• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 1 + 2 on Steam (and NS/Xbox/PS) has been upgraded with new re-release

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Would have been very nifty to have ultrawide

Played Chrono Trigger ultrawide past weeks, couldn't believe how well it holds up.

Kacho

Gold Member
Can I ask, how in the hell did you get that on PC?

It’s AMAZING. Worth the effort.

Needlecrash

Had to check if I had this on my Steam account. And....I do! For those that own it, There is a 767mb update for those who owns Doom 1 and 2 on Steam.

MacReady13

It’s AMAZING. Worth the effort.
Oh believe you me- I know how awesome this game is! It (along with Final Doom) where 2 of my favs on my PS1. The updated lighting and sound effects plus amazing new music was phenomenal!

Thanks for this!

Tazzu

Quick question. Playing Doom 1 on Hard is a lot of fun but I keep running out of ammo. First act was fine but I am really struggling the second. Any tips?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
What is it? What type of tunes?

Rocking Out Heavy Metal GIF

DryvBy

Quick question. Playing Doom 1 on Hard is a lot of fun but I keep running out of ammo. First act was fine but I am really struggling the second. Any tips?
Use punch on a lot of enemies that you can strafe around. This will help speed you up around the game too.

Hey, better add SNES to the thread title lol
But in all seriousness they said this will have "Performance Improvements" and Rumble support?!?!
Not sure how they are making the cart considering the original uses the Super FX2 chip. Only thing I can think of is its using an FPGA on the cartridge which would make this VERY expensive.

xgPqhoe.jpeg

sqHAosN.jpeg

Futaleufu

Tips for ultra violence:
Regular shotgun should be your main weapon against regular size enemies, dont spam super shotgun in Doom 2.
Some weapons are more effective against particular enemies, save rockets for medium size enemies or clusters of regular enemies.

Xellos

Hey, better add SNES to the thread title lol
But in all seriousness they said this will have "Performance Improvements" and Rumble support?!?!
Not sure how they are making the cart considering the original uses the Super FX2 chip. Only thing I can think of is its using an FPGA on the cartridge which would make this VERY expensive.

xgPqhoe.jpeg

sqHAosN.jpeg

Back in the 90s our family computer could not run Doom (shrinking the screen helped a little), so a decent SNES version would have been a big deal. I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out.

MikeM

Gold Member
Decided to buy the full Doom package on Steam with all of them. Was like 75% off or whatever. Now my backlog just went up by 7 games or so lol

Power Pro

Doom 1 is no longer available on the site. Guess a lot of people were like me and just didn't have these on steam already as standalones. I never figured I'd need them cuz of the versions included in stuff like Doom 3.

Also, I have them on Switch, but those don't seem to be updating yet.

Edit: oh, well shit. Getting a steam code for Doom 2, just gave me Doom 1+2 automatically. I didn't realize it'd do that.

Last edited:
Doom 1 and 2 by Nightdive is an auto buy for me. The lastest versions of Doom were so atrocious that I demanded a refund from Sony and they gave me one because the game was crashing 100% of time, sometimes making my PS4 restart automatically.
What version are you talking about? I thought these were the only doom 1 and 2 on ps4? I own them on ps4/5, switch and steam. Or are you talking doom eternal?

I don't. Make a new entry in the library and create a separate purchaseable product. If you want to be nice and give it for free, give it to people who already have these games in their library. I'm sick of being forced to get these clown source ports and library changes forced on me. I just want the native original games free of the bloat and free of having to modify the launch parameters to just play the original. It's just a hassle for me with nothing gained.
The dos versions didn't go anywhere. These are great as they are modern platform compatible, have a ton of options and are mod ready out of the box. They also are coded for console controls and features, Ala haptics, gyro, controller, etc... Something the dos version never had. I owned them all back in the day, but I'd rather have these.. Oh and my floppies are long gone, so there is that.

Pelao

Did they add adaptive trigger support on PS5?
I already have these games on Switch and Xbox, but I'd buy them on PS5 just for that dumb feature.

Last edited:

Saber

What version are you talking about? I thought these were the only doom 1 and 2 on ps4? I own them on ps4/5, switch and steam. Or are you talking doom eternal?

The ones before that, which launched in a terribly state. It couldn't even emulate the music properly.

Apocryphon

The new Nightdive/Machine Games episode is fucking excellent. New enemies, new weapons, new textures, and some stunning geometry. Parts of it feel like it could be a Build Engine game which is weird 😂

The Switch version is an entirely new download that doesn’t replace Doom 1993 too. Free, and listed under Recent Releases in the store. Game looks outstanding on the OLED with maximum resolution scaling enabled.

The PC version just showed up when I opened Steam this afternoon. Haven’t tried it on the Steam Deck yet.

Based id Software.

QUESTION: If you did the Fanatical option of just buying DOOM 2 for $1.75 and then getting both D 1+2....do you just get that or do you get the whole package of all the extra episodes, sigil etc?

Power Pro Power Pro

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
QUESTION: If you did the Fanatical option of just buying DOOM 2 for $1.75 and then getting both D 1+2....do you just get that or do you get the whole package of all the extra episodes, sigil etc?

Power Pro Power Pro
I just played Sigil II and the new expansion. This is great. I downloaded it to my PS5 and Steam Deck. For a moment I felt like I was back on my Packard Bell playing the shareware version as a kid.

MacReady13

Played on the Ally X. Stunning. The new soundtrack is phenomenal! I must ask, how does 1 get rid of the aiming cursor in the middle of the screen? Whatever you do, get this package. Shows that no matter how much graphics have improved, gameplay will ALWAYS remain king and nothing will ever conquer the mighty Doom. So far, this is my game of the year! And I really don't see anything coming close.

Top Bottom