• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Klyka

Banned
I just got it and had to make a yt vid of the first few minutes of my experience.

https://youtu.be/r-crvuvt3P0

Can already tell this shit is hype, one thing I will do is up the difficulty though, feels too easy right now.

Music as I knew it would be is insane!

The way that at the end of the elevator ride the music stops, the shotgun reloads in melody and then it is just quiet is AMAZING

I loved that entire prologue

The absolute greatest thing about this game is how slowly but surely you discover that the demons, this crazy, sometimes huge, utterly powerful monster.....are AFRAID of the Doom Marine. Utterly, utterly afraid.
So afraid actually that at one point (not too crazy spoiler)
You see the Echo of a conversation between the main bad human and an invisible "evil overlord" about how the Doom Marine was found in his sarcophagus (not yet awoken) and then evil overlord basically says "great,you allowed him to be found. We are fucked now. Our plan is ruined. Great job." and it's only the human who says "nah nah man I can still do this I got a plan". The Ancient Evil is literally saying "nope we give up,stop all evil plans, we are done" instead of wanting to face the Doom Marine.

As someone said in another thread: "You are not trapped with the demons. The demons are trapped with you"

The Flash

Banned
This game easily has the best prologue/first level in any shooter for the last few years. I probably haven't enjoyed a shooter campaign this much since Reach.

Blitzhex

I loved the ending, that's exactly how this game was supposed to end.
It grabbed you by the balls from the start, then it takes your balls and goes home, fuck you, buy the next one. Hell yea, I am going to.

Do you? Well I am playing on ultra and the blood effects are extremely sub-par compared to games like Killing Floor 2 and the interiors are really really bad, everything is really jaggy and you can see hard edges on things like pipes everywhere. I was desperately looking at the settings yesterday thinking I must have set textures to low but nope, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with the settings.

Hmmm, I'm actually pretty meticulous about that kind of stuff myself. I am running at 1440p with everything ultra and to my eyes the edges are nice and smooth without any issues.

labx

Banned
guys a question. Is the game worth it for single player experience. Or I will miss a whole lot if I don't buy de SUPER EXPENSIVE SEASON PASS for the multiplayer?

Woorloog

Banned
Single player seems awesome, hows snap map though?

SnapMap is, based on short testing, really great concept. A lot of potential.
Console limits hurt PC a bit, as do lack of alternative tilesets, pieces with windows, open pieces and lack of skybox.
4 player max is also rather limiting, if apt for Doom since Doom began with 4 player MP...

But, even with those limits, it is really, really good, i think. If they upgrade it a bit, say up to 8 players, it will be even better.

EDIT One problem is that the SnapMap UI is made for controllers and is utter shit for KB/M. Plug in a controller if you're on PC and have one.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I need this game's soundtrack. Normally don't like this kind of music but it's so good.

I was ready to start a new game on Nightmare, but then I learned that secrets, upgrades, trials, etc don't carry over.

Hey, I like Doom, but I'm not sure I want to find all that stuff again. This just seems dumb to me. It really does hurt the replayability of the game.

Hawk269

Anyone have any links to where I can get the PC version at a discount? I was going to get the Xbox One version, but I want to play this at 4k/60fps. Thanks for anyone that can help.

Woorloog

Banned
I was ready to start a new game on Nightmare, but then I learned that secrets, upgrades, trials, etc don't carry over.

Hey, I like Doom, but I'm not sure I want to find all that stuff again. This just seems dumb to me. It really does hurt the replayability of the game.

Selecting played mission doesn't allow automatic progress to next one either... That is annoying.

SnapMap is, based on short testing, really great concept. A lot of potential.
Console limits hurt PC a bit, as do lack of alternative tilesets, pieces with windows, open pieces and lack of skybox.
4 player max is also rather limiting, if apt for Doom since Doom began with 4 player MP...

But, even with those limits, it is really, really good, i think. If they upgrade it a bit, say up to 8 players, it will be even better.

EDIT One problem is that the SnapMap UI is made for controllers and is utter shit for KB/M. Plug in a controller if you're on PC and have one.

Im not interested in multiplayer snap maps, more of the single player variety

dmr87

Desktop wallpaper or whatever you want to do with them.

7kQb.png

9kQb.png

8kQb.png

And with that, on to Uncharted 4.

Zemm

This is by far the best controlling/feeling FPS game I've ever played on a console. It is incredibly smooth and feels great just to turn and move.

FrsDvl

Man, Hell is something else, the atmosphere is fantastic. But damn, did the difficulty go up lol. I'm considering taking it down a notch.

DoomGyver

I canceled my preorder when I heard review copies weren't being sent out until the last minute. Based on these initial impressions I think I'm going to pick it up once I'm done with UC4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, Hell is something else, the atmosphere is fantastic. But damn, did the difficulty go up lol. I'm considering taking it down a notch.
Hell is a huge difficulty spike but the gameplay really comes alive and gets a lot more dynamic. I'm having a really hard time finding secrets there compared to the UAC base though.

I canceled my preorder when I heard review copies weren't being sent out until the last minute. Based on these initial impressions I think I'm going to pick it up once I'm done with UC4.
DO IT

They complement each other well.

Kolgar

What a treat this is. Not just the game, but seeing all this happiness in an OT.

Best game and thread in recent memory.

DryvBy

Anyone want to join us in some multiplayer in the next few minutes? Even if you suck, it's ok. We're just looking to shoot things.

My PSN is DryvBy.

seph1roth

Level 4, again, amazing level design.

Never thought current ID could make a REAL 90's FPS after Rage or Doom 3.

Ok, it's NOT like Doom 1/2, it's more like Quake 1/2 in map design with some arena fights like Serious Sam, which is awesome.

If someone had told me 2 years ago that there would be a real successor to 90's FPS, i would laughed in his face.

Nightmare mode is very difficult, i'm dying again and again and again...shit.

btw, is there an option to deactivate Glory Kills?

epmode

btw, is there an option to deactivate Glory Kills?

There's an option to disable the graphic effect but demons still get staggered so you'd wind up wasting ammo.

I never thought I'd say this before playing the game but I like the glory kill mechanic.Encourages risky play. Maybe the animations could stand to be a few frames shorter though.

nubbe

There's an option to disable the graphic effect but demons still get staggered so you'd wind up wasting ammo.

I never thought I'd say this before playing the game but I like the glory kill mechanic.Encourages risky play. Maybe the animations could stand to be a few frames shorter though.

There are powerups that speed up the animations and other stuff
so the gameplay is in slow motion at the beginning

Neiteio

Welp!

Despite only being halfway through UC4 and still playing Star Fox Zero (great game!), I just stopped by the store and got these:

doomhaulffur5.jpg

The other Doom thread and this OT sold me. I'm SO READY for a fps where the focus is on fast speed, nonstop running/jumping, dancing around bullets, a ton of guns, punchy shooting, cool monsters and great map design. I hear they even brought back the bright red color scheme for the cacodemon!

...but I'll have to wait until later tomorrow, since I have my best bud's wedding first!

Top Bottom