• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

SMG

This game is amazing on nightmare mode.

Also, I loaded up Doom 3 for kicks and, man, it feels so weird coming from the new Doom. I love Doom 3 but it's so so SO slow and suddenly feels ancient in a weird way.

Doom 3 always sucked.

Raptor

5WGfu97.gif

GLORIOUS GOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!

Hixx

Can't remember the last single player campaign (especially a FPS one at that) which constantly had me wanting to go back immediately after turning it off. It's just fun as hell.

I impulse bought it because I could get it off Amazon for £26 and if I didn't like it I could have sold it on for at least £30, so little risk. But I'll not be selling it any time soon. Already planning to replay to find all the hidden stuff and I don't think I'm halfway through yet!

I don't know if it's because I'm drunk but jesus these secrets are hard to find

The only ones difficult to find are the levers because they blend in with the environment so much. Otherwise, it's as simple as looking at your map and noticing, "Oh, that area is gray. Gotta go check that out I guess."

mokeyjoe

In the older games I think it was easier to be ambushed and run out of ammo.

With mouse look they were still pretty easy. I'm not a particularly good gamer and even I found Ultraviolence to be 'normal'. Ultimate Doom and the ensuing megawads were much more challenging. The first game was perfectly playable with just the keyboard, which is how I first completed it.

This game's a little bit tougher I think. I wouldn't want to try it keyboard only, lol. Just finished it on Hurt Me Plenty and died a few times on certain bits. Mainly me being careless. Playing on Ps4 so no mouse unfortunately. I imagine that would be easier.

In general, I think the game mechanics are excellent. There's still room for some balance tweaks though.

AFAIK your collectibles are permanently saved on contact.

That said, you can just blow yourself up and replay from the last checkpoint if it's only a fluke scripting error.

I'm stuck in the room regardless of how many times I respawn, sadly. It's really annoying that the game can ship with bugs like this. Regardless, at least my collectibles are saved and the level was fun to play!

razzel

Best game of this generation by a long shot, can't stop playing!! We absolutely need more single player content. I wish they would just scrap the season pass, nobody wants 40 bucks worth of multiplayer maps, we want campaign content and snapmap updates!

That being said, I'm honestly shocked to see so many comparisons to recently released Wolfenstein games. What I remember of those games there was a lot of cutscenes, slow walking segments, and a surprisingly strong emphasis on stealth...Pretty much the opposite of what Doom is going for lol. I remember being disappointed because I wanted them to be what Doom ended up being.

The Flash

Banned
Thanks to SunhiLegend's gif I feel very inspired to make my own little Doom thingamajig as well and before you ask, yes, this will be incorporated in it.

don't know if it's because i'm stoned but, god damn, the secret maps are becoming a real pain in the ass to find...

Nope, they are really well hidden, I actually found more levers but I couldn't find the fucking doors into the areas.

The only one I figured out was the one in like level 1 or 2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nope, they are really well hidden, I actually found more levers but I couldn't find the fucking doors into the areas.

The only one I figured out was the one in like level 1 or 2.
I'm the exact opposite. Finding these fucking levers is killing me. It's always pretty obvious where the door is if you look at the map.

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
fuckin levers man...shit blends in. gonna take a break i think..check what condition my condition is in lol.

Anybody elses ps4 fan go into over drive? really gettin on my tits..don't want it to die before the neo is released. that would be a massive bummer..

Brannon

How is the single player so good and the multiplayer so SO bad? It is horseshit, a waste of time, terrible and who made the multiplayer? It's so cloying and I'm embarrased FOR the people that made it. Holy shit. I only had to play a few matches and decide to wash my hand of it; those that made it wasted time on it that they will never get back. Oh my god.

The single player though? It makes up for all of that in the best ways. Can't wait to cut my teeth on the one-life difficulty.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone complain when movies get those lines like best movie of x year 2 months in.

Looking at list of shooters coming. Nothing will come close to doom. Cod battlefield are entirely different. Shadow warrior will get delayed

pa22word

Some of those quotes are crazy. "Best shooter of 2016!" Only five months in with a decent amount of shooters still set for release.

Yeah man totally! I mean that uber awesome SP expansion that'll probably come out later this year will almost definitely kick the ass of the main game.

Neiteio

Does anyone complain when movies get those lines like best movie of x year 2 months in.

Looking at list of shooters coming. Nothing will come close to doom. Cod battlefield are entirely different. Shadow warrior will get delayed
The only thing that could top DOOM... is an expansion to DOOM.

C'mon id, Bethesda, pull a Bloodborne where we get the game now and a meaty expansion this holiday!

One underrated feature I absolutely love is that enemies will follow you nearly anywhere. You can't just hide behind a box and pepper enemies till they die. Even Mancubi and Pinkies will leap 2 stories just to find you. Stuff like this is just great.

This.
Also enemies will just fucking come looking for you. I just started the Advanced Research Complex and sat idle while I was doing something else and a Mancubi managed to slowly work its way over to me.

Plus, try initiating encounters in non locked-down areas, those guys will just follow you around the whole level, regardless if you are 2 rooms away or behind a door. Something I came across while hunting for secrets and avoiding enemies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Titanfall 2 is the only SP shooter I think has a chance of coming close to this in quality but that's just blind faith in the people making it and even if it's good, it'll be a very good shooter in the vein of ones we have a lot of.

Shadow Warrior 2 is the only one with a similar feel and after the first game, I doubt it can approach the quality of Doom. SW1 was fun but overly long, repetive, and guns lacked punch.

I'm the exact opposite. Finding these fucking levers is killing me. It's always pretty obvious where the door is if you look at the map.

Lol Maybe if we unite together, we can compensate for each others weaknesses and find these motherfucking secrets in these motherfucking levels.
on this motherfucking plane! Sorry I couldn't resist myself.

Fuck, that just makes me want COOP for the campaign.

Teaming up to find secrets sounds awesome.

Also, one of the levers you literally have to double jump platform around these pipes to get to a lever... with a gaping precipice below and Lost souls trying to kill you.

bounchfx

Chaingun is awesome once you fully upgrade one of its paths. Rockets are awesome in general, and more so if you go down the remote detonation path.

Stagger range should be ~20% of the remaining HP or so. I don't think there's anything that stands up to a single super shotgun blast or rocket once they go down, save for maybe a baron of hell.

yeah, I need to go through again and find different upgrade paths.

I did get remote detonation (fully upgraded), It's fun, but still direct hits do next to nothing to most monsters from my experience, and I'm only playing on normal. As far as stagger goes, even an imp that was staggered WOULD NOT DIE even after being shot non stop with a shotgun/machine gun from a medium range away. Pulse rifle ended it quick but man some enemies just really, really resist certain weapons, especially at a distance (aka that one caecodemon took almost 20 rockets, direct hit. I don't even)

it's not an issue most of the time but it doesn't seem intentional either since it feels broken

pa22word

Damn am I regretting not taking that ammo upgrade vs health on my nightmare run ;-;

Foundry is straight up kicking my ass, but in a pleasant way only DOOM could <3

//DEVIL//

Not sure what is everyone problem with the multiplayer. I am actually having a blast with it to the point I didn't play the single player more than 20 minutes before jumping back online.

Super fun and addictive. I only noticed somehow the speed online is less than the single player and I am not sure what is the reason behind it bit no complains.

This game is like my fps of the year. Impressive work and money well spent

pa22word

Super fun and addictive. I only noticed somehow the speed online is less than the single player and I am not sure what is the reason behind it bit no complains.

Because the devs of the multiplayer wanted to try their damndest to turn the game into Halo instead of making multiplayer doom.

Top Bottom