• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

MazeHaze

Banned
Dont fine tune your aim by strafing, the mouse is all thats needed to accurately shoot so you'll have to unlearn that. Play around with the sensitivity, turn off smoothing. Time and practice is what its going to come down to unfortunately.

Thanks for the tips! I assumed I'd just have to climb the learning curve on it. What does smoothing do exactly?

I love how when you start the game the status says that there is an "unsafe level of demonic activity" happening in the facility.

1. The facility has specific warnings for demons.
2. That there is a safe level of demonic activity.

The game is so goofy and I like that. I don't really need any serious story in my Doom.

Tansut

I love how when you start the game the status says that there is an "unsafe level of demonic activity" happening in the facility.

1. The facility has specific warnings for demons.
2. That there is a safe level of demonic activity.

The game is so goofy and I like that. I don't really need any serious story in my Doom.
I seriously cracked up the first time that happened. It was exactly the kind of tone I was hoping for.

ISee

Everybody enjoys the really, really fast action and the level design. And that's great but could we stop for a moment and also appreciate the visuals? It looks amazing and I find myself often enough just looking around and enjoying the art style and visuals.

doom4looksawesome238bva.png

(stolen from the PC screenshot thread, because other people are much better than me capturing screens. Credit goes to Drunken Master and therealminime)

Are people liking the MP as much as me?

I played the beta and it seemed like it would suck, but man I'm having a BLAST with it so far.

Just had a match where I absolutely wrecked the other team as the demon and it was amazing.

I love the MP. It's all I've played minus the first story level.

mcz117chief

Very much disagree with this.

This game as is, it's gorgeous.

Do you? Well I am playing on ultra and the blood effects are extremely sub-par compared to games like Killing Floor 2 and the interiors are really really bad, everything is really jaggy and you can see hard edges on things like pipes everywhere. I was desperately looking at the settings yesterday thinking I must have set textures to low but nope, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with the settings.

epmode

This game is so goddamned good. It stopped my Uncharted 4 playthrough in its tracks.
I've found all the secrets in the first four levels and completed all the challenges bar killing two possessed with a single shotgun round (gave up!).

Not a single round; A single pull of the trigger.

Alt fire modes count.

Haines

Banned
Is this game any good? Used to play the shit out of OG doom.

The stuff I saw killed any hype for me and the mp beta felt bland and uninspired.

And lack of reviews...

Is this game as good as wolf was?

Just finished the game. Man, fuck that ending.

For the ENTIRE GAME I was expecting a cool showdown with Optimus. Instead, he's just used as sequel bait. The dudes the main villain of this game, so not having any sort of conclusive fight with him was pretty unsatisfying.

This game starts off on a high note, but it slowly deludes the more you progress. It's still cool, but it definitely has pacing issues.

RyanW

So for anyone who has probably completed the SP and might have gone back to other missions for collectibles, achievements, etc. The achievements that involve "Do X in a single campaign run", does that actually mean I have to start a brand new run in order to get them if I missed something or can I go on missions select to grab the collectibles I missed and it still count as a single run?

I know in some cases the latter works.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Is that some end boss spoiler? lol

no thats just one of the hell levels

Just finished the game. Man, fuck that ending.

For the ENTIRE GAME I was expecting a cool showdown with Optimus. Instead, he's just used as sequel bait. The dudes the main villain of this game, so not having any sort of conclusive fight with him was pretty unsatisfying.

This game starts off on a high note, but it slowly deludes the more you progress. It's still cool, but it definitely has pacing issues.

this game follows doom pretty closely so
fighting spider master mind as the last boss is a given

epmode

haha I understand that as everyone seems to hate it. I guess my question is actually why is smoothing on by default in so many games if everybody just turns it off anyway?

It interpolates your mouse input to reduce sudden jerks and twitches. I can't fathom why anyone would think this is a good idea in an FPS but it's more common than you'd think.

PnCIa

Brilliant design decision.

Man, They didn't need to freaking bother with Multiplayer with single player this good. Could you imagine if this game had Mod support? It could match the original doom. Snap Map's cool and all, but imagine Mod Support for a game this good. I don't see many games reaching this level in this year, for me it's probably Pokemon Moon and Persona 5 left that stand even a chance.
Mod support is something that Bethesda should reconsider ASAP. The hardcore community seems to love the game, give them what they need to keep this game alive for years to come.
Hint: Snapmap is probably not gonna do that.

epmode

Mod support is something that Bethesda should reconsider ASAP. The hardcore community seems to love the game, give them what they need to keep this game alive for years to come.
Hint: Snapmap is probably not gonna do that.

I figured the lack of mod support was a sure sign that this game was going to be garbage. Now that I know it's not, I'm even more depressed about it.

YESSSS!!! Amazon says my collectors edition is being delivered tomorrow!! Guess the Tuesday date was just an estimate.

I'm even more hyped for the game now that PickyGAF approves of this new Doom incarnation. Also enjoyed Sid Shuman saying that it completely makes up for the disappointment of Doom 3. (To those of us that didn't care for Doom 3)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think the MP would be having a warmer reception if it weren't for the loadouts. What made competitive Doom and Quake so interesting is map knowledge and weapons being pre-selected eats into that.

With Quake Live being largely a non-starter, I was actually expecting Bethesda to position Doom PC's MP as its spiritual successor. That didn't happen, of course... which is either very good (Bethesda wanted Doom's MP to be its own thing because it's planning a Quake resurrection, the MP component of which will have an arena shooter element) or very bad (Bethesda considers the arena shooter to be dead).

damn it, why do games let you get to a certain point in a level and then a gate closes behind you and you cant go back and explore. I dont get it. Now I have to start this whole mission over again because I missed one elite guard somewhere.

Top Bottom