• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Klyka

Banned
Think I'm about 2/3 in now, definitely have a few complaints with it;

-I get a glitch where my map keeps scrolling when I open it up, happens fairly frequently. Gets fixed by dying or resetting checkpoint.
-Some poorly placed checkpoints and they feel too far apart at times. Becomes problematic when you fall off the map since the checkpoints usually occur just before or after combat. There was one part one with a long bridge where I basically lost a good 4 or 5 minutes of progress twice because of it.
-Not only is there no manual saving or way to go back to prior levels to get stuff you missed (in the same playthrough), there's appears to be points of no return near the end of some levels also. Caused me to miss a pretty good rune that I planed on going back for, unless I missed an alternate route.

Otherwise I'm still having a blast, anything else is relatively minor.

you can go back to any level in the mission select, whether you beat the campaign already or not

Good lord the Pinkies are tough bastards in this game. What used to be like the third weakest Demon in Doom 1 and 2 is now worse then Cacodemons. Although maybe its because I'm screwing up this Rich get Richer Rune challenge and the rocket launcher is pretty shit for their football tacle

Finished it. I really liked it, it's a good game - but I'm a little surprised by the giddiness surrounding it. It's not that good in my opinion.

A nice throwback, but the boss fights sucked, and
the last few chapters seemed to really run out of ideas
. Fantastic combat, though, and some really nicely designed encounters.

EDIT: The lack of New Game + is a HUGE oversight.

pa22word

Good lord the Pinkies are tough bastards in this game. What used to be like the third weakest Demon in Doom 1 and 2 is now worse then Cacodemons. Although maybe its because I'm screwing up this Rich get Richer Rune challenge and the rocket launcher is pretty shit for their football tacle

The rail gun (or whatever its called in this game) eats them for lunch, especially the charged attack. Once you see them just line up your shot with them and it's a OHKO long before they reach you.

I wonder if this does well if Bethesda will go for a quake reboot next..

Make it more Lovecraft and medieval like quake 1 to differentiate it from doom. Could be awesome.

A-V-B

Think I'm about 2/3 in now, definitely have a few complaints with it;

-I get a glitch where my map keeps scrolling when I open it up, happens fairly frequently. Gets fixed by dying or resetting checkpoint.

For me, this was down to an input error that caused a key to get "sticky." Just hit the key/move the stick in the direction the map is facing to re-establish a de-press. Fixed it for me.

I think that was a design decision, like each new playthrough you start fresh like in Doom 1 and 2. You can go back to the old levels with your stuff at least

It would be nice to have a NG+ option though

That's fair, I can understand it. I would have really liked to play back through on a harder difficulty with all of my gear intact, though.

Just fought and beat (late game boss)
Cyberdemon
Took me a few tries but I finally made it.

That rush! I really love the game up until now, very very nice single player, which is enhanced by the awesome soundtrack <3

Stoze

you can go back to any level in the mission select, whether you beat the campaign already or not

Right, but can you go back, collect stuff you missed, exit, and then have it apply to where you were in the campaign?

If so my mistake. I just loaded up a previously level and saw I had to do the encounters again and assumed new collectibles wouldn't carry over. edit: Just tried it, you can totally collect stuff and exit right after you get it and it saves. Awesome.

Momentary

Banned
Just beat the game... God damn.
The ending was such a tease. Give me that sword key thing for more melee kills

This campaign has so much heart man. Id did a wonderful job. The combat was amazing and
the boss fights were awesome.

Doomguy is the best protagonist in any first person shooter ever created.

Shifty

Holy shit, switch-canceling gun combos are insane in this game.

Ex:
Gauss Cannon Primary -> Combat Shotgun Primary -> Combat Shotgun Charge Burst -> Super Shotgun Primary -> Super Shotgun Primary -> Repeat

You can put out damage more or less constantly by switching weapons regularly, it's nuts. I just ruined the guardian bosses with it.
Switching to ESDF and mapping my weapons to QWRTAGCV\ was a good call.

Whelp, just went through Argent Tower for a second time to get all the stuff I missed and when the mission ended I just got a black screen... Fucking why.
Edit: I guess it saved everything before the game crashed, thankfully.

LoveCake

I was in the multiplayer beta threads constantly complaining about how bad it was.

I'm really enjoying the SP. They're nothing alike really.

Keyboard/mouse helped the multiplayer a bit but it's just inherently not that good.

That is interesting to hear about the multiplayer, as I mentioned I really didn't like it, but I have seen only positive things about the single player, thanks for the insight.

I've only finished level 2 but I believe it's around 12 hours aversge depending on difficulty. So far it's been an absolute joy to play this masterpiece.

It looked very nice and was very smooth in the multiplayer BETA but I just didn't like the gameplay feel of the multiplayer, and the quote above others seem to have an issue also (maybe not the same as mine though, but none the less, people are not enjoying it), twelve hours is not too bad for me, thanks.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Holy shit, switch-canceling gun combos are insane in this game.

Ex:
Gauss Cannon Primary -> Combat Shotgun Primary -> Combat Shotgun Charge Burst -> Super Shotgun Primary -> Super Shotgun Primary -> Repeat

You can put out damage more or less constantly by switching weapons regularly, it's nuts. I just ruined the guardian bosses with it.
Switching to ESDF and mapping my weapons to QWRTCV\ was a good call.

This makes me with the console versions weren't limited to two weapon swaps + weapon wheel.

Shifty

This makes me with the console versions weren't limited to two weapon swaps + weapon wheel.

Yeah, I feel like the consoles have no chance in that regard. I guess you could technically do it since the weapon wheel slows down time, but it'd be cumbersome as hell.

They should have mapped it to the d-pad. Shell weapons, bullet weapons, plasma weapons and misc weapons on each of the 4 directions, boom.

Granadier

Multi could use a mode with no demons, no loadouts, and weapons on map + powers.
Old school style.

But this is really putting the cart before the horse, since much of modern gaming "drama" comes at the expense of interactivity. Functionally, many modern games act more like CGI films with an elaborate scene selection, and reviewers seeking to validate the medium give out accordingly high scores. The interactive, challenge aspect is almost entirely separate from the real meat and purpose of the "game," which is a pretty bizarre inversion of priorities.
That seems to be assume that a game needs to be 1) challenging 2) about skill/player agency/mechanics 3) deep/complex interactive to be good, engaging, or enjoyable

A game completely focused on story can be equally as good as a completely gameplay-focused Doom

One doesn't override the other

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could be making this up. It could have been a bug but towards the end, I picked up a Berserk powerup and basically mashed m1 when surrounded by demons without even looking as you want to do when you're berserk. And I swear, I went through a portal, came out the other side and killed a demon on the other end. Like I animated from one click through the portal to the demon on the other side of the zone to rip his fucking head off

I also had the glory kill range rune on

Woorloog

Banned
I could be making this up. It could have been a bug but towards the end, I picked up a Berserk powerup and basically mashed m1 when surrounded by demons without even looking as you want to do when you're berserk. And I swear, I went through a portal, came out the other side and killed a demon on the other end. Like I animated from one click through the portal to the demon on the other side of the zone to rip his fucking head off

I also had the glory kill range rune on

The game probably simply activated the kill immediately after TPing rather than activating through it.
Alternatively you pulled something through the TP, though i doubt that's possible.

SkylineRKR

Just fought and beat (late game boss)
Cyberdemon
Took me a few tries but I finally made it.

That rush! I really love the game up until now, very very nice single player, which is enhanced by the awesome soundtrack <3

I love how he's actually easier when you get into his face, melting him with super shotgun.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I do have a few questions. I missed some secrets and a armor upgrade. If I start a new game do I keep all my upgrades and all my levels on power-ups? Or is it just replay chapters only? If its this, do upgrade progression reset?

Thanks!

I haven't finished the game yet, but I do have a few questions. I missed some secrets and a armor upgrade. If I start a new game do I keep all my upgrades and all my levels on power-ups? Or is it just replay chapters only? If its this, do upgrade progression reset?

Thanks!

It's chapter replay, but you keep all your upgrades.

Also, this game was a hell of a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I did have to turn off motion blur though, so I wouldn't puke.

Talisker

I'm on the third level I think and so far, ultra-violence is a breeze. I just circle strafe these fools and even hellknights go down without ever touching me... Does this get harder or should I restart on Nightmare?

Cheerio

ufo8mycat

Having soooo much fun with this game. I am someone who has not been a fan of FPS's for a long time now, as I found the ones released in recent years weren't fun.

It's funny that the FPS that has revitalised the fun factor for me in a FPS, is the one which just stuck to the old school FPS formula.

The gunplay is fast, intense and so much fun! Looking for secrets is incredibly addictive!

Awesome game!!

I'm on the third level I think and so far, ultra-violence is a breeze. I just circle strafe these fools and even hellknights go down without ever touching me... Does this get harder or should I restart on Nightmare?

Cheerio

Get to the Hell level then decide if Ultra Violence is right for you.

That's when there's a pretty significant difficulty spike.

Shifty

Multi could use a mode with no demons, no loadouts, and weapons on map + powers.
Old school style.

This absolutely. I just jumped into the MP for the first time, and while competent, it's no Quake 3 Arena.

It's a shame, could have been an incredible package if they'd done that.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Can you pound those Mick Gordon beats at all times during story mode or does the music come intermittently?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
My surround setup is loving DOOM, even its selection screen is really making the subwoofer and the rest sing. Finished the UAC level, I thought I had explored it but I was way way off. Almost half of the level untouched... Can hardly believe there is so much more :), it did not feel like I was trying to rush through it, but there are spits I could have used a double jump.

The gameplay... full of so many nice little moments. The way the DOOM marine just lifts himself up if you are jumping facing an object within your reach feels so satisfying. I thought the glory kills would make it a lot less enjoyable, but I am finding them useful to save up on ammo and health packs and to dispatch the enemies faster. In a way it feels like the way I was using the melee attack in Halo CE... avoid attacks, charge while shooting, and melee attack. The better I am getting, with practice, at it the more I am enjoying it like I was enjoying the older games and seeing its way to expand upon that.

Granadier

This absolutely. I just jumped into the MP for the first time, and while competent, it's no Quake 3 Arena.

It's a shame, could have been an incredible package if they'd done that.

Thankfully all that is needed for that to happen is a new mode playlist to be added. It could be done fairly easily in Snap-Map, but that would be limited to four players.

Top Bottom