• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 system requirements revealed, theme online

Forsete

Well.. I reckon I will upgrade within 1½ years.
My XP 1900+, GF4 Ti4200 can hang in there at least one more year. ;) So I guess I'll be playing D3 on Low and HL2 on Medium? :D

ZombieSupaStar said:
shuri

DO NOT buy a new rig with one like that give yours another 6 months yaer and then pick up something REALLY nice.

thats what i am doing, too much shit is chainging over in the enxt year to really drop coin on one now if you have a decent rig (which you do)

Especially since the PCGamer magazine seemed to imply nothing on market today can run Doom3 at its highest settings. With that rig, wait until the real next-generation GPUs are released (And everything else that's changing).

I call bullshit on pc gamers highest required settings. I feel like they just threw out the highest stuff they could imagine.

Me, I have to buy a whole new fucking rig to play this. But, its high time I did. There's to many good pc games out to enjoy them in a lackluster way. Doom and HL2 just sealed it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've had a 3 Ghz P4 and over 1 gig of Ram for over a year now ;)

Just gotta take a look at graphics cards. I'll see if my current one will work, if not, it's time for an upgrade :D

Biff Hardbody said:
I call bullshit on pc gamers highest required settings. I feel like they just threw out the highest stuff they could imagine.

Me, I have to buy a whole new fucking rig to play this. But, its high time I did. There's to many good pc games out to enjoy them in a lackluster way. Doom and HL2 just sealed it.

I'm pretty sure they were just quoting Carmack. So it's one thing if you don't have anything, but not the computer that one dude was talking about.

Mason

Can someone who knows about this type of stuff give me some indication of what kind of performance I might be getting? I have a higher CPU than required but a lower videocard, and I'm not really sure how that will affect performance.

Athlon XP 2500+
512 MB RAM
GeForce 5600 FX Ultra

SKluck

Banned
I'm not worried about how it runs on my machine, I'm just hoping they ship the game with some decent looking textures.

Vieo

P4 2.4GHz
60Gig HD
512MB DDR333
GeForceFX 5200 128MB
---

Bleh. I think, the first thing I shall do is save up and get a real video card. After that, I'll look into getting a P4 with hyper-threading.

Hooker

P4 2.4 GHz
1 GIG RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro (upgraded last month from a 9000 Pro)

Enough space, 60 gig harddrive soley dedicated to installed games :D

And I've had this machine since September 2002, cost me about €1850 back then, and only bought a new videocard (€200) and a new motherboard because my old one FUBAR'ed. (kids, NEVER update your bios when the electricity company decides to fuck you up and cuts the power of your region :mad:)

I am READY :D HL2 will also run beautifully on this rig. Should last me until 2007!

epmode said:
according to ati's own website, the x800 xt is in the process of shipping to major retailers right now. my guess that we'll actually be able to find them in 2 to 3 weeks. (i want one too)

I saw an X800 XT PE at a Best Buy in Pennsylvania over the weekend, unfortunately it was already being purchased, and it was the last one. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just out of curiousity, how does everyone think a 9700 Pro will fare? As a result of the newer cards, nobody talks about performance on these cards.

Lonestar said:
I've had a 3 Ghz P4 and over 1 gig of Ram for over a year now ;)

Just gotta take a look at graphics cards. I'll see if my current one will work, if not, it's time for an upgrade :D

Same here. I'm seriously considering upgrading from my 9800 Pro 256 to the X800 XT PE. Seeing those benchmarks it pulled off in Far Cry (@1600 res with full AA/AF), the only game that begins to push DX9 prior to D3/HL2 (IIRC) makes me seriously think the X800 XT will really show Doom 3's beauty. Also considering upping my 1GB of RAM to 2GB.

Mrbob

dark10x said:
Just out of curiousity, how does everyone think a 9700 Pro will fare? As a result of the newer cards, nobody talks about performance on these cards.

Well, old beta test from almost a year ago on a 2.2 ghz processor, 1 gig pc 3200 ram, and a 9800PRO (Which was considered high end at the time) could hit nearly 60FPS at 1024 X 768. The general rule of thumb is that the 9800PRO is 10-15 percent faster than the 9700 PRO. I'm guessing the final version should be more optimized. :p

Athlon XP2000
512 DDR Ram
Geforce Ti4600

Decsions Decsions !

Upgrade next month, or wait for the Nforce 4, with the add on of the Geforce PCI 6800.

;I ?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I usually don't buy PC games when they come out (heck up until a few months I didn't really buy any PC games period). Will the demo be available for download before it hits store shelves or on the same day? It would be nice to try it out a few days ahead of time.

tenchir

Athlon 1800+
512MB
Radeon 9800 Pro

I don't think I need to upgrade. I believe that Carmack will improve the performance of the game over time, even if the demo(which I hope will be out soon) will be a bit choppy to me. Look at the performance differences between Q3Test and Quake3 patched up.

ge-man

Mrbob said:
Well, old beta test from almost a year ago on a 2.2 ghz processor, 1 gig pc 3200 ram, and a 9800PRO (Which was considered high end at the time) could hit nearly 60FPS at 1024 X 768. The general rule of thumb is that the 9800PRO is 10-15 percent faster than the 9700 PRO. I'm guessing the final version should be more optimized. :p

I'm glad you answered dark's question since I'm actually stuck with 9700 PRO. I feel more confident about running the game now.

epmode

DJ Demon J said:
I saw an X800 XT PE at a Best Buy in Pennsylvania over the weekend, unfortunately it was already being purchased, and it was the last one. :(
yes, :(

on a whim, i just went to best buy, and the clerk checked stock. there isn't a single store in new jersey or new york that has the card. sigh. the doom 3 launch is going to hurt.

DJ Sl4m

There's no damn way this game will be great enough to warrent upgrading to those specs, but the games being released later using that engine are probably moreworthy IMO

BTW, my specs are decent enough as is.
P4 2.6
GPU 9700 pro AiW
505 gigs of hardrive space
1024 corsair 400 mhz memory

tenchir

DJ Sl4m said:
There's no damn way this game will be great enough to warrent upgrading to those specs, but the games being released later using that engine are probably moreworthy IMO

BTW, my specs are decent enough as is.
P4 2.6
GPU 9700 pro AiW
505 gigs of hardrive space
1024 corsair 400 mhz memory

I don't think there will be that many games that will be based on that engine. For one thing, that engine is bad if you want to make your game to have open environments, high polygon models, lots of actions, and area's that won't be dark.

Would have been a really great engine for Thief and System Shock, but otherwise, I don't see what other types of game can be create from this engine.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Hmm I have a Radeon 9600 Pro with a 3.1Ghz Processor and 512mb RAM OC'D... I wonder if this is good enough.

epmode said:
yes, :(

on a whim, i just went to best buy, and the clerk checked stock. there isn't a single store in new jersey or new york that has the card. sigh. the doom 3 launch is going to hurt.

I wouldn't say that, stores will have the X800 XT by the end of this month.

DJ Sl4m

tenchir said:
I don't think there will be that many games that will be based on that engine. For one thing, that engine is bad if you want to make your game to have open environments, high polygon models, lots of actions, and area's that won't be dark.

Would have been a really great engine for Thief and System Shock, but otherwise, I don't see what other types of game can be create from this engine.

Yea that may turn out to be true, I suppose I better start praying for Clive Barker's Undying 2, the first was fun as hell and I'm sure the engine would kick ass for a sequel.

tenchir

DJ Sl4m said:
Yea that may turn out to be true, I suppose I better start praying for Clive Barker's Undying 2, the first was fun as hell and I'm sure the engine would kick ass for a sequel.

Only if the entire game takes place in the mansion or is underground. I wouldn't know how they would do the open space other dimension thing.

Gattsu25

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:

I wouldn't count on that :( Undying was a EA game that didn't sell well :(

2600+ AMD
768MB DDR RAM
ATI 9800pro (128MB)
80GB Harddrive (20GB free)

LETS RAWK

Stryder

I'm weak.
I just ordered a 6800 GT to replace my 9700 Pro, at least now my system will be able to play Doom 3, HL2, Stalker, etc. in all their glory upon release.

Stuff like this is why I stick to consoles for gaming. I'd rather be a bitch to Nintendo/Sony/Micrsoft and punk down $200ish every 5 years than thousands every two years to keep up with these graphics card demos... I mean games.

And before I get the shit chucked at me, just think about what I'm trying to say. PC games have been about zero innovation as of late. Why? Cuz no one (okay, that's not true, but the vast majority of developers) has any the time to try anything different when they're so hellbent one-upping the other guy in the graphicss department.

I'll come back to PC gaming when Sam & Max and other things worth my time comes back. Till then, I'll play Doom 3 on my Xbox and he satisfied to know that I didn't have to spend $1,000+ to play a game which ultimately is a lot like other FPSs.

Over the last six months I've been building a new PC. I've had a pretty tight budget and it isn't quite finished yet, but the money I've spent is totally justifiable for everything from Deus Ex 2, Call of Duty, and other 2003 titles right through all of 2004's (Theif 3, Far Cry, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, Stalker and others.

System specs:

Abit NF7-S (nForce 2, Sound Storm audio)
AMD 2500+ @ 3200+ (39-41 deg, stock cooling, easiest overclock ever)
HIS 9800 Pro with Artic Silencer stock (9800 XT flash or overclock planned)
512mb Corsair CAS 2 RAM (want another stick, but they're pricey)
36gig WD Raptor 10,000rpm HDD (want another for RAID, but they're pricey =)
80gig Segate drive for data
Antec Super Lanboy case with three 120mm case fans

The whole thing cost me about $800 USD over six months, which is pretty affordable. Next on my shopping list is a pair of Logitech 680Z's, so I can play Doom 3 in 5.1 Dolby Digital, and if my budget allows, I'll get my next stick of RAM plus another HD.

Limedust

AMD XP2000+ (Palimino core)
1GB DDR266
ATI 9800 Pro

I ain't upgrading shit! I'm betting that I can run at 1024 and high detail with the AA turned off. Good enough for me. I'll upgrade when it's actually worth it.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
My current specs are:

AthlonXP 2000+
512MB PC2100 Ram
Asus V7700 Deluxe (Geforce 2 GTS 32MB)

I'm on a tight budget, but I should be fine if I replace that Video Card with a 9600XT. Asus has another VIVO card like the V7700 in a 9600XT flavor for about $170, so that should suffice.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"Stuff like this is why I stick to consoles for gaming. I'd rather be a bitch to Nintendo/Sony/Micrsoft and punk down $200ish every 5 years than thousands every two years to keep up with these graphics card demos... I mean games.

And before I get the shit chucked at me, just think about what I'm trying to say. PC games have been about zero innovation as of late. Why? Cuz no one (okay, that's not true, but the vast majority of developers) has any the time to try anything different when they're so hellbent one-upping the other guy in the graphicss department.

I'll come back to PC gaming when Sam & Max and other things worth my time comes back. Till then, I'll play Doom 3 on my Xbox and he satisfied to know that I didn't have to spend $1,000+ to play a game which ultimately is a lot like other FPSs."

If you want to get the highest end settings, then you have to spend about $1000 every 2-3 years with PC games. But you don't have to. You can pay $800 every 5 and get by.

As for lack of innovation, :rolleyes.

Gattsu25 said:
FortNinety, that was one of the most profoundly ignorant opinions I've seen 'against' PC gaming...congratulations

Hey it may be "ignorant", but it's still an "opinion", MY opinion. I still stand by my words.

Granted PC gaming has helped bring about multiplayer gaming, via deathmatches or MMORPG's, I'm not much of a fan of either, hence why I don't partake in the action, even on the console side.

I've dabble with the major FPS in the past few years, from Quake 3 to Halo to Unreal 2004, and it all seems the same to me, just better graphics and better guns. Hence why Doom 3 (and Halo 2 and Half Life ) holds no interest for me.

What do I like? Lots of stuff... racing game for example. What is Gran Turismo 4 over Gran Turismo 3? Just better graphics and better cars. Well it's more than that, at least to me, since I care about the genre.

Excuse me for voicing my opinion.

teepo

athlon 3000+ @ 3400+ speeds
1gig kingston hyperx ddr400 pc3200 memory
radeon9800pro 128meg @ 9800xt speeds
90gig hd with barly any space left.
logitech z680 with the right speaker broken... need to send that in to get fixed :(

just to let everyone know, their no difference in sound quality if you have a onboard soundcard to even a audigy2... zilch.

Gattsu25

Banned
thanks, teh_pwn :b

Fort, this may come as a suprise but the PC gaming scene is more than just 2 genres :rolleyes:

Lack of innovation is plaguing all platforms, but only if you ignore that they aren't the same old tired franchises that everyone thinks of when a specific platform is mentioned...you're not going to find innovation if you're too fcuking lazy to even look past the first genre that comes to mind

teepo, to my (limited) knowledge on onboard sound, as long as you just use 2 speakers and a subwoofer the sound quality should still be similar to a basic standalone card, but an onboard card might lower overall system performance

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"just to let everyone know, their no difference in sound quality if you have a onboard soundcard to even a audigy2... zilch."

Er...I have Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, and I can notice a huge difference between my onboard audio and the Audigy 2 ZS.

DSN2K

FortNinety said:
I've dabble with the major FPS in the past few years, from Quake 3 to Halo to Unreal 2004, and it all seems the same to me, just better graphics and better guns. Hence why Doom 3 (and Halo 2 and Half Life ) holds no interest for me.

What do I like? Lots of stuff... racing game for example. What is Gran Turismo 4 over Gran Turismo 3? Just better graphics and better cars. Well it's more than that, at least to me, since I care about the genre.

Excuse me for voicing my opinion.

I've dabble with the major racing games in the past few years, from GT3 to PGR to Burnout, and it all seems the same to me, just better graphics and better cars. Hence why GT4 (and Burnout 3 and NFSU2 ) holds no interest for me.

What do I like? Lots of stuff... FPS games for example. What is Halo over Halo 2? Just better graphics and better guns. Well it's more than that, at least to me, since I care about the genre.

btw I dont agree with this but im just trying to make a point :)

DSN2K said:
I've dabble with the major racing games in the past few years, from GT3 to PGR to Burnout, and it all seems the same to me, just better graphics and better cars. Hence why GT4 (and Burnout 3 and NFSU2 ) holds no interest for me.

What do I like? Lots of stuff... FPS games for example. What is Halo over Halo 2? Just better graphics and better guns. Well it's more than that, at least to me, since I care about the genre.

btw I dont agree with this but im just trying to make a point :)

Hey, I got no problems with what you have to say.

dream

That's just a genre though. You can't judge the whole of PC gaming against a specific stagnant genre.

FortNinety said:
Excuse me for voicing my retarded opinion.

Excused.

teepo said:
just to let everyone know, their no difference in sound quality if you have a onboard soundcard to even a audigy2... zilch.

Um...no.

Not only is there a sound quality difference, there's also a CPU usage difference. With a few exceptions like nVidia based boards, most motherboards have an AC'97 solution which is practically software based, like a soft modem. Not only do you get sound degradation from interference from the motherboard, your CPU is working harder too.

Any sound card is better than AC'97 sound (again, nVidia motherboards being an exception).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
teepo said:

Having owned an SB16, SB AWE32/64, SB Live!, an internal mobo solution, an audigy and heard an Audigy 2 (All on the same sound system and set of headphones) You have no idea what you're talking about :p

pestul

serious gamers should splurge for a GPU from nVidia's GeForce FX or 6800 line or ATI's Radeon 9800 or X series. He says more frugal PC owners can make do with a GeForce 5900XT or a Radeon 9600XT.
Hmm.. very interesting statement there. Putting the R9800 series up there with 'serious' gamers.. and not even mentioning the NV5900/5950's. It must still run great on ATI cards. :D

Top Bottom