm on top of those flying guys.

I just can't figure it out, even after watching the replays multiple times! AAAGGGH!

That part is very hard. I have the 56.62 record (should be rank #2) and I have no idea how Nihashing managed to hit the 3 bugs in that section. I believe you have to jump just after the slope before the big bush enemy, but I haven't been able to nail it to hit the 3 bugs.

Of course, if you hit the 3 bugs then you have to hit the ending skip and not screw up inside the plane. Bayou is a harsh stage to speed run.

I don't feel like the swimming controls are that bad, but I'm using analog and paddling with the jump button. Trying to spin or use partner abilities too often is madness and will result in never going where you want.

Jarlaxle

I think all of these boss fights are way too long. Otherwise I'm having fun with the game even though I'm rarely finding any of the secrets. The variety is fantastic and it looks amazing but truth be told, I think I still prefer SM3DW.

Seik

Banned
I don't feel like the swimming controls are that bad, but I'm using analog and paddling with the jump button. Trying to spin or use partner abilities too often is madness and will result in never going where you want.

Wait, people think they're bad? I felt like I had absolute, total control.

Spinning got me mad sometimes, but it was my fault for trying to use it too much.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The fuq? Sticker bush symphony remix is used in a fucking rocket barrel level and only in the tiny sections when you aren't riding the rocket. It's not even given a slot in the music archive to listen to after beating the world in extras...WTF???

psychotron

Beat the game today and loved it. Last boss was a real pain but when it finally clicked the battle was over fast. How do you get to those "K" levels? I've obtained all KONG letters on many stages but not all puzzle pieces.

daripad

I libed World 4. Perfect music all around and it showed that swimming in this game can be fun, gorgeous and present a nice variety of gameplay elements. I hate the boss fight though :p.

I feel like boss fights lack spectacularity (except Boss 2) and they take too long to beat. In fact I hated all of them exvept Boss 2. Now let's see what there is behind World 5!

The fuq? Sticker bush symphony remix is used in a fucking rocket barrel level and only in the tiny sections when you aren't riding the rocket. It's not even given a slot in the music archive to listen to after beating the world in extras...WTF???

It's the biggest injustice this game has committed.
Actually, 2nd biggest, because the game teased me with a sax-filled version of that song then only gives me a minute of it. Dammit, Nintendo!

Did 3-K this morning, it was okay, cool. On 4-K now. This is harder than 2-K IMO.

Beat the game today and loved it. Last boss was a real pain but when it finally clicked the battle was over fast. How do you get to those "K" levels? I've obtained all KONG letters on many stages but not all puzzle pieces.

Don't forget the -A and -B stages ;)
You don't need puzzle pieces to unlock the K-levels.

Bog

Junior Ace
Finally got the last boss to the point where he
throws ice dragons
. But his charge is just too fast at that point.

AdanVC

Something I've noticed on the DKC: Tropical Freeze box. Where the hell is the Retro Studios logo? It's not on the backside, it's not on the manuals... They did one of the finest side-scrolling platformers in years, the least they desserve is to have the logo of the Studio somewhere in the box :(

Kinsei

Banned
I beat the fifth boss with DK on hard mode! Woohoo! He was a joke with the other Kongs after beating him with DK, although the same can be said about every other boss so far.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that feeling when you're at the last part of 2-K and miss the final barrel that will send you to the exit

screams+internally+_fd5070e501c4749ca98b43a7d27ccbcd.gif

Something I've noticed on the DKC: Tropical Freeze box. Where the hell is the Retro Studios logo? It's not on the backside, it's not on the manuals... They did one of the finest side-scrolling platformers in years, the least they desserve is to have the logo of the Studio somewhere in the box :(

Yeah it's lame. I wish the kept the:

Nintendo Presents

A Retro Studios game

that they had before you would see the title screen.

Xun

I've come to the conclusion that I suck at this game.

I've never played a Donkey Kong game before, so maybe I'm just not used to the pacing. I always try and speed through the levels, when I really should be going slower.

Koren

What are the rules of hard mode?

I'm down to a couple of puzzle pieces in world 4, 5 & 6, and finding the secret exits to finish world 6...

Is there a secret exit in the world 6 level
underwater where you have keys and chests?

What are the rules of hard mode?

I'm down to a couple of puzzle pieces in world 4, 5 & 6, and finding the secret exits to finish world 6...

Is there a secret exit in the world 6 level
underwater where you have keys and chests?

Rules:

• One heart
  • No Kong buddies
  • No checkpoints
  • Play as any Kong

That's a world 4 level,
Shoal Atoll. No secret exit there.
The secret exit in World 6 is in
Frozen Frenzy

maxcriden

I've come to the conclusion that I suck at this game.

I've never played a Donkey Kong game before, so maybe I'm just not used to the pacing. I always try and speed through the levels, when I really should be going slower.

It's a challenging game for sure, and it definitely helps to take it slower. You can do it, Xun!

Beat all the K levels last night! I also tried the final boss but died. I'm about to start it up and try again! Can't say it enough this game is awesome!

Yeah it's lame. I wish the kept the:

Nintendo Presents

A Retro Studios game

that they had before you would see the title screen.

Yeah, I was searching all over the box to see the logo to no avail. They had their logo on the back of the DKCR box, so to see it missing altogether is almost criminal. It's like Nintendo doesn't want people to know who exactly made it.

Dereck

I'm finding it hard to progress in this game due to the quality of every stage. I've been playing for an hour, yet I've been replaying the first two stages constantly.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Yeah, I was searching all over the box to see the logo to no avail. They had their logo on the back of the DKCR box, so to see it missing altogether is almost criminal. It's like Nintendo doesn't want people to know who exactly made it.
Nintendo made it. Do you see EAD Tokyo on Mario 3D World?

TEJ

4th world bosses third form, how am I supposed to beat that? There's no weak point anywhere, he's too big to dodge effectively....what am I doing wrong?

Nintendo made it. Do you see EAD Tokyo on Mario 3D World?

Retro's logo was on all three Metroid Prime games (and the Trilogy) as well DKCR, so it's really not comparable. Now, if EAD Tokyo had their logo (do they even have one?) on their previous games and it was suddenly dropped, we'd be talking.

fantomena

HOLY SHIT! I DID IT! I BEAT THE FINAL FUCKING BOSS!

Used so many tries. ANd I ended up beating the boss with aslmost full health lol,

I want to go buy a Wii U for this, but... I keep getting scared that Nintendo is going to drop the price again, maybe announce bundles, revisions soon due to their poor sales.

Think I'll just listen to the soundtrack until whenever I do finally get one.

Top Bottom