• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Key begging and IceFrog Worship

Meeru

Banned
An inhouse tourney may take a bit too long. Anyways, GhostRidah will you be using one of your keys for yourself? Whats your Steam name?

Jenga

Banned
Just give it out randomly. Less rage, less bullshit.

There's no way I can see a gaf tourney being successful without stepping on a lot of toes. Knowing GAF, some two teams of random people who rarely post who are DOTA gods will rape everyone and no one will be happy.

happened with L4D (hell I hang out with the crew who used to be L4D GAF), it'll happen here

Hylian7

Meeru said:
An inhouse tourney may take a bit too long. Anyways, GhostRidah will you be using one of your keys for yourself? Whats your Steam name?
Did I miss something, why did GhostRidah get 5 keys?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Guess I'll finally add myself to the list. Was unsure about it at first since I figured only professionals and hardcore fans where in. Only a few hours of HON in(Visual mess was just too hard), and about 1000 hours of LOL. Yeah, I play Janna :O
Might as well get my ass kicked now by the best heh.

Hylian7

Jenga said:
asked icefrog. icefrog gave him a bunch to help hand out keys to the GAF community
Makes sense now. Well, here's hoping I win one somehow. I've been playing a bit of HoN lately to try to get ready for Dota 2, LoL was my first MOBA game, and I wanted to graduate from that. I'm still okay at the genre in general.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just curious GhostRidah, when did you email Icefrog?

Sibylus

Banned
Jenga said:
Just give it out randomly. Less rage, less bullshit.

There's no way I can see a gaf tourney being successful without stepping on a lot of toes. Knowing GAF, some two teams of random people who rarely post who are DOTA gods will rape everyone and no one will be happy.

happened with L4D (hell I hang out with the crew who used to be L4D GAF), it'll happen here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31331700&postcount=449

Some sort of visible contest seems necessary, at least.

Sibylus

Banned
Certainly would not be prudent to shun the benefactor's wishes, though yeah, probably would indeed take too much time to set up an inhouse tourney (providing for team selection drama, doing a rigorous competition, etc).

Jenga

Banned
Botolf said:
Certainly would not be prudent to shun the benefactor's wishes, though yeah, probably would indeed take too much time to set up an inhouse tourney (providing for team selection drama, doing a rigorous competition, etc).
we could do a skill based posting competition

i already won so where's my pm

Sibylus

Banned
Jenga said:
we could do a skill based posting competition

i already won so where's my pm
You got it sometime around March 2002. You hear me? The past. That's where all you tachyonic scum belong, winning contests before they're even started *grumble grumble*

Meeru said:
You know I think this is kind of why it was a good idea that the previous gaffer gave out keys secretly. :p
Icefrog doesn't want that, I think he is trying to promote the game to not only the hardcore but the new people as well, the skill base contests are like free promotion for dota 2, especially on a huge gaming forum like gaf.

la_briola

Dityrink said:
I have 710 Hours into L4D and I don't think it should be done that way, but if it is let me know lol.
I give you my 1500 (one game last between 30-60 minutes) games from '09 until now and maybe even more from before that (I only have "records" of the time since '09), and I too think, that it should not be done that way ;)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DotaGAF vs LoLGAF vs HoNGAF

THREE TEAMS ENTER ONE TEAM LEAVES.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Halycon said:

HoNGAF will rage at each other all game and say LOL SALTY.
LoLGAF can't deny creeps.

Looks like DotAGAF wins again. :(

Halycon said:

Archie said:
HoNGAF will rage at each other all game and say LOL SALTY.
LoLGAF can't deny creeps.
Looks like DotAGAF wins again. :(

Pfffft. I'd grab the best of LoL GAF and throw them at HoN GAF.

Too bad I'm not in that number, even if I do play serviceable tanks and ranged DPS. :(

deleted

Botolf said:
A "best of three" Dota1-LoL-HoN rotating super tourney would be cool, but only if we had time :[

Wouldn't work on a world wide scale anyway as LoL has region blocking, would it?

Spookie

Man this thread EXPLODED overnight didn't it? I guess I don't have to update the database since it's been copypasta'ed to the other thread?

Zafir

TheExodu5 said:
Because how early you got on the list has no bearing on how much you deserve the beta. Either give it out to the HoN/LoL regulars, or give them out randomly.

Anyways, the list hasn't been updated in a day and a half, so I appear to not be on it. =\
Those of us who still play the Warcraft 3 dota get no love then? :p

Spookie said:
Man this thread EXPLODED overnight didn't it? I guess I don't have to update the database since it's been copypasta'ed to the other thread?
Yea thanks for the list, I have it all updated for the contest thread.

Meeru add me on steam, names ghost.

Still undecided about the skill based contests, trying to set up dota games and having a tournament will take a long time, especially when 600+ are interested in the game.

Hopefully in the future I can get more keys for gaf.

deleted

Anilusion said:
IceFrog aint replying to my emails :/ how long does it usually take?

I think he answers pretty fast or never. Imagine when you're working on a popular game with a public mail address that gets a few hundred mails per day... I wouldn't / couldn't answer all of them.

Meeru

Banned
GhostRidah said:

Still undecided about the skill based contests, trying to set up dota games and having a tournament will take a long time, especially when 600+ are interested in the game.

I'll add you once I get home, I can play 12pm-4pm central today and 6am to 6pm on thursday. does that work for you?

GhostRidah said:

How about the player that has improved the most dramatically in a MOBA game (One for HoN, one for LoL) in the past year?

psssssst, I'm the most improved for LoL

ksan

GhostRiddah, great job and thanks for fixing the keys!
Was about to write a reply this morning but had to run to the bus...

It seems that giving out the key randomly is one of the few ways to make it work, obviously there's the risk of people who aren't really that interested getting the key (and I wasn't about too worried about that this morning, but once the thread exploded there's a shit load of people that I've never seen in any DotA 2 topic).
I think we gotta take the risk, and hopefully we get some cool contests as you said too.

Meeru said:
You know I think this is kind of why it was a good idea that the previous gaffer gave out keys secretly. :p
I really don't agree with that sentiment at all, I'd go as far as saying that it's outright pathetic, saying that the keys are for gaf to Icefrog and then not even disclose who get them here. Then again I'm not Berlusconi or a DC lobbyist, so it might be BAU.

edit: of course I mean if that's how it went down, and that's the impression I got when GhostRiddah said that Icefrog had mailed him that someone already got keys for GAF.

CaLe

Sooooo.. Who should I allow to touch me to get a key around here ?

I have very soft skin.

Please don't tell my girlfriend.

Top Bottom