• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
So, I haven't read anything about the reversible cover yet. Anyone? Let's see it, didn't we vote for one?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My copy is currently installing the update! Can't wait!

...alternate cover?

*checks inside of case*

HOLY SHIT
I'm still proud that I may have had a part in getting that made. Bethesda responded directly to my tweet about a throwback cover saying they would look into it after the main cover was revealed.

The Flash

Banned
It was for the ce edition.

I want it :(

So, I haven't read anything about the reversible cover yet. Anyone? Let's see it, didn't we vote for one?

doom-cover.jpg

justjim89

Is the game still acting like it's hidden on Steam for everybody? Doesn't show up on my profile or recently played, can't view achievements, and nothing about it shows up in the social feed.

I just got through Hell. What did we do to deserve this remarkable game?

I can't wait to replay this to see what it's like with a different kit.
We didn't deserve this game. id slaved away while we shat on them at every step. So glad they ignored the detractors and stayed focused on their vision.

antitrop

My copy is currently installing the update! Can't wait!

...alternate cover?

*checks inside of case*

HOLY SHIT

Yeah, that was their response to the backlash for the original cover. Fair compromise.

They did a pretty cool reversible for The Evil Within, too.

Neiteio

I'm still proud that I may have had a part in getting that made. Bethesda responded directly to my tweet about a throwback cover saying they would look into it after the main cover was revealed.
Bless your soul, the alternate cover is fucking amazing. Best cover in my entire PS4 collection.

Nick_C

Posted in the PC thread about an hour and a half ago, but no one could help me out. I've got a "modest" PC that I picked up from a friend a couple of months ago and I'm wondering if anyone here could offer any insight.

i7 4820K @ 3.7 GHz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 760 MSI OC 2GB

What kind of performance should I expect?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the codex entries is basically the hieroglyphic version of Doomguy choking a demon

I want a raw image file of that to make into the Steam custom art

Neiteio

Forge from Halo but with the ability to make singleplayer and co-op maps.
You can make maps in this game??

How complex can they be? Can you place enemies? How much storage do they take on PS4?

This fucking game

And there's co-op? Any chance there's splitscreen co-op? (I'm guessing not)

Justinh

That friggen box art is so cool I think I'm going to buy an Xbox One physical copy next month even though I don't think I'd like playing this game with a controller as much.

Also, didn't see this video posted here, but watching Rocket Jump Ninja be fucking sneaky with the teleporter in multiplayer makes me want to try that too (if I ever get bored of the campaign that is - fat chance). I only had regular grenades equipped during the beta, and I didn't even use them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bw30irtnw&feature=youtu.be&t=364

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/278473128255381391/D37F855940264A50700A869DD9D67E1F1CB76F40

I died laughing at every one of those Demon Legends on the DOOM SLAYER
lol. I missed the second one the first time around. I made sure to find it when I went back.

QuikNez

Love the game so far and was braceing for diehard Doom fan disappointment... Bless your heart Bethesda, this is how to remake a classic into current generation tech.

As a small aside, I fucking love the imp fireballs, love the sounds as they fly by, the physics and weight behind the arcs, everything... Except I wish the imps were larger hairy bastards like the originals instead of little creepy looking motherfuckers.

Back to it.

nubbe

Posted in the PC thread about an hour and a half ago, but no one could help me out. I've got a "modest" PC that I picked up from a friend a couple of months ago and I'm wondering if anyone here could offer any insight.

i7 4820K @ 3.7 GHz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 760 MSI OC 2GB

I would guess 60FPS@ Medium settings, which look good too

kinggroin

Banned
I don't think I've ever played a game that knows exactly what it is more than this game (if that makes any sense). This is incredible. I grinned like an idiot through that entire introduction sequence.

Amazing you said this.

Just this morning when told to describe the game to a buddy, I said the following, "There is like zero bullshit in this game. No pretense, no extra fat, no uncertainty to what it's supposed to be"

Cmagus

Just finished the game and what a ride it was. I was really impressed with the game and it's overall design. The progression in this game is spot on and throughout the entire game I felt myself getting better. The power ups came a a nice rate and at no point did I feel very over powered but I also never felt weak and the game always seemed to keep everything at the right challenge level of not incredibly hard but not entirely easy.

The level design is great and traversing the arenas felt very fluid and some of the areas could straight up be a multiplayer map their so well designed. I still need to go back chapters and explore to find the secrets and I'm actually looking forward to doing so.

The weapons feel powerful and the upgrade system is simple and effective which is a major plus. I also really liked the glory kill system it became so natural by the end and worked really well.I'm impressed with the health system as well I like that killing enemies gives you health so you can keep going instead of always having to worry about searching for health. It clear they focused on keeping you in the action.

The story was also pretty decent as well and I really liked how Doom guy just simply didn't give a shit at all.There were a few parts that gave me a good laugh and I'm wondering if that was all on purpose, like they obviously had to have a story but in the end it wasn't the most important thing.

If you asked me how i would like to see an old school shooter done this is it 100%, no bloated content, no beating the player over the head with cutscenes and useless banter just straight gameplay which I like.

Snap map is pretty decent as well. I messed around with it last night for an hour or so and it seems pretty robust and while not my thing I'm interested to see what dedicated people do with it. I'm gonna check out the multiplayer next and see what has changed since the beta.

kinggroin

Banned

i7 4820K @ 3.7 GHz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 760 MSI OC 2GB

Not great. Everything set to low at 900p should net you 40-50fps.

Momentary

Banned
I just discovered that unlocking classic doom stages in the game unlocks the complete classic stages to play when you load up the game. This is just damn amazing. It's also pretty hilarious when you play yourself up in the classic stages.

I can't believe it took me this long to notice this on the menu select screen

Dubz

I have a suggestion to make MP way more fun. Play the original Doom soundtrack in Spotify with headphones on. Thank me later.

Nick_C

I would guess 60FPS@ Medium settings, which look good too

Not great. Everything set to low at 900p should net you 40-50fps.

I'm gonna say no to that unless his card is 4gb. I have a 960 and it doesn't matter what I change, my FPS stays the same around 45. Only thing that helps is lowering the resolution.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my GPU/CPU in the next couple of months, so I'll have to revisit this game after that.

Neiteio

Currently playing this. It's so fast and smooth -- GOTTA KEEP MOVING! The imps are super-fun cannon fodder with their fireballs and Space Pirate-esque wall clings. And terraformed Mars is gorgeous.

You don't need to keep going out of your way to promote star fox zero. I promise you
Many hate without trying, so I share the love! Plus, I often mention what I'm playing regardless (hence the UC4 mention). :)

The Flash

Banned
Currently playing this. It's so fast and smooth -- GOTTA KEEP MOVING! The imps are the super-fun cannon fodder, I gotta say. And terraformed Mars is gorgeous.

Many hate without trying, so I share the love! Plus, I often mention what I'm playing regardless (hence the UC4 mention). :)

Don't worry. SFZ is on my to buy list ;)

Reebot

This is one of those rare games where every part is built to entertain.

There's no pointless story, no forces alternate gameplay moments, no restrictive arsenal.

So good.

Anung

Un Rama
I just finished this. Game was fantastic and the later environments were killer. Good bosses too. Campaign was a little longer than I was expecting which was appreciated. Managed to upgrade the suit fully and get the runes but missed the praetor chips D: Going to have to do a fresh run for that. Really looking forward to playing again on a higher difficulty and hunt down all the missing secrets and story fluff.

Definitely getting the platinum for this.

Mupod

that Hell ramp up is real. My railgun, rocket shrapnel and stun bombs are realer. Ultraviolence feels just right considering the wonky checkpoints.

How can you guy stand the zoomed-in melee finishers? This shit gave me a headache fast.

they aren't as repetitive later. For one, the enemy variety expands really quickly. The extra health and short breather they give is nice but they can still be risky to pull off. I'm not spamming them like I was in early game so they feel just about right at this point.

That last fight in
Kadingir Sanctum
was bullshit, not because the demons were particularly hard, but because the arena was really annoying to traverse. I was getting killed getting stuck while trying to grab a ledge or running off one level and landing literally in front of a
Mancubus
below. I also got instagibbed twice by a
Baron of Hell
because I was running one direction and since the demon AI always knows exactly where you are but you don't have a radar to know where they are, it literally jumped from below right on top of me and there was no way to avoid it because I didn't know it was below or jumping right at me.

I don't mind a challenging fight but when the arena or cheap AI are killing me instead of the demons shooting me fair and square, I tend to get pissed. What's funny was there wasn't a single moment where I thought I had to lower the difficulty from Ultra-Violence because I was being killed in cheap ways and all I had to do was avoid cheap deaths and I would clear it.

Also this is one game where you don't get Quad-Damage the moment you see it. Uh uh. No, save that shit cause you're gonna need it when there's
2 Mancubus and 2 Demons of Hell
out in the arena all at once. Good thing with Quad-Damage, a locked on 3-rocket burst is an instagib on those bastards.

BigDug13

Loving this game so far.

But is it really true that the only DLC planned is multiplayer stuff that will fragment the already small community and no new content/expansions for the single player (aka best part of the game) are planned?

Top Bottom