• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

Jharp

Holy fuck this game is fun

So I'm on Day 7 of my third game. First game I died that night (zero days) and the second game I died when I made the mistake of attacking a bee hive with my axe.

I'm very slowly trying to build a fort or base of some sort. I have some hay walls up, a science machine, a Winterometer, and a chest, but I need to get some good food production going. What's a good way to go about this? The farm looks easy to build, but I've yet to find any manure.

I'm really enjoying learning this game as I go. Makes it way WAY more fun. I don't think I'd be enjoying it nearly as much if I knew everything and what everything did. Currently rocking a wood suit with a spear. Does the spear make it any easier to kill birds/rodents? Because I can never get those fuckers. I set out a trap near some rabbit holes, but have yet to catch anything. I assume I need to leave out bait near it.

Ferrio

Banned
Holy fuck this game is fun

So I'm on Day 7 of my third game. First game I died that night (zero days) and the second game I died when I made the mistake of attacking a bee hive with my axe.

I'm very slowly trying to build a fort or base of some sort. I have some hay walls up, a science machine, a Winterometer, and a chest, but I need to get some good food production going. What's a good way to go about this? The farm looks easy to build, but I've yet to find any manure.

Should be able to find manure in
the grassland type biome
. As for food, I've found farms work really well.. trouble is keeping the food from spoiling. I can make alot of it... it just doesn't last long. I have yet to find a gear to make a fridge. Also for the rabbits..
you don't have to use bait (though you can) to catch them. Just place the trap right over the hole

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Before one of the best recent updates, you could just stand in front of the rabbit's hole and kill him as he runs towards it. Too bad they updated them to be a little smarter, I miss those easy meals.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I played this back in December. Is there a good summary of major changes?

Kind of thinking of jumping back, but also I got a bit bored dying on day 6 or 8 or whatever, and then having to start over again. Almost had a Terraria kick for me, but the rogue-like qualities back then disincentivized me getting too attached.
There's the update posters. Linking them so no one gets spoiled.

Jan 8th: http://i.imgur.com/T1EwiKs.jpg
You use a pitch fork now instead of the shovel.
Jan 15th: http://i.imgur.com/sJvHca6.jpg
Jan 29th: http://i.imgur.com/aTwuxDC.jpg
Feb 12th: http://i.imgur.com/KdtVQss.jpg
Feb 26th: http://i.imgur.com/FwUJLYe.jpg
March 12th: http://i.imgur.com/s7i7eNE.jpg
March 26th: http://i.imgur.com/AORu7st.jpg
April 5th: http://i.imgur.com/ssJKS02.jpg

Jharp

Should be able to find manure in
the grassland type biome
. As for food, I've found farms work really well.. trouble is keeping the food from spoiling. I can make alot of it... it just doesn't last long. I have yet to find a gear to make a fridge. Also for the rabbits..
you don't have to use bait (though you can) to catch them. Just place the trap right over the hole

Aha! I was placing the trap near holes, but I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the tips, bro.

Ilive1up

i found some adventure mode thing, doing that now.

before finding that though, i'm having trouble of really understanding what to exactly do. i've just been collecting berries and carrots and just waiting 'till night time and then repeating. i made it until day 10 but then decided to kill some spiders and died. i'm guessing becoming self sufficient is the main goal?

Killthee

i found some adventure mode thing, doing that now.

before finding that though, i'm having trouble of really understanding what to exactly do. i've just been collecting berries and carrots and just waiting 'till night time and then repeating. i made it until day 10 but then decided to kill some spiders and died. i'm guessing becoming self sufficient is the main goal?
Pretty much. If you get bored you can
jump into the Adventure Mode portal or you can build a teleportato to jump to a new map.

Jharp

Is the browser version fully featured? I'd like to get that to keep it cross-platform.

I believe the Steam version supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.

I'd love an iPad version of this. Would be fucking baller.

Any tips for dealing with insanity? My guy is going fucking nuts and
rabbits are now all fucked up looking and shadowy, and instead of making meat when killed, they become Nightmare Fuel.
I'm so fucking happy I dealt with the spider nest near my base, because those bastards must be horrific when insane.

Also, does the game end when you reach the end of the sanity meter?

Deband

Killthee or someone else knowledgeable, I have a question.

I seem to have a small shadowy figure following me. I'm scared, but it has yet to attack me. Any ideas?

Killthee

Killthee or someone else knowledgeable, I have a question.

I seem to have a small shadowy figure following me. I'm scared, but it has yet to attack me. Any ideas?
You'll start seeing shadows as your sanity drops. If it starts to get low they'll start to do damage on you. If it completely tanks, you can start to do damage on them.

To raise it:
Sleep in a tent or straw roll (be aware you'll be hungry when you wake up), build a prototype, wear a top hat or a vest, or feed a pig some meat and stay very close to him. You can also pick flowers, but they spawn butterflies and help bees make honey so it's best not to pick them all. Do not pick up evil flowers or stay near them, they will deplete your sanity really fast.

Ferrio

Banned
Got to 30 days.

I was self sufficient, making it through winter fine. I had a piggie friend following me everywhere, so I wasn't scared of any monsters. Then I got bumrushed by 3 of those hound things. Unfortunately my pig friend had just died seconds earlier to some beefalos in mating season, and I was screwed :(.

elfinke

Tremendous game, as others have noted, it gives me a real Terraria rush at times. It's a wonderful looking game, too. Only have a half day at work today then it is the weekend - I intend to give this game a stack of time (gotta finish Mark of the Ninja first, though).

Hearing that my steam key is also a chrome key... Oh boy, I'm afraid to take that key to work with me. That'd would be the end of productivity.

Carm

InB9jbi.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...comment_id=1338289&offset=0&total_comments=28

It worked for me when I launched TF2 and browsed my inventory. Contact them and see what they say.

Small update: I emailed them again today and finally got a response. Of course they said I had to contact Steam support so now I get to do that dance. I'm sure Steam support will say they can't do anything about it, then Ill have to go about getting a refund through their store or paypal.

Lanbeast

Man, I'm really kicking ass in my most recent game but the game just crashed on me for the 5th time in a row. Can't finish a full day and it's getting really frustrating.

Ilive1up

i'm at day 10, have a science machine and alchemy machine. two farm plots (the faster one) and a ton of rabbit traps close by. i'm doing ok on food and there are some of those beefalo things close by, so i have a steady supply of manure. i think i'm doing it right.

Killthee

Small update: I emailed them again today and finally got a response. Of course they said I had to contact Steam support so now I get to do that dance. I'm sure Steam support will say they can't do anything about it, then Ill have to go about getting a refund through their store or paypal.
Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

beastmode

skype chat from just a minute ago:

[1:27:57 AM] me: which mushrooms heal
[1:27:59 AM] me: red or green
[1:28:16 AM] him: both
[1:28:43 AM] me: FUCK YOU
[1:28:46 AM] me: I ATE RED
[1:28:50 AM] him: LOL\
[1:28:50 AM] me: IT KILLED ME
[1:28:53 AM] him: LPOL!!!!1
[1:28:54 AM] me: YOU MOTHER FUCKER
[1:28:54 AM] him: 132%!KJOTPGDJSH:
[1:28:55 AM] him: A:FJS
[1:28:56 AM] him: ASFJIAL:FJs
[1:28:57 AM] me: DIE
[1:29:02 AM] him: AAAAAHAH
[1:29:12 AM] him: Ok now we know red=bad
[1:29:22 AM] me: i-i-i-i--iiiiii------
[1:29:33 AM] me: *self-inflicting gunshot wound*

I'm on day 50 right now with 1 death but
I found another altar so I'm good for another one
. Have a lot of farm plots and just returned with my stick/straw expedition so I'm working on fertilizing a huge pack of both. Next order of business will be relocating a far away pig village close to my home so I can start venturing out and killing swamp stuff
(only made a quick trip in to get a tentacle spike)
. Running low on spider webs but my swamp extermination mission should net me a couple. Also need to collect more seeds because
they were vital in me surviving winter (bird traps!)

Really happy right now because I survived my first winter and am still going strong. Have over 50% of another breezy jacket to last me another winter, but I'm planning on
hunting down another koalefant for more trunks and meat

Spoilers are just in case.. Don't really feel like there is much to spoil in this game but better safe than sorry.

Yes. You can get fucked at almost any point. Game is brutal, but I love that about it.

The speed at which a good run turns sour is incredible in this game.

Yeah. Even if you're prepared the game can suddenly just kick your ass. Earlier today I was scrounging up supplies and set up a camp for the night. Started raining, hounds started to come after me, and I only brought 2 torches with me. Tried to run over to some beefalos to get the hounds off of me but they weren't interested so I got killed because I didn't have enough supplies to make another torch to last through the night.

Daingurse

Yeah. Even if you're prepared the game can suddenly just kick your ass. Earlier today I was scrounging up supplies and set up a camp for the night. Started raining, hounds started to come after me, and I only brought 2 torches with me. Tried to run over to some beefalos to get the hounds off of me but they weren't interested so I got killed because I didn't have enough supplies to make another torch to last through the night.

What I love, is no matter what you're doing you are always at risk to dying either through starvation, madness, HP or the darkness. I once thought I was the shit, but my inventory was full and Night fell, pitch black, can't find my torch...boom dead. haha

Ferrio

Banned
i'm at day 10, have a science machine and alchemy machine. two farm plots (the faster one) and a ton of rabbit traps close by. i'm doing ok on food and there are some of those beefalo things close by, so i have a steady supply of manure. i think i'm doing it right.

The bum rush come soon.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Picked this up the other day, and it's already having a negative impact on my sleep. I'm gonna be a zombie before long. >_< Really liking it. I'm finally getting a handle on using traps too, which is nice. ^_^

Ilive1up

The bum rush come soon.

yup. it did, but i had a walking cane so i was able to out run them and made it back to base camp. on day 17 now. have a lot of trees growing close, and saplings/grass close by. built a lightning rod just in case. doing good...for now.

Ilive1up

also, who thinks that this game would benefit at least an in-game check list or something. i know the creator doesn't want achievements, but having a list of things i have done/completed would make me feel a bit better.

maybe a even just a history of past games, how far you got, etc.

just a thought.

Jintor

can I assign tools/items to dedicated slots now? Fishing around in my bag for tools I can't quite see properly while getting bumrushed by hounds wasn't my idea of fun

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Unlocked Willow and the Strong Man. I like walking into big forests at night with Willow and just wait for her to do her thing. Oh, the madness that ensues. Especially if there's spiders around. =D

I just had my first run end real suddenly and now I'm sad.

I fought crazy pig men and monster wolves but I was killed by one of those buffalo while collecting manure for a farm. We lived together peacefully for 10 days! I trusted them damn it.

Ferrio

Banned
I just had my first run end real suddenly and now I'm sad.

I fought crazy pig men and monster wolves but I was killed by one of those buffalo while collecting manure for a farm. We lived together peacefully for 10 days! I trusted them damn it.

Mating season is dangerous.

This game is great. I bought it several months ago back when spiders ran everything and surviving the neverending expansion of spiders was impossible. Everything they've added is great. Just know that if you play it you will end up with several incredible runs ruined for some reason or other. You also won't know what will ruin the run untill it happens. It's sort of a progressive planning system where you build a base get it wrecked due to something and then take measures to prevent it from occuring in the future. I'd compile a list of the things that have killed me so far but I'm fairly sure it'd include everything currently in the game :D.

I hate to be that guy, but has there been any talk of co-op? I'd love to play this with my wife. It would be so fun to divide and conquer and then regrouping to divide the spoils and build a fortress.

Ok after three world spawns of three days each with no Beefalos I started a new world and ran across an entire isolated island filled with nothing but Beefalos. The only way to access this island was via a single bridge and seemed like a great place to call home. Rocks were a hassle to find, though. That icebox and winterometer was a random spawn that was so too-good-to-be-true that I didn't touch it for a long time fearing a trap.

Plan is to try to make a dent in those beehives and start some of my own. Maybe hit the rock biome again when I need some more rocks and am looking for a fight with all those spiders.

Oh a quick tip for all that play, catch your boomerang. The most infuriating death so far was when I finally managed to clear a world of spiders only to fall to experimentation with the boomerang. It will kill you if you don't catch it and are low on health.

Dipper145

I got to day like 24 and had a decent base set up, and decided to go exploring, found some cool stuff I didn't know existed that I got excited about. Unfortunately, I was not aware of winter. I pretty much immediately died when it came, and was not happy. Anything I should do to combat the effects of that season in the future?

NBtoaster

Lasted 20 days, but was slowly going insane and got surprised by something in a swamp, and was finished off by 'regular' monsters. Had a shortage of gold and never made an alchemy engine so I couldn't combat insanity.

fresquito

Finally I've gotten this. Two games, two early deaths. First game I was killed by a giant tree. I was cutting trees down for the night was near and had not enough logs, when a giant tree raised above and started pursuing me. I ran for my life, but he catched me, since my fire was nearby. I tried to fight him and keep the fire alive at the same time. We both, the fire and me, died.

The second game I died because I was too greedy (and desperate). The place where I was was quite desertic, not many animals, nor many plants either. So four days in, I started to starve a little bit. I was off on an expedition to find food. I wasnt very lucky, but enough to survive the next day and half, probably. On my way back home, afternoon kicking in, my belly was aching. I found these frogs and said: Okay, I think I can kill them with my spear and grill them. Turns out I couldn't kill them :-(

Very interesting game, to say the least.

In my third run, I'm on day 27 and I haven't been capable of finding beefalos or pigs yet. How long is the winter?

Between 10-15 days I think. Not sure on the exact length.

I got to day like 24 and had a decent base set up, and decided to go exploring, found some cool stuff I didn't know existed that I got excited about. Unfortunately, I was not aware of winter. I pretty much immediately died when it came, and was not happy. Anything I should do to combat the effects of that season in the future?

Make a heating stone and start carrying around with you at day 20 or so and make some warm clothing in preparation for winter.

Killthee

can I assign tools/items to dedicated slots now? Fishing around in my bag for tools I can't quite see properly while getting bumrushed by hounds wasn't my idea of fun
Nope, they still go to the first open slot when you unequip.

I hate to be that guy, but has there been any talk of co-op? I'd love to play this with my wife. It would be so fun to divide and conquer and then regrouping to divide the spoils and build a fortress.

Devs have said adding multiplayer at this point would require too much time and would impact their plans for the single player so they're not gonna bother adding it in.

Let your beard grow (Note your sanity will drop faster).
Make a beefalo hat by shaving them at night and killing 1 for the horn.
Make a vest if you can find and kill a Koalefant.
Plant a forest nearby your camp and always have enough logs on you to start a camp fire when you start to freeze.
Also have a renewable food source (pig house, rabbit holes, large beefalo herd) near your camp so you don't starve.
- How many save slots there are in the game?
- Are save files based on flash (Super Meat Boy like)?

Thanks.

There's 4 slots.
No idea what the save files use. FWIW, I believe the game is programmed on Lua.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Played a little more today, went from day 5 to day 12 or 13. Found a bunch of pig houses so I'm going to hang around there for the most part. Only one night worried me, it was when a couple dogs/wolves came out of nowhere and started attacking me, but thankfully some spiders came too and they killed each other :p

Top Bottom