• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Metal-Geo

Isn't there a mission select screen? I think I saw that. I dont know how it affects saves, though.
After you finish a level through mission select, you get sent back to the menu. It shouldn't override your campaign progress / checkpoint.

You also spawn with every weapon and upgrade you left off in campaign. Which makes the earlier levels so much fucking easier! This is probably also the reason why I'm unable to increase the difficulty from Ultra Violence to Nightmare...

TL;DR: start a new game slot. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know what black magic id invoked to get this game looking so good at 60fps on console. The framerate holds up really well even when things get hectic and it has the best motion blur and DoF I've ever seen combined with quality AA and, despite dynamic res, stays pretty much at 1080p on PS4.

The multiplayer beta ran relatively well (by my standards) so the campaign should run well too, right?

(And my standards is anything above 20FPS on low/medium settings)

Diancecht

I am having a blast with this game. No nonsense story, fun as fuck gunplay, amazing M&B controls. Can't wait to go to Hell, people are saying it's fucking fantastic.

After you finish a level through mission select, you get sent back to the menu. It shouldn't override your campaign progress / checkpoint.

You also spawn with every weapon and upgrade you left off in campaign. Which makes the earlier levels so much fucking easier! This is probably also the reason why I'm unable to increase the difficulty from Ultra Violence to Nightmare...

TL;DR: start a new game slot. :p

That's nice that it doesnt interfere with your current checkpoint. Do secrets/wweapons found in mission select carry over into your overall progress?

Example 1: If I find a little doomguy that I previously missed, does it save/count?
Example 2: If I find a weapon or upgrade that I missed, is it unlocked when I go back to my current checkpoint?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit, I've already been playing for like 8 hours or so and that's where I'm at.

I've been pretty thorough about exploration, though.

I spent like 3 hours on the Foundry alone looking for secrets. I usually get most of them, except for the throwback levels and the occasional times when you get locked out of an area and can't go back.

ironcreed

Banned
I am having a blast with this game. No nonsense story, fun as fuck gunplay, amazing M&B controls. Can't wait to go to Hell, people are saying it's fucking fantastic.

Oh yes, you will be grinning from ear to ear. Once you get to hell it is instant classic level good.

Metal-Geo

So let me get this straight. If you die in Ultra Nightmare, the entire thing is over? I have to start at the 1st stage?

The entire game slot gets whiped out.

While playing on Ultra Nightmare you'll constantly get to see some markers of differemt players as well. Which is a fun little thing...! But can be quite distracting at times.

That's nice that it doesnt interfere with your current checkpoint. Do secrets/wweapons found in mission select carry over into your overall progress?

Example 1: If I find a little doomguy that I previously missed, does it save/count?
Example 2: If I find a weapon or upgrade that I missed, is it unlocked when I go back to my current checkpoint?

I only checked when searching for Doomguy figurines, which were indeed saved for that particular game slot.

Can't say the same for weapon/Doomguy upgrades, however. Sorry.

Karak

Hell is just amazing.

Agreed. The switchbacks that cross over one another vertically is probably my favorite part of the game. Also that first set of steps in the game on the way to the yellow door, became this place I would go to just momentarily to catch my thoughts.

Momentary

Banned
The entire game slot gets whiped out.

While playing on Ultra Nightmare you'll constantly get to see some markers of differemt players as well. Which is a fun little thing...! But can be quite distracting at times.

I was about to start it, but now... I think this will be one game that I just don't get all the achievements on. I don't want that kind of depression.

So am I correct in my observations that this game is worth it for the SP alone?

I thought the MP beta was really quite bad and it turned me off the game.

ironcreed

Banned
So am I correct in my observations that this game is worth it for the SP alone?

I thought the MP beta was really quite bad and it turned me off the game.

If you like DOOM and want to see it modernized on steroids, while still retaining it's soul and core design philosophy then you will absolutely love this game.

BiggNife

Beat the campaign

I liked it a whole bunch

So, story wise, am I correct in thinking
that this game is canonically a sequel to Doom 1/2/64? If I parsed the Doom Slayer scrolls correctly, it sounds like the marine had previously defeated the demon hordes in hell (1), outside of hell (2), and then went back to hell to finish the job (64), at which point he was captured and rendered comatose in his tomb.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know why I was surprised at the name for the trophy for killing the Cyberdemon, but I was.

Shoot It Until It Dies

i rented this from gamefly, but i've never played a doom game before. what is Hell? a horde mode or something?
You literally go to hell.

SkylineRKR

Dem feels when you line up Siege mode, and happen to body 2 hell knights simultanously. The front one jumped, and his corpse toppled mid air. The gibs are amazing. I may be in Hell, but I am the boss here, not you guys.

This game is a love letter.

vakarian32

This game is surprisingly really damn good, I had my doubts after the MP beta but so far I've been having so much fun. Loving the old school gameplay and map design, killer soundtrack, can't wait to play more after work.

My body is ready for this! I heard one of the compositions off of the OST and that was enough to get me to pick this game up today! Since I haven't really built a new computer since after Doom 3 came out on PC, I picked it up for PS4. I just really don't have the time or effort to lean into PC gaming again. I will say the PC version looks fantastic though! :(

From everything I am seeing, is this better than Doom 3? There has been a ton of positive buzz about it. I didn't mind Doom 3, but for being the next Doom, it was nothing revolutionary, especially 10 or so years after Doom II.

Karak

From everything I am seeing, is this better than Doom 3? There has been a ton of positive buzz about it. I didn't mind Doom 3, but for being the next Doom, it was nothing revolutionary, especially 10 or so years after Doom II.

In my opinion its a huge improvement

I knew since the first gameplay trailer, that this is gonna be epic, but maaaan! Nothing feels this awesome, and if you read the lore, the re-made story is kinda cool too!
Took this pic from the credits, if anyone's interested (insta wallpaper for me)

Screenshot-Original.png

SkylineRKR

Yeah this is better. I liked Doom 3, but it was slow and you had to read logs for keycodes etc.. it wasn't really Doom although the enemies and weapons were there.

New Doom is more like the first 2 games, its fast as fuck and all you do is put bullets through demon's faces while rapidly zig zagging across the arena.

Wanted to take a shot at Ultra-Nightmare but I thought I should try Nightmare first. Died 3 times in the second level so I think I'll try Ultra-Nightmare later.

HiiiLife

New game plus is a thing right? Would love to take my experience to a harder difficulty and REALLY search for the secrets.

I still wish the space marines face would show in the middle of the screen, showing how much damage he's sustaining, like in the old ones. That'd be a crazy feature to see.

One can dream.

Metal-Geo

Ya can't really compare the two. Though in the end I do prefer DOOM 2016, they're both very different games. 2016 is way, way, waaaay closer to the original's formula.

Teknoman

I don't know what black magic id invoked to get this game looking so good at 60fps on console. The framerate holds up really well even when things get hectic and it has the best motion blur and DoF I've ever seen combined with quality AA and, despite dynamic res, stays pretty much at 1080p on PS4.

So...maybe I should turn motion blur and DoF back on for PC?

Top Bottom