• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

KingKong

I think the MP would be having a warmer reception if it weren't for the loadouts. What made competitive Doom and Quake so interesting is map knowledge and weapons being pre-selected eats into that.

Weapon limit is the thing that makes it awful. The maps are pretty bad too.

I love how when you start the game the status says that there is an "unsafe level of demonic activity" happening in the facility.

1. The facility has specific warnings for demons.
2. That there is a safe level of demonic activity.

The game is so goofy and I like that. I don't really need any serious story in my Doom.

I consider that one of the best quotes in the entire game. It's such a wonderful mix of seriousness and camp condensed into one sentence and you could summarize the whole game with that line alone. Now Doom is most definitely not known for writing, but that's actually a pretty damn good piece of writing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fuck it. I'm caving. PS4 version, here I come. I was going to wait on getting this on PC when I get a new rig, but fuuuck this looks too good.

DirtyLarry

Finally got to check it out. Runs great with pretty much everything at Ultra and 2160 res. Getting in the area of 75 FPS and since I have G-Sync that is good enough for me in SP.

So my question for those that have played both MP & SP already on PC can the two have different Graphic settings? Or are the settings universal for both? If they are universal which I believe they are, is there a tool I may not know about that creates different profiles for games easily? Like Profile Inspector or whatever it is called?

Also I hope bumping up the FOV (which I just did before stopping playing so I cannot confirm) will help with the motion sickness I somewhat feel. I have NEVER felt it from gaming so it is kind of crazy I feel like I am experiencing it now, but doing a quick Google shows me that a decent amount of people experienced it in Wolfenstein, so it appears it may be something with the RAGE engine?

Real solid game so far though. Some of these secrets must be really well hidden too as I am looking for them no doubt and not finding all of them. Only on Level 3 too.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So the game (endgame spoilers)
just kind of ends. That was a little underwhelming compared to the rest of it.

I really like this game, but one thing bothers me. I like to explore after I clear out an area, and some of these secrets are very cleverly hidden. Which I like to find. But some area's don't warn you that you can't go back and search, they just end. I know you can replay chapters (I haven't finished the game yet). But still, it would have been great to really clear out an area before moving on.

epmode

I really like this game, but one thing bothers me. I like to explore after I clear out an area, and some of these secrets are very cleverly hidden. Which I like to find. But some area's don't warn you that you can't go back and search, they just end. I know you can replay chapters (I haven't finished the game yet). But still, it would have been great to really clear out an area before moving on.

I'm four levels in and I've found that it's pretty clear when you're at the end of a level. It helps that you have to press a button to end it so you won't get screwed by walking too far ahead of a missed secret.

I don't think you can permanently miss a secret either. You can always backtrack from the end of a level to the very beginning.

edit: I'm apparently wrong about missing secrets. I just haven't run into the problem yet.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, this is clever.

Armor and health pickups get randomized in certain areas.
I'm trying to complete Rich Get Richer Rune's upgrade in one area... only the armor amount that spawns is different and placed different when reloading from checkpoint.

Note: This seems to apply to only small armor and health pick-ups, not the major ones.

i just complained about this above. Im sitting at the end of level 6 right now, I am missing one elite guard....and a gate is blocking me from going back for no reason at all.

Did anyone else notice the Fallout Vault-Tec logo during the game's prologue?

CicptZWU4AAnpDL.jpg

Cicpu5oUYAA392t.jpg

It's more like if Quake and Doom had a baby. Doom 3's influences are much more superficial.

Yeah, I guess that's more accurate. Though there isn't much Doom 1 and 2 in here really. In terms of gameplay that is. I'm really enjoying the game, but it's no Doom 1&2. There will never be a game like them again.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

just go everywhere except were the objective dimond is

Karak

So stoked most are liking it as much as I did. Beat it a second time now and have to say due to a bit of the randomness, the secrets, and all the unlocks its been a fantastic second experience.

I'm pretty sure it's always the doors you have to open from the bottom and pull up that will close for good behind you.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, this is clever.

Armor and health pickups get randomized in certain areas.
I'm trying to complete Rich Get Richer Rune's upgrade in one area... only the armor amount that spawns is different and placed different when reloading from checkpoint.

Note: This seems to apply to only small armor and health pick-ups, not the major ones.

Correction: The game prevents you from cheesing the challenge. In this case, it doesn't spawn minor armor to prevent me from merely reloading checkpoint to refill my armor again and again...

EDIT Also, removing the rune before reloading checkpoint doesn't cause the armor to spawn... very clever. Unless the game's bugged somehow...

I really hope this game makes them decent money they absolutely deserve it. Oh, and I want them to make money so they know people like this kind of shooter and then they can make a Quake reboot.

The combat feels so good. This is why I love old school shooters: You play (and replay) them because the gameplay is amazing. You don't replay them for the story, the collectibles (they make sense in Doom though) or the set pieces. It's simple but fun.

i just complained about this above. Im sitting at the end of level 6 right now, I am missing one elite guard....and a gate is blocking me from going back for no reason at all.

lol yup, that happened to me too

just go everywhere except were the objective dimond is

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. But still this could have been handled better.

Did anyone else notice the Fallout Vault-Tec logo during the game's prologue?

There's a Doomguy plush in vault-tec uniform in the game too :p

neat!

Haines

Banned
Damn I'm shocked to hear this is better than wolf was.

Going to be a while before I get to play it BC I didn't think it was going to be good so I got other games instead.

Kind if cool to hear doom is back

Justinh

Some are context sensitive. From above, from behind, next to a wall. I think there are some for being on a sloped surface or next to an edge as well

Yeah, also you get different glory kills depending on where you're aiming when you initiate. For example when Glory Killing a
Hell Razer
aiming at the right leg (their right leg) does a sweep and like "slam"

edit: way late. I should refresh before replying from now on.

also edit: I find it so much fun to go back to the early levels to find missing secrets/finish challenges while all upgraded up. It's even more fun when you're just wrecking shit left and right.
Convinced my dad to buy this on steam, really disappointed we can't do a co-op campaign together.

Damn I'm shocked to hear this is better than wolf was.

Going to be a while before I get to play it BC I didn't think it was going to be good so I got other games instead.

Kind if cool to hear doom is back

It's way better than Wolfenstein. Wolfenstein was a modern first person shooter with oldschool elements. This is a classic shooter with modern graphics.

So stoked most are liking it as much as I did. Beat it a second time now and have to say due to a bit of the randomness, the secrets, and all the unlocks its been a fantastic second experience.

yeah man. I'm going back through on nightmare and getting all of the secrets.

glad you have enough time to play a game and enjoy it.

psychotron

Loving this game, but need to ask....anyone getting a bit of stutter after a checkpoint? Otherwise, it's buttery smooth on PS4.

bidguy

Banned
so this is probably one of the rare cases where the dev didnt lie about playtime lol

at 13 hours now but i think im near the end

noooooo, restarting a chapter erases progress u made towards runes and weapon mastery. Fuck, I spent so much time reloading checkpoints to grind those. All progress made, gone like that. Why does restarting missions reset it, but not restarting checkpoints wtf

Top Bottom