• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Refyref

Oh hey, don't you think E1M1 looks like a prototype Plasma Rifle?

300px-E1M1_map.png

Oh wow. Can't unsee!

Ragnarok

I think Doom is still a big enough name to warrant a AAA designation. Is it going to define the entire genre like the first game? no. But make sure the gunplay is tight and the set pieces are interesting (and how could you not make Hell set pieces interesting?). I think one way to stand out from the crowd, would be an amazing damage system. Limbs flying off dynamically. Eviscerations. Dynamic wounds. Have the body parts/corpses stick around like they used to. Having them dissolve was just so disappointing in DOOM 3. Not just the same chainsaw animation over and over ala Gears. I think stuff like that would really set it apart. Go back to its roots and try to be the most brutal game around.

mmmm next gen Hell particle effects sound nice. Super disappointing Carmack isn't involved though. That's definitely troubling.

Raptomex

I think Doom is still a big enough name to warrant a AAA designation. Is it going to define the entire genre like the first game? no. But make sure the gunplay is tight and the set pieces are interesting (and how could you not make Hell set pieces interesting?). I think one way to stand out from the crowd, would be an amazing damage system. Limbs flying off dynamically. Eviscerations. Dynamic wounds. Have the body parts/corpses stick around like they used to. Having them dissolve was just so disappointing in DOOM 3. Not just the same chainsaw animation over and over ala Gears. I think stuff like that would really set it apart. Go back to its roots and try to be the most brutal game around.

mmmm next gen Hell particle effects sound nice. Super disappointing Carmack isn't involved though. That's definitely troubling.
There's a mod to keep bodies on the ground in D3. But I think the one for RoE is outdated.

TUROK

My favourite wad was Cyberdreams. Oh man that was cool. Over a series of levels you had to fight cyber demons, but you weren't given any weapons. You had to find ways to kill them within the environment. It was more of a puzzle game than anything else. Loads of attempts, loads of cyber demons. Loads. Some of the levels were difficult, but I managed to get through them all.
Cyberdreams was so fucking cool. I softmodded my PSP years back and got Doom on it, and I'd play Cyberdreams whenever I had any downtime at work or school or whatever. It was painfully difficult at times, but the sense of accomplishment that came with completing it was unparalleled.

G-Fex

I'm only dissapointed I can't get accurate PSX weapon sprites working with PSX Doom TC.

oddly enough they are there in Threshold of Pain wad

Giving up on ZanZan and Void. Either my using GZDoom's fucking with parts of either WAD or they're designed to trap me in fail states without warning. It's like the usual complaints about weird situations or tough platforming (a virtuous thing for Void to use) don't even matter; it's all about totally random crap like a Cyberdemon falling out of the sky while I'm immobile for no apparent reason!

One cool thing someone made at /vr/: a nifty mod enabling pistol starts with related console variables. Pistol start's aren't actually implemented into the ZDoom family, so this is going in my global auto-load pile (instructions contained in .wad code).

I believe Void made assumptions about Heretic/ZDoom's item bobbling code that were true at the time, but no longer are - namely, that the actual object was being moved around as it bobbled, as opposed to just where it was being rendered. At the time, that was true, so you could position things just high enough that you could only grab it from below as it was at the nadir of its bobble. That is no longer true - the object's collision data remains stationary now, while its sprite bobbles around - and the objects in question are now too high to reach at all.

Dunno if that's what's holding you back, I just recall hearing about it and felt like relating it.

It doesn't seem as though my situation in Void is broken because of this, since the skybox I see prior to activating the drop doesn't show anything that ought to bob down, but good notice.

Raptomex

It is done. I have completed my first map. I'm just calling it "Raptomap" since it's really just a test of what I can do. Doom 2 required.

Download

Originally I didn't have a theme planned or anything really coherent. I was just going to do whatever and see what I can accomplish. However, I ended up having more ideas of a tech base.

Please test it out and give feedback. It's a small map. It feels like more of a 1st level type of map to me.

I learned that sectors are smaller than they appear. When in visual mode and even in-game, sector's I've created are not as big as I thought. Good to know for the future. But I also learned Doom Builder is extremely user friendly and nothing about it really ruined my experiences with it so far. Just being able to complete this was pretty cool. I have some ideas for a megawad but I'll have to learn to create some new textures and stuff and of course learn some new stuff. The next map I create I want to focus on more detail.

EDIT: Thanks to someone on Doomworld I've just been informed the secret is visible on the map screen. I didn't realize how to hide the lines. Oh, well. I learned something today. So that's good to know.

EDIT 2: I just played through this again via Zandronum and didn't see the secret in the map screen until I discovered it in-game. Maybe it depends on the source port?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I realize that this is a Doom community thread, but I was wondering if there are new engines for Quake 3 Arena.

For example:
I know that Quake has the Darkplaces engine which is GREAT.
Quake 2 has q2 Xp or KMquake 2

Is there such a MOD for Quake 3 Arena? I can't find one.

Raptomex

I realize that this is a Doom community thread, but I was wondering if there are new engines for Quake 3 Arena.

For example:
I know that Quake has the Darkplaces engine which is GREAT.
Quake 2 has q2 Xp or KMquake 2

Is there such a MOD for Quake 3 Arena? I can't find one.
I never was a Quake guy but I think you can play it for free in your browser now. Quake Live I think. It might not be the answer to your question but it's worth noting. It's a remake or a successor or something.

http://www.quakelive.com/

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I never was a Quake guy but I think you can play it for free in your browser now. Quake Live I think. It might not be the answer to your question but it's worth noting. It's a remake or a successor or something.

http://www.quakelive.com/

Thats really the only one?

I am just surprised that with all the efforts that have been put into Doom, Quake and Quake 2 as well Doom 3 that Quake 3 Arena hasn't had a more modernized engine.

Aquashark

Banned
Thats really the only one?

I am just surprised that with all the efforts that have been put into Doom, Quake and Quake 2 as well Doom 3 that Quake 3 Arena hasn't had a more modernized engine.
http://ioquake3.org/ - but this kind of engine modifications are not very popular since Q3 is a multiplayer game that aged well enough and custom clients tend to break the online compatibility, also there's Quake Live and that's its own thing entirely.

anyway, i know this is a Doom thread, but i recommend anyone to try this Quake3 puzzle map: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/moteof.htm

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
http://ioquake3.org/ - but this kind of engine modifications are not very popular since Q3 is a multiplayer game that aged well enough and custom clients tend to break the online compatibility, also there's Quake Live and that's its own thing entirely.

anyway, i know this is a Doom thread, but i recommend anyone to try this Quake3 puzzle map: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/moteof.htm

My interest in playing it was more for nostalgia using bots and not competitive online.

In my previous posts I loved how all those old games have gotten modern facelifts to be more playable on modern PCs.

Having native widescreen support is important to me.

Raptomex

Sure, that at least implies I've tried
no, I don't want to get bored, just saying I probably will. I am flawed.
So am I. I just thought it was funny. I want to learn to make them as well. Don't know if Photoshop knowledge is a plus but I have it so hopefully I can use it.

To anyone who knows, I assume it's possible to create maps in Doom Builder and import it to SLADE for texture and skybox editing, correct?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What the hell ever happened to Doom IV?

Wasn't this supposed to be out by now?

Doom 4 was announced almost six years ago now but it's never had a release date, however pre-ordering Wolf14, which releases in May, gets you beta access, so there's a good chance that'll kick off in time for QuakeCon in July.

Here's an article Kotaku published on the game's reportedly troubled development.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So.

I did a playthrough of Ultimate Doom today on the PSX total conversion.

And here it is.

in all it's original weapon sprites glory, even playstation intro at the start
Good for you for turning off texture filtering. (Antialiasing) I will never understand people who keep that turned on in games with low resolution images. It makes them look horrible. Especially in a game like DOOM or its children. Every day I curse Nintendo for introducing the gaming world to the concept of texture smoothing. (I remember it being a huge bullet point on the N64.)

SparkTR

So.

I did a playthrough of Ultimate Doom today on the PSX total conversion.

And here it is.

in all it's original weapon sprites glory, even playstation intro at the start

I'm really amazed at how much work they put into that. It's pretty much a 1:1 port nowadays, I remember following the ZDoom thread way back and it's interesting to see how far its come (they hadn't even started Final Doom PSX then I believe).

Texture filtering for DOOM 64 EX (or TC) at 320x200 (or whatever resolution the Nintendo 64 used) is mandatory for the purist experience though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Texture filtering for DOOM 64 EX (or TC) at 320x200 (or whatever resolution the Nintendo 64 used) is mandatory for the purist experience though.
Nope. I won't do it. I will not look at blurry sprites and walls. I will play DOOM 64 the same way I play DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 at full resolution of my screen. If I want a purist experience I will play it on my N64. lol

G-Fex

Good for you for turning off texture filtering. (Antialiasing) I will never understand people who keep that turned on in games with low resolution images. It makes them look horrible. Especially in a game like DOOM or its children. Every day I curse Nintendo for introducing the gaming world to the concept of texture smoothing. (I remember it being a huge bullet point on the N64.)

I don't think I adjusted any settings so it's off by default I guess.

I'm really amazed at how much work they put into that. It's pretty much a 1:1 port nowadays, I remember following the ZDoom thread way back and it's interesting to see how far its come (they hadn't even started Final Doom PSX then I believe).

It's pretty damn true to the PSX version. Best way to play unless you do prefer the controller in which case they've got controller enabled too I think. It's a amazing TC next to Doom 64 EX.

So this is pretty much the map layout

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sony_PlayStation#Levels

Doom Wiki said:
Removed Doom levels include Hell Keep, Slough of Despair, Dis, Warrens, They Will Repent, Against Thee Wickedly, And Hell Followed, and Fear. Removed Doom II levels include Downtown, Industrial Zone, Gotcha!, The Chasm, The Spirit World, The Living End, Icon of Sin, Wolfenstein, and Grosse.

Doom Wiki said:
Exclusive Levels include: Level 29: Twilight Descends
Level 57: The Marshes (secret level)
Level 30: Threshold of Pain
Level 58: The Mansion (secret level)
Level 59: Club Doom (super secret level)
Level 54: Redemption Denied

Rodpad

Neo Member
Hi there, new to Neogaf, long standing Doom community member. Did anybody play the deathmatch WADs Execution (exec.wad) and Decamatch (deca.wad and deca2.wad)? I was in the map making team that released these back in 1997-1999 or so. One of the map authors is also the author of Chocolate Doom.

Personally I always used Deep97 for all my map making, and NWT for replacing resources. Doom supports launching multiple PWADs so it's much easier keeping a map file PWAD separate from your extra/replaces resources right up until you merge them all together in your final release.

Anyhoo. I've got a bunch of unfinished levels from 2005 that I'd like to complete and release one day as part of another map pack with other members. Would there be any interest from other people in this at all?

Definitely interested. You ever thought of contacting the original authors and getting the old DM WADs up on /idgames? That would get them more exposure, though I'm mostly just curious about the idea.

Really great texturing, KM. It looks organic yet tech-y enough to work for many themes.

Raptomex

Made my first texture. It was a lot easier getting something working in DOOM than I thought.

Wanted to make something Tech Basey because I've had my quota of cobblestone or whatever else stone for now.

Tried to combat the flatness a bit.

Tiles vertically too (though clearly not intended to be used that way.)
Awesome. What did you use to make them? Did you import the texture into XWE, SLADE, or Doom Builder?

Last night I successfully swapped out the skybox in my map. I made a test skybox from an image I found and got it in there as well. Felt good.

I made it using Krita + Graphics Gale and used SLADE to make it a .wad file. Imported the .wad into DOOM Builder to make a quick level.

Raptomex

I made it using Krita + Graphics Gale and used SLADE to make it a .wad file. Imported the .wad into DOOM Builder to make a quick level.
I wish I could import the raw image file into doom builder. If you can, I don't know how. In slade did you just start a new WAD archive, import the image then just save the wad?

You have to right click the image after import and click "add to TEXTUREx" or whatever the option was, which also adds it to the patch table.

Guess i'll hop in here :)

Gonna play through Ep1 of OG DooM this weekend with coworker via PS3.
Somethings are just timeless you know....

If you're targetting ZDoom, you also get to use the TEXTURES lump, which is entirely text-based and doesn't require the PATCHES lump at all. (Not compatible with anything else, as far as I know.) For single-patch textures, you can also just put them between TX_START and TX_END.

Heck, if you're targetting GZDoom, you can just save all your patches in true-color PNG format. GZDoom will render them as-is, while ZDoom will convert them to the IWAD's palette beforehand (making this something of a necessity for multiple-game mods). Heck, doesn't even have to be true-color, the PNG can use whatever palette you want and ZDoom'll still convert it to the game's palette for you.

Raptomex

I just misunderstood. So many programs. I'm trying to see how I can do it with some sense of organization. I keep asking myself "do I make the map in doom builder first then create and import the textures via XWE or SLADE?" That's my concern right now. I like to do things as I go so if I could import new textures into doom builder as im creating the map that would be beneficial. If I can't I'll have to decide if I want to create the textures before and make a texture wad or just apply them after the map is designed.

Top Bottom