• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga

KarishBHR

I hear this game is supposed to be good, like really addicting. I tried looking for the demo kiosks in my area but none of them had updated since Custom Robo (anyone else experiance this?). Someone gimme some impressions of this game

BuddyC

Amazingly enough, I've been playing my import copy all weekend while Pikmin 2 just kinda sits there and cries.

It's kinda easy (even on hard) but hey, it's a blast.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Its simple, its fucking fun. I love it.
What stores did you check? Cause even places like TRU are getting the kiosks.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
It's a fun game, yes. One of the few must have titles for the Gamecube this year, I'd say (That may be pushing it, though...). I just hope Nintendo makes more use out of the Bongos than just Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't really want to buy it, but I know I'll NEED to buy it cause I want to play Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and the value of the congos plus Donkey Konga for $50 is better than if I just bought the congos seperately

Fry's please sell this game at $34.99

I have spent about 5 hours playing the kiosk demo alone over 2 days at my local TRU. I couldn't get enough of it at E3. I've seen lots of comments from people online that they are not interested in Konga just because its a music game, or they think its stupid you have to play with the bongos. But then after they try it, they love it. The only problem I have with it is that the bongos are set too low. They have warnings on there about wrist and arms soreness, and they aren't lying.

I went and reserved my copy last night, can't wait to be able to play this more comfortably.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The only reason why I'm not too interested in Konga is that everyone says the game is easy. I like music games but not when they're easy...I think all my music/rhythm games that I own have some insane difficulty in them at least. Gitaroo Man master play... :wariocry

TheDiave

Banned
It rocks, that's all you need to know... I must've looked like a total jackass playing it at EB the other day - clapping and tapping the drums - but it has secured itself a presale.

AniHawk

The only reason why I'm not too interested in Konga is that everyone says the game is easy. I like music games but not when they're easy...I think all my music/rhythm games that I own have some insane difficulty in them at least. Gitaroo Man master play... :wariocry

"Rock this Town" was easy even as a beginner (got the hang of it on the second try), but I played the hell out of it at E3 and loved trying to perfect my skills over the previous play.

Everyone should pick up Taiko: Drum Master if they like Donkey Konga.

Wario64 said:

Try All The Small Things on the 2nd difficulty (ape i think) in the store. I think its one of the hardest ones avilaable in the demo.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
it's unfortunate that donkey konga is, for the most part, a complete cakewalk. i've yet to encounter a song on donkey konga 1 or 2 that has given me trouble for more than a few run throughts. i don't expect to have any problems on the US version, either. however, the advantage to this aspect is that ANYONE can play the game and have fun - even a 4 year old. i've seen it happen. i've seen a 4 year old pass songs on donkey konga.

hopefully taiko is a bit more challenging. even if the US version isn't, there are all sorts of import releases just waiting to be conquered.

Vargas

I saw the kongas at my local Gamestop today but could not play the demo. It just kept looping a Pikmin 2 movie. Maybe they just haven't installed the actual disc yet?

kiryogi

Banned
Vargas said:
I saw the kongas at my local Gamestop today but could not play the demo. It just kept looping a Pikmin 2 movie. Maybe they just haven't installed the actual disc yet?
Forget not the victimized employees :D

Calibur

I totally loved Donkey Konga at Game Stars Live, I was totally thinking of putting this game at my bottom of to buy list. But this game rocked hard, never thought hitting dots, stars and lines in Rhythm could be so fun........ 4-player too.

P.S Metroid Prime 2: Echoes multiplayer was interesting could be hot if the rest of maps are good, never saw TimeSplitters: FP
P.SS is there going to be Game Stars Live Babes Thread. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Traumahound said:
You can try Nintendo's Donkey Konga demo kiosk locator to see if there's one near you.

Hah, a kiosk locator...how about that. I have 5 kiosks in a 1.5 mile radius, crazy

Distance Location
0.9 miles ELECTRONICS BOUTIQUE #0109
200 OAKRIDGE MALL # U-9
SAN JOSE CA 95123

0.9 miles SOFTWARE ETC #1068
105 OAKRIDGE MALL
SAN JOSE CA 95123

1.3 miles FUNCO #0698
966 BLOSSOM HILL RD
SAN JOSE CA 95123

1.3 miles TOYS R US, INC. #5818
1082 BLOSSOM HILL RD
SAN JOSE CA 95123

1.5 miles CIRCUIT CITY STORES #0230
5353 ALMADEN EXPY
SAN JOSE CA 95118

AniHawk

3.8 miles TOYS R US, INC. #5604
1261 N AZUSA AVE

3.9 miles GAMESTOP #2376
984 E BADILLO ST STE C

4.8 miles CIRCUIT CITY STORES #0420
2851 E EASTLAND CTR DR
WEST COVINA

8.3 miles TOYS R US, INC. #5655
660 W HUNTINGTON DR
MONROVIA

9.2 miles GAMESTOP #2214
157 FOOTHILL BLVD
ARCADIA

10.1 miles ELECTRONICS BOUTIQUE #0288
400 S BALDWIN AVE STE 108L
ARCADIA

10.2 miles CIRCUIT CITY STORES #3301
1600 S AZUSA AVE
CITY OF INDUSTRY

10.2 miles TOYS R US, INC. #5614
17961 GALE AVE
CITY OF INDUSTRY

10.4 miles GAMESTOP #2471
11912 VALLEY BLVD STE C
EL MONTE

10.6 miles BABBAGES ETC #0189
5116 N MONTCLAIR PLAZA LN

The closest one is 15 minutes away.

BuddyC

1.2 miles CIRCUIT CITY STORES #3729
3500 NORTH MORRISON ROAD
MUNCIE IN 47304

1.2 miles TOYS R US, INC. #8936
3400 N MORRISON RD
MUNCIE IN 47304

1.5 miles GAMESTOP #1864
3501 N GRANVILLE AVE SPC L07C
MUNCIE IN 47303
Yea, I love my new apartment.

impirius

Now all I need is a map with which to triangulate your locations, and I can finally have my revenge once and for all

AeroGod

impirius said:
Now all I need is a map with which to triangulate your locations, and I can finally have my revenge once and for all

i was thinking the same thing lol. I bet you could get AniHawks location down to a block. :lol Pretty funny.

Yes the game is easy though. There is a pretty big margin of error if you arnt dead on with your beats and claps I think, plus its there are only like 4 different choices. Bongo 1,2 , both, and clap...so its not totally varied. Its alot easier too becasue the bongos in general are just really easy to use as compared to like a dance pad for like DDR. The demo kiosk was pretty cool though, I originally thought it was dumb idea but I actually had a bit of fun with it to my surprise. I wouldnt buy it though, not something I could see my myself playing alot.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i still dont like how the drums dont dissapear in the US version...

and im loving the upgrades they made to the 2p in vol 2... the roulette, and the rock paper scissors... good stuff.

still working on unlocking more expert songs in vol 2.

SAY WHAT? BOBOBO!

Sysgen

TheDiave said:
It rocks, that's all you need to know... I must've looked like a total jackass playing it at EB the other day - clapping and tapping the drums - but it has secured itself a presale.

I don't have the balls to play it in public :) I would look like a total goof.

AeroGod

I wouldnt say its the most unqie game ever, not by a long shot. It pretty basic, nothing amazing about it. Its just another music game. Whats the flavor of the month?

Nintendo Exec1: Hmm, lets make a music game!

Exec 2: Great idea. But how can we tie it in with a popular Nintendo franchise to increase sales?

Exec 1: Donkey Kong BONGO GAME!

Exec 2's eyes turn into dollar signs

AniHawk

AeroGod said:
I wouldnt say its the most unqie game ever, not by a long shot. It pretty basic, nothing amazing about it. Its just another music game. Whats the flavor of the month?

Nintendo Exec1: Hmm, lets make a music game!

Exec 2: Great idea. But how can we tie it in with a popular Nintendo franchise to increase sales?

Exec 1: Donkey Kong BONGO GAME!

Exec 2's eyes turn into dollar signs

(I was hoping someone would respond with "no" in caps so I could do a Daily Show reference)

cvxfreak

I think the concept of a Donkey Kong music game was a huge fluke. Kong can be renamed Konga, and Donkey Kong's drumming of his hands is also a big contributor.

Mairu

eXxy said:
it's unfortunate that donkey konga is, for the most part, a complete cakewalk. i've yet to encounter a song on donkey konga 1 or 2 that has given me trouble for more than a few run throughts. i don't expect to have any problems on the US version, either. however, the advantage to this aspect is that ANYONE can play the game and have fun - even a 4 year old. i've seen it happen. i've seen a 4 year old pass songs on donkey konga.

hopefully taiko is a bit more challenging. even if the US version isn't, there are all sorts of import releases just waiting to be conquered.
I agree. Donkey Konga is fun for awhile, but I got tired of it quickly because there's basically no challenge.

I'll definitely get Jungle Beat when it comes out though, and I'll get Taiko US because it has Katamari on the Rock

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can't decide whether to buy konga or taiko. taiko's visuals and presentation are much more appealing. and it's got katamari on the rock and ridge racer. but the bongos just seem like more fun than the taiko drums, and i might want to play jungle beat at some point. i suppose i could buy both, but i really don't need the clutter.

drohne: I'm facing the same conundrum. I've decided on this: buy both, but Taiko first. And order it as soon as the US version becomes available. Namco needs positive reinforcement for their surprising run of taste of late.

(Katamari, Taiko AND Nightmare of Druaga? They must be high.)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, i guess i should support namco in publishing stuff like katamari and taiko instead of...i dunno...dead to rights or something. i'm still kind of pissed that they passed on klonoa g2, but owning the import mitigates that somewhat.

BuddyC

aoi tsuki said:
Anyone know if the game plays in progressive scan or widescreen?
I know the import supported prog scan. As for widescreen, the pics I have from E3 show the menus supporting widescreen.

Do you mean the second Klonoa GBA game? If so, that's because according to Namco, that "carts are too risky" to release...

Maybe they'll relent... We can only hope.

Wario64 said:
Hah, a kiosk locator...how about that. I have 5 kiosks in a 1.5 mile radius, crazy

Distance Location
0.9 miles ELECTRONICS BOUTIQUE #0109
200 OAKRIDGE MALL # U-9
SAN JOSE CA 95123

0.9 miles SOFTWARE ETC #1068
105 OAKRIDGE MALL
SAN JOSE CA 95123

1.3 miles FUNCO #0698
966 BLOSSOM HILL RD
SAN JOSE CA 95123

1.3 miles TOYS R US, INC. #5818
1082 BLOSSOM HILL RD
SAN JOSE CA 95123

1.5 miles CIRCUIT CITY STORES #0230
5353 ALMADEN EXPY
SAN JOSE CA 95118

When I went in to reserve my game at Gamestop (listed as Funco in there) the store employees said that they were shipped the kiosk displays, but were missing the disc. So they have the kongas all setup, with the previous demo disc in it. I know TRU has it, thats where I've spent about 5 hours in 2 days last week. I'll prob stop by the stores in Oakridge later this week when I go in there.

Boogie9IGN

Robert-GCA said:
I'll prob stop by the stores in Oakridge later this week when I go in there.

The EB def has it, and it's tucked away in the corner so you don't get looked at as easily by other people!

P.S. Software Etc at Oakridge is full of tools, at least EB usually has at least 1 chick workin the register, which rawks

Top Bottom