• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Just started playing. Don't love it so far. Only at 2-3 so far. 2-2 level was really lame.

q3eQAGJ.gif

I just beat Tropical Freeze like an hour ago. Really fun game, although there were some sudden difficulty spikes that I wasn't too fond of. Currently going to try and unlock the special stages, I didn't really bother with it in Returns despite 100%ing the original trilogy.

daydream

Banned
3-K down. Took me around the same amount of tries as 1-K. Can't say it was difficult, just need to pull off the individual parts in one run.

I think the artwork is my favourite part of the extras, surprisingly enough. The music is godtier, but not complete, the dioramas could be bigger, and the figurines are.. just kinda there. They would benefit from a flashier presentation, let's say.

jnWake

The artwork of a
savannah silhouette level
made me so sad, it'd have been awesome. It also bugs me that the temple images show animals that weren't present in the levels. Wonder how many stages they cut.

3-K down. Took me around the same amount of tries as 1-K. Can't say it was difficult, just need to pull off the individual parts in one run.

I think the artwork is my favourite part of the extras, surprisingly enough. The music is godtier, but not complete, the dioramas could be bigger, and the figurines are.. just kinda there. They would benefit from a flashier presentation, let's say.

I think I agree with this. The music would be the top choice if you got the whole selection rather than just four tracks per world, and I find it strange they don't have figurines for the non-Snowmad enemies.

I'm probably now in the minority, but I still think Retro's best soundtrack belongs to Metroid Prime. TF's has some absolutely fantastic "songs" but there are way too many that I'm not too fond of to consider it better than the absolutely phenominal Prime soundtrack.

I'm actually not that big of a fan of Prime's soundtrack. It suits the game extremely well of course, but I don't ever feel compelled to listen to it outside of the game. I vastly prefer Tropical Freeze's soundtrack, but then again I'm a huge David Wise fan.

I definitely agree with those that consider this one of the best OSTs in a long time. I still haven't even gotten my hands on the game yet, but I can't stop listening to the music.

noobasuar

Banned
Anyone willing to give me a hint on where a difficult puzzle piece is on 2-A Crumble Cavern?

Even the bird seems to be useless with helping me.

Why is it that if I have my headphones in the Wii U, I can hear audio during the title screen. Yet, the second I start my save file, the audio stops.

This is annoying because late at night, I want to be able to play on the TV while having audio coming through the headphone jack.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This is one of the very few platformers where I've actually wanted to replay some of the bosses. This music is too damn good

yeah, that's like David Wise's craziest moment. You got a cartoony platformer with a boss fight against a giant circus seal? Let's slam some awesomely hardcore guitar riffs in it just because

_Clash_

yeah, that's like David Wise's craziest moment. You got a cartoony platformer with a boss fight against a giant circus seal? Let's slam some awesomely hardcore guitar riffs in it just because

They're fictional Vikings, from a factional Scandinavia.The home of death metal. Hence, the soundtrack takes in some metal riffs. :D

Genuinely Amazing.

It's super tough, but it is doable. I think Diddy will help you the most, not sure who you're using right now but that would be my advice.

I think Cranky is optimal. The cane seems to increase DK's hitbox and using it gives DK more downward acceleration, making it easier to time. You can also cane bounce to kill the helmeted minions and gain hearts.

maxcriden

I think Cranky is optimal. The cane seems to increase DK's hitbox and using it gives DK more downward acceleration, making it easier to time. You can also cane bounce to kill the helmeted minions and gain hearts.

Ah, I can see that argument, and you definitely have more experience with that battle than I do. The only thing I observed when watching my wife play that level was that

having Diddy allowed her to jump a bit earlier and time her jumps more easily when trying to hit the boss when he's ramming towards you, and to float over the ice dragons and between the floating platforms in Phase 3 more easily. Also, you can still roll into the minions to gain hearts if you hit them first.

Neiteio

Guys, I like all of the stages so much. This is frustrating, because I like to have a list of favorites and it's hard to form one here. :-\

I'm actually not that big of a fan of Prime's soundtrack. It suits the game extremely well of course, but I don't ever feel compelled to listen to it outside of the game. I vastly prefer Tropical Freeze's soundtrack, but then again I'm a huge David Wise fan.

I definitely agree with those that consider this one of the best OSTs in a long time. I still haven't even gotten my hands on the game yet, but I can't stop listening to the music.

I'm different. For me, the mark of a good soundtrack is one that is integrated so well into the that it's a "part" of the game itself... These type of soundtracks usually sound less good outside of the context of the game. It's how well everything gells together. That is part of why I love Retro so much, because every aspect of their design is seamlessly integrated, soundtrack included (at least with the Prime games). The Tropical Freeze soundtrack, on the other hand, is not as integrated into the fabric of the rest of the game as their Metroid games were. Wise writes some great tunes, no doubt, and in some instances he can make the music one with the rest of the game, but not with the grace and consistency that Yamamoto was able to with the Prime games. They tend to be just as fabulous outside of the games themselves, which in some ways I guess is a plus, but it's not really the mark of a great soundtrack. Just my opinion of course.

You have to pick one stage from each world. That's your list.

Let's fucking do it.

Spoilers

Lost Mangroves: Busted Bayou
Autumn Heights: Alpine Incline (indecisive >_<)
Bright Savannah: Grassland Groove
Sea Breeze Cove: Amiss Abyss
Juicy Jungle: Fruity Factory (same as world 2 >_<)
DK Island: Cliffside Slide
K Temple: Bopopolis
Secret Seclusion: Crazy Clouds
Boss: Fugu Face-Off

Neiteio

If those are the rules (favorite stage per world):

Autumn Heights: Windmill Hills
Juicy Jungle: Frosty Fruits

Most difficult choices here were Windmill Hills vs. Horn Top Hop, and Fruity Factory vs. Frosty Fruits. Also have some debate between Cliffside Slide vs. Forest Folly.

I keep returning to Amiss Abyss -- so fun slicing through the water one moment and then nimbly turning a corner the next, while soaking in the art and atmosphere. So among my favorites, that's definitely high on the list... whatever order that list may be!

maxcriden

Some great choices, guys! And some levels I'm eager to try. I haven't played any A, B, or K levels yet, saving those for after I have all the letters in all the levels.

I keep returning to Amiss Abyss -- so fun slicing through the water one moment and then nimbly turning a corner the next, while soaking in the art and atmosphere. So among my favorites, that's definitely high on the list... whatever order that list may be!

That part
when you're swimming along with the two groups of jellyfish with that music gives me so many feels ;_;

Let's fucking do it.

Spoilers

Autumn Heights: Alpine Incline (indecisive >_<)
Juicy Jungle: Fruity Factory (same as world 2 >_<)
K Temple: Bopopolis
Secret Seclusion: Crazy Clouds
Boss: Fugu Face-Off

Ugh. I hate doing this cause as I said, the best I could probably do is a top 30, but I will try.

Lost Mangroves - Busted Bayou
Autumn Heights - Wing Ding
Bright Savannah - Scorch'n'Torch
See Breeze Cove - High Tide Ride
Juicy Jungle - Fruity Factory
DK Island - Frozen Frenzy
Secret Seclusion - Levitation Station
K - Platform Problems
Boss - Fugu Face-Off

I feel like an absolutely horrible person for leaving out so many amazing levels.

udivision

You can't use the Classic Controller Pro on this? Really? Is this a final "Take That!" to the people who complained you couldn't use it in the original DKCR or somethin'? Sheesh.

What does collecting all of the KONG letters in hard difficulty do? Just wondering if I want to bother trying to get them all. Unless there's something really cool I think I'll just skip them and see how much I finish before Dark Souls II is out.

I'd like to make a list of my favorite tracks but that's going to require some organizing. Maybe later. Off to work on World 2.

Neiteio

Wow, so awesome to see all the love for the World 4 boss,
Fugu
! He's definitely one of my favorites, too, although I'm quite smitten with the World 5 boss,
Bashmaster
, in particular how he puts on the pressure with his
fake-outs
. I'd probably still give the nod to the World 4 boss as my favorite, though. Definitely my favorite design, and the most gorgeous-looking battle (the colors just POP off the TV screen). Love the back-and-forth between
dodging the projectiles and hitting his backside

jnWake

I just played Amiss Abyss. Most beautiful level ever, I love it. Music and graphics are perfect, the lightning is incredible...

Also I'm done with 2-2 for a while, it's fun to speed run but it's hard to get consistent with the trick at the end. I managed to reach #5 of the leaderboards so that's cool!

Kinsei

Banned

Lost Mangroves:
Busted Bayou
Autumn Heights:
Alpine Incline
Bright Savannah:
Bramble Scramble
Sea Breeze Cove:
Irate Eight
Juicy Jungle:
Frosty Fruits
Donkey Kong Island:
Cliffside Slide
K Temple:
Platform Problems
Secret Seclusion: Rocket Rails
Boss:
Punch Bowl

That was a really hard list to make.

Neiteio

Hey Xtortionist and Kinsei, Alpine Incline is a great stage and all, but I'm surprised you two picked it over Horn Top Hop or my pick, Windmill Hills. Again, Alpine Incline is a GREAT stage -- but I think it's a shade less than the others, just because the
balloon bouncing and raft ride sort of slow down/fracture the flow
... Although again, it feels odd to even offer such "criticisms," because it is a GREAT stage. :)

EDIT: Oh snap, Bramble Scramble in World 3... That was a good one. :-O

World 2 also has Sawmill Thrill that is amazing. World 2 in general is amazing!

Yup. Autumn Heights is my second favorite after Juicy Jungle. In fact, in some ways it's even better due to it's diversity but the overall batshit insanity of Juicy Jungle and my love of all things industrial/mechanical make it win out.

Neiteio

World 2 also has Sawmill Thrill that is amazing. World 2 in general is amazing!
Sawmill Thrill is like some amazing Pixar short that's full of frantic energy. It really is one of the most "complete" experiences in the game, with a perfect beginning, middle and end, and music that is immaculately tailored to the action. That being said, I think Windmill Hill and Horn Top Hop edge it out in my eyes, because they throw a greater variety of challenges at the player.

Of course, the fact it's so difficult to choose one among them as my "favorite" just goes to show the greatness of Autumn Hills. It's definitely my favorite world. So many fantastic levels! I haven't even mentioned my love for
Wing Ding, Crumble Cavern and Rodent Ruckus
. It also has the best K-level, and one of my favorite bosses. :)

Sawmill Thrill is like some amazing Pixar short that's full of frantic energy. It really is one of the most "complete" experiences in the game, with a perfect beginning, middle and end, and music that is immaculately tailored to the action. I think Windmill Hill and Horn Top Hop edge it out in my eyes, though, because they throw a greater variety of challenges at the player.

Autumn Heights is definitely my favorite world. So many fantastic levels.

Going through the game again on hard and taking in more details I've actually noticed that many of the stages can be broken into three separate phases. It's not always the case, but it adds to the almost story like progression of these levels. Simply amazing.

Kinsei

Banned
Hey Xtortionist and Kinsei, Alpine Incline is a great stage and all, but I'm surprised you two picked it over Horn Top Hop or my pick, Windmill Hills. Again, Alpine Incline is a GREAT stage -- but I think it's a shade less than the others, just because the
... Although again, it feels odd to even offer such "criticisms," because it is a GREAT stage. :)

I think the two criticisms you have really added to the level and pushed it slightly above the others. That being said, both Windmill Hills and Horn Top Hop are amazing levels and I could see why someone would choose one of them as their favorite level of the island.

I think Alpine Incline possibly has the best "narrative" progression of any stage in the game. Starting out in the mountain range with that ethereal music, launching to an armada of balloon platforms that can be seen throughout the first section, then catapulting into the clouds where both the stage dynamic and atmosphere change completely, but in a natural way. And it leads perfectly into Wing Ding. It's sublime.

But I said I was highly indecisive about world 2 for a reason. It's stacked as SHIT. Windmill Hills and Wing Ding are my absurdly close runner ups.

Neiteio

I think the two criticisms you have really added to the level and pushed it slightly above the others. That being said, both Windmill Hills and Horn Top Hop are amazing levels and I could see why someone would choose one of them as their favorite level of the island.
Yeah, just to be clear, again, I -love- Alpine Incline. So it feels weird to try and identify shortcomings in it compared to Windmill Hills and Horn Top Hop. Man, picking "favorites" in this game is brutal... All of the stages are so good. :-O

jnWake

Going through the game again on hard and taking in more details I've actually noticed that many of the stages can be broken into three separate phases. It's not always the case, but it adds to the almost story like progression of these levels. Simply amazing.

Yeah, most levels follow the pattern of showing you a hazard or new idea and then progressively making it more complex. The ending section of Amiss Abyss is a good example of that.

Top Bottom