• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

elyetis

I don't play support often and find myself dying a lot as Vengeful Spirit. The other team has a Storm Spirit and Spirit Breaker, so every time I go ward/deward, they kill me, maybe I get the ward placed. All I have 47 minutes in is a Basilius, Force Staff, Phase (had two Arcanes on the team already), and Ghost Scepter.

How the hell do I survive and get more farm as a support? I can never do it. I went 2/12/16 on Vengeful Spirit, and I know you all think a non-positive score is garbage. We still won the game but how the hell do I not die? I ask people to go with me to ward, and usually it's only ANOTHER support who's squishy like Bane. Oh, and Bane had Scythe, Force, Mek, and BoTs... I think I bought every single ward we had all game though.

People tell me "just farm the pull camp", and usually the other team contests it and I'm forced away from it, maybe getting the XP if I'm lucky, or the lane partner needs me out in lane. This is why I don't usually play support.
Vengeful is kind of particular since you put yourself at high risk during team fight with the swap, so you will die more often than many other support.

If you are the only one to ward/deward, yeah you will end up -far- less farmed than the other support, not only he doesn't buy those ward, but have more opportunity to make gold ( pull, push, etc ) and will die less often ( get xp so more lvl/life, won't get ganked while warding )

But not having big item on you'r support isn't a problem in itself, I mean that some of my support hero :

crystal-maiden
keeper-of-the-light
shadow-demon

the three of them with decent win rate, yet you will see many games where I win without many big item on me ( if any ), even on kotl ( well I still get far more farm on him in general ) who do some big push/depush.

Now gold still come from pulls, some depush when a lane need it and no carry come get that farm, tower kill, and some occasional kills you take ( I don't think it's that bad to take some occasional hero kill as a support, at least once you get to the mid game ).

You shouldn't die too much from warding ( thought with the 2 ganker you told about, it sure can happen ), try to ward when it's not too dangerous ( you have vision on most of the ennemy team ) and ward the least dangerous spot ( most of the time why ward the other side of the river when you can simply ward your own side ? ).
Dewarding alone does is really dangerouse thought ( even more so when like me you will miss 90% of your hits because of the lower ground ).

false edit : techies tomorow :plz volvo:

cyborgmatt bro welcome, plz tell me the sf model update is coming soon, I might have to slap artanisix a few hundred times for every day it's not out :(. I CAN'T TAKE THE WAIT THAT CONCEPT ART WAS SO GOOD
But what if the new SF can't wear the Kush hat/Swag glasses/$ chain?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Apparently DotA SF is better than Dota 2 SF in basically every way.

How come? I thought it was just animations and junk. I reckon the Shadowraze/Requiem particle effects look a lot better.

Dota 1 SF can raze while turning, dota 2 sf can't (he has to completely stop in order to raze) and razes just feel slower and clunkier in dota 2 (anecdotal). Even HoN razes felt better. According to 109 big play razes were a lot easier to pull off in dota 1 because of the turn while razing, hence why we don't see as many SF vids in dota 2.

edit: To be clearer, in dota 1 it feels like SF turns WHILE razing, and in dota 2 he turns THEN razes. It makes it more difficult to get off quick razes and to hit that 1, 2, 3 raze on a moving target. It's minor but it makes a difference.

Dota 1 SF can raze while turning, dota 2 sf can't (he has to completely stop in order to raze) and razes just feel slower and clunkier in dota 2 (anecdotal). Even HoN razes felt better. According to 109 big play razes were a lot easier to pull off because of the turn while razing, hence why we don't see as many SF vids in dota 2.
Oh, that's a shame. I wonder if they'll end up ever fixing that or if it's just one of the permanent discrepancies.

Lotto

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

As the tournament evolves, so too will your courier. Reveal new features for your courier by spectating The International matches, granting you new ways to customize its appearance and show off to your friends.

So since Player Cards were added and seem to give Smeevil treats that transform the courier now, does this mean that spectating no longer grants courier upgrades? That sucks if that's the case. I got about 40+ views from the qualifiers alone. I hope they still add some incentive/upgrade to the courier for viewing the Group Stages + Main Stage of the actual International.

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

So since Player Cards were added and seem to give Smeevil treats that transform the courier now, does this mean that spectating no longer grants courier upgrades? That sucks if that's the case. I got about 40+ views from the qualifiers alone. I hope they still add some incentive/upgrade to the courier for viewing the Group Stages + Main Stage of the actual International.

Games viewed increases the particle effect. May or may not end up doing more.

Mononoke

Banned
For those of you waiting up for the patch, it has been pushed back till tomorrow.

Will the patch have Legion Commander. Will it finally have that Death Prophet armor that was said to be in the patch two patches ago but never showed up?

EDIT: Either way fuck. I'm leaving for a 7 day vacation tomorrow. Guess it's a moot point for me now.

I gotta try this game. IGN is never wrong

VaV7oi2.jpg

Never wrong.

Will the patch have Legion Commander. Will it finally have that Death Prophet armor that was said to be in the patch two patches ago but never showed up?

EDIT: Either way fuck. I'm leaving for a 7 day vacation tomorrow. Guess it's a moot point for me now.
Death Prophet's model now has a slot for the custom ghosts, so yes.

Played about 10 hours so far, done all the training. What's the best way to get better? Continue to play bots until I learn a main? Bots with random characters so I can learn the spread? Jump in to human games and just take the abuse (I mean I had a guy saying go back to training IN A GODDAMN TRAINING GAME)? Not going to stop playing though. This game fucking rocks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Played about 10 hours so far, done all the training. What's the best way to get better? Continue to play bots until I learn a main? Bots with random characters so I can learn the spread? Jump in to human games and just take the abuse (I mean I had a guy saying go back to training IN A GODDAMN TRAINING GAME)? Not going to stop playing though. This game fucking rocks.

Ten hours? Dude, get yourself into some human games. Play heroes you know, ignore the abuse.

Boken

Banned
A set with cool ghosts for dp waifu will be the first set I buy

Pity the PA design means every set will probably suck for her

Ten hours? Dude, get yourself into some human games. Play heroes you know, ignore the abuse.

I just didn't want to ruin it for anyone else. I'm kinda anal, if I enjoy something I want to really immerse myself and enjoy everything. I also don't play much online stuff (Anarchy Reigns, Killzone 2 and God Of War 4 have been the only online things I've ever really played). But I will take your advice. DOTA is scratching so many itches for me.

The Technomancer

I just didn't want to ruin it for anyone else. I'm kinda anal, if I enjoy something I want to really immerse myself and enjoy everything. I also don't play much online stuff (Anarchy Reigns, Killzone 2 and God Of War 4 have been the only online things I've ever really played). But I will take your advice. DOTA is scratching so many itches for me.

I almost guarantee that with ten hours of bot practice more people are going to be ruining it for you then you are for them.

The Technomancer

The GiantBomb quicklook is kind of hilarious

"You play football on a field, you play Dota on this map"

"Although in Canadian Dota the map is wider"

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine

Join the ingame neogaf channel. (in the main menu, where the chat is there is a small + button. Hit that and type Neogaf and join it) Then just type there: "Hey I'm Captain Snarky from the forums and I'm new to the game, anyone want to party?"
Worries be gone!

I almost guarantee that with ten hours of bot practice more people are going to be ruining it for you then you are for them.

Join the ingame neogaf channel. (in the main menu, where the chat is there is a small + button. Hit that and type Neogaf and join it) Then just type there: "Hey I'm Captain Snarky from the forums and I'm new to the game, anyone want to party?"
Worries be gone!

Thanks, you guys are great. Should have posted earlier. I'll do that tomorrow because it's almost 3am here!

Anteo

I would love to play with new players but I don't have a smurf account so the MM is going to screw us up if we play

What do you guys do when you pug and youre top, defending, killing some heroes and trying to communicate. Then comes the narrator saying that my bottom tower is under attack and after that the middle tower. My friends die a lot and the enemy has now heroes with a lot of levels. They keep killing and destroying towers. I go back to my base after they destroy every lane tower and stay there, I dont wanna feed them and its impossible to win. I get reported for not helping... is it fair? I just want the game to end and queue again.

Boken

Banned
Just some random rares I picked up from opening chests....just kinda what to see what type of other rares I can get 1:1 or hopefully better than that...
Oh god you bought keys for chests. Better off spending the cash to buy stuff
If I would review dota2 I would give it a 7.5. Graphics looks horrible on low, learning curve too steep and no one plays in your language.
Yo stop fishing for hits
http://www.twitch.tv/anbokr

weekly puppetyuber vs. milkman (artanisix/ellen pudge), sf vs sf mid for items
Anbokr why have you forsaken me you told me you'd give me training if I played dotae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom