• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
50 lives gone and wasted ;(

Its the socks girl. Lose them and you'll win. Play the game like a true Kong

I'd say I can understand where some of the criticism comes from. Cant remember who posted it, but someone said these levels, K and rocket barrel in particular rely too much on trial and error, which is true. Ive just lost 45 lives in 2-k alone. Now I wouldnt call it bad design, but surely a couple more hints about where to go insteada throwing your arse into a hellish pit wouldnt hurt. Thats what makes them so frustrating but also so satisfying I guess

BraXzy

I've never properly played a DK game (shoot me I know), although I have started the 3DS game. I'm just wondering, what actually happens when you die die, like no more balloons to float back with?

Its the socks girl. Lose them and you'll win. Play the game like a true Kong
but then my feet would be cold!
I've never properly played a DK game (shoot me I know), although I have started the 3DS game. I'm just wondering, what actually happens when you die die, like no more balloons to float back with?
If you run out of lives, the game gives you a "game over" screen like the one I posted above, then it it gives you more lives (4, I think).

Andrew.

Banned
What are people's thoughts on using Squawks?

I use him right after I first complete a level. I usually only have a piece or two to collect. Squawks is my clean up buddy.

The beauty of it is that I don't mind replaying any of these levels again. At all.

Neff

A little bird told me that you suck at them...

QKypTGY.png

I've only just realised that I beat the entire game without seeing the game over screen once.

I don't think the game was easy by any means, but it probably does give you too many lives. That's not really a crime in a platformer, though.

Nice pins.

Oidisco

WOOO! Beat the last boss and experienced the glorious credits music! Such an amazing game that I was super close to completely writing off.

Now to find the rest of the KONG letters!

Mlatador

Banned
What are people's thoughts on using Squawks?

I'm glad he's there. I never use him during my first play-through of a level and only when I have the feeling that I just can't find the last puzzle piece/pieces myself. Some of them are hidden really well.
Besides being a huge help occasionally, I think he's also cute. He gets pretty excited when there's a puzzle piece around ^-^

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've only just realised that I beat the entire game without seeing the game over screen once.

I haven't dropped below 90 lives since I got there.

I use him right after I first complete a level. I usually only have a piece or two to collect. Squawks is my clean up buddy.

The beauty of it is that I don't mind replaying any of these levels again. At all.

Same, typically I left stages with only one or two puzzle pieces remaining and Squawks saves me from jumping back into already complete bonus rooms and such as well as pointing me in the right direction, especially useful for some of the rocket barrel stages.

Speaking of which I've wrapped up obtaining all the puzzle pieces, unless I want to go for the blue kong letters in hard mode stages (nope) then I'm done.
Well I suppose there's time trials but i'm not really persistent enough to wage war on the same stage until I can get shiny golds....or am I? no, no I'm probably not.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I JUST BEAT THE WORLD 4 BOSS ON MY FIRST TRY

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

It's not a very hard boss to be honest. I did it on my second try, dying on the final form on my first. Without a doubt the hardest boss in the game is the world 3 boss. That's the only one I had real trouble on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think I dropped to 85 lives once. Game showers you with everything, and I have yet to use anything from Funky's store.

It's not a very hard boss to be honest. I did it on my second try, dying on the final form on my first. Without a doubt the hardest boss in the game is the world 3 boss. That's the only one I had real trouble on.

Really? I thought 2 was easily the hardest.

octopiggy

Turns out you do need 100% before you can buy the last figurine(
Chops
). I'm going to give hard mode and time trials a go next but can't see me finishing either. I think this is the point where I gave up on DKCR.

Andrew.

Banned

And see, I found 3 to be really easy only taking me a few tries. So far Skowl has cost me the most deaths and required me to purchase some Funktified items.

Rocket Barrels are okay just to play through as regular levels, but when you're puzzle-piece hunting they're a huge pain in the ass. Following a long line of bananas you know triggers a piece to show up just to slightly descend too far and having to commit suicide several times over is obnoxious. I'd vastly prefer the time spent on them instead just went towards regular levels/mine carts/animal buddy levels.

Andrew.

Banned
Rocket Barrels are okay just to play through as regular levels, but when you're puzzle-piece hunting they're a huge pain in the ass. Following a long line of bananas you know triggers a piece to show up just to slightly descend too far and having to commit suicide several times over is obnoxious. I'd vastly prefer the time spent on them instead just went towards regular levels/mine carts/animal buddy levels.

Thats why you chunk that shit and go through on your first run collecting what you can. Then jump back in knowing what you know, learn more in the process and gradually wreck house. Then you go back again and clean up. And wreck some more house.

It's the Dark Souls of platformers dude, I dont know what to tell you.

Neff

I haven't dropped below 90 lives since I got there.

It's a tangible difference between the first game, which I've admittedly still not finished (although I've since learned to get better at it and gain an appreciation for the 'chuck style of play after beating TF), but I got many, many game overs on that, and I don't think it was all due to extra lives being less forthcoming.

That said, I think TF has the better difficulty balance, despite the over-earnest 1up avalanche, conflicting a scenario as it is, and has ended up serving as an ideal training ground for its noticeably less forgiving prequel.

You truly don't realise how long the last stretch of Blurry Flurry's rocket section from the checkpoint is until you're rounding up the puzzle pieces, those eight various collectables you need to grab among the final set of snowballs for a puzzle piece is pretty strict.
No hearts in this bit either, the artwork I unlocked for the stage made it look as if they had originally planned a cart stage for here instead which was like the final insult.
granted it could have just been an alternative for the snowball section

Could be worse I guess, the line of bananas at the end of Returns Hot Rocket stage that were basically in the lava jumps to mind and that's with one hit deaths.

Thats why you chunk that shit and go through on your first run collecting what you can. Then jump back in knowing what you know, learn more in the process and gradually wreck house. Then you go back again and clean up. And wreck some more house.

But rocket barrel levels aren't even platforming; it's just memorizing a long series of pre-scripted events and narrow pathways while balancing how you press/hold the A button until you're done. Even in time trial mode they're dull as hell.

You truly don't realise how long the last stretch of Blurry Flurry's rocket section from the checkpoint is until you're rounding up the puzzle pieces, those eight various collectables you need to grab among the final set of snowballs for a puzzle piece is pretty strict.
No hearts in this bit either, the artwork I unlocked for the stage made it look as if they had originally planned a cart stage for here instead which was like the final insult.
granted it could have just been an alternative for the snowball section

Could be worse I guess, the line of bananas at the end of Returns Hot Rocket stage that were basically in the lava jumps to mind and that's with one hit deaths.
Absolutely what I was thinking of. Those eight snowballs Squawks was telling me a puzzle piece was at were complete shit to navigate around, and it sucks since the last third of that stage is a hilarious twist on the minecart stages. Would've preferred a regular ice-themed minecart stage that transitioned into
a giant snowball
instead of what we got.

Andrew.

Banned
But rocket barrel levels aren't even platforming; it's just memorizing a long series of pre-scripted events and narrow pathways while balancing how you press/hold the A button until you're done. Even in time trial mode they're dull as hell.

That's why you chunk that shit

Pretty much this. No one's forcing you to go out of your way to collect shit unnecessary to beating a level. And then people bitch about trial and error. But to clear a level, like Dark Souls as you say, and thousands of other games for that matter, it is perfectly doable to complete a level on your first time through so long as you are observant and have decent reflexes.

I find it hilarious how Cranky has been somewhat of a joke among gamers concerning this game yet he is spot on with a lot of those comments he made on Twitter.

Thoraxes

I think 6-7 is probably my favorite level so far. So well-designed and the mechanic for the stage was really fun to wrap my head around.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's people being really good at the game and memorizing everything. I wholly recognize that I'm below average at this game, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize the controls. For my liking, they're not precise enough. Not that these scenarios are entirely comparable, but while I may not be bad at an FPS with weapon sway, I won't like that particular design because I feel like I have to fight the game to do what it wants me to do.

What do you mean by them being imprecise? From my experience they are always reacting instantly and predictably. Also, you don't need to memorise the barrel levels to complete them, you can complete them on the first run - without any luck involved. I know they are difficult, but they are fair in that when an obstacle appears on screen you always have enough time to react, no matter where you are on screen.

Andrew.

Banned
Pretty much this. No one's forcing you to go out of your way to collect shit unnecessary to beating a level. And then people bitch about trial and error. But to clear a level, like Dark Souls as you say, and thousands of other games for that matter, it is perfectly doable to complete a level on your first time through so long as you are observant and have decent reflexes.

I find it hilarious how Cranky has been somewhat of a joke among gamers concerning this game yet he is spot on with a lot of those comments he made on Twitter.

My Dark Souls line was totally joking and sarcastic but I wholeheartedly agree with ya.

jnWake

I just played Shoal Attoll. I don't understand the hate it gets, it's a very simple and fun stage... It'll probably be a pain in hard mode though.

Also, speed running 2-2 is the most fun thing ever, cane bounce everywhere.

Andrew.

Banned
I just played Shoal Attoll. I don't understand the hate it gets, it's a very simple and fun stage... It'll probably be a pain in hard mode though.

Also, speed running 2-2 is the most fun thing ever, cane bounce everywhere.

Shoal Atoll blew my mind.

Dat non linear Metroid shit comin back DK style

Neiteio

I 100% cleared the first four worlds, and still need to do the two secret levels in World 5. In the meantime, I've begun blitzing World 6. I am now at the final boss, but I will probably go and wrap up everything else first. I will say, though, that all of the World 6 levels are fantastic. I especially love Forest Folly (6-5) and Cliffside Slide (6-6).

In World 5, we have another of my two favorite levels -- Fruity Factory (5-3) and Frosty Fruits (5-6). Frosty Fruits is classic Sonic the Hedgehog. You have the springs, and lots of sliding action that feels like Sonic's slippery run, with similar wind-up and slowdown. The level has a great flow to it, and I can't help but wonder what a Retro-made 2D Sonic would be like. I say this and I'm not even a Sonic "fan," so to speak.

But really, the levels I find myself replaying the most are Amiss Abyss (4-3) --probably the most replayed -- followed by Windmill Hills (2-1), Horn Top Hop (2-3) and Sawmill Thrill (2-4). I guess by that measure, World 2 is my favorite of the six islands. On the topic of Amiss Abyss, it's a combination of the incredible art and atmosphere, the music (not only the Amiss Abyss theme, but the Crumble Cavern theme at the start), and the silky-smooth underwater maneuvering and combat -- I love bulldozing those puffer-fish when they put down their spines!

Andrew.

Banned
Half of the time I'm fucking up and dying is because I'm focused so much on the music. I guarantee most of the deaths we are all suffering from have to do with the soundtrack because it's so fucking distracting because it's the best game soundtrack it is come out in the past 20 years

I'm probably now in the minority, but I still think Retro's best soundtrack belongs to Metroid Prime. TF's has some absolutely fantastic "songs" but there are way too many that I'm not too fond of to consider it better than the absolutely phenominal Prime soundtrack.

daydream

Banned
Wait, which K level is supposed to be the hardest? I just did 2-K on my first try (getting zero puzzle pieces, mind you, but still), while it took me about 10-15 tries for 1-K.

Anyway, 2-K had a fantastic flow. Probably the best level to farm lives in, too.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm probably now in the minority, but I still think Retro's best soundtrack belongs to Metroid Prime. TF's has some absolutely fantastic "songs" but there are way too many that I'm not too fond of to consider it better than the absolutely phenominal Prime soundtrack.

I love Primes soundtrack but the sheer number of varietal sounding tracks on TF beat it out for me. 57 to what?

Wait, which K level is supposed to be the hardest? I just did 2-K on my first try (getting zero puzzle pieces, mind you, but still), while it took me about 10-15 tries for 1-K.

Anyway, 2-K had a fantastic flow. Probably the best level to farm lives in, too.

I think 4-K probably killed me the most. But honestly none of them even came close to destroying me as much as some of the ones in DKCR.

Neiteio

2-K is where I go when I want to stock up on Banana Coins. You can net dozens of coins in a single run, bouncing off each enemy with the high jump. And coins get you figurines!

I love Primes soundtrack but the sheer number of varietal sounding tracks on TF beat it out for me. 57 to what?

Whether something is better or not does not have much to do with quantity in my eyes. Yes, TF probably has double the amount of music Prime did but like I said, there was way too many tracks I found dull in TF for me to consider it better than Prime.

npa189

Beat world 3 boss, very fun and pretty forgiving. I only died 3 times. I played through world 4-2.
Dat dynamic mine cart level was masterful, Retro has now passed rare in my book.
The music in this game is just genius, those underwater levels. Hiring David Wise again was one of the best decisions Nintendo has made in recent memory, this just feels like I'm playing a big, beautiful SNES game. I'm honing to be real sad when I beat it..

Andrew.

Banned
Whether something is better or not does not have much to do with quantity in my eyes. Yes, TF probably has double the amount of music Prime did but like I said, there was way too many tracks I found dull in TF for me to consider it better than Prime.

I hear you. There sure as hell ain't no Phendrana Drifts in DK.

but that Seashore War man...

Top Bottom