• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 system requirements revealed, theme online

I'm thinking I'm gonna wait until October/November and drop bank on the P4 4.0 GHz chip, and an X800XT PE (when it will actually be in stores). Of course, it would be cutting edge (expensive) shit, but dammit, I'm tired of buying 1 or 2 generations of hardware back, just so I can save some money.

tenchir

Error Macro said:
I'm thinking I'm gonna wait until October/November and drop bank on the P4 4.0 GHz chip, and an X800XT PE (when it will actually be in stores). Of course, it would be cutting edge (expensive) shit, but dammit, I'm tired of buying 1 or 2 generations of hardware back, just so I can save some money.

Why would anyone pay that much when they can save like 200-300 dollars for processors that are 10 percent slower? Is there that much of a difference between a 3.2 ghz chip and the 4 ghz chip?

tenchir said:
Why would anyone pay that much when they can save like 200-300 dollars for processors that are 10 percent slower? Is there that much of a difference between a 3.2 ghz chip and the 4 ghz chip?

Of course there is. There's a number 4 in the beginning of the speed rating. That just sounds so cool, dammit. ;) Don't worry, I probably won't buy it; I need to save all the money I can.

tenchir

I can't remember, is the shadow/lighting very CPU intensive or very GPU intensive?

Don't know if this is real or not.

http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum...084477&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1
Yeah, I was lucky enough to receive my copy today, so I'll share it with you guys.

1. 6800 is a tad faster than X800 cards. Both run it in full glory

2. The game has four render paths: NV10, NV20, R200, and ARB2. All paths look awesome, even down to a g4mx, but the ARB2 path is the "full package," and is used for the R300+ and Geforce FX+ cards. It does all it's fancy shit in one pass.

3. PCI Express enhances NOTHING.

4. The difference between a 128mb and 256mb card is that the former uses compressed textures whereas the latter only compresses diffuse and specualr maps. In another words, no big deal. However, a 500mb card is needed to run the game in Ultra Quality mode.

5. 512MB is the ideal system total memory. 384 is required, 1GB is nice, but the difference is negligible.

6. Nothing special is included for a 64-bit OS.

7. A 1.5 Ghz processor is the least recommended, but a 2Ghz and above will help since...

8...The sound engine is entirely CPU dependant. Therefore a crappy soundcard works flawlessly. Not to worry, the enfine only uses a "small percentage of cycles, much less than if the engine relied on a soundcard.

9. The only reccommendation regarding faster framerates is to disable to "advanced special effects option." In other words, upgrade if you have problems.

10. They tie it up by providing three levels of "Doom lovin' PC's"

Low-End:
1.5GhzP4 or equivalent
512MB Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4800 or Radeon 9500

Mid-Range:
2.4GhzP4 or equivalent
1GB RAM
Geforce5950 or Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

High_End: Aka Hardware that doesn't exist, but best guess anyway
3.4GhzP4 or AMD equivalent
2GB RAM
GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT PE.

In conclusion, the game will run well on a variety of hardware, and Rob Duffy, the lead programmer, says that the game looks real good no matter what, and that it will continue to look better as hardware improves. Like all previous id engines, we'll be playing games based on D3 for another five years down the road.

Enjoy everybody!

Top Bottom