• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

razzel

I really love how much of GAF has embraced this game without any reviews. I wish that most games were like this, less dependent on scores from reviewers.

Hope this game sells and performs well.

Oh my gosh, please sell well. I need this to become a franchise again.

HiiiLife

Why does it feel like I can't ever find matches of freeze tag on Xbox one. West coast region.

The most unique game mode it has to offer and nobody plays it. Fuck this lol.

Finished this last night and found that all the bosses seem to go down quickest with precision mode gauss rifle and BFG (at least on normal). Anyone else found good weapons vs bosses?

Finished this last night and found that all the bosses seem to go down quickest with precision mode gauss rifle and BFG (at least on normal). Anyone else found good weapons vs bosses?
I've relied upon the gauss with a pinch of BFG, but I always soften them up with the chaingun, and it tears em up.

And man oh man is the gauss siege mode godly.

Just got the review code through and so far I have to say I'm loving it. Getting serious Wolfenstein The New Order vibes from this. It's exactly what it needed to be. So relieved after the multiplayer beta which I thought was a hot bag of shit.

Dat music, dat gameplay loop. Oh yes.

Jito

Banned
Ending spoilers
where the hell was the setup for hell on earth?! Pretty disappointed it didn't really set up for a sequel at all.
great game regardless!

For those playing on PC using controllers, how is it without auto-aim? That's my only concern with getting the PC version.

I'm playing with a 360 controller on PC and I really can't tell the difference between aim assist on and off. The aim assist seems very light. Your crosshairs don't really magnetize to enemies like CoD or anything.

24hr

Is the game worth the buy for the multiplayer only? What's the ranking system like, and is there room for competitive play?

Lorcain

Someone posted some pad gameplay with no aim assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HshWGSW9vSM

However, there is an option to turn it on if you wish.
Thanks...looks like controllers work well. Also, in that video he pulled out that demon's giant canine tooth and stabbed him in the face with it lol.

I'm playing with a 360 controller on PC and I really can't tell the difference between aim assist on and off. The aim assist seems very light. Your crosshairs don't really magnetize to enemies like CoD or anything.
Awesome. I'm looking forward to playing some old school Doom on PC.

I've relied upon the gauss with a pinch of BFG, but I always soften them up with the chaingun, and it tears em up.

And man oh man is the gauss siege mode godly.

Gauss rifle was def my go to gun by late game, siege mode is amazing for clearing those fucking annoying ass pinkies but it is o so satisfying to 2 shot mancubus with the precision mode too lol

Cmagus

Man Bethesda really needs to let Mick Gordon release this soundtrack it's so damn amazing. I'd buy this in a second if they release it.

tesqui

I like this game so much that I've stopped playing it. I don't want it to end. :(

I'm only playing 1 level per day at most.

Raptomex

Interesting how the enemy design evolved over time and how much better dooms (2016) design is over the original presentation(s) and doom 3.
(credit goes to steam user L1netty)
I think the QuakeCon Cacodemon looks better but just needs more color. The E3 Imp looks creepy and I kind of like it.

Mifec

Finished it. Amazing experience. Didn't like
the sequel hook at the end but eh.

Would recommend to anyone at full price, let alone the 45 bucks or so you can get it for PC.

Gonna skip the multiplayer as it's garbage.

pa22word

Ending spoilers
where the hell was the setup for hell on earth?! Pretty disappointed it didn't really set up for a sequel at all.
great game regardless!

The game name drops the icon of sin numerous times in the late game logs. Can you even imagine a 30 minute slaughterfest of continuously spawning mobs like the original boss fight, in this engine?

Doom 5 gonna be so sick ;-;

A-V-B

Ending spoilers
great game regardless!

The setup is there, but it's not blatant.
Hayden's goal is to send Hell energy to Earth, right? And he has a super futuristic cannon-type-thing that basically shoots it home. It's gonna happen. They just didn't show your dead rabbit in the final cutscene.

MiguelItUp

Every single screenshot was brown..no color whatsoever good thing it turned all around. Doom 3 demons where not on par with the ones from the even older ones. Only Pinky looked decent but it wasn't really pinky how it now looks in the new doom.
Oh yeah for sure, it was just crazy to think maybe it's just a brown filter. But then you look at the models externally and you're like, "nope, still brown !" I'm really happy with the new designs, especially the colors. D3 was a strange mixed bag with demon designs, loved some, didn't care for others. Still kinda sad there's no Pain Elemental in this, I want to see what it'd look like! Here's to hoping it'll appear in SP DLC or the sequel. :)

Slixshot

Banned
There was never a hint or preorder for "The Old Blood" for Wolfenstein, right? Isn't it possible we could get one of those for Doom then? Or am I wrong and was that part of a season pass?

HiiiLife

I've been neglecting the Gauss. Time to rectify that

Most satisfying gun in the game. The super shotty is a go to, but the siege mode on the rail gun just isn't fair to the demons. Craziest kill was when a hell knight was mid flight about to slam his fist down, but a charged shot took the top off of him as his lower half zoomed past me. Lol. It was awesome.

ezekial45

Banned
I played a couple snap maps, but they feel really, really limited compared to the main game. Is this the only way for people to create their own mods? I kinda wanted more to be honest. Also, I think it's a major letdown to give players a limited weapon setup (no mods and 2 weapon limit).

MiguelItUp

I played a couple snap maps, but they feel really, really limited compared to the main game. Is this the only way for people to create their own mods? I kinda wanted more to be honest. Also, I think it's a major letdown to give players a limited weapon setup (no mods and 2 weapon limit).
They did say that they planned on free updates for SnapMap overtime. Here's to hoping they're significant updates

feDtNdL.jpg

gsugddyjvdffddhdddd

Sane_Man

Positive word of mouth on here convinced me to buy this. Definitely no regrets so far! So fun to play and I'm not as shit as the Polygon dude, so there's that.

Sullichin

On the final boss, after dying a bunch of times I won just by going crazy with the super shotgun and BFG when available. It felt appropriate.

Kolgar

I am sorry to hear so many people don't like the multiplayer. Personally, I like it as much as pretty much any other online shooter. Maybe more, as the lack of healing creates an urgency to find health after every damaging skirmish. Plus, the armor and weapon customizations look awesome and most of the taunt animations are a hoot.

Just wish some of that awesome music found its way into and in between matches.

deoee

Suprises people have trouble with this one.

My worst rune is the death from above kills. I swear I'm midair when I prompt the glory kill.

I found it works more often if you jump above an enemy and then look down on it before pressing F to pay respects.

icespide

Banned
I'm really enjoying Doom so far but I've found myself way too OCD and paranoid about missing secrets/upgrades. Anyone else CONSTANTLY checking their map? Kinda wish I could just blow through it without worrying about missing things

I'm really enjoying Doom so far but I've found myself way too OCD and paranoid about missing secrets/upgrades. Anyone else CONSTANTLY checking their map? Kinda wish I could just blow through it without worrying about missing things
If it helps, just ignore it.

I'm doing the smallest bit of exploring, and almost never check the map, but am saving most of that for replays. Doubt I'll ever really use that map come to think of it.

Top Bottom