• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

BigDug13

around when the stun bomb started feeling OP the game ramped up to compensate. Ultraviolence feels about right in that I rarely die but it usually feels 'close'. I played like shit in the first boss fight and straight up overpowered him though.

I can definitely feel like I'm getting better. Really Dark Souls-ish that way if you never touch Hurt me Plenty and go straight to Ultraviolent. I played the first three levels on HMP and realized this wasn't going to do it for me challenge-wise so I started over on UV Sunday. The first nest in Ultraviolent I couldn't get past for like 6 tries but ended up sticking with it and got better and better as the game went on. Made it to Hell 1, decided to try out Nightmare and ended up making it past the first nest first try.

Side question. Those videos people show of Mars levels with lots of flames and a ton of the baddest hell enemies. Is that the highest difficulty that wipes your save if you die? If so, I wish there was that difficulty setting without the "hardcore mode" when you die as an option. I'm just too old to devote a bunch of time into something that will be completely wiped if I die, but want to experience that tougher mode.

dlauv

I don't know. I liked MW, but the sequels felt redundant (and in some cases like Blops 1, just plain bad). I liked Halo 3, but I was never crazy about the series. Love horror, so I played DOOM 3 back in the day and thought it was ok (at the time, kind of hate it now).

Played Ultimate DOOM in 2k9 expecting a game with some age and amateur/rough design choices in it, and it ended up being my favorite FPS of all time. Still is. I'm 26, but I have some friends who are younger and they unquestioningly consider DOOM to be their favorite shooter. So, I don't really think it's an age thing.

Shadow Warrior was just ok. Dislike all of the Bioshock games. Couldn't get into Serious Sam, and Painkiller just isn't that engaging. Half-Life 2 was fine, but dragged quite a lot. DOOM 2 felt like a less good, sloppier DOOM. DOOM 64 felt ponderous. Wolfenstein was a lot of fun, but it felt pretty rough in some areas. The Darkness 2 is excellent.

So far, this DOOM sequel feels like the first proper proper sequel. It's great. Not as good and not the same, but its own thing and very proficient at being a good time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jumped on this after all the positive reaction. Not a massive FPS fan but hoping it'll be a breath of fresh air, like Bulletstorm or Wolfenstein.

At the risk of being ridiculed by the PC crowd - is it playable using a 360 pad on a PC? Bought on PC for the performance (and also because I can't readily play it around the kids in the living room), but I much prefer controllers if possible.

Also is it 21:9 friendly?

seph1roth

Argent Tower is more linear than the previous maps but it's full of verticality, i'm always jumping in here.

I've never seen an FPS with this verticality in years, kudos for ID.

Rip and tear

aeCPXEE.jpg

What is this??????

marrec

Banned
Argent Tower is more linear than the previous maps but it's full of verticality, i'm always jumping in here.

I've never seen an FPS with this verticality in years, kudos for ID.

Every time I thought it would stop going up it just kept going up in new and creative ways.

Jumped on this after all the positive reaction. Not a massive FPS fan but hoping it'll be a breath of fresh air, like Bulletstorm or Wolfenstein.

At the risk of being ridiculed by the PC crowd - is it playable using a 360 pad on a PC? Bought on PC for the performance (and also because I can't readily play it around the kids in the living room), but I much prefer controllers if possible.

Also is it 21:9 friendly?

I am playing through PC with an XONE controller and it is great. Just make sure to tool the sensitivity and aim acceleration to your liking. It also has an Aim Assist option too so there is a lot of support.

I was gonna jump in with the Steam Controller but i just wasn't in the mood to tinker before I know the mechanics better.

Best single-player FPS campaign in a long time. Could've been even better if they completely abandoned all the storytelling. Too bad they spent time developing the competitive stuff, though.

Yes.

Lemnisc8

Loving the SP aspect, and all comments already given kinda already say what I wanted to, it's truly excellent.

But I dont understand all the hate for MP, my buds and I are all having a blast. It's not quite what it could have been for sure, I'm not denying that it could be better, but I also don't agree with the "MP is trash" camp either. It pumps me up!

I literally love every aspect of this game.

So what's the ideal way to take out the guys with shields? I try jumping over them to shoot from behind but they turn around pretty quickly. Chainsaw is a easy option.

I hate those guys. Most of the time I can strafe around them and do alright, but sometimes they're in a location that it isn't possible and they end up fucking my shit up and I feel like there isn't much I can do about it besides just firing and hoping they die before I do.

MiguelItUp

I dont understand all the hate for MP, my buds and I are all having a blast. It's not quite what it could have been for sure, I'm not denying that it could be better, but I also don't agree with the "MP is trash" camp either. It pumps me up!
Yeah, I feel the same way. To say it's average or "meh", just sounds like it's not your cup of tea and of course that's fine. But to say it's trash and garbage is just a bit much to me. Personally I find it more functional and enjoyable than D3's multiplayer. I feel like people tend to forget how bad D3's was, I mean, it literally felt tacked on and was hardly functional.

GavinUK86

Grenades or rockets behind them.

Get med-range and strafe shoot. They get stuck in an animation and you avoid damage. Or do as the above post suggests.

Plasma rifle stun shot is my goto for them. That alt fire is kind of overpower in some ways.

I just save them for last and strafe around them, they have a pretty slow turn rate.

I hate those guys. Most of the time I can strafe around them and do alright, but sometimes they're in a location that it isn't possible and they end up fucking my shit up and I feel like there isn't much I can do about it besides just firing and hoping they die before I do.

giphy.gif

I can never find the secrets. I don't go out of my way to too hard, but they seem to be hidden pretty well.
I look and find occasional stuff, but I've only found maybe 4 or 5 dolls and have yet to see anything with the old school levels

Good thing the game is replayable as hell

I'm playing on PC with a controller without shame. I want to play on my big screen sitting on my couch, which means controller.
I'm on Ultra Violence and having no issues. At times I can tell that they may have designed certain encounters with kbm in mind, but I don't feel hindered beyond the expected weaknesses of a controller.

The left stick is a little funny in that it's pretty much all or nothing, it's got a huge dead zone and there is only a very small zone where you can walk slowly. But I'm pretty sure that's by design and not a mistake.

dlauv

I think the movement is universally 2 speeds. You got a walk (which you can activate on PCs by holding shift) and then your normal "run."

BigDug13

I look and find occasional stuff, but I've only found maybe 4 or 5 dolls and have yet to see anything with the old school levels

Good thing the game is replayable as hell

The old school levels are not the whole level, just a tiny snippet. Example, one of the first ones is Doom 2 level 1 but just the small room where the zombies are up on four little platforms and you have the two switches, one for the corner hidden power ups and one to drop the platforms.

There are old looking levers hiding around the ground in spots that open up the doors/walls to these areas.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Started playing today and cleared the first 2 levels. I'd play some more, but I'm afraid that the adrenaline won't let me sleep.
I think Quake 3 was the last time I played an FPS which feels so fun and fast. This game is amazing and I don't regret grabbing it even though I'm not planning to touch the multiplayer.

The old school levels are not the whole level, just a tiny snippet. Example, one of the first ones is Doom 2 level 1 but just the small room where the zombies are up on four little platforms and you have the two switches, one for the corner hidden power ups and one to drop the platforms.

There are old looking levers hiding around the ground in spots that open up the doors/walls to these areas.
Are they straight up sprites like the old games or 3D models? I've been looking for suspicious stuff but haven't seen it (unless they're hidden like under desks or on the backs of crates or something haha)

Metal-Geo

Anyone know how to open the first secret room in The UAC level? (Or what I think is the first secret room?) There's a door right before your first weapon upgrade that I'm just unable to open. :(

zoukka

Screencaps aren't working on PC? I press prnt-scrn and I always get an image of the settings menu...

Anyone know how to open the first secret room in The UAC level? (Or what I think is the first secret room?) There's a door right before your first weapon upgrade that I'm just unable to open. :(

A lever on the right side of the door just a bit back.

I really like what I'm hearing about this game. But I just spent $60 on UC4 and it's entertaining me plenty.

Another $60 that, for me, would just be a single player game just seems a bit steep at the moment. When I tire of Uncharted/$40 sale, I'm in.

Gluka

The game is really good. My biggest complaint is that weapons and enemies are introduced a bit too slowly.

Also, the airstrafe rune is amazing and it's really stupid that they waited till the last quarter of the game to introduce it. I agree with the poster who said that it should have been the default behavior. It improves the feel of the game too much to be an unlock.

d3vnull

Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

Hype over. Buy this game. We need more games like these.

33 years old here and this text could be mine if I was better at writing. 100 percent agree.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Not true. On the main menu you can play the whole level.

napalmjam

I hate online multiplayer mode on most games but I am quite enjoying it in doom takes me back to the q3 arena days on dreamcast as a whole I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
I am worried about the multiplayer. The response since the beta has been very negative and it doesn't appear that they made any significant changes since the beta.

Personally I think the gameplay for the multiplayer is good and the weapons are fun to use, but what holds it back is their odd design decisions. No FFA is a very strange omission (especially given all the customization you can do on your character). The demon dominates pretty much every game mode and I feel it should have been given its' own gametype or something. I think everyone almost unanimously agrees that the loadouts were a bad idea. The hack module system doesn't really bother me, I just set it to auto and don't really bother with using it much.

Has Id/Certain Affinity commented on this at all? Is there any indication that they may address some of the issues people have with it? I'm afraid that if they don't the population for the MP will die down fast, which would be a shame because I think they have the foundation for it to be good.

marrec

Banned
I am worried about the multiplayer. The response since the beta has been very negative and it doesn't appear that they made any significant changes since the beta.

Personally I think the gameplay for the multiplayer is good and the weapons are fun to use, but what holds it back is their odd design decisions. No FFA is a very strange omission (especially given all the customization you can do on your character). The demon dominates pretty much every game mode and I feel it should have been given its' own gametype or something. I think everyone almost unanimously agrees that the loadouts were a bad idea. The hack module system doesn't really bother me, I just set it to auto and don't really bother with using it much.

Has Id/Certain Affinity commented on this at all? Is there any indication that they may address some of the issues people have with it? I'm afraid that if they don't the population for the MP will die down fast, which would be a shame because I think they have the foundation for it to be good.

I mean, all they'd have to do is implement a "classic" deathmatch mode for people who want that style of MP right?

There's no reason that the loadout/demon driven MP mode that I enjoy can't coexist beside a "classic" mode, unless id are afraid that it will cannibalize some kind of hypothetical and likely non-existent competitive scene.

I convinced my friend to buy it, he played like two levels and said he hates it and it feels like cod with Demons. I'm not even sure how he got to this conclusion but I don't know what to say to him, I told him it gets better but it seems he has his mind set.

I convinced my friend to buy it, he played like two levels and said he hates it and it feels like cod with Demons. I'm not even sure how he got to this conclusion but I don't know what to say to him, I told him it gets better but it seems he has his mind set.

COD? lol that makes no sense.

The Flash

Banned
Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

Hype over. Buy this game. We need more games like these.

I'm going to include this in the review thread. Great post.

Neiteio

Just want to say this game plays beautifully with a pad. I'm sure KBM is better (of course), but I never find myself feeling off with the pad. Everything feels right, and the only setting I tweaked is invert look. I don't know how they did it, but they did. Game works wonderfully on consoles, both controls and performance (usually 1080p 60 fps with AA, motion blur, etc!).

hbkdx12

As someone who's never played doom since the SNES (and never got past the first level cuz i found it scary) this game piqued my interest in that most people are saying it's just silly straight forward unabated fun. I'm assuming the action is too frenetic to actually be scary? Can someone who has no real appreciation of the doom franchise enjoy the game? I know the game has a lot of backtracking and openness to it. Do you feel like you always know where you're going or is it easy to get a bit lost and turned around?

How is the feedback in terms of you taking damage. I've still yet to finish wolfenstein and part of the reason is that the damage feedback is so ineffective that you never feel like you're aware of when your about to die.

I ran into one glitch this morning. I think it was on level 7, where they introduce the ramming enemies.

There's a bot -- the ones you unlock weapon power-ups with -- the runs a path above the action.
You can reach it if you go up on a couple of boxes.
Anyways, I saw it, and tried to do that. As soon as I touched it, the game glitched and my camera changed so that it was as if I was INSIDE that bot. I could see parts of it, but parts were also missing, and I followed its path.

I eventually got loose and had been transported to the other end of the area.

Top Bottom