• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 system requirements revealed, theme online

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/20/news_6103036.html
An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or ATI Technologies 8500: Column author Dwight Silverman says given the game's demanding visuals, serious gamers should splurge for a GPU from nVidia's GeForce FX or 6800 line or ATI's Radeon 9800 or X series. He says more frugal PC owners can make do with a GeForce 5900XT or a Radeon 9600XT.

A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500: Though these will run the game, Silverman suggests a 2-GHz Pentium or equivalent, with the "ideal" processor being 3 GHz or over.

384 MB of memory: Again, Silverman stresses that this is a minimum requirement, and recommends 512 MB at least, with 1GB preferred.

Two GB of hard drive space: Four GB suggested if your PC is running low on free space.

SyNapSe

Ouch, those are pretty harsh, but expected I guess. My 9600XT makes me a frugal gamer :(

I only have an AMD 2200+ also.

IJoel

Get those fucking cards out in the market already ATI!

Sons of bitch with their slow ass card production...

*shakes fist at ATI*

Slo

Meh, the only thing I'm worried about is my processor. (2100 XP) If I can limp by on that, I'll probably wait until sometime next year when I can get something outrageously fast for around $500.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think it's pretty poor that the minimum card is not an original Geforce as Carmack originally said. What happened to the NV10 code path? Unless these are the minimum specs required to play the game "well".

We've known it would be pretty stiff for a while, but isn't this a potential obstacle to sales. There are some who are prognosticating sales of over 2-3 million for the PC version. My question is: HOW????

They haven't sold anywhere near that number of high end video cards. No doubt this game will drive many to upgrade as always happens and is the symbiotic relation between the card manufacturers and the PC devs, but I don't see it magically doubling the number of people with high end cards.

Of course, this game will sell well for years...

Iceman

looks like Xbox only for me.

I no way do I approach having the cash to upgrade my 1.2 GHz Athlon/mobo and 4200 Ti 64 to run this game.

epmode

IJoel said:

*shakes fist at ATI*
according to ati's own website, the x800 xt is in the process of shipping to major retailers right now. my guess that we'll actually be able to find them in 2 to 3 weeks. (i want one too)

Vandiger

I'm in the process of upgrading so I should be good. I've got my 6800 GT now all I need is cpu, motherboard, and ram....and a new power supply argh :p

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I have a feeling the VAST majority of PC Gamers out there will not be satisfied with the framerates they achieve on their current systems :( (me included).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
gofreak said:
I think it's pretty poor that the minimum card is not an original Geforce as Carmack originally said. What happened to the NV10 code path? Unless these are the minimum specs required to play the game "well".

Based on PC Gamer's reports, though, you can run Doom 3 on a GF4mx...which isn't really too far beyond a GeForce 1.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
IJoel said:

*shakes fist at ATI*

Cards are being produced fine, memory modules are coming in slower than card production hence delays.

Slo

In other words, the installation will fill up 2 gigs, but you'll need about another two gigs for running virtual memory.

Sander

dark10x said:
Based on PC Gamer's reports, though, you can run Doom 3 on a GF4mx...which isn't really too far beyond a GeForce 1.
It's not quite that bad :p A GF4MX is comparable to a Geforce2 (non-MX).

SyNapSe

Slo said:
In other words, the installation will fill up 2 gigs, but you'll need about another two gigs for running virtual memory.

wtf, it's going to page 2 gig onto your HD? That doesn't even make sense. Most peoples paging files wouldn't be that big. It probably means it's a 2 gig minimum install, but realistically once they have a few patches and you download a mod or two your going to be staring at 4 gig of HD space.

dark10x

Sander said:
It's not quite that bad :p A GF4MX is comparable to a Geforce2 (non-MX).

...but the actual feature-set isn't really that far ahead of a GF1. They are both DX7 cards, yes?

wtf, it's going to page 2 gig onto your HD? That doesn't even make sense. Most peoples paging files wouldn't be that big. It probably means it's a 2 gig minimum install, but realistically once they have a few patches and you download a mod or two your going to be staring at 4 gig of HD space.

Well, it's more like this...

When you PCs main HD drops below a certain level of freespace, your performance is going down the crapper.

Andy787

Banned
epmode said:
according to ati's own website, the x800 xt is in the process of shipping to major retailers right now. my guess that we'll actually be able to find them in 2 to 3 weeks. (i want one too)
Awesome. I've been hoping to hear that for quite some time.

Anyway, I can't believe people are actually dissapointed by this, let alone how anyone with any kind of idea about technology could believe that this was going to run on an original GeForce. Counter-Strike could kill a GeForce :p

dark10x

btrboyev said:
I thinks its crazy to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade your pc just to be able to play one game reasonably...

That's the thing, I fully believe that most people are over-estimating the requirements here. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that Far Cry will end up remaining the more demanding of the two...

teepo

btrboyev said:
I thinks its crazy to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade your pc just to be able to play one game reasonably...

hl2 and every game using both their engines. oh yeh... its worth it fro warhammer40k and ut2004 and every game that will be using that engine ;). oh yeh... fear too.

SaitoH

btrboyev said:

Yeah, but sometimes you just need that final push to upgrade. Besides, Half-life 2 should be out sometime in the near future ... I hope.

I bought a 9800 pro. =P

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well I personally ain't disappointed. I'm pretty much set for it. Though I do think it odd to have talked up the Geforce as a base level for the game, and then to go and mark the Geforce3 down as a minimum spec. But then again, this probably is the "minimum if you want it to run well", not the absolute minimum. So in that sense, it's probably actually refreshing that they're not understating the spec (at least i hope they're not!)

dark10x

minimum if you want it to run well

...more likely, it is the "minimum if you want the game to look anything like the screenshots". Those older cards simply are not capable of displaying the more advanced features present in the game.

SyNapSe

dark10x said:
When you PCs main HD drops below a certain level of freespace, your performance is going down the crapper.

Any game that is swapping to your HD is going to suffer awful performance.. at least in something like a First Person shooter. There is no way in hell they are swapping 2 gig of Virtual Memory though. This PC I'm working on now has 768 MB of space allocated to the paging file.. which is standard for 512 MB of RAM.

Slo

This whole $$$ for 1 game logic is bass akwards. There's very rarely more then one game that I want for ANY system at any given time. If I haven't played that game a month later, I've likely forgotten all about it. If I operated under that mentality, if I didn't just bite the bullet and buy a PS2 two years ago, I probably still wouldn't have one.

And yes, PC Gaming is not for the poor. It's not as expensive as people make it out to be, but if you don't want to spend $400 a year on hardware, PC Gaming is not for you.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:
That's the thing, I fully believe that most people are over-estimating the requirements here. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that Far Cry will end up remaining the more demanding of the two...

IAWTP. Chances are if you can run Far Cry decent, you will be able to run Doom 3 decently as well.

dark10x

SyNapSe said:
Any game that is swapping to your HD is going to suffer awful performance.. at least in something like a First Person shooter. There is no way in hell they are swapping 2 gig of Virtual Memory though. This PC I'm working on now has 768 MB of space allocated to the paging file.. which is standard for 512 MB of RAM.

Of course it is slower to access the HD, but based on my experience with hundreds of different PCs...when you start to run low on HD space with current operating systems, your performance starts to drop.

Vandiger

btrboyev said:

Actually its been about 2 yrs since I last upgraded and my system has been doing pretty well as far as most games but now its fucking chugging on even current games less than Doom 3, Far Cry, HL2, etc. I planned on upgrading as soon as Doom 3 hit because its the benchmark as to how much of an upgrade I want :p

jett

D-Member
Those are some crazy ass requirements...but knowing id, it's probable that Doom III will run just fine on a "lesser" machine.

Slo

I don't understand why those are considered high requirements. That hardware was all available in 2001-2002.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Pentium 4 3.2ghz extreme edition w/Hyper Threading
1gb of RAm
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600

So it sounds like I shouldn't have any problem running the game, but I'm going to have to tone the visuals down a bit?

Sander

dark10x said:
...but the actual feature-set isn't really that far ahead of a GF1. They are both DX7 cards, yes?
Very true, but when talking system requirements you should definitely consider performance as well don't you agree?

And I agree about overestimating requirements, this is John Carmack people ;)

ZombieSupaStar said:
Got a 9800 pro!

Got an AMD Athlon 3000!

Got a GIG!

Got 80 Free!

JUST BRING IT /rock

I've got a Radeon 9800Pro, Athlon 3000+, and 1GB of PC3200 DDR RAM, and two 120MB Serial ATA dirves. Let's do this already! ;)

shuri

Banned
btrboyev said:

a set of decent golf clubs is a bit more expensive than a modern pc. Are golf players crazy?

Slo said:
I don't understand why those are considered high requirements. That hardware was all available in 2001-2002.

This man is right. I'm two steps away from buying myself a new rig to play doom3. I mean my rig will play it perfectly fine, but i want the best. I wont even think about it twice.

current specs: amd 2600xp, 1.5gb of ram, 320gb of storage and an ati radeon 9800 pro.

Firstly, btrboyev, it's not about running one game well. A lot of people are upgrading for Half-life 2, etc. coming down the pipe later this year. Secondly, it's not just about *this* game in particular, so much as it is the engine. iD's engines are so widely used that you'll want good performance on the engine to ensure playability with other games using the engine. And considering the tech that the Doom III engine's pushing, I think it's fair to say it'll get a good bit of use.

shuri said:
a set of decent golf clubs is a bit more expensive than a modern pc. Are golf players crazy?

This man is right. I'm two steps away from buying myself a new rig to play doom3. I mean my rig will play it perfectly fine, but i want the best. I wont even think about it twice.

current specs: amd 2600xp, 1.5gb of ram, 320gb of storage and an ati radeon 9800 pro.

shuri

DO NOT buy a new rig with one like that give yours another 6 months yaer and then pick up something REALLY nice.

thats what i am doing, too much shit is chainging over in the enxt year to really drop coin on one now if you have a decent rig (which you do)

Top Bottom