• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Key begging and IceFrog Worship

alba

Little is the new Big
GhostRidah said:
Great news guys and girls, Icefrog being the awesome person that he is has given me keys to give to gaf :D

I will make a new thread with details and I will take the list already here.

Since there are not many I will do a random key giveaway, that way everyone has a shot at a key.

Nice :)

Card Boy

Banned
GhostRidah said:
I will have to split the giveaways, half will be random giveaway and the other half will be skilled based.

Icefrog wants it to be interesting.

Why not go down the list? I'm 180 something so this is a unbiased post.

markot said:
Skill based? But I dont got none >_<
Well by skill I mean contests like

Who can create the best Neogaf Dota Hero
Show how much you love dota through a pic of yourself doing something dota related
Make a Dota guide thats informal to new players

Please post some ideas.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
GhostRidah said:
Great news guys and girls, Icefrog being the awesome person that he is has given me keys to give to gaf :D

Since there are not many I will do a random key giveaway, that way everyone has a shot at a key.
You just going to take the list and random it, and in the thread say who won and how to win the other 3?

Card Boy

Banned
GhostRidah said:
It is more fair if I just pick people out of a hat than go by first come first basis.

No worries.

GhostRidah said:
Well by skill I mean contests like

Who can create the best Neogaf Dota Hero
Show how much you love dota through a pic of yourself doing something dota related
Make a Dota guide thats informal to new players

Please post some ideas.

I say best Dota hero, maybe it will catch on and make the game eventually. Plus i love seeing peoples shop skills.

Ikuu

I'd be happy with going down the list ;)
I H8 Memes said:
But how are you going to randomly choose? Like names in a hat or something? That would be a lot of work for you.
There's a sorted Excel file of the names, or was, take the list go to random.org and generate 3 numbers.

I H8 Memes said:
But how are you going to randomly choose? Like names in a hat or something? That would be a lot of work for you.
Make a list of everyone and assign numbers, then use random.org to pick a number

mandiller

GhostRidah said:

Awesome!

/key beg

Horse Guy

Neo Member
How about a contest to see who can come up with the best dota 2 beta key give-a-way contest.
^^
Oh look, the first submission!

x3r0123

why dont we have people play some games. We vote for the people depending on their performace(role and effect in the game)

TheExodu5

Banned
Gez said:
Why not go down the list? I'm 180 something so this is a unbiased post.

Because how early you got on the list has no bearing on how much you deserve the beta. Either give it out to the HoN/LoL regulars, or give them out randomly.

Anyways, the list hasn't been updated in a day and a half, so I appear to not be on it. =\

x3r0123

TheExodu5 said:
Because how early you got on the list has no bearing on how much you deserve the beta. Either give it out to the HoN/LoL regulars, or give them out randomly.

Anyways, the list hasn't been updated in a day and a half, so I appear to not be on it. =\

why only the hon/lol regulars?

Meeru

Banned
I think what we can do is..ill put screens of Dota 2 heroes and items. First person to say hero name and all the items wins a key

Ikuu

TheExodu5 said:
Because they have a large interest in this genre and can actually contribute meaningful feedback for beta testing purposes.
Not sure about them LoL players.

Ceebs

TheExodu5 said:
Because they have a large interest in this genre and can actually contribute meaningful feedback for beta testing purposes.
A person that has never played a MOBA in their life could probably provide just as much feeback though if they are doing more than just competitive balancing with this beta.

TheExodu5 said:

DOTA began way before those two games. I can't be the only one that played daily back in 2004-2005 and never made the leap to LoL/HoN.

vocab

Meeru said:
I think what we can do is..ill put screens of Dota 2 heroes and items. First person to say hero name and all the items wins a key
I play hon. You think I know all of the dota names? I only know a few by name, and few by stats.

TheExodu5

Banned
ProtoCents said:
DOTA began way before those two games. I can't be the only one that played daily back in 2004-2005 and never made the leap to LoL/HoN.

I would have said DotA regulars as well but I don't think we have a DotA community on here.

Goon Boon

Banned
Meeru said:
Let's play the knife game. First person to cut their hand the least number of times gets a beta key. I'll go first.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ceebs said:
A person that has never played a MOBA in their life could probably provide just as much feeback though if they are doing more than just competitive balancing with this beta.
Someone who has zero MOBA experience would get destroyed by the current level of play in the beta. I'm not sure they would get anything out of it at all.

Horse Guy

Neo Member
TheExodu5 said:

Why not people that have logged 500+ hours in tf2? They have brand loyalty that should be rewarded. Also the beta has been combed over by pros for months now, and bug found because someone is skilled at the game has been found. Now just playing the game will yield results, so why not pick someone who plays valve games religiously.

la_briola

TheExodu5 said:
Ah and us (me) who are playing dota for 8 years now, but not LoL/HoN should not? ;)

Sibylus

Banned
- Gaf inhouse tourney, winning team takes 5 keys
- Final key goes to the winner of a custom hero contest

Perhaps something like that? Would kinda suck to not have a random draw, but I figure this would get the most experienced players into the beta (ie not me) and also provide the most value for everybody who doesn't get in.

TheExodu5

Banned
Horse Guy said:
Why not people that have logged 500+ hours in tf2? They have brand loyalty that should be rewarded. Also the beta has been combed over by pros for months now, and bug found because someone is skilled at the game has been found. Now just playing the game will yield results, so why not pick someone who plays valve games religiously.

I would just hate to see an invite wasted on someone who would play for 2 hours, rage quit after getting beat up on by his teammates, and never play the beta again.

x3r0123

TheExodu5 said:
I would just hate to see an invite wasted on someone who would play for 2 hours, rage quit after getting beat up on by his teammates, and never play the beta again.

true then again, people with jobs can't play that often during the weekday

Horse Guy

Neo Member
TheExodu5 said:

I mean what is stopping people from going back to HoN?

Card Boy

Banned
Horse Guy said:

How about no?

Horse Guy

Neo Member
Gez said:
How about no?

I am just saying that everyone is willing to throw keys at genre loyalty, but why not company loyalty? I mean this is a valve game. Shouldn't people that love valve games have an equal if not greater opportunity to support the company again?

Cipherr

Horse Guy said:
I am just saying that everyone is willing to throw keys at genre loyalty, but why not company loyalty? I mean this is a valve game. Shouldn't people that love valve games have an equal if not greater opportunity to support the company again?

Cmon now, this is getting absurd though. It doesnt need to get that deep man.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Time to get remember how to play with the WC3 engine.

Top Bottom