• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DotA 2 Item Trading |OT|

Don't take this the wrong way, but a lot of traders do 1 Key for 10 Commons.
Take drop rates into consideration, which is what defines supply, and the demand isn't all that big since everyone can trade Common for Common.

My advice is to trade Commons/Uncommons for other items you want or use them as sweets for other trades.

If you're really only trading to get keys, in the occasion you have 8 commons someone else wants, you can most likely get 1 key for them, but it's way too bothersome to do this unless you have a shop and trade as an hobby to be honest.

Some folks don't like waiting for drops, and it is't like TF2 where you can just idle and get random drops. Maybe 4 commons for a key depending on the in-store price. Uncommons that can't be bought in the store stay at one key because the buyer is eliminating the risk of gambling.

I said commons/uncommons are 2 for 1 meaning I will sell certain uncommons 2 for one key; while also selling certain uncommons with commons for one key. If you do not think it is fair I don't know what to tell you. I have at most 4-5 items in my backpacks of which were found from drops. Most of it is from "unchesting".

drkOne

Some folks don't like waiting for drops, and it is't like TF2 where you can just idle and get random drops. Maybe 4 commons for a key depending on the in-store price. Uncommons that can't be bought in the store stay at one key because the buyer is eliminating the risk of gambling.

I said commons/uncommons are 2 for 1 meaning I will sell certain uncommons 2 for one key; while also selling certain uncommons with commons for one key. If you do not think it is fair I don't know what to tell you. I have at most 4-5 items in my backpacks of which were found from drops. Most of it is from "unchesting".

I addressed some of your points on my post, but I'll try to explain better.
The guys that don't like to wait for drops will just try to find someone who has what they want and want what they have for Commons and Uncommons.

It isn't like TF2 because you can't get drops while idling, true. But TF2 does have a weekly cap that is pretty much a supply cap.
On TF2 you get around 5~ scrap for idling every week. Which is 1.66 reclaimed.

By my rates a Common is around 1 reclaimed.
Hopefully this clears out the "TF2 has idling" part.

Do you mean Summer items or Stranges with items that can't be bought from the Store?
Look at TF2 trading if you want to understand the uncrating "profit". You are rarely going to get your key's worth out of the items you get, unless you get an Unusual.

The market is flooded with those items because some guys love to gamble. Only unchested Rares usually go for a key or more.
Yes, you do remove the gambling by selling them for a key, but as you can imagine as long as you can easily find people selling it for less than your price, they will go for the lowest price they can find.

If you're talking about Summer items, it's still only the Rares that will go for one key or more.
Tiny Skin goes for higher because of the demand and the Hook even higher because it has more demand and less supply.

I don't judge whether trades are fair or not, only the two parts involved in a trade can judge trades. I'm just giving advice and trying to educate the traders with what I've learned from personal experience.

I also know that the Summer items you currently hold have been dropping in price since they came out. Supply rises, demand drops.
Once the items become available in the store the price will drop even more. How many rares can you sell for one key? It's hard to even sell most Commander's pieces for one key nowadays, and those are drop-only.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looking for Dragonmaw and Wyrm Shield of Uldorak

http://tf2b.com/dota/Ikuu stuff on 2nd page, might be willing to trade some other items.

Ethereal Flame Speed Demon courier?

What kind of value am I looking at for this thing?

Not sure, I'd post it to www.tf2outpost.com and ask for keys/buds and see what offers you get, all of the ones on there just now are Sunfire.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/3012365 has people offering them for 5 buds, which are like $30 each. The buyer rejected them at that, so $100 maybe? Not really an expert on trading.

Dreavus

Opened and Ancient Mask of Intimidation from a summer chest, looking to trade it. Don't really know the prices on stuff but looking for Sven or Gondar stuff.

I addressed some of your points on my post, but I'll try to explain better.
The guys that don't like to wait for drops will just try to find someone who has what they want and want what they have for Commons and Uncommons.

It isn't like TF2 because you can't get drops while idling, true. But TF2 does have a weekly cap that is pretty much a supply cap.
On TF2 you get around 5~ scrap for idling every week. Which is 1.66 reclaimed.

By my rates a Common is around 1 reclaimed.
Hopefully this clears out the "TF2 has idling" part.

Do you mean Summer items or Stranges with items that can't be bought from the Store?
Look at TF2 trading if you want to understand the uncrating "profit". You are rarely going to get your key's worth out of the items you get, unless you get an Unusual.

The market is flooded with those items because some guys love to gamble. Only unchested Rares usually go for a key or more.
Yes, you do remove the gambling by selling them for a key, but as you can imagine as long as you can easily find people selling it for less than your price, they will go for the lowest price they can find.

If you're talking about Summer items, it's still only the Rares that will go for one key or more.
Tiny Skin goes for higher because of the demand and the Hook even higher because it has more demand and less supply.

I don't judge whether trades are fair or not, only the two parts involved in a trade can judge trades. I'm just giving advice and trying to educate the traders with what I've learned from personal experience.

I also know that the Summer items you currently hold have been dropping in price since they came out. Supply rises, demand drops.
Once the items become available in the store the price will drop even more. How many rares can you sell for one key? It's hard to even sell most Commander's pieces for one key nowadays, and those are drop-only.

Not really. It is much easier to have multiple accounts on Team Fortress 2. The way I look at it, the "buy in" for Team Fortress(trading) is any purchase from the mann co. store. The "buy in" for DotA 2 is $39.99($29.99 now). (I don't deal with people selling the invites because there is a chance for a total loss.) I could have 6 TF2 accounts at that price that I could use exclusively for Idling. True enough some websites (and people) give away invites to DotA, but many people don't know about them or are too late and are still on the waiting list.

The simple fact that you just can't farm like you can on TF2 is enough reason for any one DotA drop to cost more than any Tf2 drop(which you proved). This will change with the official release, but for now I don't think so. I'll reiterate; just as you say there are people willing to take those chances at gambling there are folks who aren't willing to take those chances.

I really think you are misunderstanding me.
Do you mean Summer items or Stranges with items that can't be bought from the Store?]

Now I am misunderstanding you. Last time I checked you couldn't buy strange items nor summer items from the store. o_O

When you say "you" do you mean me or people in general?

Even if Valve does release the rares in my inventory I am sure they will cost more than $2.49.

Why not pay a key ($2.49) and get what you want and let that be the end of it? I have opened 5 chests in the row before and have received the same item. I don't mind because this is something I like doing. Someone out there could think..."no way..that could be me getting Demon Claive 5 times" when what they really want is a Death Wielder and will gladly pay 2 keys for it.

I am really in no rush (as you can tell) the game is still in beta. Who knows what factors Valve will implement that will change the economy.

Are commons/uncommons your market? I haven't had the chance to even look at your backpack but I'll tell you this, I'm not trying to "step on your toes".

Edit: just got my 3 keys that valve forgot to give me and unchested 2 tiny skins and an unusual sunfire wardog bazinggggggg..

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hmm now I'm interested as well... have gotten a couple of people saying they're interested in buying my unusual courier...

What would one get, roughly, for an unusual enduring wardog with the sunfire effect?

Grakl

hmm now I'm interested as well... have gotten a couple of people saying they're interested in buying my unusual courier...

What would one get, roughly, for an unusual enduring wardog with the sunfire effect?

Anywhere between 25-35 keys, I believe.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
reddit is pretty awful for trading stuff. only had 1 successful trade so far. last person wanted my ice tiny skin for 2 normal keys. he puts the keys in and says if i want more stuff. i said no and hes like "okay bye"

wtf?

anyways, i have:

3x dragonclaw hooks - 3 summer keys each. 2 each if you want all of them

tiny ice skin - 2 summer keys

ice crystal bow - 1 key

drkOne

Not really. It is much easier to have multiple accounts on Team Fortress 2. The way I look at it, the "buy in" for Team Fortress(trading) is any purchase from the mann co. store. The "buy in" for DotA 2 is $39.99($29.99 now). (I don't deal with people selling the invites because there is a chance for a total loss.) I could have 6 TF2 accounts at that price that I could use exclusively for Idling. True enough some websites (and people) give away invites to DotA, but many people don't know about them or are too late and are still on the waiting list.

The simple fact that you just can't farm like you can on TF2 is enough reason for any one DotA drop to cost more than any Tf2 drop(which you proved). This will change with the official release, but for now I don't think so. I'll reiterate; just as you say there are people willing to take those chances at gambling there are folks who aren't willing to take those chances.

I really think you are misunderstanding me.

Now I am misunderstanding you. Last time I checked you couldn't buy strange items nor summer items from the store. o_O

When you say "you" do you mean me or people in general?

Even if Valve does release the rares in my inventory I am sure they will cost more than $2.49.

Why not pay a key ($2.49) and get what you want and let that be the end of it? I have opened 5 chests in the row before and have received the same item. I don't mind because this is something I like doing. Someone out there could think..."no way..that could be me getting Demon Claive 5 times" when what they really want is a Death Wielder and will gladly pay 2 keys for it.

I am really in no rush (as you can tell) the game is still in beta. Who knows what factors Valve will implement that will change the economy.

Are commons/uncommons your market? I haven't had the chance to even look at your backpack but I'll tell you this, I'm not trying to "step on your toes".
It's not easier to get a TF2 account. TF2 accounts have a minimum $5 wallet charge. So do Dota 2 accounts.
Invites go for 2 keys, which you can easily buy for $5.
It's not justifiable to have multiple Dota 2 accounts though.

If you idled 6 accounts you'd get 3.33 refined weekly, which is around 1 Uncommon at your rates. Does idling still sound worthy?

I meant plural you. It applies to everyone but the guys who are lucky.
People do pay so they don't have to gamble. The prices on the Summer items the day they came out were like this
Uncommon - 1 Key
Rare - 2 Keys
Tiny - 4 Keys
Hook - 6 Keys

As you can see, people were willing to overpay to avoid the gamble. It was impossible to lose money opening Summer chests.
Why? Because chests were rare so the supply was really low.
Nowadays you'll have an hard time selling the Rare weapons for a key. Why? Because most people who wanted the weapons already have them, demand drops, and chests keep getting opened, supply rises.
Nowadays, as I said, it's not as easy to get your key's worth out of the chests, even though the Summer chest is still the one with the most likely profit.

Imagine this other situation. You want a Deathwielder. You decide that you'll try your luck at opening the chest. If you end up pulling an Ice Tiny you can just trade for the Deathwielder and get your key back.

Why will you have an hard time selling for higher than the current black market price, even here on GAF? Well, imagine you're selling X for 3 keys, the market price is 1 key. I can come here and offer endless Xs for 2 keys, I'm still making profit, and no one will ever buy yours since it's more expensive.
(Don't misunderstand this as a threat, I'm just using an example to explain why black market price matters)

By the way, looking at TF2 is a good way to predict some stuff. The market will behave in similar ways since it's not too different.
Why didn't I buy Summer chests at 1 key? Because I already knew that they'd end up going 40 for 1 key at the end of the event as everyone wants to get rid of them as they're going to become useless.
Why don't I buy items as they come out? Because I know that supply is low and demand is high, so I'm likely overpaying for the items. Why pay twice as much when I know that they'll eventually settle at the "fair price" in a month or so.
How do I know the items will end up in the Store? Because Valve always does that at the end of an event.

I really advise against unchesting, it's a money sink, you won't make any profit doing it. There are people who get their keys with a lot less effort than us (scamming, sharking, whatever) who open hundreds of chest weekly. The market is flooded with Stranges and from my experience the demand for Stranges isn't really that high.

If you don't mind losing money, and like to gamble hoping for a courier, go for it.

And you're not stepping on anyone's toes. As I said on my first reply to you, I don't even bother selling Commons/Uncommons, I keep mine so I can trade for other Commons/Uncommons I want. Which was my advice to you.
The only Uncommons I sold were Tide's Tricorn, because those went for a key a month ago.

I'm sorry for the offtopics, I just decided to post in the thread rather than PMing because I feel that this could possibly help other people understanding how this economy works.

reddit is pretty awful for trading stuff.
Me trying to get invites for my friends on Reddit:

[H] 3.5 Keys [W] 2 Invites

A guys adds me, I tell him to pick items, or that I could give him a TF2 key for that 0.5.
"I'll take Odachi and the new DK Helm"
"Those two for both invites?"
"No. 3 keys + those"
"This was fun. Goodbye."

But trading is awful everywhere outside of private communities. TF2Outpost is the worst. Everyone is underpaying trying to make a profit just by reselling…
Reddit is awful because everyone adds you and lowballs. Not to mention the shitty Unusual courier business that goes around in there. Friends who raise the current offers on couriers between them, trying to make people believe those couriers are really worth that much.
A guy bought an Ethereal Flame Speed Demon there for 45 keys, painted it orange and started asking for 200 keys…

LukeSmith

I'll just start updating this regularly, or reposting it with updates:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bangshed/inventory/

[H]
  • Hammer Time x4
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
    [*]Elemental Ice Infusion x1
  • Strange Modifier Gold Earned 2x
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Strange Beard of Cycles [Kills for Nature's Prophet]
  • Strange Prey Tracker's Aspect Mask [Kills for Juggernaut]x2[/I]
  • Assorted Commons

[W]
  • Unusual Paint - Gold
  • Tidehunter Crates
  • Quad Ravage Strange Modifier
  • Players Gushed Strange Modifier
  • Courier's Bought Strange Modifier

Items in italics I only have 1 of, I'll still trade them if they are listed here - and if you see something that isn't listed here just ask.

Tenck

[H]
  • Hammer Time x4
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Strange Prey Tracker's Aspect Mask [Kills for Juggernaut][/I]
  • Assorted Commons

[W]
  • Unusual Paint - Gold
  • Tidehunter Crates
  • Wards Placed Strange Modifier

Items in italics I only have 1 of, I'll still trade them if they are listed here - and if you see something that isn't listed here just ask.

I have strange wards placed modifier. Can I have the strange gold earned modifier?

Thx drk I see what you mean. I switch strategies and you are right I have gotten some sweet items since and have met some nice folks as well.

That being said I am looking for the new DK armor or the Snake WD mask if anyone has it.

Alrighty I am looking for Strange Bounty Hunter Items

I have some strange jugg items I'm willing to trade

I have Some summer items I am willing to give up for them.

PM me if you have Strange BH items!!

LukeSmith

[H]
  • Hammer Time x4
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
  • Elemental Ice Infusion x2
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Assorted Commons

[W]
  • Keys (Summer preferred)
  • Unusual Paint - Gold
  • Tidehunter Crates

Forgot to include keys earlier, also just got another Tiny ice dress. Key me!

drkOne

[H]
  • Tide's Pirate Booty Set
  • Commander's Helm of the Flameguard
  • Dragonbone Helm of Sir Davion
  • Deathwielder
  • Hammer of Holy Words
  • Defender of the Ivory Isles
  • Radiant Crystal Pauldrons
  • Pirate Slayer's Tricorn
  • Summer Chests
  • Check the rest of the Commons/Uncommons in my 3rd backpack page: http://tf2b.com/dota/dkne

[W]
  • Magus Magnus Invoker Set
  • Cuffs of Oak and Yew
  • Bloodmist Belt
  • Bloodmist Pauldrons
  • Offers!

Dynamic3

[H]
  • Hammer Time x4
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Assorted Commons

[W]
  • Unusual Paint - Gold
  • Tidehunter Crates

Would you take a Tide crate for one of your Ice bows?

LukeSmith

[H]
  • Unusual Yak: Sunfire, Colors 255, 255, 255
  • Unusual Frog: Luminous Gaze, Colors 183, 207, 51
  • Hammer Time x3
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
  • Tiny Armor Elemental Ice Infusion x3
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Strange Prey Tracker's Aspect Mask [Kills for Juggernaut]
  • Assorted Commons

The Yak I have:
XWnSD.jpg

m2Vb9.jpg

[W]
  • Defense Courier
  • Unusual Paint - Orange
  • Tidehunter Crates

updated with new courier

skasaha

Neo Member
i have 4 summer crates and a bunch of other crates that i'm not sure anyone would trade them for. :X
i do have a girth of the swordmaster (sven) and a stone helmet (axe) that i hope i could trade for other commons since they're duplicates. and i don't even play both these heroes.

http://tf2b.com/dota/skasaha

if i'm asking too much please tell me what reasonable offers would be, since i'm a total noob at this. thanks!

EDIT: ferny added me but went offline. i'm not sure about your timezone and whether it's night (you're sleeping) or not but i'll be offline for 2 days or so. yeah. thanks :)

i have 4 summer crates and a bunch of other crates that i'm not sure anyone would trade them for. :X
i do have a girth of the swordmaster (sven) and a stone helmet (axe) that i hope i could trade for other commons since they're duplicates. and i don't even play both these heroes.

if i'm asking too much please tell me what reasonable offers would be, since i'm a total noob at this. thanks!

EDIT: ferny added me but went offline. i'm not sure about your timezone and whether it's night (you're sleeping) or not but i'll be offline for 2 days or so. yeah. thanks :)

pm'ed

Dynamic3

Would you take a Tide crate for one of your Ice bows?

[H]
  • Unusual Yak: Sunfire, Colors 255, 255, 255
  • Unusual Frog: Luminous Gaze, Colors 183, 207, 51
  • Hammer Time x3
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Strange Prey Tracker's Aspect Mask [Kills for Juggernaut]
  • Assorted Commons

The Yak I have:

[W]
  • Defense Courier
  • Unusual Paint - Orange
  • Tidehunter Crates

updated with new courier

?

Ferny

Get at me when you get on. I think I added ya then went to bed. I'll be ready when you are :D

LukeSmith

[H]
  • Hammer Time x3
  • Wheel of Fortitude x3
  • Dragon Claw Hook x1
  • Ice Crystal Bow x2
  • Strange Tidehunter Pirate Hat x2
  • Ancient Mask of Intimidation (jugg helm) x2