• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

The Flash

Banned
I teach game design, and I asked my students a week ago if anyone was excited for DOOM. It was met with a collective shrug, and noone was interested.

I followed up this week, after playing it all weekend long, and did my best effort at selling them the game by showing the nvidia footage at the start of class. I was met with students saying "nah my mates said it was shit". I asked if their mates had played it, and they said no. They then just talked about the overwatch beta for 10 mins.

I think I now understand why the industry is in the state that it is. Oh well. I tried.

I'm absolutely loving DOOM btw. It's weirdly scratching a metroid prime itch for me. I love exploring the maps.

Bring the game into class and make them play it.

That's pretty interesting. Well, it doesn't look like it will matter what they think, as the game is selling well. We're looking at a million and over seller at this point.

Source?

It's scratching a Metroid Prime itch for me, too, and I'm not sure why. They're obviously very different games, but they're... similarly satisfying? It's hard to explain. DOOM really makes me want another Metroid Prime, though.

Also, that's a bummer your class doesn't see the light. But perhaps in time!

I think the reward for exploration is there, and the jump is satisfying. I'd love to see Nintendo license this engine for a new Metroid Prime (and how is there no version of rocket league on Wii U with Mario karts!?!?) but I digress.. I'll still keep showing DOOM clips to my students, one of them will crack eventually!

Yagharek

In Duke Nukem, a challenge is invited when he says come get some. In halo, master chief talks tough and says I need a weapon.

Doom guy talks by cocking the shotgun. This game is metal.

Ghazi

I've had no problems alt-tabbing at all. However, it DOES do the annoying thing of not properly justifying to one monitor on a dual (or more I'm sure) monitor setup. At least it's not as bad as Battlefront though, where I'm trying to do stuff in-game and it's registering as me clicking on my desktop on my right monitor forcing it to minimize (ugh). Still really annoying.

I sure can. Maybe something wrong on your end?

Hm, I'm dual monitor as well and those key combos work just fine out of the game. Something's wrong, then, but no clue how to fix it.

Ixion

Funny how the game is so fucking good that now it's all praise here but i remember how a few months back it was quite the opposite.

I've been defending this game on here for the last two years, since I knew that most gamers would find a proper modern Doom game to feel really refreshing, and id Software seemed to completely get that after they scrapped Call of Doom.

I've never felt more vindicated in my life. lol

Don't follow the directions to set the brightness. It told me to set the brightness so the icon on the left is barely visible and I couldn't see anything.

I had the same issue as well. Followed its recommended brightness level which left me with horrible crushed blacks. I adjusted the gamma level to 0.9 in the display options and it fixed the problem. And yes, all the enhanced picture settings on my TV such as black level and sharpness are all turned off.

Really enjoyed the game. My only gripe about it is (spoiler about levels)....
There are only four hell levels.
I really enjoyed my time in them and was disappointed when I had to leave. Hopefully the season pass will offer more!

EDIT: Ixion is correct. Sorry for the misinformation. Spoiler has been corrected.

I think you need to somehow shoe-horn Doom into the course to force the students to play and appreciate it. haha

It would be interesting to set them a snap map task to see their design chops!

That's pretty interesting. Well, it doesn't look like it will matter what they think, as the game is selling well. We're looking at a million and over seller at this point.

This makes me happy!

Bring the game into class and make them play it.

This needs to happen! Would just be good to see what they think after actually playing the game. I'll set it up during break time and see what they think.

This makes me happy!

Yup, looking at the bigger picture here, this bodes well for more games like Doom in the future. Hopefully, we'll see other developers take a stab at these types of first person shooters, as there are just simply too few of these. And honestly, the one million+ figure that I said earlier is pretty conservative, really. I wouldn't be surprised it this ends up becoming a multi million seller when all is said and done.

Ah I see

Yeah I think at least 1 mil is a safe bet.

Honestly, one million + is a conservative number, really. I think this has the potential to easily be a multi million seller.

This game is fucking legit. Quit my first playthrough about halfway through and restarted on Nightmare, trying to 100% everything. I'm on stage 4 and adoring every second of it. Despite loving Doom and Doom 3, I had no hype for this at all and bought it solely off of the impressions in this thread. Worth every penny.

lazygecko

I would concur that the multiplayer actually is bad and not merely average. Worth noting that this is coming from someone who may as well be deemed hopelessly out of touch with what constitutes modern multiplayer FPS design. I haven't owned a console since the GameCube and haven't played any of the CoD or Halo games.

The base gameplay itself is pretty much fine, although the bursty gameplay with low health seems to favor the chaingun a bit too much. And the loadouts are just silly. But what really brings down the whole experience though is the demon rune mechanic which I don't like at all.

The game modes available is disappointing. Why is there no regular deathmatch? Why limit it to 6 players total? Why isn't there any form of coop available? Coop is one of the best things about the classic Doom games. Though I guess that's sort of what Snapmap is for.

I don't care for the arbitrary progression stuff one bit. I try to ignore it, but the game is just constantly assaulting my senses with messages that get in the way of the action.

But worst of all I think is how everything is structured around matchmaking with long, drawn out intermissions inbetween (and the game modes that aren't team deathmatch tend to be over quickly, to the point where I feel like I'm spending more time inbetween matches). There's virtually no social interaction between the player and no sense of community, making the entire thing just feel very fleeting and hollow experience. The multiplayer main menu says that dedicated servers are online, but I can't find any way to access these.

Liberty4all

Banned
For what it's worth, these are easily the best pad-based controls I've seen on a console shooter. Everything is so fast and smooth that I feel fully in control. You can of course adjust the sensitivity of everything, as well.

I'd at least try renting it. I think you'll quickly see this is the game you've been craving. :)

I'm debating this, battleborn or overwatch.

Doom because it's a throwback to what I grew up on,
Battleborn because I enjoy MOBAS (put years into Smite)
And Overwatch because, well Blizzard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow...I died on level 2 in Ultra Nightmare, lol.

Need to seriously watch out for imps charging a fireball.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man I can't remember the last time I felt like I wanted to savor as much of a game as possible. This game is doing it for me big time. I just beat
the fucking cyberdemon!!

I don't want this game to end! This has GOTY written all over it for me. Have loved every single second of this amazing campaign.

Zeliard

I would concur that the multiplayer actually is bad and not merely average. Worth noting that this is coming from someone who may as well be deemed hopelessly out of touch with what constitutes modern multiplayer FPS design. I haven't owned a console since the GameCube and haven't played any of the CoD or Halo games.

The base gameplay itself is pretty much fine, although the bursty gameplay with low health seems to favor the chaingun a bit too much. And the loadouts are just silly. But what really brings down the whole experience though is the demon rune mechanic which I don't like at all.

The game modes available is disappointing. Why is there no regular deathmatch? Why limit it to 6 players total? Why isn't there any form of coop available? Coop is one of the best things about the classic Doom games. Though I guess that's sort of what Snapmap is for.

I don't care for the arbitrary progression stuff one bit. I try to ignore it, but the game is just constantly assaulting my senses with messages that get in the way of the action.

But worst of all I think is how everything is structured around matchmaking with long, drawn out intermissions inbetween (and the game modes that aren't team deathmatch tend to be over quickly, to the point where I feel like I'm spending more time inbetween matches). There's virtually no social interaction between the player and no sense of community, making the entire thing just feel very fleeting and hollow experience. The multiplayer main menu says that dedicated servers are online, but I can't find any way to access these.

The MP is really limp, and so far removed from Doom and especially Quake, the latter of which some people feel the puzzling need to compare this game to. How is this anything like Quake?

Not only is there an XP system, which is already anathema to id's classic style, but it's tied to weapon unlocks and "hack modules" (and one of the categories is literally labeled "wallhack" - very Doom and Quake-like to be sure), instead of just cosmetics where it may have been tolerable. Almost all of the modes basically amount to FFA in practice, since there's almost nothing to incentive teamplay.

TTK is low, you're limited to two weapons per loadout, MP maps are cramped and allow for little room for tactical maneuvers and map-running for powerups, movement is slow, and the weapons are often cumbersome. Hitboxes feel gigantic, and the railgun has been turned into a typical sniper rifle complete with scope charge instead of the long-range instant hitscan it should be (keeping gameplay swift; nobody should be camping corners in this sort of game). There's a general sense that the skill ceiling is very low, with not a lot to divorce a very good player from a competent one.

I've given it a shot and done pretty well, but I can't say I'm having much fun. The SP was clearly given significant priority, which is fine if that's where id's interests and motivations lie, but the MP is just a mess.

G_Berry

Banned
The MP is really limp, and so far removed from Doom and especially Quake, the latter of which some people feel the puzzling need to compare this game to. How is this anything like Quake?

Not only is there an XP system, which is already anathema to id's classic style, but it's tied to weapon unlocks and "hack modules" (and one of the categories is literally labeled "wallhack" - very Doom and Quake-like to be sure), instead of just cosmetics where it may have been tolerable. Almost all of the modes basically amount to FFA in practice, since there's almost nothing to incentive teamplay.

TTK is low, you're limited to two weapons per loadout, MP maps are cramped and allow for little room for tactical maneuvers and map-running for powerups, movement is slow, and the weapons are often cumbersome. Hitboxes feel gigantic, and the railgun has been turned into a typical sniper rifle complete with scope charge instead of the long-range instant hitscan it should be (keeping gameplay swift; nobody should be camping corners in this sort of game). There's a general sense that the skill ceiling is very low, with not a lot to divorce a very good player from a competent one.

I've given it a shot and done pretty well, but I can't say I'm having much fun. The SP was clearly given significant priority, which is fine if that's where id's interests and motivations lie, but the MP is just a mess.
I agree that the MP is a mess but I think with a few carefully thought out patches, it could be a shit load better.

- Up the damage and speed.
- Include a pure DM mode.
- Include a "classic" mode with weapon pickups scattered around the map. no load outs.

It's not that far off and I'm sure given the time, the MP could've been fantastic. Such a stain on what's a pretty decent package of a game.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So I double dipped PC and PS4 this game is pretty amazing and their engine is really something to behold I have not seen it running on XB1 but its amazing on PC and PS4 I expect it to be the same there as well. Wonder if they will outsource this engine.... its fucking amazing.

psychotron

I'm getting a lot of frame drops on Argent Tower, especially on the area with the narrow walkways you need to scale and cross. This, on top of the quick stutter when I get a checkpoint....is my PS4 dying? It ran Uncharted 4 fine except for a few areas where it'd stutter, and Ratchet ran perfectly smooth. I tried rebuilding database already.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
When you get to hell this game goes from great to.... something else. Lots of weapons with lots of alt fires, great enemies to fight and the arenas get more and more elaborate. I even love all the story bits and little bits of info you get to read. Shooter campaigns don't get too much better than this.

w0s

This sounds dumb but what button confirm the weapon you want when you are in the weapon wheel? It must be something dumb I'm missing but it always seems like it times out and chooses and no matter what button I push it will never just select it.

psychotron

This sounds dumb but what button confirm the weapon you want when you are in the weapon wheel? It must be something dumb I'm missing but it always seems like it times out and chooses and no matter what button I push it will never just select it.

Don't push a button, just move the stick in its direction and let go of R1/RB

Just making the player movement as fast as it in SP would make MP miles better.

It just feels so slow in comparison, so I'm just mindlessly roaming trying to find someone since there's no incentive for power weapons in this game due to load outs.

Cmagus

Just making the player movement as fast as it in SP would make MP miles better.

It just feels so slow in comparison, so I'm just mindlessly roaming trying to find someone since there's no incentive for power weapons in this game due to load outs.
I hope if they make a sequel with MP they keep it the same as the campaign because you're right it would make the MP a million times better.It needs to be more fast paced and not trying to do what every other game does because that's honestly what makes the campaign so great..

Also this just might be my opinion but I honestly find some of the arena areas in the campaign far better designed then the multiplayer maps they have. I'm not saying the maps are bad but some of the arenas in the campaign wold make great multiplayer maps.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That guilt when you break down and youtube one of the secrets after combing the map countless times...

Congratulations on denying yourself the satisfaction of finding it yourself.

I hope it wasn't a classic map lever because those follow a pretty clear pattern of being near the door :mad:

G_Berry

Banned
The rocket launcher sucks in multiplayer, but it's great for taking out shield grunts in SP.
Speaking of the rocket launcher. How do I make it lock on to multiple targets? I hold L2 but it only locks onto 1 target. I can see an extra cross icon but I can't figure it out lol.

Trojan X

Banned
*bang table* That's it.

Please give id the ALIENS franchise and ask them to provide the FPS version of this frigging awesome arcade game:

tumblr_n4syfyF1af1tqwtt3o1_500.gif

tumblr_o5qqrzRC6W1sibomdo1_1280.gif

tumblr_o5qqrzRC6W1sibomdo2_1280.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKBRWrxlMDU

They don't need to change the formula. Everything is all there. Just keep the story the same as the books, together with some insanity looking Aliens and everything would be absolute heaven for Alien fans and FPS shooters alike.

Hupsel

Loving it so far. People sometimes compare it to The New Order but I think it just blows Wolfenstein away. TNO was way more linear and the weapons were not even that close to satisfying imo.

AEREC

Loving it so far. People sometimes compare it to The New Order but I think it just blows Wolfenstein away. TNO was way more linear and the weapons were not even that close to satisfying imo.

Just having to manually pick up ammo and armor ruined it for me. Did they ever patch in auto pickup?

I think people compare it to The New Order because it's another example of a classic id franchise coming back strong. I don't think most are actually comparing it gameplay-wise.

I thought TNO was amazing, personally. Haven't played DOOM yet (got it in the mail this week, just no time for it yet).

Hupsel

Just having to manually pick up ammo and armor ruined it for me. Did they ever patch in auto pickup?

I have no idea :X TNO was fairly average to me. Good shooting mechanics but everything else was kinda meh. But Doom... damn, I love all the little things here like the upgradable weapons, challenges, map design, crazy enemies....

epmode

No.

Can't say I ever found it to be a problem though. The game isn't as fast-paced as Doom, the pickup radius is pretty forgiving, and a few minor systems would break if items were automatically picked up (overcharging armor and/or health).

TP

I'm still salty about the bullshit demon configurations on the store page.

I've been steamrolling Nightmare since I picked up three weapons

But the one thing I am very happy about is that melee kills did end up being completely optional. I'm at a point where the game isn't going to get any harder and I can wreck shit without having to use them.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying this game.

I just finished level 5..most vertical level ever in a doom game? Just kept going up and up...wow so much fun!!

I'm playing on ultra violence and I have a question. Does anyone else feel that it would've made the game even better if they interspersed a few enemies between the arena fights even if it's just a random zombie or imp here and there? Sometimes it's just fun to toy with that one demon because you know they don't stand a chance lol.

I'm thinking something like dead space where you can randomly be ambushed by a loner here and then arrive to the big(and super fun) fights.

Top Bottom