• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 1 + 2 on Steam (and NS/Xbox/PS) has been upgraded with new re-release

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Trophies are the same as before. Same Bethesda.net login that people threw fits over before.

I had to login with the old version, not with this edition?

Played on the Ally X. Stunning. The new soundtrack is phenomenal! I must ask, how does 1 get rid of the aiming cursor in the middle of the screen? Whatever you do, get this package. Shows that no matter how much graphics have improved, gameplay will ALWAYS remain king and nothing will ever conquer the mighty Doom. So far, this is my game of the year! And I really don't see anything coming close.

Crosshair is under gameplay options, set it to 0.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I had to login with the old version, not with this edition?

You never HAD to login (but it gave you access to the DLC). If you're logged in with the old version or your accounts are connected you're automatically logged in. The login is right there on the main menu and people threw an epic fit over it last time and they're ignoring it because they just repackaged the two games.

DryvBy

I was doing crossplay with my PS5 last night and the PS5 was running much better than my PC. I can't tell if its the framerate (my cheap monitors cap at 60 and my TV is 120hz). It was hard to go back to the PC this morning.

Romulus

Played it last night and I'm enjoying the new episode! Good music and level design.

Lol at the SNES version. That was actually one of the more impressive/crazy ports I've ever played. There are certain levels with the lighting effects that look impressive and unique. Overall it's ugly but it had no right running on that hardware, add on chip or not. Especially with one developer doing all the work.

Edit wtf, they are doing this for real with the original snes developer

Last edited:

Švejk

Banned
Weird how they combined them into one, separate package, but still awesome they put some love into such an old classic... shockingly free for that matter, being under M$'s wing.

My son is a massive Doom fan, so this totally made his day... Of course, being pro PS, it sucks that it requires PS+ for online play.. Going to have to get him a sub too possibly just for this. Fuck you, Sony.

peek

Probably a shot in the dark, cuz I doubt any other nerds like me did this too...

But uh, is this new version better than the doom 1+2 version 1.04? I purposely downgraded to 1.04 for ps5 because the resolution got absolutely fucked up in their latest version 1.09(?) forgot the actual number.

Debating whether its worth going past 1.04 now. That state was the absolute best these ports were for ps4/5.

thatJohann

Looks and runs great on PS5 in 120Hz.

So far:
  • increased FOV to 80
  • Made the UI scale to 11 so it removes the border in the bottom by switching to the minimal HUD and runs full screen so you can see more of the weapons and world
  • Increased overall brightness to 50 (from 40). 50 seems like it should be the default since slider goes from 0 to 100.

MikeM

Gold Member
Looks and runs great on PS5 in 120Hz.

So far:
  • increased FOV to 80
  • Made the UI scale to 11 so it removes the border in the bottom by switching to the minimal HUD and runs full screen so you can see more of the weapons and world
  • Increased overall brightness to 50 (from 40). 50 seems like it should be the default since slider goes from 0 to 100.
Game is such a massive upgrade all around. Been really enjoying blasting through this again.

Krathoon

Gold Member
A new version of Doom 1 and 2 has been released. It looks like it has all the expansions and community mods.

Also, it has a new single player episode and remastered soundtrack.

Also, updated multiplayer support.

You get it for free if you own them on gog and Steam.
Downloading it now.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
You know. The Neogaf search engine kind of sucks. I looked around before I posted and that did not show up.

emivita

Played Doom I & II a couple of month ago and...

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
No jump and mouselook options? Strange. I know you don't need them but it's simple comfort toggles for modern audience.

Otherwise it's a great update. Really digging the new remix tracks by Andrew Hulshult.

there was a game, not too long ago, that included doom1 and 2 as standalone executables.
doom eternal maybe?

they have 4k support and other modernizations.
still have them installed.

fun to see doom still getting all this attention.
great games.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Hiya, DoomWiki editor here:
The new release of Doom is hugely exciting for the fans, and here's why:
  • ID Vault: Here is a lot more material than even John Romero's 2015 release didn't cover!
  • New standards: After ''Vanilla'' Doom, the community throughout the years has expanded the technology to do more and more. More enemies. Bigger levels. After Boom, MBF (Marine's Best Friend) and MBF21 (Modder's Best Friend) we now have ID24. Yes. A completely officially sanctioned modding standard by Ethan Watson, who has also worked for Housemarque.
  • Mod browser allows you to play custom content on PC AND Console. It is a Wild West (Meaning: A lot of the uploads aren't exactly within the rules) but hey its there. All the community's top works are now playable on PC and consoles
  • The Wiki is actively developing as we speak. Details will soon follow but read up on the news: ID24, Legacy Of Rust, Doom I + II

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I checked my Switch version of Doom 2 and it didn't have an update. All the mods are there (like Sigil 1&2 and other episode packs. But I didn't see the new Legacy of Rust. Is this coming to Switch?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Play this on PC game pass and was a little disappointed that you couldn't change controls to look up and down.

Quake was awesome and overall a more fun game for me than this release.

Doczu

I checked my Switch version of Doom 2 and it didn't have an update. All the mods are there (like Sigil 1&2 and other episode packs. But I didn't see the new Legacy of Rust. Is this coming to Switch?
You need both Doom 1 and 2 to get the free update (or buy it standalone). The new episode is exclusive to the new release

BigLee74

I’ve just had my first MP game of doom since 1995 in my university’s Silicon Graphics lab.

Memories!

Plays like absolute shit now, but it was the best thing ever back then!

ZehDon

Just smashed through Knee Deep in the Dead and yeah, the Unity stuff was fine, but this right here is the real deal.

It plays super well with all the bells and whistles, but I love that I can gut it and turn it all back to the original, too. That new soundtrack goes fucking hard, the id Vault content is top tier, and just like with the Quake and Quake 2 remasters, I'm gonna grab every achievement. The Plutonia Experiment one is gonna sting, but fuck it - any excuse for more DOOM.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Been having a ton of fun with this new release. Lots of stuff to tweak in various settings.

My only likely unpopular opinion is that the more I play it, the more the new soundtrack just doesn’t hit the melodies and just devolve into random metal riffing noise. Turning the original midi soundtracks back on confirms that for me as I once again happily hum along to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom