• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

MiguelItUp

I'm not into single player but I love multiplayer games.

Grew up on unreal tournament, quake etc....

Will I like multiplayer?

I'd definitely watch some videos and come to your own conclusion to be honest. The campaign is phenomenal and is loved by the majority of the community. That being said, there ARE people that love the multiplayer quite a bit, while some do thing it's average, or worse. Personally I plan on playing it for awhile as soon as I'm done with the campaign, I enjoyed the alpha and betas so I can't see myself disliking it.

If anyone is still having doubts to either get this game or not. Buy it. Now.

If you grew up in the Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Hexen era you will absolutely love this.

The game truly opens up and starts to shine once you reach the 3rd mission.

Granted. I got my ass handed to me multiple times but it feels so damn rewarding once you complete a fight.

Neiteio

Will I like multiplayer?
The reason to get this game is the incredible single-player campaign, but honestly, you might be one of the people who really dig the multiplayer. It's been a mixed bag for some because it's not pushing the envelope on anything and it's a bit limited next to the campaign, but I think it's fun. It reminds me a lot of UT '99, albeit with limited loadouts (but you can switch loadouts during respawn, which is instant; you can also activate different perks during respawn).

The action is very fast-paced, jumping and double-jumping everywhere, shooting rockets and other high-impact weaponry, picking up health and armor packs. The rocket launcher is actually the default weapon of the default loadout, lol. When in doubt, throw a frag grenade for those sweet post-mortem Redemption kills. :)

I'd recommend watching some MP footage first (ideally from the final game), but it's a lot of fun. The multiplayer is an extra in this game, but it's one with many well-made maps and modes, some cool mechanics like the rune that turns you into a rampaging demon of your choice, and each match ends with you being showered in rewards (i.e. new perks, weapons, color schemes, cosmetic pieces, taunts, etc). Also keep an eye out for the chainsaw!

Ketch

If anyone is still having doubts to either get this game or not. Buy it. Now.

If you grew up in the Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Hexen era you will absolutely love this.

The game truly opens up and starts to shine once you reach the 3rd mission.

Granted. I got my ass handed to me multiple times but it feels so damn rewarding once you complete a fight.

Did they fix the issues with AMD cards? I really want to buy it, but in worried it won't run well on my R290

pa22word

Did they fix the issues with AMD cards? I really want to buy it, but in worried it won't run well on my R290

AMD released new drivers that helped a lot, but I wouldn't expect performance to be up to nvidia's par until Vulkan version releases. AMD opengl curse will haunt them forever man =\

//DEVIL//

Because the devs of the multiplayer wanted to try their damndest to turn the game into Halo instead of making multiplayer doom.
I dont know what multiplayer doom to you since you probably have an experience in a previous online doom game before. But so far this is great experience for me.

Liberty4all

Banned
The reason to get this game is the incredible single-player campaign, but honestly, you might be one of the people who really dig the multiplayer. It's been a mixed bag for some because it's not pushing the envelope on anything and it's a bit limited next to the campaign, but I think it's fun. It reminds me a lot of UT '99, albeit with limited loadouts (but you can switch loadouts during respawn, which is instant; you can also activate different perks during respawn).

The action is very fast-paced, jumping and double-jumping everywhere, shooting rockets and other high-impact weaponry, picking up health and armor packs. The rocket launcher is actually the default weapon of the default loadout, lol. When in doubt, throw a frag grenade for those sweet post-mortem Redemption kills. :)

I'd recommend watching some MP footage first (ideally from the final game), but it's a lot of fun. The multiplayer is an extra in this game, but it's one with many well-made maps and modes, some cool mechanics like the rune that turns you into a rampaging demon of your choice, and each match ends with you being showered in rewards (i.e. new perks, weapons, color schemes, cosmetic pieces, taunts, etc). Also keep an eye out for the chainsaw!

It sounds old school. Which means I'll love it.

pa22word

I dont know what multiplayer doom to you since you probably have an experience in a previous online doom game before. But so far this is great experience for me.

This is a pretty silly thing to say considering anyone can see they easily could have lopped off about 8 different areas in the second half of the single player game and used them for 4 player death match arenas.

rdytoroll

How is the single player so good and the multiplayer so SO bad? It is horseshit, a waste of time, terrible and who made the multiplayer? It's so cloying and I'm embarrased FOR the people that made it. Holy shit. I only had to play a few matches and decide to wash my hand of it; those that made it wasted time on it that they will never get back. Oh my god.

Oh Lord, the hyperbole! I'm embarrassed for this post.

The multiplayer is fun and satisfying enough and I don't think the developers really need you feeling bad for them. Of course the single player is better, but making the MP out to be some work of the devil? Pretty hilarious

Neiteio

Multiplayer really is a lot of fun. All I need to try now is SnapMap. If I can have some fun with that, this game will really be three for three in terms of its offerings. But like I said, the campaign is king. I would've paid full price for the campaign alone.

Kathian

Banned
Fucking hell I've not seen a game train you up and pull off the wheels so well for years. This is such a well thought out and well made game.

Is this game worth getting on an:

I7 4770k
16gb ram
Gtx 760 2gb Asus strix

I keep seeing mixed impressions.

Yes if people are worried turn the settings down. Am playing on low and its still great.

I liked the game, and think it's a quality title. I just don't know if it's something I really want to replay. It's got a lot of repetitive arenas, and once may have been enough. (I know some people love replaying that stuff, though.)

I ended up picking it up, so maybe I'll revisit it down the road. I do need to play more SnapMap and multiplayer, though.

When I went to the library today, the two copies (different versions) I'd held were on the shelf waiting for me. I'd cancelled the holds, but I guess they didn't notice, so they'd been sitting there for a couple of days. I felt bad, because surely others would've wanted them.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm really enjoying it. Like I said, it feels like UT '99. Maybe it's not the deepest MP shooter, but I think it's a blast to play if you just want to have fun.

When I was 22 I played hundreds of hours upon hours of UT99. The mod/mapmaking scene was amazing with map after map churned out. I'm hesitant though partly because that was on PC. Not sure how it will feel on a PS4. Thinking though I might pick this up for nostalgia sake. With games costing 80 bucks up here I gotta pick and choose carefully.

Neiteio

When I was 22 I played hundreds of hours upon hours of UT99. The mod/mapmaking scene was amazing with map after map churned out. I'm hesitant though partly because that was on PC. Not sure how it will feel on a PS4. Thinking though I might pick this up for nostalgia sake. With games costing 80 bucks up here I gotta pick and choose carefully.
For what it's worth, these are easily the best pad-based controls I've seen on a console shooter. Everything is so fast and smooth that I feel fully in control. You can of course adjust the sensitivity of everything, as well.

I'd at least try renting it. I think you'll quickly see this is the game you've been craving. :)

HF2014

Will I like multiplayer?

Multiplayer got lots of critics, but if you like me enjoy Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, Quake 3 arena, i found the beta better than expected. Sure the limit of two weapon sucks a bit, but i found it fun, and after i finish single player, im probably going to buy a 3 month ps plus to have some fun online.

Its bring back some of the old school gameplay, with some new twist. But if you buy it, seriously, give a try to single player. Tought single player fps were dead, this one is just great.

nakedeyes

Banned
How is the single player so good and the multiplayer so SO bad? It is horseshit, a waste of time, terrible and who made the multiplayer? It's so cloying and I'm embarrased FOR the people that made it. Holy shit. I only had to play a few matches and decide to wash my hand of it; those that made it wasted time on it that they will never get back. Oh my god.

The single player though? It makes up for all of that in the best ways. Can't wait to cut my teeth on the one-life difficulty.

What is with everyone's disgust for the multiplayer? I mean, its simplistic, and doesn't really have anything unique going for it, but why do people actively HATE it? lol!

I mean, the original Doom I and II weren't really blowing any doors off with their multiplayer. It was just deathmatch. This game does ok at that. Its just not anything particularly special.

//DEVIL//

This is a pretty silly thing to say considering anyone can see they easily could have lopped off about 8 different areas in the second half of the single player game and used them for 4 player death match arenas.
What is silly dear is how u ignored my first comment where I said I didnt play more than 10 minutes of sp. i jumped online to multiplayer and I am having a blast with it.

HF2014

Im playing on PS4, it feel good, but as a console sucker and pc hater, i must admit, having a pc that could run it at max, i would choose the keyboard- mouse combo. Its fast paced, i feel i need more control, its not like COD, Titanfall which were more slow paced.

But its not bad, guess all ps4 players have to deal with the same handicap.

Doom Twitter account justed tweeted this

UXorlrP.png

I think it's safe to say that we'll get a sequel now

But where's that IGN 7.1 review

MiguelItUp

You can't alt-tab or win-D with this game, what a joke.

I've had no problems alt-tabbing at all. However, it DOES do the annoying thing of not properly justifying to one monitor on a dual (or more I'm sure) monitor setup. At least it's not as bad as Battlefront though, where I'm trying to do stuff in-game and it's registering as me clicking on my desktop on my right monitor forcing it to minimize (ugh). Still really annoying.

I teach game design, and I asked my students a week ago if anyone was excited for DOOM. It was met with a collective shrug, and noone was interested.

I followed up this week, after playing it all weekend long, and did my best effort at selling them the game by showing the nvidia footage at the start of class. I was met with students saying "nah my mates said it was shit". I asked if their mates had played it, and they said no. They then just talked about the overwatch beta for 10 mins.

I think I now understand why the industry is in the state that it is. Oh well. I tried.

I'm absolutely loving DOOM btw. It's weirdly scratching a metroid prime itch for me. I love exploring the maps.

Neiteio

I teach game design, and I asked my students a week ago if anyone was excited for DOOM. It was met with a collective shrug, and noone was interested.

I followed up this week, after playing it all weekend long, and did my best effort at selling them the game by showing the nvidia footage at the start of class. I was met with students saying "nah my mates said it was shit". I asked if their mates had played it, and they said no. They then just talked about the overwatch beta for 10 mins.

I think I now understand why the industry is in the state that it is. Oh well. I tried.

I'm absolutely loving DOOM btw. It's weirdly scratching a metroid prime itch for me. I love exploring the maps.
It's scratching a Metroid Prime itch for me, too, and I'm not sure why. They're obviously very different games, but they're... similarly satisfying? It's hard to explain. DOOM really makes me want another Metroid Prime, though.

Also, that's a bummer your class doesn't see the light. But perhaps in time!

But where's that IGN 7.1 review
They gave this a 7.1???

I really think that the community in general really wanted to hate on this game at first, bitching about the piss filter, the glory kills... which i always thought was a load of bs, to me this game looked amazing from its revealed until now.

To me it seems like some publications like ign got carried away by those opinions and decided to jump on the hate train without giving it much thought.

Funny how the game is so fucking good that now it's all praise here but i remember how a few months back it was quite the opposite.

Well, I'm just happy we got this amazing game.

By the way, the sound on this game is just incredible. I think I've never heard cleaner sound coming out of my v-moda headphones, it's crushing.

hlhbk

Is it meant to be so dark at the beginning, I'm struggling to see where I'm going, let alone seeing enemies.

Don't follow the directions to set the brightness. It told me to set the brightness so the icon on the left is barely visible and I couldn't see anything.

Neiteio

They gave this a 7.1???

I really think that the community in general really wanted to hate on this game at first, bitching about the piss filter, the glory kills... which i always thought was a load of bs, to me this game looked amazing from its revealed until now.

To me it seems like some publications like ign got carried away by those opinions and decided to jump on the hate train without giving it much thought.

Funny how the game is so fucking good that now it's all praise here but i remember how a few months back it was quite the opposite.

Well, I'm just happy we got this amazing game.

By the way, the sound on this game is just incredible. I think I've never heard cleaner sound coming out of my v-moda headphones, it's crushing.
They actually removed the piss filter. All of the characters now have their bright original colors. And the glory kills turned out to be awesome. :)

KrisB

I think you need to somehow shoe-horn Doom into the course to force the students to play and appreciate it. haha

That's pretty interesting. Well, it doesn't look like it will matter what they think, as the game is selling well. We're looking at a million and over seller at this point.

Top Bottom