• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 1 + 2 on Steam (and NS/Xbox/PS) has been upgraded with new re-release

Fake

Gold Member
This looks buggy to me -- seems like imps, pinkies and maybe others (only seen those two so far) can hop down from ledge heights they are not supposed to. Nice music, though.

There are some KEX Engine limitations. After you enter into a teleport you float in the air for a second. You sometimes bounce like a pinball when you face the wall. Doomguy hitbox looks wider than original so monster have more easy to hit you with missiles.

Not to mentions wads like TNT the MIDI file are not correct.

Saber

Theres something wrong with the way the autoaim works, or perhaps the monster hitbox is bugged? Theres alot of missing shots from my weapons and the monsters are right in front of me. Even the Spider Mastermind make some shots pass through them, that never happened before.

This is a cracking update, I am very thankful for it, especially as a freebie for previous owners.
This clearly wasn't ready, though. The Switch version is crashing at random giving buffer overflow crashes from the iD Vault menu, there's no moderation of the mods, when i load a previous save fast monsters is suddenly on and only a fresh start of the level will change that, and there's stuff mentioned above like the monsters coming down from places they shouldn't be able to.
Think it's been forced out to tie into Quakecon rather than when good to go, which is a shame.

Doczu

This is a cracking update, I am very thankful for it, especially as a freebie for previous owners.
This clearly wasn't ready, though. The Switch version is crashing at random giving buffer overflow crashes from the iD Vault menu, there's no moderation of the mods, when i load a previous save fast monsters is suddenly on and only a fresh start of the level will change that, and there's stuff mentioned above like the monsters coming down from places they shouldn't be able to.
Think it's been forced out to tie into Quakecon rather than when good to go, which is a shame.
One thing we can be sure is that Nightdive will iron out the issues. They have avery good track record with patching Q1 and 2, Shadowman. I'm sure they will get back to work cause they are passionate on preserving and making the gsmes work perfectly

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Pretty sure there is a bug with berserk in that after the visual effect wears off, you can still punch things dead in one go.

Or maybe it’s just me because I’m hard as nails?
To add to the answer above, the berserk lasts as long as you don’t change from your hand to any other weapon. Makes getting the 20 berserk kills in one level achievement very possible.

On another note, for achievements, you can use skip levels, or use cheats (have to plug a keyboard into your console to use them which is dumb) to unlock them all. I got like 3/4 of them last night playing the final levels only with level select or setting myself with full weapons and god mode to get the enemy killing ones. Was really fun!

Last edited:
Pretty sure there is a bug with berserk in that after the visual effect wears off, you can still punch things dead in one go.

Or maybe it’s just me because I’m hard as nails?
This is a DOOM Engine thing; any level you get the Berserk pack in, you keep the punch buff until the level ends, even if you reload mid-level,

the newest campaign is intentionally hard ! it's like it was designed by streamers & speedrunners 😑
I'm only three levels in and thought it was just me. It's solid in terms of difficulty but I'm having a great time. I liked the puzzle elements to that second level when it came to lowering and raising the platforms. Took me an age to find the exit and couldn't find how to get outside to grab those health bottles.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Can you turn off that "bobbing up and down" when you walk?

Dark Forces remaster had that same thing and they included an option that you can turn that off since it makes some people motion sick. I had to turn that off in Dark Forces in order to be able to play it.

Fake

Gold Member
Whats up with the sound effect?

There are high-pitched audio and low bass sound, IDK why this is happening.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I can't believe they censored Hitler. Yeah. Need a mod to fix that.

Did they censor Wolfenstien 3D too? I will have to check my gog copy.

Edit: I looked up my copy of Wolfenstien 3D on gog and it seems like they left it alone.

It seems like the original version in Dosbox. I was reading the reviews and it sounds like they tried to replace it with a new one and then they reverted back to the old games.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2024.08.1.jpg

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2024.08.jpg

James Sawyer Reaction GIF

Amazing what modders are doing

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Should I give this a go? Does it have any adventage over just using GZDOOM?

Does any one else have the switch version? It is shit!! Well the game runs and looks fine but one of the main things the music volume is so low you can't hear it without putting your head up to the damn speakers on the switch.

Only music with decent volume (not low, but still not high) is the midi option. Which is not what this update promised. The Original soundtrak and the metal soundtrak are low volume, super low.

I know its just the switch version as I have it on PC and the steam deck and on my deck its loud, very loud.

Soodanim

Does any one else have the switch version? It is shit!! Well the game runs and looks fine but one of the main things the music volume is so low you can't hear it without putting your head up to the damn speakers on the switch.

Only music with decent volume (not low, but still not high) is the midi option. Which is not what this update promised. The Original soundtrak and the metal soundtrak are low volume, super low.

I know its just the switch version as I have it on PC and the steam deck and on my deck its loud, very loud.
For me the remix is much higher in volume than the originals on PC. I hope a patch will bring some balance, as right now it's jarring to switch between.

T-0800

I found it similar on PS5. I just turned down the Sound FX so that I could hear the music properly.

Smiggs

No offence intended to anyone, but much like when they boost an old game's resolution to 4k, the results to me just end up looking like ...a game that looks really old with good lighting or high resolution (or both).

I don't really get why people get so enthusiastic about it.
I think to some of us that played this game 25-30 years ago, this is how the game looked in our brain via the rose tinted goggles of nostalgia.

Doczu

I think to some of us that played this game 25-30 years ago, this is how the game looked in our brain via the rose tinted goggles of nostalgia.
Yeah, just like i remember the game being s lot gorier and violent when i was a kid. More akin to Brutal Doom than the vanilla one.

Danknugz

this reminded me i had to go back and finish "doom ii (classic)" from a couple years ago. i forgot how to kill the last boss and found this last night

haven't tried that yet but it looks good

edit: looks like some already posted similar

Last edited:

Danknugz

Doom 3 is a legit good horror game. It doesn’t vibe with OG Doom and Doom 2 though 2016 got back to it.
for me, doom3 was a faithful evolution of the original games' premise, environments and ambience. it makes sense because it uses id tech 4 which carmack designed. he was not involved with doom 2016. no comment from me on that one here.

Mario "inspired" Commander Keen, it has nothing to do with Catacombs 3D, Wolfenstein 3D or Doom
In a way it kind of does. Carmack was inspired by Mario to make it work on the PC, which was never designed to play games. From there came Wolfenstein 3D, and then Doom.

Futaleufu

In a way it kind of does. Carmack was inspired by Mario to make it work on the PC, which was never designed to play games. From there came Wolfenstein 3D, and then Doom.
There is this narrative that PC couldnt do scrolling in videogames when by 1989 some VGA games already did

tommib

Just noticed I could download the package for free on PS5. I guess I bought Doom 1 at some point. Can’t remember.

Package is a banger.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There are some KEX Engine limitations. After you enter into a teleport you float in the air for a second. You sometimes bounce like a pinball when you face the wall. Doomguy hitbox looks wider than original so monster have more easy to hit you with missiles.

Not to mentions wads like TNT the MIDI file are not correct.
Ahaa!
Rocket enemies always seemed more annoying in the KEX engine

Doczu

Quake remastered also feels off in its movement, feels floaty
Character movementvor camera movement? I had serious issues with the camera movement when it launched (so much i ranted to them in a support mail) but they added substantial camera control settings and i could fine tune what suits me the best.

Fake

Gold Member
Something is wrong with movement acceleration in this version. I'm looks like a pinball bounce between wall.

Kacho

Gold Member
Been playing the ever loving shit out of this. The music in Legacy of Rust is some truly incredible work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom