• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

BlackJace

Lotta love in here. To think a short while ago I precieved an overall sense of gloom over this game.

I intend to pick it up sometime this summer.

Teknoman

Beat the campaign

I liked it a whole bunch

So, story wise, am I correct in thinking
that this game is canonically a sequel to Doom 1/2/64? If I parsed the Doom Slayer scrolls correctly, it sounds like the marine had previously defeated the demon hordes in hell (1), outside of hell (2), and then went back to hell to finish the job (64), at which point he was captured and rendered comatose in his tomb.

Thats what I was thinking the instant they said he was the only one to make it there and back. Also how angry he was at Hayden's first speech trying to explain things. That and humans / UAC already being familiar with hell tech. No other reason why the armor would be enshrined with a brand on it.

I'm very close to completing DOOM 100 percent. Can't stress enough how much I love this game.

CiipZ0MU4AE8eql.jpg:large

Sullichin

Got wrecked a couple more times by the last boss. Geeez. Feel like I'm missing something.

Hows everyone feel about the boss fights in this game in general? I thought they were pretty good, but i'm not sure how I feel that they're all in the back half of the game

Anung

Un Rama
Only 2 trophies to go to get the platinum. Just need to beat the last challenge and find the last collectible. Been an absolute blast and the games quality speaks for itself that I'd binge complete it this quickly.

CiinW4aXIAAKz-R.jpg

Anyone know where this collectible is located? I've selected each mission and scanned around but just can't find it D:

Friction

Just downloaded this on XBO yesterday. Played and the campaign is sooooo good.

I'd even dare say miles better than TNO (and that was great).

With this and Overwatch in a couple of days, I feel like I'm in FPS heaven.

After being dissapointed by the recent Halo and CODs, this is definitely feeling to me like a resurgence.

myca77

Looks like you do have to start a new game to play on a higher difficulty. At least nightmare and higher.
It feels as though the balance of the game is tied to the weapon/armour/health upgrades. Starting a ng+ on a higher difficulty would probably made the first few levels way too easy and the latter levels too difficult.

First game I've bought day 1 since portal 2. Picked it up digitally on ps4 after having a feeling I'd enjoy it. Not played many games over the last year, so apart from a severe lack of fps skills with the controller for an hour or so (which is nothing to do with the game itself) I'm truly impressed. About half way through and really hope I don't have to work till too late tomorrow so I can play a bit more. I'm probably gonna double dip on the PC the first time it's on sale on steam too.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
A secret didn't register for me on level 2. Playing on PS4. Had to replay the level and get to that point. Just a heads up.

I hope this game doesnt record number of deaths. I've been testing some settings regarding game recording which means ive been repeatedly messing around in a small portion, dying, recording the test clip, restarting the game and doing it again.

If so, this isn't going to be pretty. Haha

PC Gaf I need some help. Have a 4k screen and trying to play at 1080p since I do not have a rig that can play Doom at 4k. However, whenever I select 1080p video it reduces the screen to a quarter size. Any way I can fix this?

PC Gaf I need some help. Have a 4k screen and trying to play at 1080p since I do not have a rig that can play Doom at 4k. However, whenever I select 1080p video it reduces the screen to a quarter size. Any way I can fix this?

Are you playing in borderless window mode? You might have to set it to fullscreen to scale automatically.

I also play on a 4k screen (my tv) at 1080p, but I have nvidia to output to that screen at 1080 so the game doesnt know the difference.

Grief.exe

You have windowed selected likely.

Select 1080p, then select fullscreen. If that doesn't work, you can generally force fullscreen with alt + enter.

bathsalts

Try setting your desktop resolution to 1080p as well

.la1n

No clue what to do at the awful Argent Energy tower level,almost at the top,close to the ridiculous Rune challenge...

Go back down to the platform below the platform with the rune challenge, turn around and jump up to the ledge above the moving train/tram (or whatever it is.) Jump into the area with the ammo crate, go to the opposite end of that back area with the crate and look up - wah lah new ledge to jump to.

Took me a frustrating 30+ minutes to realize something that simple. Probably the only case of bad level design and frustration in the entirety of the game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A secret didn't register for me on level 2. Playing on PS4. Had to replay the level and get to that point. Just a heads up.

The one little problem I have with the game, is how glitchy it is. I sometimes collect 4 copies of the same key item, combat challenges that says "Punch 5 enemies in their asses" require 30 ass punches to register, enemy groups fail to respawn after killing me once, etc.

But....still the best goddamn FPS in nearly two decades.

Sullichin

Go back down to the platform below the platform with the rune challenge, turn around and jump up to the ledge above the moving train/tram (or whatever it is.) Jump into the area with the ammo crate, go to the opposite end of that back area with the crate and look up - wah lah new ledge to jump to.

Took me a frustrating 30+ minutes to realize something that simple. Probably the only case of bad level design and frustration in the entirety of the game.

I couldn't tell if this level was platforming genius or just frustrating bullshit. I definitely died a lot in this one.

FrsDvl

I keep thinking I'm almost at the end, but it seems like there is no end to this game. 14 hours and 23 minutes on the clock, now I'm at The well. It can't be much further can it?

So I was testing the Game DVR on Windows 10. I couldnt get it to record sound no matter what setting I changed. I looked online and it appears that it typically cannot do any audio recording if your setup is set to surround sound. Stereo only, and even then it won't always work.
While poking in the DVR settings I saw an option to record my microphone. I dont have one connected, but it gave me an idea. Due to my sound card, in my recording choices I have an option called "What U Hear" which I guess is just system audio.

So I told Game DVR to record my mic and then set my recording device to system audio. Now my recordings have audio.
Funny workaround and it means I could never record game audio and mic at the same time, but worth the mention for you win10 PC players.

Also FYI if you have an xbox controller plugged in, all you do is hit the logo button and it brings up a little game DVR window while you're playing that you can use to take screenshots, record the last X minutes or start and stop recordings.

The best part of the story in this game is the cult not wanting Doomguy to wake up because he will kill all the demons (again) and ruin their plan.

It's like the opposite of an ancient evil awakens, now its an ancient pissed off guy awakens

BiggNife

Thats what I was thinking the instant they said he was the only one to make it there and back. Also how angry he was at Hayden's first speech trying to explain things. That and humans / UAC already being familiar with hell tech. No other reason why the armor would be enshrined with a brand on it.

Yeah, it definitely seems to be what they're implying, but I was wondering if anyone knew
if the stuff in the Doom Slayer scrolls lines up exactly with the previous games, since it seems intentionally vague at points and I haven't played through all of the old games.

leng jai

The biggest problem with this game is the sound mixing. The guns don't sound as poor as they did in Wolfenstein but they are still nowhere what I would call great. Considering the tone and gameplay the weapon sounds should be incredibly meaty and satisfying but they somehow sound flat. Is the Doom guy a ninja or something? You can barely hear his footsteps. By default the voices are mixed in too loud but there's a slider for that so that's not really any issue.

The sound design for the OST however is fantastic. The dynamics seem to flow perfectly with how the on screen action is going, and it fits in perfectly. Would I ever listen to it outside of the game? No, but for the purposes of the game I don't really have any complaints.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
^ I agree the guns could've sounded better but I'm glad the footsteps are silent. Not a fan of big sounding footsteps in games.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The only gun I had an issue with was the rail gun I think? When it was zoomed in shooting it just sounds like a "pew pew" gun.

I noticed that Steam says I've played 6 hours of this. Seriously if you had asked me I would have said about 3 max. I'm kind of confused.
I believe I am on
level 5 and I'm told there are 13 total
so I'm about a third done. It feels way too quick to already be a third through because it felt like 3 hours but I cant argue with the fact of 6 hours. That's a solid number.

Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

Raptomex

It feels as though the balance of the game is tied to the weapon/armour/health upgrades. Starting a ng+ on a higher difficulty would probably made the first few levels way too easy and the latter levels too difficult.

First game I've bought day 1 since portal 2. Picked it up digitally on ps4 after having a feeling I'd enjoy it. Not played many games over the last year, so apart from a severe lack of fps skills with the controller for an hour or so (which is nothing to do with the game itself) I'm truly impressed. About half way through and really hope I don't have to work till too late tomorrow so I can play a bit more. I'm probably gonna double dip on the PC the first time it's on sale on steam too.
Well there is a level select but it seems you can only select up to the highest difficulty you played. Which annoys me. I can understand not selecting Ultra Nightmare but why can't I choose Nightmare? Now I would have to start a new campaign to play through Nightmare and collect everything again. That's what bothers me. It seems unnecessary. Ultra Nightmare makes sense.

Raptor

Guns sound proper, could be better but at least is not wolfenstein, i have no complain on that, loading time however could be better.

Ricker

Yeah thanks,finally saw that ledge...in Hell now but taking a break for today,it's getting way too hard for my taste at the moment.

TheRed

This is my GOTY, hopefully it gets some love in shooter of the year awards, but l expect Battlefield and Overwatch to get more love. Seems like it's getting some more attention than New Order did at launch at least.

Bought this game with no expectations and in need of somthing to play after U4 and DS3. I was completely blown away. The gameplay is nothing exhilarating gory fun. Prabably my thrid favorite goty behind ds and uncharted, and I'm only maybe 3 hours in.

The Flash

Banned
This is my GOTY, hopefully it gets some love in shooter of the year awards, but l expect Battlefield and Overwatch to get more love. Seems like it's getting some more attention than New Order did at launch at least.

I think it has a chance to win Best Shooter. Overwatch, CoD, and Battlefield will fight for Best Multiplayer.

ezekial45

Banned
I love playing this game, but it sounds like my PS4 is gonna explode after about 20 minutes. I might have to jump to PS4K sooner than I expected.

pa22word

Well there is a level select but it seems you can only select up to the highest difficulty you played. Which annoys me. I can understand not selecting Ultra Nightmare but why can't I choose Nightmare? Now I would have to start a new campaign to play through Nightmare and collect everything again. That's what bothers me. It seems unnecessary. Ultra Nightmare makes sense.

From what I understand it's because Nightmare and UN change things in the levels themselves, whereas I'm too young to die! through Ultra Violence are all exactly the same baring stat tweaks to you and the enemies.

Top Bottom