• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 1 + 2 on Steam (and NS/Xbox/PS) has been upgraded with new re-release

Curiously today the game seems to have a lot more options including ultrawide and improved textures etc. not to mention a plethora of mods (still not Project Brutality :( )

Doczu

Guys how do you run mods on PS4? I downloaded some (Aliens TC! Yes!!) load it up and every time i stsrt it i just get booted to e1m1 😐

Edit: ok so not all mods work. I tried zombies! and that one started fine. Man i want my Army of Darkness and Aliens fix...

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
nsafPUl.jpeg
i cheated to get myself to the fun Wolf3d world and just who tf is this on the wall??
Oh him? That's no one. Ignore history

Nothing to see here.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You need both Doom 1 and 2 to get the free update (or buy it standalone). The new episode is exclusive to the new release
I actually had to search in the store for it and there it said it was a free download, since I owned Doom 2 (I have both but I think you need to own only one digitally).

IAmRei

i guess the trend for these years would be boomer shooter and beat em up, i saw they are also rising in indies... interesting

Rayderism

It let me add them to my library for free on the PS app. So yay for that. Too bad I'm among those affected by the nasty storm in NE Ohio and have had no power since Tuesday. Likely won't get it back until this Wednesday.

Doom is the just about the only FPS game I actually like.

Fake

Gold Member
We can expect John from DF to look after this. Anyone with NS care to tell if run any good?

The PS4 runs flawless.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I bought Doom 2 for the PS5 in the PSN sale for around £2 ages ago.

Now I'm getting a ton of additional content, including Doom 1 for absolutely no extra charge.

Pinch me, because I must be dreaming!

nsafPUl.jpeg
i cheated to get myself to the fun Wolf3d world and just who tf is this on the wall??

Removing historically accurate depictions due to...what exactly? Even back then it was "offensive". Swastikas were never cool, it was always a frowned upon symbol but we never removed it from media because its culturally relevant and part of our history. How does a Swastika get so piled on but lets say a Pentagram...a demonic symbol that should offend anyone religious, stay the same? And the mustache lol....just WHY??? Skibidi tilet is more offensive than this.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mario "inspired" Commander Keen, it has nothing to do with Catacombs 3D, Wolfenstein 3D or Doom
Yeah but if remember Nintendo would t let them port Mario to pc so they said fuck it and made wolf then doom.

Either way doom is up there as one of the best and influential games ever. Quake as well. I love id from back in the day. Great stuff

Doczu

For final clarification: does this game require Bethesda login? If it is optional, what does it provide?
Optional unless you want mods.

And is it just me or is something wrong with the bethesda.net auto login in the ps4 version? I need to sign in manualy every time i launch the game and everytime i am greeted with an error message in the bethesda menu 🤔

DryvBy

I looked into the Wolfenstein censorship, and apparently it's something that started with the BFG edition's releases.

Wiki page: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP31:_Wolfenstein_(Doom_II)#Censorship
Fix that also gives some possible insight into why: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=53776&

The thread does mention compatibility issues, and I don't know where this new version of Doom falls on that scale.
Good find. I don't know why we have to tip toe around shooting Nazis in video games.

Fake

Gold Member
I don't quite understand whats going on in wolfeinstein maps.

You don't get any trophy to reach or beat those two secret maps, they replace the nazi icons for not offend the real nazis I suppouse?

Is totally mess up. Are we getting at this point?

Poppyseed

This is superb. Of course 1080p/120fps locked at silent profile on the Ally X. It’s like playing Doom for the first time again, with the widescreen support. Fantastic.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For the switch I can’t see any custom mods or maps only the official ones. I hope they open it up.

Sledge

Neo Member
This looks buggy to me -- seems like imps, pinkies and maybe others (only seen those two so far) can hop down from ledge heights they are not supposed to. Nice music, though.

BigLee74

Pretty sure there is a bug with berserk in that after the visual effect wears off, you can still punch things dead in one go.

Or maybe it’s just me because I’m hard as nails?

Top Bottom