• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Izuna

Banned
I like to save fuel for other enemies. I did use it a lot against them early on, though.

What other enemies are you using the chainsaw on? Big enemies (including pinkie) is a waste unless you are speed running, it takes 3-5 fuel for those. Any other enemy is super easy and easier to fight at a distance anyway. You shouldn't use it around imps because they will punish you.

The chainsaw exists to get you ammo (or easy glory kill if you are low on health). It takes 1 fuel to kill a shield bro. There are like... maybe a dozen or so in the game.

Goddamn this game is amazing. Biggest surprise hit for me this year. I thought it would be good going by impressions in here and now i'm about 6 hours in, and my god I'm having such a blast. I'm deliberately having breaks to savor the experience as I don't want it to end lol.

Right. Got this delivered a few days ago, but did not have time to post until now: The Art of Doom Limited Edition book. This is a really, really nice companion piece if you enjoyed the game. I suppose I should apologize in advance, as all pictures were taken in my room on my phone, with less than amazing lighting.

The slipcase.

R8Sb.jpg

The Cyberdemon lithograph.

The cover of the actual book. It's done in a nice soft-touch laminate, with red foil on the logo and edge of the pages.

And, finally, an interior page. Obviously I couldn't post them all, but there's some pretty cool art in here.

Disgraced

Found this in my disc holder today...

cA5ovMY.jpg

gUTZoZS.jpg

I love the hell (pun intended) out of the game and all, but come on. The art is brilliant overall but shit did they kind of botch Doomguy. His design's grown on me a little and of course he's meant to be mostly one-note, but it didn't have to be that.

CRAIG667

Does anyone think we'll get a resurrection of evil sized expansion for the campaign?
The multiplayer is fine but I'd rather just play Halo 5 tbh.
I'd buy a campaign expansion in a heartbeat though, still stuck with n my last cheevo, damn UAC on ultra nightmare.... Grrrrr got so close many times, most frustrating thing ever, I literally can't bare to play a different game until I see that final 10G pop!

Flipyap

I love the hell (pun intended) out of the game and all, but come on. The art is brilliant overall but shit did they kind of botch Doomguy. His design's grown on me a little and of course he's meant to be mostly one-note, but it didn't have to be that.
His actual model doesn't look nearly as bad. It, like most things in the game, looks much better when it isn't viewed through a monochromatic filter. I hope they'll tone those down for the next game. Some of those monster designs are quite colorful, but you can hardly tell if you just see them in Campaign Vision.
It's still overdesigned, but that can't probably can't be helped. That's modern sci-fi video game character design for ya.

Disgraced

His actual model doesn't look nearly as bad. It, like most things in the game, looks much better when it isn't viewed through a monochromatic filter. I hope they'll tone those down for the next game. Some of those monster designs are quite colorful, but you can hardly tell if you just see them in Campaign Vision.

It's still overdesigned, but that can't probably can't be helped. That's modern sci-fi video game character design for ya.
I don't even mind the mono, I like that art. The Relevant looks great. He's just kind of bland and over-detailed as you say. The in-game model does look good. I think it'd be better if they maintained more of his original design in an ironic way, the t-shirt and big helm. Sort of silly with a gloss of frankness, similar to the rest of the direction.

Lernaean

Banned
Are the CTDs prevalent enough that I should just play on ps4 if I have the option? I was going to pick this up on PC.

I only had one, in the last stage, and no save file issues, so i'd say not that often.
I do back my save up every mission i clear though, just in case.

SkylineRKR

Does anyone think we'll get a resurrection of evil sized expansion for the campaign?
The multiplayer is fine but I'd rather just play Halo 5 tbh.
I'd buy a campaign expansion in a heartbeat though, still stuck with n my last cheevo, damn UAC on ultra nightmare.... Grrrrr got so close many times, most frustrating thing ever, I literally can't bare to play a different game until I see that final 10G pop!

I think they're dumb for banking on the MP with the season pass. I would've bought if it was about SP content.

NEO0MJ

What other enemies are you using the chainsaw on? Big enemies (including pinkie) is a waste unless you are speed running, it takes 3-5 fuel for those. Any other enemy is super easy and easier to fight at a distance anyway. You shouldn't use it around imps because they will punish you.

The chainsaw exists to get you ammo (or easy glory kill if you are low on health). It takes 1 fuel to kill a shield bro. There are like... maybe a dozen or so in the game.

Those cyber fatties. GOd I hate them so much and just want them out of the way. I also sometimes use it against a Baron in high stress situations, though I later started using the BFG for that. Thing is I rarely feel like I'm low on ammo.

Lego Boss

As l've said before in this thread l really don't get on with FPS, but this is so well designed and coded that it is comfortably my GOTY so far.

That buttery smooth 60 FPS, sound graphics and exploration make this a game everyone should play.
A real diamond.

Ixion

This was already posted in the SnapMap thread, but the first update was announced, which includes improvements to all three modes:

Hey folks,

We hope you’ve been enjoying your time playing DOOM! It’s been less than a month since launch, but the team at id Software has been hard at work preparing to deploy DOOM’s next game update, which will arrive later this month.

In the meantime, today we are releasing a multiplayer improvement update for DOOM. This includes rebalancing of some multiplayer weapons based on your feedback: the Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, and Combat Shotgun. This update will also reduce the wait time between matches to 60 seconds. Last but not least, Clan Arena and Freeze Tag will now require the winning team to complete 5 rounds in order to win the match. The multiplayer improvement update will begin today at 10:30 ET —this is a server-side update, and will not require a download, though it will require a server outage, which we anticipate will be about an hour. As always, we appreciate your feedback and we hope you’ll continue to let us know your thoughts.

For DOOM’s next game update, we will be releasing the patch notes later this month, which will include several improvements and features. We thought it was important to share some of those improvements with you now:

Added Photo Mode for taking in-game screenshots
Added Classic DOOM weapon placement/view model option (1st person view option)
Added new Snapmap features (including skybox windows) and AI pathing and logic fixes.
Fixed various bugs including players accidentally triggering Dev Mode and Trophy/Achievement bugs (IDKFA, Every Nook and Cranny).

These are just a few of the improvements and fixes coming later this month, but we wanted to provide an update as soon as we could. Thank you all for your continued support. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We hope you’re enjoying your time in-game and we can’t wait to share more with you soon.

The multiplayer update already happened last night.

id taking control of the multiplayer can only be a good thing. The current MP is... functional, but definitely not amazing, particularly when compared to the single-player component.

New Snapmap updates are welcome - Snapmap a fantastic idea, but it needs a lot more work, at least in its current incarnation. I hope there's a lot more down the pipeline to help it reach its potential.

And lastly: classic weapon viewmodels? Completely unexpected, but very welcome!

I don't understand it - how can id keep getting away with making the best game of 2016 even better? It defies all logic.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, I only need the RPG remote detonation.. Thing.. Mastery to have mastered all weapons. Any chapters/locations where it's easy to get that?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I love this game and have beaten it but the loading times make it extremely difficult to replay especially on harder settings (Xbox One)

NEO0MJ

Where can i buy the doomguy dolls like the one in this game?

Closest thing is the Funko POP figure, but those things are ugly as hell.

Interesting. If pre-orders come early enough I might get it on account of the current Doom high. Only high-end figure available is a statue based on the original cover.

This game has a fantastic credits sequence.

Yeah, it was awesome. I need a high res version of it. The scene at the end where he tosses the demon and crosses his arms to hold the shotgun looks so badass.

XaosWolf

If anyone makes the Doomguy figures then they have to include the music riff.

EDIT: Just finished it. Will definitely sweep up the last of the acievements.

What a fantastic game! And that credits sequence was awesome! A great Wolfenstein and a great DOOM, now we just need Quake and Commander Keen! =D

Super ending spoilers:
BRING ON DOOM II

dcx4610

Just finished the game.

I grew up on the original DOOMs and wasn't blown away by the game at first but it slowly started to click with me and then it became really great.

The graphics in the game are insane and there were times it was hard to believe my PC was processing what was going on the screen. I absolutely loved the speed and it really captured the feeling of the late 90s quick-twitch shooters perfectly.

I wasn't a huge fan of some of the character designs and I guess my biggest complaint was the sound design and the fact that the game just wasn't scary. It's silly now but the original DOOMs were terrifying and just hearing the sounds of the demons in other rooms didn't make you want to go in. I didn't get any of that in this one. It was more "cool" than scary. The music was also too muted and in the background and I wanted it more in your face like the originals.

Still, minor nitpicks. A fantastic game and although I liked Wolfenstein: A New Order better, I'd give it the same score of 8/10.

Bring on Quake.

Amazing, amazing game. I bought it this week and I'm on mission 7 right now. Easily my favorite FPS in a looong time. Since Halo 3 at least.

It really feels like the Fury Road of the shooters, so I put together a sort of wallpaper to use these days:

This truly is the Id that shaped the genre in the nineties <3

Finally finished it , tried to take my time with it . Ended up missing a ton of secrets so I look forward to going back and trying again on higher difficulty .

Last few hell fights felt like a white knuckle thrill ride , for the first time in ages I found myself having to concentrate hard and end up scraping. Through a lot of them felt amazing .

Also best end credits ever , looking forward to replaying and maybe checking out snap map. I hope the devs are working on more campaign dlc .

mhayze

I'm a little late to the party (for some reason I thought this game was going to be a disaster, but the reviews seem to indicate otherwise), so I'd like to pick this up on PC.

Cheapest option seems to be a boxed copy from Amazon at $40, I see earlier in this thread someone said that the boxed copy can be redeemed on steam - is this my best option?

XaosWolf

I'm a little late to the party (for some reason I thought this game was going to be a disaster, but the reviews seem to indicate otherwise), so I'd like to pick this up on PC.

Cheapest option seems to be a boxed copy from Amazon at $40, I see earlier in this thread someone said that the boxed copy can be redeemed on steam - is this my best option?

The game is easily worth $40. And yes, all boxed PC games these days come with a Steam code on the inside. =)

I'm really enjoying this, but does anyone else feel like they tipped the balance too much in favor of arena battles? I personally would have preferred the big battles to be more metered out with some corridor shooting - everybody who's saying this feels exactly like Doom 1 and 2 must haved played different games because while those certainly had their big battles, a lot of moments were spent wondering if there was an enemy around the corner.

It's almost like 3 went too corridor and this went too arena.

XaosWolf

I'm really enjoying this, but does anyone else feel like they tipped the balance too much in favor of arena battles? I personally would have preferred the big battles to be more metered out with some corridor shooting - everybody who's saying this feels exactly like Doom 1 and 2 must haved played different games because while those certainly had their big battles, a lot of moments were spent wondering if there was an enemy around the corner.

It's almost like 3 went too corridor and this went too arena.

Agreed. The game is great but it needs enemy layouts as opposed to arenas.

Hopefully they will do this for the next one.

Top Bottom