• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone else get a metroid prime vibe from this game? Secret areas, space, being alone, exploration?

Anyone?

While I'm here I'll drop in the fact that I think this game bests UC4 in the gfx department. Don't kill me.
Hmm...I can see what you mean, but it plays so differently.

I was thinking it's more like a marriage of classic id games, such as Quake and Doom annnnddd...Turok Dinosaur Hunter. Yes, the original N64 game.

As with Turok, you're running around big levels blasting enemies with awesome weapons while also engaging in lots of platforming.

I just can't get over how much fun this game is and how often I plan to replay it.

How forgotten will this game be when GOTY stuff starts up?
For me? It won't be.

The last couple of months have been STELLAR for gaming, though. Going from Quantum Break to Dark Souls 3 to Uncharted 4 and now to Doom with Mirror's Edge on the horizon?! How could it get better?!? Heck, I'll toss the amazing Ratchet and Clank reboot in there along with... Star Fox Zero. SFZ is probably the worst game of the bunch BUT I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than most people.

It's just been the best months in gaming that I've experienced in a long long time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I kind of want to buy this but I don't have much interest in the multiplayer, especially with overwatch coming out. Maybe it'll hit 40 during a steam sale in the summer.

It was 32 on cdkeys.com a couple days ago. I would check there.

Bethsada bankrolled it and provided all the terrible marketing for the game.

Like whoever thought the biggest promotion for this game would be its Quake 4 style struggle MP beta and showing the same damn glory kill animation with a weapon wheel pausing the action constantly was a good idea....they needed to be fired ASAP

seriously they showed such a terrible slice of the game.

seriously they showed such a terrible slice of the game.

"Instead of showing how the level design encourages mobility and exploration, lets just one arena after another instead"

"Wait a minute, do you think people will get confused when you can switch weapons without a weapon wheel? Only console footage pls"

"Look I know the game actually has a great sense of humor, but Im thinking we should just...not...show...that? Let it be a surprise when people out its not a super-serious edgy RIP&TEAR power fantasy"

"Here's the thing guys, I was hoping we could just NOT let critics review the game early. I mean, we could get some good buzz going for it, but what if its bad, ya know? What if. So lets just not do that k"

NotLiquid

After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look and reading trusted impressions, I am 100% confounded by how badly Bethesda marketed this game from top to bottom.

From the laser focused emphasis on blood and gore Brutal Doom melee kill crap that screamed "these will probably get old and suck" when seen in video, to the radio silence on the single-player that lasted forever in favor of talking about the uninspiring MP, to the open beta itself being a massive letdown instead of just putting out a single player demo (a way to play Doom before you buy it! gosh, what a novel idea!), to the way the tone was seemingly established as 100% serious "MAN U R A MACHO BADASS RIP N TEAR" instead of the fantastic tongue-in-cheek humor that's present in the actual game, to the smuggest and most obnoxious blog post of marketing speak ever written, to the emphasis on the locked down "skate parks" which seemed to fly in the face of what Doom's level design is about because it allowed more blood effects per second in a preview video.

Whoever did the marketing for this game needs to be bopped on the head with a rolled up newspaper, because they failed spectacularly.

EDIT: And I can't believe I forgot that they held review codes back until launch day. Were they embarrassed by the game? Did they assume that the negative reaction meant that the game was bad, and not that they flubbed the marketing?

The tongue-in-cheek thing is especially something I'm noting. When Doom was advertising itself as taking heavy cues from Brutal Doom it felt like the game was expressively trying to go down the same overkill levels of edgy gore and brutality which has arguably poisoned some of the series' perception. While the glory kills are somewhat over the top the game doesn't feel remotely as hard to try being "fucked up". The intro is just what instantly sells it. Instead of being a loud mouth rage monster, Doomguy just responds to Hayden's stupid "for the greater good" spiel with a silent knuckle crack and a fist to the monitor.

Even for something like Doom that certainly doesn't host a huge level of subtlety it's still shocking to me that there's a game in this series, by a modern developer, that actually manages to be somewhat cool.

marrec

Banned
Are people liking the MP as much as me?

I played the beta and it seemed like it would suck, but man I'm having a BLAST with it so far.

Just had a match where I absolutely wrecked the other team as the demon and it was amazing.

wwm0nkey

Hell in this game is literally the best single player level outside of the original doom I have ever played, especially towards the end, it's just fucking amazing honestly, the Barons Of Hell everything, just fucking amazing.

I am basically on the last level now, been trying to get all the secrets as I have gone along, think I have missed one but going to get that on the second playthrough, this is literally my GOTY and in my top 3 FPS games of all time if I am completely honest.

Oh man you are going to love the end of this level

Zemm

So glad everyone is loving this, just ordered it myself. Hope the devs are reading this feedback and feeling happy with what they've produced.

epmode

Minor complaint:

I remapped my movement controls to ESDF so I could map weapon selection keys all around movement keys (works well with games that have a ton of guns). Problem is that scrolling the map screen still works with WASD. I get confused every time I have to check the map!

Ulysses 31

Kinda miss the ammo counter for all ammo types like in he original Dooms.

Also the footsteps seems kinda on the low side? A guy in a suit like the Doomguy should have very audible footsteps.

MiguelItUp

God I can't wait to get home to play. I feel like this will be my GOTY hands down. Currently standing in line for The Haunted Mansion and hyping beyond belief. Everything about this just sounds so perfect, just like I wanted and hoped. Hell, even more than that!

tesqui

The classic levels are kind of lame. They should've used sprites for enemies like Wolfenstein did. It's still cool that they would go through the trouble of making them though.

This has probably been mentioned already but you can replay levels to get stuff you missed without messing up your current checkpoint.

So if you get stuck it might be worth flying through an earlier level for upgrades you missed instead of dropping the difficulty. Then just continue on from where you were with your newly upgraded Doom Guy. Ultra Violence is where it's at after all.

Watching the Doom movie while playing the game = best weekend ever.

Also:

Doom (movie) > Aliens

giphy.gif

Hmm...I can see what you mean, but it plays so differently.

I was thinking it's more like a marriage of classic id games, such as Quake and Doom annnnddd...Turok Dinosaur Hunter. Yes, the original N64 game.

As with Turok, you're running around big levels blasting enemies with awesome weapons while also engaging in lots of platforming.

I just can't get over how much fun this game is and how often I plan to replay it.

For me? It won't be.

The last couple of months have been STELLAR for gaming, though. Going from Quantum Break to Dark Souls 3 to Uncharted 4 and now to Doom with Mirror's Edge on the horizon?! How could it get better?!? Heck, I'll toss the amazing Ratchet and Clank reboot in there along with... Star Fox Zero. SFZ is probably the worst game of the bunch BUT I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than most people.

It's just been the best months in gaming that I've experienced in a long long time.

Good shit, for sure.

Kareha

I'm loving the single player as its nice and fast, but the multiplayer as god awful. Its so slow, its like playing in treacle.

Also, is there no normal deathmatch rather than this team based stuff?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For me? It won't be.

I can't even believe we got both Uncharted 4 and Doom in the same week. They are both amazing experiences that are surely going in my all time favorites list. 2016 is absolutely killer for gaming.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
For me? It won't be.

I would add this month that Stellaris, Overwatch and Total Warhammer are coming/have released already.

IronLich

I think my favorite part about the single player is seeing the signature DOOM monsters, and how they look in the new game.

For example, I finally got into Hell, and enemies like the Cacodemon and Baron of Hell and recognizing them near immediately was so cool. Seeing the Hell Knight at the base and anticipating the appearance of the Baron of Hell with glee made his first sight all the more pleasing to my kid feels.

Not so much having to deal with Hell Knights, Mancubi, Revenants, and two Barons of Hell after that in a single enemy gauntlet. This is an enemy layout you would find in an Ultra Violence WAD release from the 90s, and it's in an actually published DOOM game. The game definitely keeps you on your toes, and switching weapons on the fly like the old games did. I personally think the combat demands a higher level of engagement than 90s DOOM ever did. For one, the enemies move at speeds faster than 5 MPH nowadays.

pa22word

I would add this month that Stellaris, Overwatch and Total Warhammer are coming/have released already.

Not to mention Dishonored and Deus Ex are on the horizon as well.

Been a great year for fans of old school PC gaming. Great RPGs, great strategy games, and great shooters.

Oh and does anyone else love how balls deep they've gotten with the lore? In the hell levels, seeing the demonic shrines dedicated to Hell's original battle with the Doom Marine enshrined in legend is hilarious. This game is the gift that keeps on giving!

Rephil

im so happy right now! this game is fucking GLORIOUS!!! i don't know what people want that are complaining. MY GOD this shit rocks! and YES, its like quake, and YES, mp is not perfect yet, but i'm so grateful to just have DOOM back, after so many years. and to feel that certain kick again from those days. they really nailed that! simple, fast and fucking brutal! no modern shooter compares to this. RIP and TEAR boiz!

AlphaDump

Gold Member
After 3 missions - yes this game is great and FEELS just like the original. It is just FUN in a way the originsl doom is

Could be id softwares best single player game even - did not see that one coming

seriously, I am extremely impressed with how well they nailed the movement and speed of everything. The gunplay and enemy AI are also top notch.

my wishlist for the sequel:
  1. the base weapons are a lot stronger (to compensate for a weaker melee or non at all)
  2. the enemy designs are a bit bigger, and more menacing/imposing looking.

Mr. Tibbs

Insane that the developers managed to pull this together considering Doom 4's development history and how atrocious the promotional material was. Everything from the 2014 Quakecon exclusive reveal onwards was poorly conceived.

I was beyond skeptical about this reboot but I've really enjoyed my four hours with the singleplayer. Two big caveats: Tonally, it's nothing like any of the other Doom games, and it can feel a bit nu-metal lame at times. My biggest complaint is the lack of a memorable soundtrack. I'm happy every time I get a little taste of Doom 1 and 2 music, but the regular Doom 4 soundtrack hasn't been doing much for me.

The level design is is great (headed up by Prey's Jason O'Connell), though it mostly follows a pattern of setting up arena set pieces and then letting you loose versus dozens of demons. I appreciate that you have constantly be on the move. The powered-up ability to mantle up walls adds a lot to the game. I've found all the secrets in the first four levels and completed all the challenges bar killing two possessed with a single shotgun round (gave up!). The bevy of unlocks are way more thoughtfully designed than the ones in TNO. The melee actually works surprisingly well. Jumping into the fray to acquire health with the finishers, and chainsawing those annoying shield guys for ammo power-ups remains enjoyable because the animations are so quick. I assume at higher difficulties there's more of a risk-reward tradeoff to this, because the more powerful an enemy is, the quicker the stun state ends, and the more likely you'll be overwhelmed.

The PC version is just sublime. Overall, I'm really impressed. It's not going to be something I play for 20 years like Doom 1 and 2, but it's a good shooter which I wasn't expecting. Easily Bethesda's best game since Dishonored, which is why it's so baffling that Bethesda whiffed so badly on the marketing.

This game is really good. I'm kinda flabbergasted at how poorly they chose to show this damn thing before release.

Same. I tried the MP beta and didn't like it at all, but we took a chance on the game thanks to the half-price sale, and the SP has been lightyears better than I expected. Even the melee kill system for HP, chainsaw for Ammo, has grown on me. I think what really sold it to me was when I saw how *fast* you move in SP. Not DOOM 1 fast, but faster than 90% of modern shooters. Enemies move in interesting ways too, which keeps things engaging.

I love the beserker one, just running around ripping things apart with my bare hands give a good rush. It's nice to use when you have a bunch of big demons you need gibed in quick order. Quad damage rockets is legit too.

Edit: I hope this gets a stand alone expansion outside of the season pass like wolf the old blood. Would be nice to have maybe 6 to 8 more hours priced at like $40. The season pass is all multiplayer I just wish there was going to be more single player. I'd like it to take place in hell and fighting the
titan as the last boss leading up to him being trapped by the demon priests in the coffin
so a prequel like wolf the old blood.

im so happy right now! this game is fucking GLORIOUS!!! i don't know what people want that are complaining. MY GOD this shit rocks! and YES, its like quake, and YES, mp is not perfect yet, but i'm so grateful to just have DOOM back, after so many years. and to feel that certain kick again from those days. they really nailed that! simple, fast and fucking brutal! no modern shooter compares to this. RIP and TEAR boiz!
63y7fWp.gif

So what's the deal with the multiplayer? I've tried several times to get online, but it's not happening. It let me go as far as customizing my character last night, but every time I'd try to start a match it would disconnect. Today it won't even let me choose multiplayer from the main menu because it says I have to have PlayStation Plus to go online. I do have PlayStation plus though, and it's only this game that's giving me trouble because I was playing Dragonball XV online just before I tried it. Anyone else having problems?

Top Bottom