• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I haven't finished playing the campaign mode yet, but so far I am very impressed by what I have played. I honestly might go as far as to say it's one of the best first person shooters released in years! The fact that it's such a simple game makes this all the more impressive. What we have in DOOM is a game that is completely dependent on its' core gameplay mechanics. No nonsense run and gun gameplay taking the form of blasting the demon hordes on Mars and Hell itself. Excellent level design and enemy behaviors bring the sublime shooting mechanics to life, engrossing the player in the game world without the need for the heavy handed world building Doom 3 was bogged down by. The Hellspawn shamble, run, jump, clamber and climb across a surprisingly vertical landscape, forcing the player to be constantly on the move or otherwise face a gruesome death. Secret locations dot the landscape, allowing the player to take the time to explore the game world more thoroughly should they wish to find guns earlier, power-ups or neat fan service. I really look forward to spending more time with the game!

I think I'm on the last level or at least close, just killed the Shoot It Until It Dies. Man this game has been a real joy for me. Probably not GOTY tier in a year with stiff competition but at least top 5, if not top 3

Mossybrew

I like the combat but not the level design. Been running circles around the Foundry for like an hour now, "where do I go next?" is not my idea of fun gameplay and has always been a pet peeve. The map doesn't help my brain at all.

NotLiquid

I like the combat but not the level design. Been running circles around the Foundry for like an hour now, "where do I go next?" is not my idea of fun gameplay and has always been a pet peeve. The map doesn't help my brain at all.

You get used to the map eventually. I'd say it's only important to figure it out once you start scavenging for secrets. The level design also gets exponentially better though. If you have trouble figuring out how the map works, just follow the waypoints.

Hazmat

I picked this up based on the impressions here and goddamn this game is just fun. They really fucked up by giving people a free taste of the ho-hum multiplayer instead of the campaign.

Being low on ammo and tearing a Hell Knight apart with the chainsaw is badass.

Daximuss

Anyone else publish your first Snapmap yet? Here's mine if anyone is interested in playing it:

Map Name: Mars Andromeda Cooling Station
Code: 7NE96FCN
Player Count: Single Player or Co op
Game Type: Escape (No Timer)
Setting: Cold Environment
Author: Yesterdaze_Hero (PSN)

So typically because I dont have as much time for games anymore and I'm not as good at them as I used to be, I play most games on normal or even easy.
I started off this game on what I thought was Normal (Hurt Me Plenty) but decided that was just too easy, even for me. The game didn't feel exciting. I bumped it up one to Ultra-Violence and now this feels right. The game feels much more interesting, I'm moving around a lot more, and I'm actually wary of higher level demons.

With this game I consider Ultra Violence to be equivalent to the average game's Normal.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, The moment you get to hell shit gets insane. Was the moment I really fell in love with the game.

It's fucking amazing.

Just at the start of Mission 10 now, Gunna fist the rest tomorrow.

See, I think this game is jaw dropping and I am not even where people say that it gets awesome... Wow :D.

Zemm

I wonder if it's too late for them to change the season pass and DLC plans. I think it's obvious the DLC being multiplayer stuff just isn't going to do well, and that more single player stuff is the way to go, some meaty expansions would be lovely.

Just tried an Ultra-Nightmare run. Only got to the first big encounter on the second level before succumbing.

Can't wait to see someone do a full run. Although saying that, there is still a random element to the attacks and spawns. A full Ultra-Nightmare run may take a while.

Edit: for those that don't know Ultra-Nightmare means you don't respawn; one life.

Only with Doom am I unsure whether this is a typo or not.

new_classic_doom_item_berse.gif

I wonder if it's too late for them to change the season pass and DLC plans. I think it's obvious the DLC being multiplayer stuff just isn't going to do well, and that more single player stuff is the way to go, some meaty expansions would be lovely.

Remake Knee-Deep in the Dead and give me that as DLC instead of MP trash.

HiiiLife

The damage the Gauss Canon can do. Upgraded siege all the way and the crater I put into these demons is ridiculously satisfying.

Had a holy shit moment when I saw the damage model. This and Gears have the craziest gibs

Mossybrew

You get used to the map eventually. I'd say it's only important to figure it out once you start scavenging for secrets. The level design also gets exponentially better though. If you have trouble figuring out how the map works, just follow the waypoints.

Another 40 minutes and I am still stuck in this godforsaken level. It has sapped all of my enthusiasm for the game entirely.

Simo

The damage the Gauss Canon can do. Upgraded siege all the way and the crater I put into these demons is ridiculously satisfying.

Had a holy shit moment when I saw the damage model. This and Gears have the craziest gibs

That was me when I shot the Gauss cannon and watched a Mancubus blow up and all that was left was him sitting there with his top half gone save for his spine and whatever was left of his jaw attached. lol

Karak

Really enjoyed ACG's review. But I don't know if this game is for me, with that I especially mean the incredibly fast gameplay. In that way it's definitely not like other shooters.

Thanks man.
And ya I agree it is indeed fast as hell. I know for some its an issue and I can see that. But its just fantastic to play.

HiiiLife

That was me when I shot the Gauss cannon and watched a Mancubus blow up and all that was left was him sitting there with his top half gone save for his spine and whatever was left of his jaw attached. lol

Can't decide which is better between the Gatling Gun Sentry mod or the Siege on Gauss. The animation for the sentry gun mod is so sweeeeet. Laying waste to demons.

Shifty

Thankfully all that is needed for that to happen is a new mode playlist to be added. It could be done fairly easily in Snap-Map, but that would be limited to four players.

The only thing I'd want past that is the air control ability from the campaign. MP feels sooo sluggish in comparison.

NotLiquid

don't think it's mentioned much but the fact that there is no reloading crap is SO.GOOD.

Modern shooters have conditioned me to reach for that R key constantly when I want to reload but I still feel a little confused when it turns out that it switches my weapon mod.

It's such a strange feeling. In a good way.

Shifty

Modern shooters have conditioned me to reach for that R key constantly when I want to reload but I still feel a little confused when it turns out that it switches my weapon mod.

It's such a strange feeling. In a good way.

I bound my Super Shotgun to it.

Problem solved.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The only thing I'd want past that is the air control ability from the campaign. MP feels sooo sluggish in comparison.

True. That and movement at haste powerup speeds.
But really, those are all tweakable in custom games already, so I would assume it'd be fairly simple to make a playlist with them.

george_us

Using a BFG shot on it is a free back to full HP as it stuns it and gives you enough time to shoot it so much that it drops 200+ hp. Also you can stop the "got walled in and now he does stuff" thing with a BFG shot
I stupidly wasted all of my BFG ammo on
the first phase.
Still got 'em though. Fantastic fight. The combat in this game is incredibly addicting.

T-0800

I've only played the MP beta and haven't played the full version yet as I'm still downloading an update.

That said. What quick fixes (or longterm) could ID do to 'fix' the multiplayer? Or is it unfixable?

Another 40 minutes and I am still stuck in this godforsaken level. It has sapped all of my enthusiasm for the game entirely.

Is there not a waypoint marker to follow?
And cant you click in the left stick for it to show you exactly where the waypoint is?
And isn't there a detailed map?

What's goin on man?

Raptomex

I beat the game on ultra violence and I'm going back through to collect shit. If I want to play on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare I have to start new game? I guess I have to find everything again?

I beat the game on ultra violence and I'm going back through to collect shit. If I want to play on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare I have to start new game? I guess I have to find everything again?

Isn't there a mission select screen? I think I saw that. I dont know how it affects saves, though.

Mossybrew

Is there not a waypoint marker to follow?
And cant you click in the left stick for it to show you exactly where the waypoint is?
And isn't there a detailed map?

What's goin on man?

My spatial awareness must be shit. Didn't know about the clicking in left stick thing. I'm trying to follow the waypoint but the map is so three dimensional I keep running into dead ends.

I can see the point I'm supposed to go but it's beyond a half open door that's on fire. I can't find a way around this shit.

Top Bottom