• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I actually like the demon rune system in multiplayer. It gives this Doom it's own identity with a unique mechanic. It's also "fair" in that it's a specific spawn the teams have to fight over and it can be captured from a killed demon.

Personally I'd just like to see a mode with conventional weapon pick ups + the demon rune. Perhaps make the demon you get standardized, and randomly selected at the start of each match.

The one thing I wish for the journal entries is that they would have had VEGA narrate them all with his dry, academic tone. It would have made some of them pretty amusing.

It really doesn't. It has a DOOM touch to it.

DOOM had open level design nearly 10 years before metroid prime came out. Silly fan boys slapping "FPA" label on it because they'd never played a pc shooter before doesn't really change that.

The platforming feels like Metroid Prime.

The map and how you use it feels like Metroid Prime.

The way the lore is presented feels like Metroid Prime.

The boss fights really feel like Metroid Prime.

IMO.

IMO.

I agree. I played Doom I & II long ago, loved them, and this game has a LOT in common (duh).

But it also has some Prime feel to it. And there is nothing wrong with that.

pa22word

IMO.
Or-metroid prime feels a lot more like the other shooters that came out of texas before it did than fanboys would like to admit.
Quake and unreal both came out years and years before metroid prime did. The only really new thing that prime did was slap a metroid coat of paint on it.

Leatherface

Okay so I beat the game, which was omg awesome and now I'm trying to play snap maps and it is a ghost town. I'm on PC, is this normal or is there something wrong? I should be good on the firewall business. Surely there are more people than zero? Right? :'(

Mr. Sam

Prime placed an emphasis on exploration and platforming that id's games never really did - that's not say that exploration and platforming wasn't in, or even innovated, the id games.

Raven117

HAHA,
This game rocks...They nailed that heavy metal, shotgunning, demon ripping Doom feel.

The rhythm is a lot like Hotline Miami in a way.

jblank83

Quake and unreal both came out years and years before metroid prime did. The only really new thing that prime did was slap a metroid coat of paint on it.

That coat of paint consists of some pretty significant features, such as movement abilities very much unlike anything in the Quake lineage (morph ball, etc), environmental puzzles that were, again, very much unlike anything to be found in the Quake-engine games, scanning, tight resource management, and console/Nintendo style boss design. Those were things that were very much "Metroid/Nintendo" wedded to Western first person games.

I played just about every shooter from Wolf 3D onwards and I can't think of anything like Prime before Prime, unless I reduce the entirety of the game to "first person shooting". The closest would probably be Half Life, with its heavy emphasis on exploration. Prime isn't Metroid but in first person or FPS with a Metroid skin. It's absolutely a hybrid of both.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Doom was how much the level design reminded me Prime. That is, how much exploration there is. I absolutely didn't think "this is classic Doom", no matter how much the marketing pushes that angle.

That's not a bad thing. Doom 2016 is its own thing and that's great.

lazygecko

That coat of paint consists of some pretty significant features, such as movement abilities very much unlike anything in the Quake lineage (morph ball, etc), environmental puzzles that were, again, very much unlike anything to be found in the Quake-engine games, scanning, tight resource management, and console/Nintendo style boss design. Those were things that were very much "Metroid/Nintendo" wedded to Western first person games.

I played just about every shooter from Wolf 3D onwards and I can't think of anything like Prime before Prime, unless I reduce the entirety of the game to "first person shooting". The closest would probably be Half Life, with its heavy emphasis on exploration. Prime isn't Metroid but in first person or FPS with a Metroid skin. It's absolutely a hybrid of both.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Doom was how much the level design reminded me Prime. That is, how much exploration there is. I absolutely didn't think "this is classic Doom", no matter how much the marketing pushes that angle.

That's not a bad thing. Doom 2016 is its own thing and that's great.

Unreal was pretty close to what Metroid Prime was doing. Mostly in an atmospheric and story beat sense, but it did also have stuff like scanning the environment for clues/narrative and an upgradeable basic energy weapon. It was also planned to have nonlinear style progression which was scrapped, but there were some traces left of it in the final product.

I didn't spend an incredible amount of time with it but I do agree that it reminded me of Metroid Prime in terms of the platforming and general look even at times. I played Unreal and all the others mentioned to death back in the day, yet Metroid Prime specifically popped in my head.

The exploration however, no. Maybe if Metroid Prime had been beaten on its head with a stick about twenty times.

k1t4j

Holy shit, I just played the demo on the X1 and I absolutely loved it. I had no idea I needed this in my life. The fast gameplay, the finishing moves that OST. I need that OST in my life.

Bought!

IMO.

I agree. Now, of course, Metroid Prime carries the same shooter DNA that every other FPS does, which is Doom. It's somewhat meta.

But yeah, there's a touch of Prime, and again, that's a good thing. Loved Doom and Quake, never liked Prime much due to some irritating design decisions, so it's nice that this game feels like the things that are good about Metroid Prime but in a, to me, much better vessel.

And just shouting things to the effect that Metroid not the original carrier of its ideas doesn't really change that it feels like Metroid Prime. We all know the origin of these types of games, no real point in flying the flag of ye old farts.

NEO0MJ

And just shouting things to the effect that Metroid not the original carrier of its ideas doesn't really change that it feels like Metroid Prime. We all know the origin of these types of games, no real point in flying the flag of ye old farts.

People are forgetting that most FPS games were still PC centric and old so many console gamers didn't get to experience. Heck, even Metroid Prime is almost 15 years old now!

Holy shit, I just played the demo on the X1 and I absolutely loved it. I had no idea I needed this in my life. The fast gameplay, the finishing moves that OST. I need that OST in my life.

Bought!

Nice, I hope this free demo gets plenty more people on board. This is one of the best SP games this gen.

Cindro

Just ran through the demo twice.

I like it, but it was very, uh - red. Made my eyes strain after a while.

Obviously it makes sense, since the level takes place on Mars, but does the rest of the game use the same grim color palette?

Also - how much more is there to the game in terms of surprises and new mechanics? Is the first level from the demo pretty representative of the whole game, or is it just the tip of the iceberg?

lazygecko

The levels are different enough thematically and color-wise. One of the later maps in VEGA's cooling system is very cold and blue for instance, even in the outdoors Mars sections which was a nice touch. The bulk of the game is arena fights separated by intervals of corridor exploration. Foundry (level 2) is probably the one that deviates the most from the formula and is really sprawling and non-linear with more pre-placed enemies.

norm9

Just ran through the demo twice.

I like it, but it was very, uh - red. Made my eyes strain after a while.

Obviously it makes sense, since the level takes place on Mars, but does the rest of the game use the same grim color palette?

Also - how much more is there to the game in terms of surprises and new mechanics? Is the first level from the demo pretty representative of the whole game, or is it just the tip of the iceberg?

How longs the demo? I have limited downloads, so if it's just one level, I'll just wait for a crazy sale.

Kind of off topic but I was snapmapping the other day and I got the urge to play DOOM 1 and 2 again, so I did...played through some of Doom 2, and then I decided I wanted to make levels/campaigns for DOOM 2, and so I downloaded DoomBuilder 2.

Anyway, I've having a lot of fun and I'm surprised how easy it is to get a basic map going and functioning.

In a lot of ways it is like a more in-depth Snapmap.

I just think it is interesting that content creation is definitely a huge part of DOOM's identity and I never really thought about it before. I hope that they can update Snapmap to be more flexible, at least maybe on PC if the consoles are limited. I'd love to see what the community could come up with, especially with tools that are more powerful.

Now I'm not expecting to see 3000 revenant battles or whatever like you can do in the old games because I feel DOOM 2016 has a far more complicated engine, and who knows how much hardware you'd need to push something like that with the detail of the new IDtech engine.

Cindro

How longs the demo? I have limited downloads, so if it's just one level, I'll just wait for a crazy sale.
One level. I downloaded it, played it, deleted it, and bought the real game promptly thereafter.

And I'm very glad I did - it's so badass. But I am TERRIBLE at the multiplayer. WOW do I ever let my teammates down.

The first level is definitely just the tip of the iceberg. As the game goes on you get introduced to a ton of new weapons, upgrades, and enemies. There are like 2-3 forms of upgrades that aren't even available on the first level, so the game has way more depth than it leads you to believe.

Lux R7

Just completed the demo, as a 29yo boy i think this version of doom is FUCKING AMAZING. I'm gonna buy this shit soon.

Siegmeyer

Bought!

This is exactly my experience (except PS4, not X1, and not bought - yet). So fast, and so fun. Can't think of any shooter that plays like this (although I'm not exactly an expert on the genre).

Will definitely be picking it up at some point.

Bradach

20 years ago I played the original Doom listening to Beck on repeat. This evening I'll be sitting down with this on PS4 with Beck ready to go. Such nostalgia :)

ahartig

Played the demo on X1 and its amazing. The intro when you are going up the elevator to the outside of the planet with the insanely crunchy, gothic, industrial theme roaring in the background, gave me goosebumps. Mick Gordon is a genius. They need to release the OST ASAP. Had to resort to listening to it in my office via YouTube. My coworkers must have thought I was performing an exorcism or something.

Really want to purchase digitally, it has to go on sale soon I would imagine?

TheFuzz

I came back to say that some of the arenas before the Cyberdemon gave me more trouble that the demon itself. But my goodness, the boss fight was insanely fun. I want to play him again.

So I've heard the game gets better after the first level. I played the demo last night and thought it was entertaining but not mind blowing like many make the game out to be. Does it just keep escalating and getting better and better, or is all I can expect from later levels simply more weapons and enemies to use them on. Basically, doors the gameplay get more intricate, engaging and varied as it goes on?

I played on the highest difficulty available in the demo BTW. Do you have to best the game to unlock higher ones?

Ixion

Basically, doors the gameplay get more intricate, engaging and varied as it goes on?

Both the arena spaces and the levels themselves become more open-ended and intricate. Also, the combat itself becomes more complex as more and more weapons, enemies, and power-ups are introduced, along with the more complex arenas.

hunchback

Thanks everyone for the tips. I have been able to play despite my disability. Your suggestions helped.

Quick question. If I go back and replay the first mission, will they have ammo for the new weapons I have collected? Will the pulse rifle ammo drop for me in the very first mission when I go back for collectibles?

I just got to the Foundry. Damn that level is huge and I know I'm missing stuff. I also ran into a new monster. He's huge and closes fast. I can kill him but he take alot of my health. Oh, those blue shield guy's are a pain in the ass. They can turn pretty quick.

Moff

So I've heard the game gets better after the first level. I played the demo last night and thought it was entertaining but not mind blowing like many make the game out to be. Does it just keep escalating and getting better and better, or is all I can expect from later levels simply more weapons and enemies to use them on. Basically, doors the gameplay get more intricate, engaging and varied as it goes on?

I played on the highest difficulty available in the demo BTW. Do you have to best the game to unlock higher ones?

nightmare looks locked but you can play it from start, there is only one locked difficulty and that is ultra nightmare with permadeath
make sure to play on nightmare

I didn't like the game after the first level, you have to learn how it wants to be played, and as lxion said, the weapons get so much better and more fun, the standard gun and shotgun are really lame. after a few hours I realized this is one of the best shooters ever and easily the best one of the last 10 years. I absolutely love it.

Pakesaker

Just finished my first playthrough last night. Really enjoyed it from start to finish. Definitely up there for my personal game of the year along with Uncharted 4.

Quick question. If I go back and replay the first mission, will they have ammo for the new weapons I have collected? Will the pulse rifle ammo drop for me in the very first mission when I go back for collectibles?

No, the pickups in the levels themselves don't change when you go back. What you can do, though, is simply whip out the chainsaw and go to town on a random enemy to make them spew out a ton of ammo. Always remember that chainsaw = ammo pinata!

I just got to the Foundry. Damn that level is huge and I know I'm missing stuff. I also ran into a new monster. He's huge and closes fast. I can kill him but he take alot of my health. Oh, those blue shield guy's are a pain in the ass. They can turn pretty quick.

The shield guys are arguably some of the most annoying in the game. One of the best ways to deal with them is to unlock the Plasma Rifle's stun mod and hit 'em with it. As soon as you do, their shields will be taken offline for a few seconds which gives you just enough time to blow their asses away.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The game keeps adding weapons and enemy types, the first level pretty dry since you're just fighting basic garbage enemies with the pistol for most of it.

JimiNutz

Banned

It gets better and better and better.
By the time you have all the weapons the game starts throwing insane shit at you that completely changes the way you have to play the game (in comparison to the early levels).

It becomes way more frantic, way more intense and way more fun, especially if you're playing on Ultra Violence or Nightmare.

drotahorror

Beat it this morning. Probably tied for my favorite game of 2016. It was great, also a top 10 best FPS of all time.

Best soundtrack of 2016 for sure. Doubt a game will top that.

Cindro

There are only a handful of shooters I *really* like - Halo 3, Perfect Dark, and Goldeneye

This game, though a little *too* red and dark for my tastes, is AWESOME. Just gloriously tense and badass throughout every level

Just beat the last
Argent Tower mission, now warping to hell
. Hope the next set of environments varies the scenery up a little, but either way, everything else about this game rules

Just beat the last
Argent Tower mission, now warping to hell
. Hope the next set of environments varies the scenery up a little, but either way, everything else about this game rules

Hell will blow your mind with its awesomeness. The first Hell level is possibly my favorite out of the entire game for numerous reasons.

So i brought this game after playing the demo, goddam is it good. I've only just beat level 3, barely dying now, despite playing on the hardest difficulty.... Which is good, because i was getting rekt at first!

Combat is fun, challenging and rewarding!

Fliesen

i must've missed a few demons in the 3rd mission.
Also, i didn't complete the "3 infected with 1 barrel explosion" challenge.

Can i just replay that mission at a later time (like, after mission 6, with mission select) and will that give me the upgrade points for mission 7?
Or do i need to replay it right now, for my upgrade point to carry over?

I'd like to do a 100% playthrough the first time around.

Moff

i must've missed a few demons in the 3rd mission.
Also, i didn't complete the "3 infected with 1 barrel explosion" challenge.

Can i just replay that mission at a later time (like, after mission 6, with mission select) and will that give me the upgrade points for mission 7?
Or do i need to replay it right now, for my upgrade point to carry over?

I'd like to do a 100% playthrough the first time around.

everything is saved
if you go back to earlier missions you have all the current upgrades as well

Top Bottom