• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This game is balls to the wall awesome. Love the mods on weapons, looks so freaking cool. I really wasn't expecting the game to be this good.

mcz117chief

I don't know what people want that are complaining.

Some blood and better graphics (at least for the environmets) would be a nice start. I mean, it's a decent game but it ain't no Shadow Warrior or Killing Floor level awesomeness unfortunately. Not a waste of money by any means but it could be have been much better just by adding Nvidia FLEX.

Skitso78

Is the Foundry level representative of the rest of the game in terms of its complexity and non-linearity? If so, wow....

I've played three levels further and unfortunately nothing since have touched the foundry quality wise. Hopefully theres more of foundry styled maps later still.

I hope this game does sell critically and financially. Most fun I've had in a multiplayer game and fps campaign, everything about the campaign has been great, soundtrack, gameplay just love it.

FireRises

for the first power up, what did you guys go with? Health, armor or ammo? decisions..decisions ...

I think ammo or armor would be the way to go

mcz117chief

for the first power up, what did you guys go with? Health, armor or ammo? decisions..decisions ...

Always ammo, hp drops from monsters all the time and armour isn't that necessary, but having enough ammo for your favourite weapon is always welcome.

Benson

Just finished it, barely put it down since I started yesterday afternoon. Loved every second of it! Don't really intend to touch the multiplayer but here's some thoughts on SP:

The good:
The fluidity of the movement and combat
Seeing old familiar faces of all the enemies
Weapons felt meaty (Did anyone else pretty much stick with the double barrelled shotgun the whole time after getting it?)
Powerups: Berserk is just THE best thing ever, jumping around snapping fools in half!

The bad:
Quad damage was Quake.. right?!
Soundtrack wasn't much to write home about

Felt like more of an homage to Doom, with modern gameplay twists, than a true sequel to the series but if that's what ID were going for, then well played!

After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look and reading trusted impressions, I am 100% confounded by how badly Bethesda marketed this game from top to bottom.

From the laser focused emphasis on blood and gore Brutal Doom melee kill crap that screamed "these will probably get old and suck" when seen in video, to the radio silence on the single-player that lasted forever in favor of talking about the uninspiring MP, to the open beta itself being a massive letdown instead of just putting out a single player demo (a way to play Doom before you buy it! gosh, what a novel idea!), to the way the tone was seemingly established as 100% serious "MAN U R A MACHO BADASS RIP N TEAR" instead of the fantastic tongue-in-cheek humor that's present in the actual game, to the smuggest and most obnoxious blog post of marketing speak ever written, to the emphasis on the locked down "skate parks" which seemed to fly in the face of what Doom's level design is about because it allowed more blood effects per second in a preview video.

Whoever did the marketing for this game needs to be bopped on the head with a rolled up newspaper, because they failed spectacularly.

EDIT: And I can't believe I forgot that they held review codes back until launch day. Were they embarrassed by the game? Did they assume that the negative reaction meant that the game was bad, and not that they flubbed the marketing?

Completely and utterly agree

Imagine if they had the confidence to just put the first 3 levels out as a demo.... or better yet, shareware!

FHIZ

Weird question, has anyone played the version of this game from the Hong Kong PSN store? Wasn't planning on picking this game up, but due to the response and me having some left over credit on the HK store, I figure I might just burn it all there. Was just wondering if that version had any censoring since I remember a lot of Asian territory games have violence and gore toned down.

Really enjoyed ACG's review. But I don't know if this game is for me, with that I especially mean the incredibly fast gameplay. In that way it's definitely not like other shooters.

I always go for health first in games, or armor if health isn't an option. I've had two upgrades and put both into health.

There's plenty of ammo, so there's no real need to worry. Sure, I've run out a few times, but there have been other options and I scour the levels pretty well.

Someone give the person who created the chainsaw mechanic (ammo, limited use and a dedicated weapon slot) a raise.

God damn I love it.

It's pretty awesome. I often forget I have it, though.

I was out of ammo and up against a big brute. Thought I'd try the chainsaw, because the pistol would take forever. And it took the thing out in one hit.

Someone give the person who created the chainsaw mechanic (ammo, limited use and a dedicated weapon slot) a raise.

God damn I love it.

Brilliant design decision.

Man, They didn't need to freaking bother with Multiplayer with single player this good. Could you imagine if this game had Mod support? It could match the original doom. Snap Map's cool and all, but imagine Mod Support for a game this good. I don't see many games reaching this level in this year, for me it's probably Pokemon Moon and Persona 5 left that stand even a chance.

I'm hoping they just patch in a bunch of multiplayer stuff, like classic DM and TDM with pickups. If anyone remembers Q2 patches from back in the day, MP sucked until they started to patch in the good stuff.

I really hope people give the existing modes a chance though, just submit to the gameplay and stop wishing it were different, some are real fun.

I have a horrible feeling though it will be cool to review this as an 8 or lower, it's not sophisticated enough for pretentious reviewers, despite it's awesomeness.

jwhit28

Anyone else get a metroid prime vibe from this game? Secret areas, space, being alone, exploration?

Anyone?

While I'm here I'll drop in the fact that I think this game bests UC4 in the gfx department. Don't kill me.

I thought the same. I needed this game so badly especially the multiplayer. Such a big surprise.

dhonk

I cannot believe how much Im loving this shit. I want to learn pepakura now so I can make the armor. so fucking sick

MazeHaze

Banned
Impulse bought this bad boy based on all the positive responses here. Looking for some tips though.

Just got my first PC about a month ago so I picked it up for that, but I'm pretty bad with mouse aiming because I've used a stick my whole life. I want to get better, but I'm getting rekt. Anybody have any useful tips for new kb+m players? I think a lot of it has to do with not being able to fine tune the aim by strafing since using my fingers to strafe rather than my thumb is a bit of an adjustment, but idk.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Playing on ps4 and I think it's crucial that people do these.

Change FOV to 100 or higher.

And map jump to L1.

105 gives a nice sense of speed without warping the environment too much. And bumper jumper all the way. I have no idea why they made A the default, you need to control your jumps with the right stick and you can't do both.

After playing through it once on Ultra Violence and halfway through on Nightmare I'm finding that I wish there were just more enemies to shoot at in between arena bits. The original DooM's were heavily populated with imps and soldiers and you almost always had several enemies per room to kill. It's odd going through occasional stretches of the map without seeing anything threatening.

I still love the game and it's a classic in my heart, but that's my major gripe with the single player game.

Impulse bought this bad boy based on all the positive responses here. Looking for some tips though.

Just got my first PC about a month ago so I picked it up for that, but I'm pretty bad with mouse aiming because I've used a stick my whole life. I want to get better, but I'm getting rekt. Anybody have any useful tips for new kb+m players? I think a lot of it has to do with not being able to fine tune the aim by strafing since using my fingers to strafe rather than my thumb is a bit of an adjustment, but idk.

The biggest thing most PC players get wrong is cranking up their sensitivity. Most people can't accurately fire with a super twitchy sensitivity. Other than that, you just have to practice with strafing and quick peeking. Also, try disabling the crosshair. It's not only more fun/immersive, but it allows your brain to learn the center of the screen instead of subconsciously relying on a target.

Some blood and better graphics (at least for the environmets) would be a nice start. I mean, it's a decent game but it ain't no Shadow Warrior or Killing Floor level awesomeness unfortunately. Not a waste of money by any means but it could be have been much better just by adding Nvidia FLEX.

Very much disagree with this.

This game as is, it's gorgeous.

bathsalts

Dont fine tune your aim by strafing, the mouse is all thats needed to accurately shoot so you'll have to unlearn that. Play around with the sensitivity, turn off smoothing. Time and practice is what its going to come down to unfortunately.

So question for those who may be in a similar predicament to mine, with regards to unlocks, replaying levels, and not wanting to replay the entire level. spoiler tagged for people that don't want to know about certain secrets.

can you unlock a classic map and then quit out of the level and have it keep the unlock? I missed one and need to replay one of the maps to get it, but I checked a youtube video and it was really early on the map, so I'm wondering if I can just replay to that point, trigger the unlock message, then dump out if it'll keep the unlock.

Top Bottom