• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratfall

this new tournament interface is gonna be so nice. no more checking liquipedia just to figure out what the fuck is happening in a tournament

EVERYTHING RIGHT
ZDsxCCG.gif

but where is my in-game UI redesign.

Leeg is about to streamline theirs http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/en/page/game-features/hud-update

time to play catch-up, Valve. I want all of that screen real estate. ALL OF IT.
I'm with you. The in game hud is just so big. I think the one hindering them is because of hud skins.

So I'm guessing the current players MMR will not be carried into the new version of the game, some people who bought accounts for a higher bracket won't be very happy with that
laugh.gif

So it looks like the concept of Radiant and Dire heroes is going away?

The hero list isn't in any particular order anymore. And the hero cards don't appear to have radiant or dire icons anymore either.

Hylian7

So I'm guessing the current players MMR will not be carried into the new version of the game, some people who bought accounts for a higher bracket won't be very happy with that
laugh.gif

No, I would think it would be carried over. I mean Hero MMR is probably a different thing from the solo and party MMR we know today.

Hylian7

If all of that is just sitting in a database why wouldn't it carry over?

Exactly.

For those that aren't into programming or anything like that, I think something should be made clear: The move to Source 2 and overhaul of the UI doesn't mean it's a completely ground-up, new game. Hell you can actually play in Source 2 in the Workshop Tools right now if you want. The game itself is still probably going to be using a lot of the same code it always has, even since beta in 2011. The UI overhaul will of course be different, but there is no reason stuff like all of your cosmetics, MMR, Dota profile, settings, and whatever else can't be transferred over in the Reborn version. In fact I'm sure it probably will.

One thing I am curious about though is if the Reborn Beta will replace the test client, or will it actually be cross-compatible with Source 1 Dota? I guess we will find out about that next week, but I kind of doubt it is cross-compatible, however I don't know the ins and outs of Source and Source 2.

HUD skins make it difficult to redesign the in game UI right off the bat.

I know. I'm sure it would require effort, but it would certainly be worth it. We're talking about something that has been considered "large" for years (dare I say, "claustrophobic"). Something that when changed will improve the in-game experience greatly for years to come. Such a change/update/revision is not being proposed without regard to understanding the time commitment that would be involved. I think most would simply agree that the value that updating the HUD provides is worth the investment. I imagine the community would volunteer to help convert existing HUD skins if need be and the opportunity presented itself.

Here's a compromise idea:

0.) Create a new HUD design as good as the new menu UI is.

1.) Create a setting in the menu to enable "legacy" UI or the new UI. The "legacy" UI would grant access to all of the legacy HUDs that may or may not get updated by their creators. This also provides incentive for content creators to update their HUD skins to continue to sell them to the crowd who prefer the new UI.

2.) The new UI would have no skins to start with and content creators can only create new HUD skins for the NEW UI. This new UI would be the default UI for all tournaments.

3.) Let select community members organize and present revised versions of HUDs if the original creator/Valve doesn't have time to do it. Valve can pick which version of the revised HUDs they like and make it available.

4.) Officially depreciate the old HUD in a couple of years after all of the old HUDs have been updated..

Valve's burden in this is in making a new UI that matches the quality of this new menu UI, providing a toggle switch for the old vs new UI, and providing the tools for creators to make/remake existing and new HUDs. Then it'd just be a matter of approving them and setting a target date in the far future when the old HUD will be officially turned off.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just refund all HUD skins with chest tokens. i'm sure most players would be happy in that case.

I don't know how the HUD skin creators should be compensated, however.

Just refund all HUD skins with chest tokens. i'm sure most players would be happy in that case.

I don't know how the HUD skin creators should be compensated, however.

Umm no. I own nearly every set from nearly every chest, so I'd just have money float off into thin air if they did that. Especially since I've amassed like 15 HUDs.

DrPizza

Banned
I know. I'm sure it would require effort, but it would certainly be worth it. We're talking about something that has been considered "large" for years (dare I say, "claustrophobic"). Something that when changed will improve the in-game experience greatly for years to come. Such a change/update/revision is not being proposed without regard to understanding the time commitment that would be involved. I think most would simply agree that the value that updating the HUD provides is worth the investment. I imagine the community would volunteer to help convert existing HUD skins if need be and the opportunity presented itself.

Here's a compromise idea:

0.) Create a new HUD design as good as the new menu UI is.

1.) Create a setting in the menu to enable "legacy" UI or the new UI. The "legacy" UI would grant access to all of the legacy HUDs that may or may not get updated by their creators. This also provides incentive for content creators to update their HUD skins to continue to sell them to the crowd who prefer the new UI.

2.) The new UI would have no skins to start with and content creators can only create new HUD skins for the NEW UI. This new UI would be the default UI for all tournaments.

3.) Let select community members organize and present revised versions of HUDs if the original creator/Valve doesn't have time to do it. Valve can pick which version of the revised HUDs they like and make it available.

4.) Officially depreciate the old HUD in a couple of years after all of the old HUDs have been updated..

Valve's burden in this is in making a new UI that matches the quality of this new menu UI, providing a toggle switch for the old vs new UI, and providing the tools for creators to make/remake existing and new HUDs. Then it'd just be a matter of approving them and setting a target date in the far future when the old HUD will be officially turned off.
I agree that they should do this. A more streamlined UI would definitely be a good thing. As annoying as it is, I don't think Valve can let themselves be hamstrung by existing UIs. What if they want to add new features (especially spectator-type features) that need additional buttons?

t0rment

so apparently i spent 1 hour on a game that didn't exist. how about instead of fucking hats you work on your servers your pos company. dota would be 100x better if it was in another company.

Exactly.

For those that aren't into programming or anything like that, I think something should be made clear: The move to Source 2 and overhaul of the UI doesn't mean it's a completely ground-up, new game. Hell you can actually play in Source 2 in the Workshop Tools right now if you want. The game itself is still probably going to be using a lot of the same code it always has, even since beta in 2011. The UI overhaul will of course be different, but there is no reason stuff like all of your cosmetics, MMR, Dota profile, settings, and whatever else can't be transferred over in the Reborn version. In fact I'm sure it probably will.

One thing I am curious about though is if the Reborn Beta will replace the test client, or will it actually be cross-compatible with Source 1 Dota? I guess we will find out about that next week, but I kind of doubt it is cross-compatible, however I don't know the ins and outs of Source and Source 2.

I know this won't be a new game from scratch, they are just porting it into a new coding environment with better/new tools that hopefully will ease the process of making changes into the game.

But they haven't said yet if they will make any changes regarding matchmaking system and since they are adding a new type of metric for single hero performance I was just wondering.

Keikaku

Is there someone in the GAF group called Pied Piper? I can't remember if I added him because he's a GAF member. Dude needs to be more positive in the game.

There are 87 HUDs in the game. Remaking them is not really an option. Even organizing the contributors to remake them is a difficult task. We're talking defunct tournaments, contributors who have long since left Dota, contributors who lost the original PSD files, and so on.

It's not comparable to Wraith King at all. He had 2 sets. And one of the contributors of a Skeleton King Set didn't even remake his, even when asked, and Valve just remade the cape, tinted the armor green, and called it a day. So 50% of the SK sets were redone by Valve, and kind of lazily.

shira

Is there someone in the GAF group called Pied Piper? I can't remember if I added him because he's a GAF member. Dude needs to be more positive in the game.

I guess things did not go according to
dac15_cool.gif
plan

There are 87 HUDs in the game. Remaking them is not really an option. Even organizing the contributors to remake them is a difficult task. We're talking defunct tournaments, contributors who have long since left Dota, contributors who lost the original PSD files, and so on.

It's not comparable to Wraith King at all. He had 2 sets. And one of the contributors of a Skeleton King Set didn't even remake his, even when asked, and Valve just remade the cape, tinted the armor green, and called it a day. So 50% of the SK sets were redone by Valve, and kind of lazily.

Valve can easily say - hey workshoppers we are doing Source 2.0 HUD's. If you want to keep geting royalties update - if not no $

Valve can easily say - hey workshoppers we are doing Source 2.0 HUD's. If you want to keep geting royalties update - if not no $
Testing and implementing almost 90 HUD skins all over again is a monstrous task...

This is also completely ignoring the HUDs no longer sold because they were tied to tickets that are no longer sold.

Sibylus

Banned
I wonder if a HUD panel on/off toggle (disables everything except the panels for skill icons, minimap, hero icons, bb icons, inventory icons, etc) would be an acceptable compromise to the minimal HUD problem.

In that case, I would think it should theoretically be scalable then.

But only if the creators still hold the original files, otherwise I'm not sure how.

I say remove them from the game altogether, just refund all owners with trash items of the same value, I never liked them to begin with, they were a mistake they are nothing but trash.

Hylian7

But only if the creators still hold the original files, otherwise I'm not sure how.

I say remove them from the game altogether, just refund all owners with trash items of the same value, I never liked them to begin with, they were a mistake they are nothing but trash.

Nah, I totally disagree, HUDs were a great idea.

I think having a Legacy HUD option is the best way to solve this. That way people attached to the big chunky HUD still get their old HUDs whereas everyone else moves on.

Haly

What's your name? I need to see your name in-game, either in the public NeoGAF chat or elsewhere to send you an invite.

The HUD size serves as a balance mechanic. The game would be very different if you could all of sudden scale down your hud and gain an increase in your field of vision.
Reworking your entire HUD with no promise of any extra sales doesn't really seem like a good way to go about things.
This is the worst idea I have ever read in this thread.

Haly

The game is different enough now that it is worth looking at.

Haly

May i also join? I'll message you.

Miss Bones
(I have no idea what the public neogaf chat is)

On the upper right side of the screen in the home page, next to the chat box, click "+" and search for NeoGAF, and join that channel (just Neogaf). Once you're in there, say something in chat and Ill send an invite around once I see it.

Falk

that puzzling face
DOTATV EXPANDING
We're combining the best of DotaTV with the best of streaming. DotaTV, powered by Steam Broadcasting, will now provide detailed stats and graphs for you to browse while also supporting full tournament video production. These streams are capable of 1080p at 60 frames per second, while carrying an embedded data feed for stats and graphs, and are accessible from inside the Dota 2 client as well as on the web. Need to pause for a moment or just missed some action? You can pause and rewind anytime you want. You will also find third-party streams for that game directly inside the client.

Holy shit.

yeah, HUD was the same size as WC3's so that the camera's view was identical to dota 1's.

<insert 4:3 vs 16:9 debate here>

Artanisix

"I say remove them from the game altogether, just refund all owners with trash items of the same value, I never liked them to begin with, they were a mistake they are nothing but trash."

facepalm.gif
FailFish.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom