• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Ricker

Oooof,awesome game but on Hell on Mars I cant take this anymore,I am done,enjoy guys,this is way too hard for me...would like to see the % of people who will finish this on nightmare or even normal on PS4...the % will probably say Ultra Rare.

Back to Uncharted 4 I go... ;)

daedalius

I convinced my friend to buy it, he played like two levels and said he hates it and it feels like cod with Demons. I'm not even sure how he got to this conclusion but I don't know what to say to him, I told him it gets better but it seems he has his mind set.

This makes no sense at all, I don't think the gameplay could possibly get further from CoD, lol.

Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

Hype over. Buy this game. We need more games like these.

Hey this sounds familiar, oh probably because we are like the same age and gameplay experience! I agree with everything right here, Doom is like my GOTY at this point.

They really really really need to put out the OST. I can't deal with going to YouTube and listening to it piecemeal. Throw it up on Spotify, I'd listen to it all day at work.

datsunzep

Stayed up late last night getting it playable on my rig.

Managed to squeeze out a near stable 30fps at 1080p with an AMD phenom II 955 be @3.9ghz and a 6950 2gb heavily overclocked. I can run it on high on campaign but for mp I had to drop it to low to stay 40-50 fps with people buzzing about. The funny part is I thought I'd be cpu and gpu limited, but I'm only gpu bottlenecked. Pascal can't get here any sooner!

Loving the game so far, pure carnage.

marrec

Banned
Stayed up late last night getting it playable on my rig.

Managed to squeeze out a near stable 30fps at 1080p with an AMD phenom II 955 be @3.9ghz and a 6950 2gb heavily overclocked. I can run it on high on campaign but for mp I had to drop it to low to stay 40-50 fps with people buzzing about. The funny part is I thought I'd be cpu and gpu limited, but I'm only gpu bottlenecked. Pascal can't get here any sooner!

Loving the game so far, pure carnage.

Oh, man, that reminds me. I'm getting beautiful performance out of this on my 8 y/o i7 920 and 8 y/o RAM.

Sure, I have a GTX 960, but it's not like that's an incredibly beefy card. I'm running everything on high with some stuff on Ultra and have only experienced noticeable frame drops in The Foundry level.

They did some magic optimization on this shit.

I want to finish this game but I don't at the same time. I don't want the magic to end :(
It doesn't have to end.

Am looking forward to replaying the hell out of this game. It seems perfect for loading up a level and just dipping into some mayhem for a bit, just like those old school shooters.

I ran into one glitch this morning. I think it was on level 7, where they introduce the ramming enemies.

There's a bot -- the ones you unlock weapon power-ups with -- the runs a path above the action.
You can reach it if you go up on a couple of boxes.
Anyways, I saw it, and tried to do that. As soon as I touched it, the game glitched and my camera changed so that it was as if I was INSIDE that bot. I could see parts of it, but parts were also missing, and I followed its path.

I eventually got loose and had been transported to the other end of the area.

A scripted door closed on me once while I was still moving through it and I got stuck inside the geometry.
That's fun that this particular geometry took you for a ride haha

The only other issue I've encountered so far is when I finished a level. The moment I hit the exit button my game and entire computer crashed and restarted. That was weird, but it only happened the one time.

Keikaku

If I'm going through the campaign and I miss a couple of combat challenges, can I still replay the level in level select to get them? If I do that, will the extra upgrade points still count towards the rest of my campaign?

I missed a couple of challenges on Foundry and I want to go back and do them. I'm just not sure that those upgrades will carry over into my next mission.

MiguelItUp

Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

32 here, this is me every shape and form. Couldn't agree more with this. Unfortunately haven't played yet, but I've watched a lot of footage but not TOO much. Cannot wait to get home and play, this vacation has been torture in a sense, lol.

The Flash

Banned
It doesn't have to end.

Am looking forward to replaying the hell out of this game. It seems perfect for loading up a level and just dipping into some mayhem for a bit, just like those old school shooters.

I bought the Doom pack on Steam to help with the pain. Never really played the old ones before but I want to now.

Oooof,awesome game but on Hell on Mars I cant take this anymore,I am done,enjoy guys,this is way too hard for me...would like to see the % of people who will finish this on nightmare or even normal on PS4...the % will probably say Ultra Rare.

Back to Uncharted 4 I go... ;)

I played with a controller on PC and did not find it harder to aim, the aim assist work well and even without it due to the nature of the game it isn't impossible to aim either.

bathsalts

I want to finish this game but I don't at the same time. I don't want the magic to end :(

I started a new playthrough on Nightmare as soon as I finished and am enjoying it even more the 2nd time round, the skill ceiling is much higher than most FPS so the longevity is there as you keep learning new things/get better at things you could only sometimes pull off.

Justinh

If I'm going through the campaign and I miss a couple of combat challenges, can I still replay the level in level select to get them? If I do that, will the extra upgrade points still count towards the rest of my campaign?

I missed a couple of challenges on Foundry and I want to go back and do them. I'm just not sure that those upgrades will carry over into my next mission.

Yeah, you can go back to old missions in the main menu. Upgrades and weapons will even go back with you and any more progress you make will be saved. I even did a lot of the weapon mastery requirements by going back to the first level and just ruining those possessed poor souls' day.

Rich get richer rune with the armor loot drop rune makes game sooo fun

J 0 E

I'm enjoying this game so fucking much!!

I've never played a game and replayed levels before finishing the game ... until now

Spoo

I started a new playthrough on Nightmare as soon as I finished and am enjoying it even more the 2nd time round, the skill ceiling is much higher than most FPS so the longevity is there as you keep learning new things/get better at things you could only sometimes pull off.

Yeah, playing on Nightmare after finishing Ultra Violence is pretty awesome. At first, you're surprised by how weak you feel, but you really don't need to sacrifice anything to overcome the challenges; it's faster, more intense, and there's not as much room for error, but all your skills acquired from knowing the environments and the spawns, prioritizing danger, etc., lead to victory over even the toughest fights. I'm only halfway through, so I know there's going to be a difficulty spike at hell and onward, but it is keeping the game fresh for an entire extra playthrough.

Neiteio

If you replay previous levels before continuing with new levels, do you retain your upgrades and get to bring back any new stuff you find?

Edit: Ah, appears so! Sweet!

Raptor

That's what I picked too. Just spent 2 hours on a battle. Last ready to dial it back considering how much it ramps up.

Wouldn't be such a kick in the balls if the load times on Xbox one weren't so long between deaths.

It took me like 10 tries to pass a section and Im loving it.

This game replayability is very high, between playibng levels again for collectibles and snapmap survival maps we are looking at a game that will live forever.

GOTY easily and best FPS I have ever played full stop.

ISee

Interesting how the enemy design evolved over time and how much better dooms (2016) design is over the original presentation(s) and doom 3.
(credit goes to steam user L1netty)

klk2y.jpg

Nokterian

Interesting how the enemy design evolved over time and how much better dooms (2016) design is over the original presentation(s) and doom 3.
(credit goes to steam user L1netty)

ID listened because it was to darn brown and dark colors from last year the amount of color added makes it so much better and being in line with the first doom.

DirtyLarry

Holy crap.

41 Years old here and I pretty much concur. Except not saying it is my GOTY. It is my FPS GOTY, easily, but may not be my all around GOTY. Only time will tell there.
But I do agree with everything else, and I do not like to play the age card, but I do think it is relevant here. As those of us who experienced the originals when they were released and now get to experience this modern iteration of those games all these years later, well I do think that matters. Absolutely.

Brizzo24

anyone attempt ultra nightmare yet ? im at mission 5 on nightmare and i feel like its gonna be tough as hell

I don't have a death wish ;)

I originally rented DOOM via redbox, for my PS4. I loved the game so much, and only fought my way through 4 complete missions during my rental, that I turned it in, traded in a few games to take advantage of GS' 50% promo and got myself a copy.

Now I can take my time, peruse the wonderful level design and look for as many secrets as possible. I don't want the campaign to end :( Like you guys say here, if there's plans for single-player DLC I would be ecstatic.

I really appreciate the weapon upgrades and progression system. They did that shit right. Each upgrade has merit, and provides the gameplay with more levels of strategy. I'm in the middle of the campaign, and already I have a fully upgraded machine gun with experimental bullets upon zoom in. It's the little things.

MiguelItUp

ID listened because it was to darn brown and dark colors from last year the amount of color added makes it so much better and being in line with the first doom.
That was my biggest problem with the demons in D3. I loved the way a lot of them looked, but they were all shades of brown.

Justinh

So even though there's no NG+, selecting missions is basically that? If so that's awesome

Haha, I suppose. It does give that feeling I guess. Just to note for other poster, I think you need to make sure you complete the level you're replaying to save progress, not just get to a checkpoint. Actually, I'm not sure about this...
Is the game scary at all

I wouldn't say it's scary. I thought that the original games were scary as a kid because I was getting myself in "i'm gonna die, I'm gonna die" situations, not exactly spoopy. This new game gives me that same feel.

Brizzo24

Is the game scary at all

I recently replayed the OG Dead Space, and that game, to me, is scary. It relies on the jump factors, and the creepy-ass enemies + Isaac's slower armored movement make for tense moments.

DOOM isn't "scary" in terms of jump factors. The fact that you move around the maps like a super-charged gun-totting soldier puts the odds in your favor. I guess you can say it's eerie based on the atmosphere, and of course it's bloody, but not "scary," no.

ISee

anyone attempt ultra nightmare yet ? im at mission 5 on nightmare and i feel like its gonna be tough as hell

There is only one difference between ultra nightmare and nightmare. You only have one life. The rest is supposed to bet he same, afaik.
And yes things will get now more and more and more difficult for you. Kadingir Sanctum (especially the later parts) will be your first true test ;)
I'm right now in the Lazarus labs and man... *sigh*

That's very generous of you. :)

(I already have the game so I'll pass.)

SkylineRKR

One thing is certain, it will be very hard for me to go back to the tropes of BF and CoD after this.

I always played Quake and UT way back, I never liked the gameplay in Medal of Honor for example. But as those games faded away, I ultimately came to terms with it and played lots of Battlefield online (and MW1 which was my last CoD).

But after having beaten Doom, I simply want this. Its a shame that the MP is a bit of a let down. They have this perfect twitch gameplay that even works reasonably well on console, why isn't the MP like this? As far as I see the MP doesn't even use the upgraded jump ability.

Nokterian

That was my biggest problem with the demons in D3. I loved the way a lot of them looked, but they were all shades of brown.

Every single screenshot was brown..no color whatsoever good thing it turned all around. Doom 3 demons where not on par with the ones from the even older ones. Only Pinky looked decent but it wasn't really pinky how it now looks in the new doom.

HiiiLife

Is the game scary at all

Nah. It isn't like Doom 3 how it felt like it catered more towards horror than balls out action (at least that's what I remember from Doom 3 lol flashlight and dark areas).

Aside from satanic demons, it's the classic Doom formula. You feel unstoppable.

HiiiLife

The last one took me the most tries on UV.

It would've been easier if I had mastered Siege and turret I think.

Came in with full BFG and maxed out Gauss for both mods. It was ridiculous easy compared to those earlier bosses lol.

Time to up the difficulty one more time.

I really love how much of GAF has embraced this game without any reviews. I wish that most games were like this, less dependent on scores from reviewers.

Hope this game sells and performs well.

Top Bottom